Passive 3D Displays vs. Active 3D Displays Will these make a difference with how 3D Vision will work
  1 / 4    
This has gotten me a bit curious. I know that 3D Vision is active-shutter based in terms of the glasses and the IR Emitter emits Active 3D signals.
However, would this make a difference if the PC is hooked up to a passive 3D display at all, just as long as it was 120Hz or 240Hz or does it have to be an active 3D display? Just curious.
This has gotten me a bit curious. I know that 3D Vision is active-shutter based in terms of the glasses and the IR Emitter emits Active 3D signals.

However, would this make a difference if the PC is hooked up to a passive 3D display at all, just as long as it was 120Hz or 240Hz or does it have to be an active 3D display? Just curious.

Posted 03/05/2012 10:19 PM   
Active 3D Works togheter with the refresh rate, if your screen is at 120hz, the screen will take 60 hz displaying right side frames and the other 60hz displaying left side frames the glasses just do the job of blocking 60 frames on each eye so you will normally see only left side frames on left eye, and right side frames or right eye.

You aren't able to use Passive 3D With 3D Vision, it is a totally different techonology, Passive 3D don't need 120hz display, instead of losing half frequency (Active 3D) the passive 3D Works with Half Resolution, basically it polarizes the screen vertical/horizontal lines, so one lens of the glasses just display left polarized images and the right, just the righ image so you don't loose any refresh rate, but you are loosing resolution (just like non glasses 3D).

There are a lot of differences Active 3D Vs Passive 3D, basically 3D passive is cheaper but it is also much more limited, you have a smaller range of viewing, can't watch from up close you need a proper distance, also the deph is lower compared with active 3D.

To use nvidia 3D Vision you will need not just a 120hz display but a 120hz display 3D Vision Ready. and buy the Nvidia 3D Glasses.

I know you can use 3D passive with third party drivers, and MAYBE (not sure) with 3D TV PLAY. (ZALMAN have some polarized screens that works with 3D Vision too.)
Active 3D Works togheter with the refresh rate, if your screen is at 120hz, the screen will take 60 hz displaying right side frames and the other 60hz displaying left side frames the glasses just do the job of blocking 60 frames on each eye so you will normally see only left side frames on left eye, and right side frames or right eye.

You aren't able to use Passive 3D With 3D Vision, it is a totally different techonology, Passive 3D don't need 120hz display, instead of losing half frequency (Active 3D) the passive 3D Works with Half Resolution, basically it polarizes the screen vertical/horizontal lines, so one lens of the glasses just display left polarized images and the right, just the righ image so you don't loose any refresh rate, but you are loosing resolution (just like non glasses 3D).

There are a lot of differences Active 3D Vs Passive 3D, basically 3D passive is cheaper but it is also much more limited, you have a smaller range of viewing, can't watch from up close you need a proper distance, also the deph is lower compared with active 3D.

To use nvidia 3D Vision you will need not just a 120hz display but a 120hz display 3D Vision Ready. and buy the Nvidia 3D Glasses.

I know you can use 3D passive with third party drivers, and MAYBE (not sure) with 3D TV PLAY. (ZALMAN have some polarized screens that works with 3D Vision too.)

|Asus P8Z68-V|GeForce GTX 680|i7 2600k|Antec Kuhler 620|8GB Corsair Vegeance 1600|Corsair GS700|Haf 922|Benq XL2410T|

Posted 03/06/2012 06:42 PM   
Now having used both active and passive methods.. I have to say that I really prefer passive.
Reasons for this... Lighter non flickering glasses.. Color and picture appears so much brighter.
Can't go back to active shutter..
Now having used both active and passive methods.. I have to say that I really prefer passive.

Reasons for this... Lighter non flickering glasses.. Color and picture appears so much brighter.

