Rumor: Valve May Be Working On A Home Console
  1 / 4    
[quote]Last month, Gabe Newell, the boss-man over at Valve, was quoted as saying, "if we have to sell hardware we will." That sentiment may be closer to fruition than we all realized.

TheVerge.com has uncovered a number of difficult to verify, but believable rumors that all point to Valve entering the hardware race very soon. Apparently, Valve is working on spec hardware and software that other manufacturers would be able to license that will play PC games and support the Steam distribution system. Valve would be designing the hardware and software, but other companies would be producing it, sort of along the lines of DVD player technology. This would make Valve's hardware an open system much like what Google has been doing with Android phones. There are rumors that Alienware has already begun designing early prototypes.

The system will be open to many assorted controller inputs, but Valve filed a patent last year for a customizable controller with swappable control sticks, so it's likely that something like that would be the controller that would be included with the system.

The system is also rumored to incorporate biometric scanning at feedback, meaning Valve's system could be monitoring things like where the player is looking and what their pulse rate is, and incorporate that data into game design.

If this is all to be believed, which seems like an exciting prospect to me, we could hear something more concrete as early as next week at GDC, or a little bit later at E3.

None of these details have been confirmed by Valve, so file all of this under rumor, but it certainly makes sense. A fourth player in the console war, especially from a company like Valve who likes to open things up as much as possible to any and all interested applicants, could be a great thing. It also makes makes me wonder about Half-Life 3. When Half-Life 2 released, part of the deal of getting to play it was that you had to download Steam. Valve used Half-Life 2 as a way to get people to start using Steam. You know what a great way to get me to invest in a new home console would be? Putting Half-Life 3 on it.[/quote]

Source:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/03/rumor-valve-may-be-working-on-a-home-console.aspx
Last month, Gabe Newell, the boss-man over at Valve, was quoted as saying, "if we have to sell hardware we will." That sentiment may be closer to fruition than we all realized.

TheVerge.com has uncovered a number of difficult to verify, but believable rumors that all point to Valve entering the hardware race very soon. Apparently, Valve is working on spec hardware and software that other manufacturers would be able to license that will play PC games and support the Steam distribution system. Valve would be designing the hardware and software, but other companies would be producing it, sort of along the lines of DVD player technology. This would make Valve's hardware an open system much like what Google has been doing with Android phones. There are rumors that Alienware has already begun designing early prototypes.

The system will be open to many assorted controller inputs, but Valve filed a patent last year for a customizable controller with swappable control sticks, so it's likely that something like that would be the controller that would be included with the system.

The system is also rumored to incorporate biometric scanning at feedback, meaning Valve's system could be monitoring things like where the player is looking and what their pulse rate is, and incorporate that data into game design.

If this is all to be believed, which seems like an exciting prospect to me, we could hear something more concrete as early as next week at GDC, or a little bit later at E3.

None of these details have been confirmed by Valve, so file all of this under rumor, but it certainly makes sense. A fourth player in the console war, especially from a company like Valve who likes to open things up as much as possible to any and all interested applicants, could be a great thing. It also makes makes me wonder about Half-Life 3. When Half-Life 2 released, part of the deal of getting to play it was that you had to download Steam. Valve used Half-Life 2 as a way to get people to start using Steam. You know what a great way to get me to invest in a new home console would be? Putting Half-Life 3 on it.

Source:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/03/rumor-valve-may-be-working-on-a-home-console.aspx

Posted 03/04/2012 03:48 AM   
another link: [url="http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console"]http://www.theverge....-gaming-console[/url]

apparently called the "Steam Box".
another link: http://www.theverge....-gaming-console

apparently called the "Steam Box".

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/04/2012 05:08 AM   
It could be interesting... depends if they try to build something to compete in the current market or try to advance it.

Looking at UPCman's link - looks like the latter :)

Oh, and where's Ep3!!! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
It could be interesting... depends if they try to build something to compete in the current market or try to advance it.

Looking at UPCman's link - looks like the latter :)

Oh, and where's Ep3!!! /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 03/04/2012 05:12 AM   
One more thing from Valve I'm NOT going to buy. lol
One more thing from Valve I'm NOT going to buy. lol

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/04/2012 07:35 AM   
Theres a murderous fight between existing consoles already, but that doesnt mean there is room for one more.
Valve does have Steam already wich would be a very easy way to purchase games, while other companies are working on solutions to stop secondhand market to sell boxed versions. Personally I prefer digital copies over physical copies, with a house full of kids there's no room for all the game boxes and discs.

I think Valve is being smart, but smartest would be to make the console play PC games depending on the required specs ofcourse, that way they would have millions of likely buyers that already own games playable on it through Steam.
Theres a murderous fight between existing consoles already, but that doesnt mean there is room for one more.

Valve does have Steam already wich would be a very easy way to purchase games, while other companies are working on solutions to stop secondhand market to sell boxed versions. Personally I prefer digital copies over physical copies, with a house full of kids there's no room for all the game boxes and discs.

