Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered.
  1 / 10    
Hey. Today I started noticing a problem. When I played videos in vlc, there were these flashing dots all over the screen. I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for my card (295.73 - for my GTW 560Ti). The dots are still there in video playback. Now when I watch videos on youtube the video window suddenly turns green, then the monitor goes black for a couple of seconds, and then I recieve this error: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 295.73 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I googled this and couldn't get a good answer. Somebody said something about flash player not being updated. Though when I go to flash's website it says: "Your web browser Google Chrome already contains Adobe Flash Player. Google Chrome is updated automatically when new versions of Flash Player are available" (Poorly translated from Swedish). So I can't download download or update flash player manually, I guess.

Does anybody have the same problem, or a solution to it?

Help is much appreciated!

/Phil
Hey. Today I started noticing a problem. When I played videos in vlc, there were these flashing dots all over the screen. I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers for my card (295.73 - for my GTW 560Ti). The dots are still there in video playback. Now when I watch videos on youtube the video window suddenly turns green, then the monitor goes black for a couple of seconds, and then I recieve this error: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 295.73 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I googled this and couldn't get a good answer. Somebody said something about flash player not being updated. Though when I go to flash's website it says: "Your web browser Google Chrome already contains Adobe Flash Player. Google Chrome is updated automatically when new versions of Flash Player are available" (Poorly translated from Swedish). So I can't download download or update flash player manually, I guess.

/Phil

Posted 03/04/2012 05:09 PM   
This is a sign of bad hardware (more specifically video card, gpu, or memory on the GPU). The flash player and VLC (and other media players) are trying to access the hardware decoder part of the GPU to offload the work from the CPU onto the GPU. If this part of the GPU is failing or malfunctioning, you will experience errors as you have described.

Don't worry about updating Flash on Chrome. While it's doable, the built in Pepper Flash is usually the newest/stable version already in Chrome.

I don't use VLC enough to know where the option is, but you should be able to turn off hardware acceleration for video playback in the options somewhere.

For Flash, right click the video area and choose Settings. Un-check the option "Use Hardware Acceleration" and click "Close". Restart the browser.

Keep in mind this will make the CPU do all the work for decoding the intensive H264 video coding which will slow down the system while video is playing back and use more power (for those with battery concerns). However, this may stop the computer from trying to access the bad part of the GPU thus stopping the white dots/lines/green screen/TDR recovery errors until you can replace the bad part.

[quote name='Philosofen' date='04 March 2012 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1330880988' post='1378469']

/Phil
[/quote]
This is a sign of bad hardware (more specifically video card, gpu, or memory on the GPU). The flash player and VLC (and other media players) are trying to access the hardware decoder part of the GPU to offload the work from the CPU onto the GPU. If this part of the GPU is failing or malfunctioning, you will experience errors as you have described.

Don't worry about updating Flash on Chrome. While it's doable, the built in Pepper Flash is usually the newest/stable version already in Chrome.

I don't use VLC enough to know where the option is, but you should be able to turn off hardware acceleration for video playback in the options somewhere.

For Flash, right click the video area and choose Settings. Un-check the option "Use Hardware Acceleration" and click "Close". Restart the browser.

Keep in mind this will make the CPU do all the work for decoding the intensive H264 video coding which will slow down the system while video is playing back and use more power (for those with battery concerns). However, this may stop the computer from trying to access the bad part of the GPU thus stopping the white dots/lines/green screen/TDR recovery errors until you can replace the bad part.

[quote name='Philosofen' date='04 March 2012 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1330880988' post='1378469']

/Phil

Posted 03/04/2012 08:53 PM   
[quote name='secured2k' date='04 March 2012 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1330894386' post='1378532']

[/quote]

I'm also experiencing a "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" message while in Flight Simulator X. I have a GTX 260 with the latest driver (295.73) installed. My screen goes to black and then the driver message appears and then disappears. My screen remains black forcing me to quit FSX and restart. I tried re-installing the 295.73 driver to no avail. This problem has only occurred within the past week. I've had the 295.73 driver installed since 2/22/12 without any issues until this past week. Could an auto Windows 7 update be a suspect?
[quote name='secured2k' date='04 March 2012 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1330894386' post='1378532']

I'm also experiencing a "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" message while in Flight Simulator X. I have a GTX 260 with the latest driver (295.73) installed. My screen goes to black and then the driver message appears and then disappears. My screen remains black forcing me to quit FSX and restart. I tried re-installing the 295.73 driver to no avail. This problem has only occurred within the past week. I've had the 295.73 driver installed since 2/22/12 without any issues until this past week. Could an auto Windows 7 update be a suspect?