Posted 03/06/2012 08:20 PM   
I've seen passive LG displays, The Cinema TV 55" and the 23" Passive 3D displays and it's cool but not as good as an active display for sure. Active displays have better image, more details I think, it's hard to use words to describe, but when I'm seeing 3D in a passive display, I see some tiny lines and pixels within the image. Now when viewing 3D in an active display or 3DTV, the colours and image looks more realistic and I can't see the tiny lines and pixels that I see when viewing 3D in a passive display.

For gaming I think active displays are much much better than passive. Even for movies I like active more also, but I do hate flickering, and my C7000 Plasma TV 3D glasses, the rechargeable ones are too sensitive and they flicker a lot during action scenes, when 3D gaming and watching 3D movies.

The deal with flickering is an issue with the old IR technology, if you want an active display that is 100% flicker free and have 3D glasses that are just as lighter as passive ones, you should get a 2011 Samsung 3DTV or a Samsung Active 120hz display, cause they all use bluetooth glasses and RF technology, so no more flickering, it's a rock solid link. Also, the 3D quality of the new 2011 Samsung LED and Plasma TV are amazing, it's far better than any LG/Phillips passive 3DTV or display, the ghosting level is much better and the colours are much more vivid. I've seen these models quite a lot and I know what I'm saying.

I am using a S27A950D Samsung 120hz display to play 3D Vision games with drivers 285.62 + Generic CRT mode, it's not 3DV Ready, but I can make it work using older drivers. I am using a very light Samsung SSG-M3750 active 3D glasses with Radio Frequency tech instead of IR, so I have no flicker at all when playing games in 3D and I can assure you my monitor is much much better than any passive or active displays out there in 3D overall quality, even 3D Vision 2 lightboost displays.

Flicker is not an issue of Active displays, it's related to infrared glasses. I have no idea why Sony and Panasonic haven't moved and evolved to bluetooth glasses instead of IR like Samsung did. Bluetooth glasses are the best thing they've come up for improving Active 3D technology in 2011.
I've seen passive LG displays, The Cinema TV 55" and the 23" Passive 3D displays and it's cool but not as good as an active display for sure. Active displays have better image, more details I think, it's hard to use words to describe, but when I'm seeing 3D in a passive display, I see some tiny lines and pixels within the image. Now when viewing 3D in an active display or 3DTV, the colours and image looks more realistic and I can't see the tiny lines and pixels that I see when viewing 3D in a passive display.

For gaming I think active displays are much much better than passive. Even for movies I like active more also, but I do hate flickering, and my C7000 Plasma TV 3D glasses, the rechargeable ones are too sensitive and they flicker a lot during action scenes, when 3D gaming and watching 3D movies.

The deal with flickering is an issue with the old IR technology, if you want an active display that is 100% flicker free and have 3D glasses that are just as lighter as passive ones, you should get a 2011 Samsung 3DTV or a Samsung Active 120hz display, cause they all use bluetooth glasses and RF technology, so no more flickering, it's a rock solid link. Also, the 3D quality of the new 2011 Samsung LED and Plasma TV are amazing, it's far better than any LG/Phillips passive 3DTV or display, the ghosting level is much better and the colours are much more vivid. I've seen these models quite a lot and I know what I'm saying.

I am using a S27A950D Samsung 120hz display to play 3D Vision games with drivers 285.62 + Generic CRT mode, it's not 3DV Ready, but I can make it work using older drivers. I am using a very light Samsung SSG-M3750 active 3D glasses with Radio Frequency tech instead of IR, so I have no flicker at all when playing games in 3D and I can assure you my monitor is much much better than any passive or active displays out there in 3D overall quality, even 3D Vision 2 lightboost displays.

