Dirt3, no stereo separation
Dear 3d vision community,

I recently purchased Dirt 3 via Steam and am having a few problems getting it configured and working the way I want. My setup is as follows:

AMD Phenom, 4G RAM
Nvidia GTX275
Samsung S27A950D

Windows 7 64 bit, SP1
DX11
Nvidia drivers 285.62

I have Nvidia 3d vision configured for a "generic CRT monitor" and 3d is working fine in all my other games.

The game runs fine and I am able to enable stereo 3d but for some reason it appears the stereo separation is stuck at 0 so the game just plays in 2d. I have tried adjusting the separation using the wheel on the back of the usb ir transmitter and by using the shortcut keys and the osd pops up to indicate that the separation is changing but the game remains in 2d.

I have already tried searching forums but all I can find are posts from people for which this game is working perfectly, which is why I bought it in the first place. I have also tried editting this line in hardware_settings_config.xml to enable stereo:

<stereo enabled="false" separation="0.015" convergence="1.5" />

But it has no effect and changes back to false after running the game.

I have also tried reinstalling the game. And this is not easy with steam; you have to redownload the whole thing! I do not want to do that again.

I would like to be able to tell you what patch level I'm running but since steam handles the updates I do not actually know this. It should be the latest though.

I would really like this game to work in 3d because it looks to be awesome. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have tried contacting codemaster's support but they just told me they don't support 3d vision and could not help.

Many thanks,

Matt
Dear 3d vision community,

I recently purchased Dirt 3 via Steam and am having a few problems getting it configured and working the way I want. My setup is as follows:

AMD Phenom, 4G RAM

Nvidia GTX275

Samsung S27A950D

Windows 7 64 bit, SP1

DX11

Nvidia drivers 285.62

I have Nvidia 3d vision configured for a "generic CRT monitor" and 3d is working fine in all my other games.

The game runs fine and I am able to enable stereo 3d but for some reason it appears the stereo separation is stuck at 0 so the game just plays in 2d. I have tried adjusting the separation using the wheel on the back of the usb ir transmitter and by using the shortcut keys and the osd pops up to indicate that the separation is changing but the game remains in 2d.

I have already tried searching forums but all I can find are posts from people for which this game is working perfectly, which is why I bought it in the first place. I have also tried editting this line in hardware_settings_config.xml to enable stereo:

<stereo enabled="false" separation="0.015" convergence="1.5" />

But it has no effect and changes back to false after running the game.

I have also tried reinstalling the game. And this is not easy with steam; you have to redownload the whole thing! I do not want to do that again.

I would like to be able to tell you what patch level I'm running but since steam handles the updates I do not actually know this. It should be the latest though.

I would really like this game to work in 3d because it looks to be awesome. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have tried contacting codemaster's support but they just told me they don't support 3d vision and could not help.

Many thanks,

Matt

Posted 03/04/2012 08:45 PM   
I doing a stab in the dark. The game works in 3D rated Excellent during fullscreen but not in windowed mode which is a sign its running in DX11 mode on my GTX 580.

3D in windowed mode only works when using DX9.

The reason might be as simple as that you are running the game in DX9 mode and 3D Vision is only supported when using DX11.
I'm not saying that is the case but that is a clear difference between our setups.
Another is that you appear to have a CRT aren't those RARE now.
Using Benq 3D Vision LCD.
I doing a stab in the dark. The game works in 3D rated Excellent during fullscreen but not in windowed mode which is a sign its running in DX11 mode on my GTX 580.

3D in windowed mode only works when using DX9.

The reason might be as simple as that you are running the game in DX9 mode and 3D Vision is only supported when using DX11.

I'm not saying that is the case but that is a clear difference between our setups.

Another is that you appear to have a CRT aren't those RARE now.

Using Benq 3D Vision LCD.

Posted 03/04/2012 09:52 PM   
Hi Flugan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I can check if I'm running in dx11 mode? I certainly have dx11 but during the installation dx9 got installed I think. Also I am able to switch between full-screen and windowed mode by hitting alt-enter. Does this mean that I am running in dx9 mode?

I found another hardware_settings_config.xml in my documents which also has stereo set to off but enabling it has no effect again, it just gets reset to off after going into the game. Also in this file it specifies directx forcedx9="false". I can't find anyway to explicitly select dx11 and from other posts elsewhere it appears that if you have dx11 the game will use dx11.

Thanks again,

Matt
Hi Flugan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I can check if I'm running in dx11 mode? I certainly have dx11 but during the installation dx9 got installed I think. Also I am able to switch between full-screen and windowed mode by hitting alt-enter. Does this mean that I am running in dx9 mode?

I found another hardware_settings_config.xml in my documents which also has stereo set to off but enabling it has no effect again, it just gets reset to off after going into the game. Also in this file it specifies directx forcedx9="false". I can't find anyway to explicitly select dx11 and from other posts elsewhere it appears that if you have dx11 the game will use dx11.

Thanks again,

Matt

Posted 03/09/2012 09:51 PM   
...also I'm not actually using a CRT, although I was until last summer. My current monitor doesn't support 3d vision, or perhaps the other way round so I have to do a bit of a hack to get it to work. But it does work and is generally great.
...also I'm not actually using a CRT, although I was until last summer. My current monitor doesn't support 3d vision, or perhaps the other way round so I have to do a bit of a hack to get it to work. But it does work and is generally great.

Posted 03/09/2012 09:52 PM   
You don't have DX11, your first post mentions your using a GTX275. That isn't able to run DX11. Change that forcedx9="false" to "true" and see if that helps.
You don't have DX11, your first post mentions your using a GTX275. That isn't able to run DX11. Change that forcedx9="false" to "true" and see if that helps.

Posted 03/09/2012 09:56 PM   
Aha! I believe I am only running in dx9 mode! I believe this because if I delete the dx9 folder from my installation the game completely fails to run. So then my question becomes, "how do I run it in dx11 mode"?

Thanks again,
Aha! I believe I am only running in dx9 mode! I believe this because if I delete the dx9 folder from my installation the game completely fails to run. So then my question becomes, "how do I run it in dx11 mode"?

Thanks again,

Posted 03/09/2012 10:14 PM   
Richie72, you totally rock dude. I didn't realise I needed special hardware for dx11 since I have the dx11 software. I thought the extra bits in dx11 would just be implemented in software rather than accelerated. Apparently I misunderstood how this works. Anyway forcing it to dx9 magically makes it work in stereo so thank you very much for your help, you have made me a very happy bunny!
Richie72, you totally rock dude. I didn't realise I needed special hardware for dx11 since I have the dx11 software. I thought the extra bits in dx11 would just be implemented in software rather than accelerated. Apparently I misunderstood how this works. Anyway forcing it to dx9 magically makes it work in stereo so thank you very much for your help, you have made me a very happy bunny!

Posted 03/09/2012 10:23 PM   
Glad to be of service, that's what we're all here for. Enjoy Dirt3 in 3D, you'll love it. For the record, since the last update of it, the game crashes in DX11 mode in 3D after a couple of minutes so at the moment it is better to play in DX9 anyway.
Glad to be of service, that's what we're all here for. Enjoy Dirt3 in 3D, you'll love it. For the record, since the last update of it, the game crashes in DX11 mode in 3D after a couple of minutes so at the moment it is better to play in DX9 anyway.

Posted 03/10/2012 12:11 AM   
Scroll To Top