Larry

System: Dell XPS 430 w/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU @ 3.0 GHz, 8 Gb DDR3 memory, eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS w/ 1 Gb GDDR5 GPU, Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0886 Sound Card, 2 – LG W2252 monitors

Posted 03/08/2012 04:32 AM   
I find most TDR errors are hardware fault related. This could be a bad GPU, bad power, cpu overclocking errors, or memory errors. There is a chance that it is software such as a bad driver that hogs low level system resources in a way that the GPU can't communicate that it's still alive but this is rare and unlikely.

It's been stated somewhere on these forums that there was no specific change in the latest drivers to address TDR errors. Also, there have been success stories of people having problems with Flash 11's method of using the hardware acceleration was causing problems with the new drivers where a beta 11.2 Flash did not have the problem.

Remember that the software is generally the same across the board for everyone. The difference in the PC world is the hardware and the software expects a 100% working hardware part and has no idea not to use a bad part of the hardware.

[quote name='Pahlmla' date='08 March 2012 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1331181128' post='1380061']
[/quote]
I find most TDR errors are hardware fault related. This could be a bad GPU, bad power, cpu overclocking errors, or memory errors. There is a chance that it is software such as a bad driver that hogs low level system resources in a way that the GPU can't communicate that it's still alive but this is rare and unlikely.

It's been stated somewhere on these forums that there was no specific change in the latest drivers to address TDR errors. Also, there have been success stories of people having problems with Flash 11's method of using the hardware acceleration was causing problems with the new drivers where a beta 11.2 Flash did not have the problem.

Remember that the software is generally the same across the board for everyone. The difference in the PC world is the hardware and the software expects a 100% working hardware part and has no idea not to use a bad part of the hardware.

[quote name='Pahlmla' date='08 March 2012 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1331181128' post='1380061']

Posted 03/08/2012 06:18 AM   
I too have been experiencing this problem since the new drivers came out (295.73) I just upgraded my old GTX 460SE card to the GTX 560 Ti card, and the problem is still occuring just as before, which is leading me to believe its a software issue rather than hardware *Note I did not have this problem prior to the 295.73 drivers being released but maybe once a month. I just purchased and installed the new 560 Ti card last night, Uninstalling / Removing and Reinstalling the drivers has not helped.
I too have been experiencing this problem since the new drivers came out (295.73) I just upgraded my old GTX 460SE card to the GTX 560 Ti card, and the problem is still occuring just as before, which is leading me to believe its a software issue rather than hardware *Note I did not have this problem prior to the 295.73 drivers being released but maybe once a month. I just purchased and installed the new 560 Ti card last night, Uninstalling / Removing and Reinstalling the drivers has not helped.

Posted 03/12/2012 03:01 PM   
[quote name='secured2k' date='04 March 2012 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1330894386' post='1378532']

[/quote]

Disagree.

I'm having the exact same problem but only in World of Warcraft. Problem was not present until I updated to these drivers. You can't just pigeon hole issues like this into a "bad hardware" category.
[quote name='secured2k' date='04 March 2012 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1330894386' post='1378532']

Disagree.

I'm having the exact same problem but only in World of Warcraft. Problem was not present until I updated to these drivers. You can't just pigeon hole issues like this into a "bad hardware" category.

Posted 03/12/2012 10:36 PM   
[quote name='Dehumanized' date='12 March 2012 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1331591795' post='1381874']
Disagree.

[/quote]

More of a reader then a poster, but I just wanted to let whomever know I am having the same issue in WOW only. Battlefield and SWTOR work fine. Seems just before the driver crashes I get very low FPS….like 9fps

I have 3 X GTX 580’s in SLI but even when I disable SLI same issue. Must be a driver issue (I’m thinking).
[quote name='Dehumanized' date='12 March 2012 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1331591795' post='1381874']

Disagree.

More of a reader then a poster, but I just wanted to let whomever know I am having the same issue in WOW only. Battlefield and SWTOR work fine. Seems just before the driver crashes I get very low FPS….like 9fps

I have 3 X GTX 580’s in SLI but even when I disable SLI same issue. Must be a driver issue (I’m thinking).

Asus Crosshair IV Extreme, 1100T, 4X GTX580's in SLI, 16GIG Vengeance, Creative FX Titanium Pro, Raptor 600 X2 Raid 0, Corshair 1200 PSU, obsidian 800D, ALL ON LIQUID, Windows ultimate 7 64bit service pack1, Games: BF3, SWTOR, WOW.

