3 monitors with SLI enabled issue.
Hey guys, I'm wondering if you can help me.

I have recently purchased a new PC with 2x EVGA GTX580 Classified 3gb GPUs. Each card has only 2x DVI ports on each (making a total of 4 combined). I ran two monitors through the two DVI ports on GPU1 with no issues at all with SLI enabled.

Life was good.

Then I thought about getting fancy and purchased a 3rd one. This is when life started becoming complicated. Because the two DVI ports on GPU1 are used up, I used one of the available ports on GPU2. I was unable to "extend desktop" in my screen resolution settings in windows so I played with nVidia control panel instead. I was able to get all 3 working but it disabled SLI at the same time.

Problems of the first world.

Now, I have 3 monitors at 23". Two of them are identical models however the 3rd (my main) is a 120hz monitor. If I was to enable Surround, my 120hz monitor gets dropped down to 60hz. Even though surround still has SLI enabled, it wasn't an option for me to render my pretty 120hz monitor to 60hz.

Is there a way I can use all three monitors with the center monitor (120hz) as my main whilst still having SLI enabled? Constantly switching from "Activate all displays" to "Maximize 3D performance" unfortunately is too much of a hassle (desktop icons go everywhere, browser chooses which monitor to spaz on, etc).

Thanks in advance guys.

tl;dr
Is there any way I can use all three monitors (with the center monitor my main) and also have SLI enabled?

I have recently purchased a new PC with 2x EVGA GTX580 Classified 3gb GPUs. Each card has only 2x DVI ports on each (making a total of 4 combined). I ran two monitors through the two DVI ports on GPU1 with no issues at all with SLI enabled.

Life was good.

Then I thought about getting fancy and purchased a 3rd one. This is when life started becoming complicated. Because the two DVI ports on GPU1 are used up, I used one of the available ports on GPU2. I was unable to "extend desktop" in my screen resolution settings in windows so I played with nVidia control panel instead. I was able to get all 3 working but it disabled SLI at the same time.

Now, I have 3 monitors at 23". Two of them are identical models however the 3rd (my main) is a 120hz monitor. If I was to enable Surround, my 120hz monitor gets dropped down to 60hz. Even though surround still has SLI enabled, it wasn't an option for me to render my pretty 120hz monitor to 60hz.

Is there a way I can use all three monitors with the center monitor (120hz) as my main whilst still having SLI enabled? Constantly switching from "Activate all displays" to "Maximize 3D performance" unfortunately is too much of a hassle (desktop icons go everywhere, browser chooses which monitor to spaz on, etc).

Thanks in advance guys.

tl;dr

Is there any way I can use all three monitors (with the center monitor my main) and also have SLI enabled?

Posted 03/07/2012 02:25 PM   
[quote name='Aider' date='07 March 2012 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1331130321' post='1379804']

Life was good.

Thanks in advance guys.

tl;dr
[/quote]

I'm having the same problem. I have 3 monitors, and to have them all enabled i have to disable SLI. Switching to 1 monitor with UltraMon is easy enough, but then enabling SLI causes the monitor to switch to 800x600 briefly which of course throws off window sizes and placement, which is unacceptable. Why is there not an option to have 3 monitors enabled with 1 set as the focus display? Or alternatively is there something else i can run that will preserve my window placement once i switch back to all 3 monitors enabled?
[quote name='Aider' date='07 March 2012 - 09:25 AM' timestamp='1331130321' post='1379804']

Life was good.

Thanks in advance guys.

tl;dr

I'm having the same problem. I have 3 monitors, and to have them all enabled i have to disable SLI. Switching to 1 monitor with UltraMon is easy enough, but then enabling SLI causes the monitor to switch to 800x600 briefly which of course throws off window sizes and placement, which is unacceptable. Why is there not an option to have 3 monitors enabled with 1 set as the focus display? Or alternatively is there something else i can run that will preserve my window placement once i switch back to all 3 monitors enabled?

Posted 04/19/2012 05:04 PM   
I had this issue yesterday. Ifixed it in NVidia control panel by turning off SLI. and enabling one monitor at a time. and after turing on SLI which seemed no hassle.
I had this issue yesterday. Ifixed it in NVidia control panel by turning off SLI. and enabling one monitor at a time. and after turing on SLI which seemed no hassle.

Core i7 4960X + TS13X LCS | Palit GeForce GTX 690 | Rampage IV Gene X79 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | Silverstone Strider 1000W Gold Evolution | Corsair Carbide 540 Air

Posted 04/19/2012 05:25 PM   
[quote name='Sliver27' date='19 April 2012 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1334856304' post='1398395']
[/quote]

as soon as i turn on SLI it disables 1 monitor every time.. it won't enable all 3 and set 1 as the focus
[quote name='Sliver27' date='19 April 2012 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1334856304' post='1398395']

as soon as i turn on SLI it disables 1 monitor every time.. it won't enable all 3 and set 1 as the focus

Posted 04/21/2012 04:36 AM   
You can only run a maximum of two monitors with SLI enabled unless you want to use span. However, to run span (surround) you must have three monitors with the same resolution, refresh rate and polarity.

You can always add a cheap 3rd card like a G210 and have it run your additional displays. If you have an extra PCI-E slot that may be your best option and will work great.
You can only run a maximum of two monitors with SLI enabled unless you want to use span. However, to run span (surround) you must have three monitors with the same resolution, refresh rate and polarity.

You can always add a cheap 3rd card like a G210 and have it run your additional displays. If you have an extra PCI-E slot that may be your best option and will work great.

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930k @ 4.8ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull config 4x120mm
RAM: 32GB(8x4) GeIL EVO Corsa 2400mhz (PC3 19200)
GPUs: 3x GTX 680 2GB 3 Way SLI
Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
Accessory Display: 21.5" Asus VS229H-P IPS 1920x1080
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 04/21/2012 02:56 PM   
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' date='21 April 2012 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1335020197' post='1399117']

[/quote]

yeah i understand what the limitation is, hence why when turning on SLI it disables 1 of the monitors. i just don't understand WHY that's the case, i mean 2 GTX 580's with 6GB total video ram should be able to handle 3 monitors with ease, it just seems like a software limitation rather than hardware.. i actually disable all but 1 display to play games generally, but i just want to not have to turn SLI on and off all the time because it wreaks havoc on the location of everything on the screen
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' date='21 April 2012 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1335020197' post='1399117']

yeah i understand what the limitation is, hence why when turning on SLI it disables 1 of the monitors. i just don't understand WHY that's the case, i mean 2 GTX 580's with 6GB total video ram should be able to handle 3 monitors with ease, it just seems like a software limitation rather than hardware.. i actually disable all but 1 display to play games generally, but i just want to not have to turn SLI on and off all the time because it wreaks havoc on the location of everything on the screen

Posted 04/22/2012 01:58 AM   
Scroll To Top