AGP 8x GeForce 6200 Help Various troubles after installation...
Recently, I decided to begin upgrading my computer, piece by piece. I don't have much money, and the machine is fairly old and low tech to begin with, so I only did a few small pieces. The most recent, and problematic upgrade, has been the installation of a AGP 8x GeForce 6200 Video Card.

The card in question that I purchased, can be viewed on Ebay, [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220946748009"]HERE[/url].

I got the card home, and following instructions I had been given, deleted the preinstalled video drivers on my machine, turned it off, inserted the GeForce card, turned it back on, and installed the drivers via the enclosed CD. After that I updated the drivers on the nVidia website.

Here's the troubles I'm having however.

Firstly, the card's fan kicks on far too often. When installed in my computer, the fan points straight downwards. The card lays horizontal, and to fit into the slot, the fan points straight down, with no room to air. There are vents on the case outside the fan, again horizontal with it, but the fan pointing straight down concerns me. Does it still vent sideways?

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is some issues with some games ran on this computer. Before installation of this card, my dad played games on the website Pogo.com. Most commonly was the High Stakes Poker game. That game, along with most on the website, are Java based.

Before, and normally, he'd open Opera, the browser I have set to his account, click his link, and open a room. A new window opens, and the room take 20 seconds to load (there is a timer to keep you at a advertisement screen), then you can select a seat to play in, and another window opens, which brings you to your game.

Right now, in Opera, after the 20 second timer it just... stops. Locks up and refuses to progress to the physical room. I've left it sitting there for 10 minutes, and it does not progress.

I attempted to circumvent this by playing in Firefox. Here, the room does load, and you can enter a seat. However something even odder happens here. As soon as you enter, the hand currently in progress finishes like normal, players cards flip over, tokens go to the winner, and under the winning player the "SPIN" icon flips around to indicate their win.

And then it just stops. No more graphics work properly at all. Occasionally, at the bottom of the screen, you'll still see messages, such as "<playername> has timed out", or "Deal selects Deuces Wild", or such. And the chatbox on the right side of the screen works perfectly, it's just the game that does not.

I've tried completely uninstalling old and current Java, and installing the latest update for both Java and the Java Runtime, but the problem persists. I even tried uninstalling my drivers for the GeForce card, and just installing the ones in the CD that game with my card without updating them, no change.

I haven't tried Chrome or IE yet, but this seems to be a really odd issue to stem from a graphics card.

Finally, I play a online game myself, a very old 2D game called Tibia. I have noticed a significant increase in my framerate in that game, as well as cleaner graphics in my offline games and programs, so I know the GeForce card IS helping some, and is functioning. Within Tibia is the only time the card's fan begins to make noise. And often, about once in every 3 tries, the card's fan will stop immediately if I minimize the game window. I've also noticed that my lag increases significantly while the card's fan is spinning, today I was freezing almost continuously, though I suspect that today might have just been my internet.

Some Specs for my computer...

The computer is a [url="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00280659&dlc=en#N87"]Compaq Presario SR1303WM[/url]. It was bought out of a pawn shop many years ago, I forget how long, but I would suspect it has been about 5.

It came preinstalled with a single 256MB RAM Stick, which was replaced 3 months ago with [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757951220?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]2 512 MB Sticks[/url], bringing it to it's maximum allotment of 1 GB. This upgrade alone increased it's performance tremendously.

The GeForce card was bought to upgrade the current video, which is a Integrated 64 MB card that I believe is built into the motherboard. More info should be available in the link I posted with the computer name. When I was running off of the RAM Upgrade and the 64 MB integrated card, my dad's Pogo Games functioned perfectly, as did my online and offline gaming.

While this upgrade has increased the performance of these games graphically, it has caused my dad's game to apparently cease function, and caused random and intermediate errors with mine, possibly related to cooling.

Any support, or advice that can help me resolve the cooling issue, and the issue with the Pogo Gaming, would be much appreciated. Other then the RAM and GeForce cards, nothing else has been changed compared to the info in the HP URL specs. I do hope this is the right subforum for this, if not, please let me know where I could seek help for this issue.

The Attached File is a image of the computer PRIOR to my installation of the RAM Sticks. It HAS since been cleaned up completely, so that is not the issue, but I included it as the three slots at the bottom, specifically the black slot, is where this card is currently plugged into. I had made this image when searching for RAM Cards originally.

For reference, the case fits directly over the image, with a horizontal row of vertical slots for airing just around the upper PCI slot, though the card is in the black AGP one. I hope that's enough info to come to some conclusion...

[attachment=24699:DSCN5171.JPG][attachment=24700:DSCN5162.JPG][attachment=24701:DSCN5165.JPG]
Recently, I decided to begin upgrading my computer, piece by piece. I don't have much money, and the machine is fairly old and low tech to begin with, so I only did a few small pieces. The most recent, and problematic upgrade, has been the installation of a AGP 8x GeForce 6200 Video Card.

The card in question that I purchased, can be viewed on Ebay, HERE.

I got the card home, and following instructions I had been given, deleted the preinstalled video drivers on my machine, turned it off, inserted the GeForce card, turned it back on, and installed the drivers via the enclosed CD. After that I updated the drivers on the nVidia website.

Here's the troubles I'm having however.

Firstly, the card's fan kicks on far too often. When installed in my computer, the fan points straight downwards. The card lays horizontal, and to fit into the slot, the fan points straight down, with no room to air. There are vents on the case outside the fan, again horizontal with it, but the fan pointing straight down concerns me. Does it still vent sideways?

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is some issues with some games ran on this computer. Before installation of this card, my dad played games on the website Pogo.com. Most commonly was the High Stakes Poker game. That game, along with most on the website, are Java based.