I think Valve is being smart, but smartest would be to make the console play PC games depending on the required specs ofcourse, that way they would have millions of likely buyers that already own games playable on it through Steam.

OS:Windows 8.1 64-bit CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K - EK HF Supreme Nickel/Acetal Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT CL9 2133mhz @2400mhz Motherboard: Rampage IV Formula Graphics: SLI 3x GTX 680 - EK Nickel/Acetal Waterblocks Sound: Asus Xonar Xense Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, NAS for backups and various other files. Network: Intel 82579V Gigabit, (BBB 1Gbit fiber), Monitor: Samsung S27B971D 27" 2560x1440 PSU: Corsair AX1200 Others: Mad Catz Strike 7, Mad Catz MMO7 Mouse. Using 2x XTX 360 Radiator with 3+3 Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm push+pull, Aquaero 5 Pro.

Posted 03/04/2012 10:40 AM   
If this ever comes about and takes off, say goodbye to s****y console ports.
Yes please.

Yes please.

Posted 03/04/2012 01:53 PM   
[quote name='NicWilson89' date='04 March 2012 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1330869234' post='1378386']
Yes please.
[/quote]

[i]More so a large chunk of piracy knowing Valve. Incorporation of Steam would make it very difficult for unofficial registered copies (digital/retail) to bypass their filtering system. Piracy of course being one of the most damaging aspects to the gaming industry. I do not believe it would rid the industry of console ports, as there is far too much revenue to be had as a developer in cross platform titles. Only few titles (past/present) succeed in numbers on the PC beyond that of their console predecessors...it is a tough pill to swallow being a PC enthusiast, but nevertheless quite true. Revitalization of the PC gaming industry will only occur when "bad" titles cease to exist on the platform, and developers bring back PC exclusives that surpass console technology capabilities. Shortcomings in utilizing advanced technologies such as tessellation, parallax mapping, engine embedded anti-aliasing, and even correct "raw" mouse input are just some of the damaging losses in PC game development that hurt forward progression away from console ports. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='NicWilson89' date='04 March 2012 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1330869234' post='1378386']

Yes please.

More so a large chunk of piracy knowing Valve. Incorporation of Steam would make it very difficult for unofficial registered copies (digital/retail) to bypass their filtering system. Piracy of course being one of the most damaging aspects to the gaming industry. I do not believe it would rid the industry of console ports, as there is far too much revenue to be had as a developer in cross platform titles. Only few titles (past/present) succeed in numbers on the PC beyond that of their console predecessors...it is a tough pill to swallow being a PC enthusiast, but nevertheless quite true. Revitalization of the PC gaming industry will only occur when "bad" titles cease to exist on the platform, and developers bring back PC exclusives that surpass console technology capabilities. Shortcomings in utilizing advanced technologies such as tessellation, parallax mapping, engine embedded anti-aliasing, and even correct "raw" mouse input are just some of the damaging losses in PC game development that hurt forward progression away from console ports.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 03/04/2012 02:13 PM   
Core i7, 8GB RAM and Mobile GeForce GPU. Mac Mini made for gaming. SteamOS, anyone ??
Core i7, 8GB RAM and Mobile GeForce GPU. Mac Mini made for gaming. SteamOS, anyone ??

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 03/04/2012 03:13 PM   
Rufus, you think M$ will license core technologies to valve so that we can get steam OS? You could say WINE but I do not think it has DX11/11.1 compatibility.
Rufus, you think M$ will license core technologies to valve so that we can get steam OS? You could say WINE but I do not think it has DX11/11.1 compatibility.

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/04/2012 03:35 PM   
Yeah, not interested. There's just too many hands in the cookie jar that expect to be paid on this type of collaboration and the product you get looks something like this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5543/alienware-x51-the-xbox-with-teeth

Underwhelming performance/specs with limited upgradability for $1000. Hang it upside down, it might as well be the Anti-PC.

Either way, Nvidia needs to do what they can to get their GPUs in that rig. If they can at least get a solid modular small form factor version of SLI with perhaps an additional external power brick, it may at least provide a decent option for gamers. But a $1000 box with a neutered GPU and specs is just far too uninteresting imo.
Yeah, not interested. There's just too many hands in the cookie jar that expect to be paid on this type of collaboration and the product you get looks something like this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5543/alienware-x51-the-xbox-with-teeth

Underwhelming performance/specs with limited upgradability for $1000. Hang it upside down, it might as well be the Anti-PC.

Either way, Nvidia needs to do what they can to get their GPUs in that rig. If they can at least get a solid modular small form factor version of SLI with perhaps an additional external power brick, it may at least provide a decent option for gamers. But a $1000 box with a neutered GPU and specs is just far too uninteresting imo.