Flicker is not an issue of Active displays, it's related to infrared glasses. I have no idea why Sony and Panasonic haven't moved and evolved to bluetooth glasses instead of IR like Samsung did. Bluetooth glasses are the best thing they've come up for improving Active 3D technology in 2011.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bits - Core i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz - Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z68 - Geforce EVGA GTX 690 - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 (2T) - Thermaltake Armor+ - SSD Intel 510 Series Sata3 256GB - HD WD Caviar Black Sata3 64mb 2TB - HD WD Caviar Black 1TB Sata3 64mb - Bose Sound System - LG H20L GGW Blu Ray/DVD/CD RW - LG GH20 DVD RAM - PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W - Samsung S27A950D 3D Vision Ready + 3D HDTV SAMSUNG PL63C7000 3DTVPLAY + ROLLERMOD CHECKERBOARD

Posted 03/06/2012 10:07 PM   
[quote name='CoppDog' date='06 March 2012 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1331065223' post='1379511']
[/quote]
Totally agree..... i have both technologies (2010 47" Samsung Active shutter, my first 3D TV and LG Passive 3D Cinema) and for about a year ago i only use LG Passive TV for 3D (movies and game with 3DTV Play).
[quote name='CoppDog' date='06 March 2012 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1331065223' post='1379511']

Totally agree..... i have both technologies (2010 47" Samsung Active shutter, my first 3D TV and LG Passive 3D Cinema) and for about a year ago i only use LG Passive TV for 3D (movies and game with 3DTV Play).
Posted 03/07/2012 12:47 AM   
[quote name='Ricardois' date='06 March 2012 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1331059378' post='1379443']
You aren't able to use Passive 3D With 3D Vision
[/quote]

This is totally wrong!!
[quote name='Ricardois' date='06 March 2012 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1331059378' post='1379443']

You aren't able to use Passive 3D With 3D Vision

This is totally wrong!!

Posted 03/07/2012 08:50 PM   
No.. Its right.
3D vision = 3d emitter + nvidia 3d glasses(ACTIVE).

Passive needs passive glasses. A new offshoot of 3d vision(geforce 3d ready?) on CERTAIN displays where the manufactor pays license but it still uses passive 3d glasses. No real difference besides it uses 3d vision interface instead of 3d tv play(I believe). And it can do 1080p interlaced@60 hz 3d / 2. If you want to know which ones I believe it says "Geforce 3d ready". Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
I think this was first one: http://3dvision-blog.com/6529-acer-hr274h-is-a-27-passive-3d-monitor-with-3d-vision-support/
No.. Its right.

Passive needs passive glasses. A new offshoot of 3d vision(geforce 3d ready?) on CERTAIN displays where the manufactor pays license but it still uses passive 3d glasses. No real difference besides it uses 3d vision interface instead of 3d tv play(I believe). And it can do 1080p interlaced@60 hz 3d / 2. If you want to know which ones I believe it says "Geforce 3d ready". Someone correct me if I am wrong though.

I think this was first one: http://3dvision-blog.com/6529-acer-hr274h-is-a-27-passive-3d-monitor-with-3d-vision-support/
I think relaxman meant that 3d-tv play (not 3d-vision) works with passive tv-sets.
I'm using dual polarized projectors since a number of years ago and they still make everything else look like trash in comparison...
The technology has really advanced...
I think relaxman meant that 3d-tv play (not 3d-vision) works with passive tv-sets.

I'm using dual polarized projectors since a number of years ago and they still make everything else look like trash in comparison...

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Cpu: C2D E6600

Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX

3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Stereodrivers: Iz3d & Tridef ignition and nvidia old school.

Posted 03/07/2012 11:51 PM   
@likay
I would totally use your set-up if 3d vision got around to supporting it. No ME3 by helix would make me cry(literally... I am not joking). Though maybe someone will find a way by stacking 3d vision(or play) w/iz3d or tridef (using an nvidia card) and getting to work though.
@likay

I would totally use your set-up if 3d vision got around to supporting it. No ME3 by helix would make me cry(literally... I am not joking). Though maybe someone will find a way by stacking 3d vision(or play) w/iz3d or tridef (using an nvidia card) and getting to work though.
[quote name='eqzitara' date='07 March 2012 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1331163457' post='1379966']
[/quote]

3D vision work with passive monitors, and with edid override with passive tv-s.
So no emitter and shutterglasses needed. Why say i wrong?
Of course the resolution is half, but it's just the current technology limitation.
[quote name='eqzitara' date='07 March 2012 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1331163457' post='1379966']

3D vision work with passive monitors, and with edid override with passive tv-s.