Before, and normally, he'd open Opera, the browser I have set to his account, click his link, and open a room. A new window opens, and the room take 20 seconds to load (there is a timer to keep you at a advertisement screen), then you can select a seat to play in, and another window opens, which brings you to your game.

Right now, in Opera, after the 20 second timer it just... stops. Locks up and refuses to progress to the physical room. I've left it sitting there for 10 minutes, and it does not progress.

I attempted to circumvent this by playing in Firefox. Here, the room does load, and you can enter a seat. However something even odder happens here. As soon as you enter, the hand currently in progress finishes like normal, players cards flip over, tokens go to the winner, and under the winning player the "SPIN" icon flips around to indicate their win.

And then it just stops. No more graphics work properly at all. Occasionally, at the bottom of the screen, you'll still see messages, such as "<playername> has timed out", or "Deal selects Deuces Wild", or such. And the chatbox on the right side of the screen works perfectly, it's just the game that does not.

I've tried completely uninstalling old and current Java, and installing the latest update for both Java and the Java Runtime, but the problem persists. I even tried uninstalling my drivers for the GeForce card, and just installing the ones in the CD that game with my card without updating them, no change.

I haven't tried Chrome or IE yet, but this seems to be a really odd issue to stem from a graphics card.

Finally, I play a online game myself, a very old 2D game called Tibia. I have noticed a significant increase in my framerate in that game, as well as cleaner graphics in my offline games and programs, so I know the GeForce card IS helping some, and is functioning. Within Tibia is the only time the card's fan begins to make noise. And often, about once in every 3 tries, the card's fan will stop immediately if I minimize the game window. I've also noticed that my lag increases significantly while the card's fan is spinning, today I was freezing almost continuously, though I suspect that today might have just been my internet.

Some Specs for my computer...

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1303WM. It was bought out of a pawn shop many years ago, I forget how long, but I would suspect it has been about 5.

It came preinstalled with a single 256MB RAM Stick, which was replaced 3 months ago with 2 512 MB Sticks, bringing it to it's maximum allotment of 1 GB. This upgrade alone increased it's performance tremendously.

The GeForce card was bought to upgrade the current video, which is a Integrated 64 MB card that I believe is built into the motherboard. More info should be available in the link I posted with the computer name. When I was running off of the RAM Upgrade and the 64 MB integrated card, my dad's Pogo Games functioned perfectly, as did my online and offline gaming.

While this upgrade has increased the performance of these games graphically, it has caused my dad's game to apparently cease function, and caused random and intermediate errors with mine, possibly related to cooling.

Any support, or advice that can help me resolve the cooling issue, and the issue with the Pogo Gaming, would be much appreciated. Other then the RAM and GeForce cards, nothing else has been changed compared to the info in the HP URL specs. I do hope this is the right subforum for this, if not, please let me know where I could seek help for this issue.

The Attached File is a image of the computer PRIOR to my installation of the RAM Sticks. It HAS since been cleaned up completely, so that is not the issue, but I included it as the three slots at the bottom, specifically the black slot, is where this card is currently plugged into. I had made this image when searching for RAM Cards originally.

For reference, the case fits directly over the image, with a horizontal row of vertical slots for airing just around the upper PCI slot, though the card is in the black AGP one. I hope that's enough info to come to some conclusion...

[attachment=24699:DSCN5171.JPG][attachment=24700:DSCN5162.JPG][attachment=24701:DSCN5165.JPG]

Posted 03/07/2012 05:22 AM   
Maybe it needs some fresh thermal paste re-applied?
Maybe it needs some fresh thermal paste re-applied?

Posted 03/07/2012 06:30 AM   
To.. what? Was my understanding thermal paste wasn't involved in a graphics card installation, it's just gold-pin contacts and a slot. The card was new, so the fan shouldn't need any, and while the picture provided shows the processor as filthy, it was cleaned and put back in properly.

Order of progress was this...

Original PC
Years later, pictures provided
Cleaned
RAM Upgraded
(Everything still works fine)
3 months later, which is right now, put in new graphics card.

So things have only gone bad after the graphics card is installed... and I can't figure out how that'd cause the problems I'm having?

Should I just bite the bullet and remove this card, uninstall it's drivers, and reinstall the motherboard-integrated 64MB Card's drivers, as they worked, and just deal with the card being a waste of time and effort?
To.. what? Was my understanding thermal paste wasn't involved in a graphics card installation, it's just gold-pin contacts and a slot. The card was new, so the fan shouldn't need any, and while the picture provided shows the processor as filthy, it was cleaned and put back in properly.

Order of progress was this...

Original PC

Years later, pictures provided

Cleaned

RAM Upgraded

(Everything still works fine)

3 months later, which is right now, put in new graphics card.

So things have only gone bad after the graphics card is installed... and I can't figure out how that'd cause the problems I'm having?

Should I just bite the bullet and remove this card, uninstall it's drivers, and reinstall the motherboard-integrated 64MB Card's drivers, as they worked, and just deal with the card being a waste of time and effort?

Posted 03/07/2012 09:26 PM   
I mean the thermal paste between the GPU chip, and the heatsink with the fan mounted on it. Yeah, you have to be a DIYer (do-it-yourself person) and carefully take the card apart. It is not unheard of that a gfx card gets a poor application of paste from the factory. If it's not glued on, it may have dried up (cheap paste).
I mean the thermal paste between the GPU chip, and the heatsink with the fan mounted on it. Yeah, you have to be a DIYer (do-it-yourself person) and carefully take the card apart. It is not unheard of that a gfx card gets a poor application of paste from the factory. If it's not glued on, it may have dried up (cheap paste).

Posted 03/13/2012 05:35 PM   
Scroll To Top