Posted 03/12/2012 11:10 PM   
[quote name='FEAR-ME' date='12 March 2012 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1331593832' post='1381885']

[/quote]

Alright..... now there is three of us.. someone needs to get busy finding out what is going on... I myself am experiencing the same problem in wow as well. My problem would go as far as shutting down the display drivers and black screening the game...I noticed that if i disabled the sunshafts feature in the video options that everything starts working again. this is a driver issue.. someone messed up.. this was NOT a problem until i upgraded my drivers.. unfortunately my rollback driver wont work or i would go back..

I am using a GTX 550 Ti from evga..
[quote name='FEAR-ME' date='12 March 2012 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1331593832' post='1381885']

Alright..... now there is three of us.. someone needs to get busy finding out what is going on... I myself am experiencing the same problem in wow as well. My problem would go as far as shutting down the display drivers and black screening the game...I noticed that if i disabled the sunshafts feature in the video options that everything starts working again. this is a driver issue.. someone messed up.. this was NOT a problem until i upgraded my drivers.. unfortunately my rollback driver wont work or i would go back..

I am using a GTX 550 Ti from evga..

Posted 03/13/2012 11:47 PM   
I "rolled back" my driver to 285.62 on 3/9 and haven't had the "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem since. I still have a nuisance problem: After starting up Active Sky 2012, most of the screen of both my monitors goes to black. I recover from this by opening a new IE 9 window and use it to "erase" the blackness on both monitors to reveal the original screen displays. Is this weird or what?
I "rolled back" my driver to 285.62 on 3/9 and haven't had the "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem since. I still have a nuisance problem: After starting up Active Sky 2012, most of the screen of both my monitors goes to black. I recover from this by opening a new IE 9 window and use it to "erase" the blackness on both monitors to reveal the original screen displays. Is this weird or what?

Larry

System: Dell XPS 430 w/ Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU @ 3.0 GHz, 8 Gb DDR3 memory, eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS w/ 1 Gb GDDR5 GPU, Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0886 Sound Card, 2 – LG W2252 monitors

Posted 03/14/2012 12:24 AM   
[quote name='Pahlmla' date='13 March 2012 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1331684673' post='1382481']
[/quote]

just had the 296.10 drivers come raging thru.. and apparently they fixed it... Card is working perfectly again... :-)
[quote name='Pahlmla' date='13 March 2012 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1331684673' post='1382481']

just had the 296.10 drivers come raging thru.. and apparently they fixed it... Card is working perfectly again... :-)

Posted 03/14/2012 12:28 AM   
I've been having the same problems. I have a 570 that was running the drivers 295.73. Display drivers stopped responding everything I opened WOW. I switched to the 296.10 and it still does the same thing. Any other solutions anywhere?
I've been having the same problems. I have a 570 that was running the drivers 295.73. Display drivers stopped responding everything I opened WOW. I switched to the 296.10 and it still does the same thing. Any other solutions anywhere?

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz

ASUS P8Z68-V LE

8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series

600W Corsair CX600 V2

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Posted 03/14/2012 02:09 AM   
Update 296.10 does not work for me either. I have a GTX560 TI, i7 940 cpu 12 gigs of ram running win7 ultimate 64 bit os and using a 1000w power supply. It only does this in WOW. Anyone have an idea. i've been having this problem for the last few driver updates.
Update 296.10 does not work for me either. I have a GTX560 TI, i7 940 cpu 12 gigs of ram running win7 ultimate 64 bit os and using a 1000w power supply. It only does this in WOW. Anyone have an idea. i've been having this problem for the last few driver updates.

Posted 03/14/2012 04:15 AM   
[quote name='tukkobi' date='13 March 2012 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1331698543' post='1382568']
[/quote]

try turning off sunshafts in the advanced graphics options
[quote name='tukkobi' date='13 March 2012 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1331698543' post='1382568']

try turning off sunshafts in the advanced graphics options

Posted 03/14/2012 04:17 AM   
The 296.10 driver update appears to have been just what the doctor ordered. So far, so good.
The 296.10 driver update appears to have been just what the doctor ordered. So far, so good.

Larry

Posted 03/14/2012 05:38 AM   
Did you do anything outside of installing the new driver? Unfortunately the new driver did not work for me. Like most only WoW is having this issues as of now.

Specs:
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
600W Corsair CX600 V2
Did you do anything outside of installing the new driver? Unfortunately the new driver did not work for me. Like most only WoW is having this issues as of now.

Specs:

ASUS P8Z68-V LE

600W Corsair CX600 V2

ASUS P8Z68-V LE

600W Corsair CX600 V2

Posted 03/14/2012 01:49 PM   
  1 / 10    
Scroll To Top