So no emitter and shutterglasses needed. Why say i wrong?

Of course the resolution is half, but it's just the current technology limitation.

Posted 03/08/2012 05:53 AM   
Hello everybody,

I am using passive LG 3D monitor with 295.73 drivers and it works. Nvidia drivers recognized passive LCD.

With most games it works good. But some games (mainly older games) are starting in anaglyph mode.

Do you know if there is any option to force interlaced (passive) mode instead of Anaglyph ???

Maybe (just speculation) older games, which launches in wrong anaglyph mode could use OpenGL ? Solution ?
Hello everybody,

I am using passive LG 3D monitor with 295.73 drivers and it works. Nvidia drivers recognized passive LCD.

With most games it works good. But some games (mainly older games) are starting in anaglyph mode.

Do you know if there is any option to force interlaced (passive) mode instead of Anaglyph ???

Maybe (just speculation) older games, which launches in wrong anaglyph mode could use OpenGL ? Solution ?

Posted 03/08/2012 08:36 AM   
Okay, thanks for all the inputs. Currently I am referring to a Toshiba 240Hz 3D LED TV (32TL515U), which I saw being supported for 3D Play, and wondered just how passive/active displays would make a difference. Seeing as tho this display is both a 240Hz TV with PASSIVE 3D, which they dub as Natural 3D, that led me to wonder just how well 3D Play/Vision would work with such a display.

Recently, I tested my PS3 on this display as well, and downloaded a demo of Killzone 3 SP 3D, and that looked quite good on here. So I'm pretty sure I shouldn't expect less with an upcoming Kepler GPU and a 3D Vision 2 Kit in 3D Play mode. We shall see.
Okay, thanks for all the inputs. Currently I am referring to a Toshiba 240Hz 3D LED TV (32TL515U), which I saw being supported for 3D Play, and wondered just how passive/active displays would make a difference. Seeing as tho this display is both a 240Hz TV with PASSIVE 3D, which they dub as Natural 3D, that led me to wonder just how well 3D Play/Vision would work with such a display.

Recently, I tested my PS3 on this display as well, and downloaded a demo of Killzone 3 SP 3D, and that looked quite good on here. So I'm pretty sure I shouldn't expect less with an upcoming Kepler GPU and a 3D Vision 2 Kit in 3D Play mode. We shall see.

Posted 03/09/2012 01:43 AM   
[quote name='Likay' date='07 March 2012 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1331164273' post='1379968']
[/quote]

I have Polarized Dual Projector setup. Can you please tell me how it works through 3DTV Play. Are you able to set SLI mode ???
[quote name='Likay' date='07 March 2012 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1331164273' post='1379968']

I have Polarized Dual Projector setup. Can you please tell me how it works through 3DTV Play. Are you able to set SLI mode ???

Posted 03/09/2012 05:06 PM   
Can only use tridef or iz3d with dual projectors unless something has changed.
Can only use tridef or iz3d with dual projectors unless something has changed.
My former post didn't come out right i see now. Sorry if i implied that 3dtv play works with it,. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
Nothing has changed since nvidia narrowed down the supported hardware and as eqzitara says you have to use other solutions. It's too bad because nvidia legacy drivers is practically the only way to be 100% without framelag (sort of, with ati, eyefinity and special tweaks within the iz3d-driver some games works successfully with eyefinity mode).
My former post didn't come out right i see now. Sorry if i implied that 3dtv play works with it,. /rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Nothing has changed since nvidia narrowed down the supported hardware and as eqzitara says you have to use other solutions. It's too bad because nvidia legacy drivers is practically the only way to be 100% without framelag (sort of, with ati, eyefinity and special tweaks within the iz3d-driver some games works successfully with eyefinity mode).

Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Cpu: C2D E6600

Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX

3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Stereodrivers: Iz3d & Tridef ignition and nvidia old school.

Posted 03/09/2012 05:55 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top