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 03/04/2012 04:14 PM   
[quote name='chiz' date='04 March 2012 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1330877676' post='1378454']
[/quote]
[i]
Its about the service, and software options first with Valve. Also, if it was "massively" upgradable...[b]it would be a PC[/b]. One major advantage in the console's perspective is the even plain of performance that offers leveled competition. Those who would have the financial advantage to invest in extensive upgrades would disrupt that level playing field that consoles offer. This is a main contribution as to why those with powerful PC rigs tend to have the advantage in online gaming scenarios. In the end, much like the tablet market...it is simply another venue...not an absolute replacement. Creative ideas like this actually benefit the PC industry, as those longing for more will eventually be driven to the PC...as nothing can hold a candle to its offerings. Besides, the projections of platform performance/options from Sony and Microsoft on the next generation consoles will not match or exceed a PC...it is fiscal and engineering logic..."we" still win. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='chiz' date='04 March 2012 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1330877676' post='1378454']

Its about the service, and software options first with Valve. Also, if it was "massively" upgradable...it would be a PC. One major advantage in the console's perspective is the even plain of performance that offers leveled competition. Those who would have the financial advantage to invest in extensive upgrades would disrupt that level playing field that consoles offer. This is a main contribution as to why those with powerful PC rigs tend to have the advantage in online gaming scenarios. In the end, much like the tablet market...it is simply another venue...not an absolute replacement. Creative ideas like this actually benefit the PC industry, as those longing for more will eventually be driven to the PC...as nothing can hold a candle to its offerings. Besides, the projections of platform performance/options from Sony and Microsoft on the next generation consoles will not match or exceed a PC...it is fiscal and engineering logic..."we" still win.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 03/04/2012 04:40 PM   
I read the 'rumors' over at SPUF, and it makes sense for VALVe to incorporate hardware to their software, if only to help with compatibilty issues so prone to PC platforms.

A major concern for many would be, "will it be powerful enough to last for years of 'software' innovations"? Much like todays iterations of couchers, will it bring anything positive

to the market?

There are so many Q's and so few answers, not to mention this is only a rumor.
I read the 'rumors' over at SPUF, and it makes sense for VALVe to incorporate hardware to their software, if only to help with compatibilty issues so prone to PC platforms.

A major concern for many would be, "will it be powerful enough to last for years of 'software' innovations"? Much like todays iterations of couchers, will it bring anything positive

to the market?

There are so many Q's and so few answers, not to mention this is only a rumor.

ASUS M4N98TD EVO,

AMD PhenomII 955,

8Gigs-1066 Kingston Ram,

EVGA GTX-285,

Win7/64 bit.

Posted 03/04/2012 05:13 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='04 March 2012 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1330879224' post='1378462']
[i]
Its about the service, and software options first with Valve. Also, if it was "massively" upgradable...[b]it would be a PC[/b]. One major advantage in the console's perspective is the even plain of performance that offers leveled competition. Those who would have the financial advantage to invest in extensive upgrades would disrupt that level playing field that consoles offer. This is a main contribution as to why those with powerful PC rigs tend to have the advantage in online gaming scenarios. In the end, much like the tablet market...it is simply another venue...not an absolute replacement. Creative ideas like this actually benefit the PC industry, as those longing for more will eventually be driven to the PC...as nothing can hold a candle to its offerings. Besides, the projections of platform performance/options from Sony and Microsoft on the next generation consoles will not match or exceed a PC...it is fiscal and engineering logic..."we" still win. [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]
Whatever perceived benefit there is from Valve's service isn't limited to this platform and it certainly isn't going to offer any additional benefit in terms of service, compatibility or performance compared to the consoles. If anything, Steam just adds to the bloat. Just look at your processes, Steam sitting there doing nothing uses up ~1/5th of the XBox's total system memory budget @100MB. Its obvious Steam hopes to emulate Microsoft's success with the XBox and envisions themselves as more of an XBox Live presence going forward if this is what they're truly planning.

But the problem with this proposed platform is many-fold:

[list]
[*]1) It offers almost NONE of the upgradability of a PC. 330W Total System Power and external power brick all but ensures this.
[*]2) It carries ALL of the bloat of a modern PC, unused OS services, hardware drivers and Steam itself.
[*]3) It doesn't have any of the hardware optimizations you'll find on consoles. It does give somewhat target hardware for devs although I'm sure this will vary wildly between Steaming PileBox OEMs.
[*]4) Carries an extreme premium in price compared to consoles without signifantly better specs or performance while too similarly priced to mid-tower PC offerings that offer better performance.
[/list]

The only benefit it offers is small form factor and plug n' play type compatibility similar to the consoles, but that's about it.

In the end its going to be tied to DirectX if its going to remain PC-compatible. DirectX compatible means they're tied to Windows OS. Windows OS means they're going to enjoy the same bloat that makes the PC so terribly inefficient compared to consoles with much less powerful hardware. There's only 1 solution to this problem, to trim down the bloat, Microsoft realized this and executed on it years ago with the XBox. But do you really think they are going to do the same for Valve when Valve's goal is to erode their marketshare with a direct competitor to their console business? I don't think so.
[quote name='Righthooks' date='04 March 2012 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1330879224' post='1378462']

Its about the service, and software options first with Valve. Also, if it was "massively" upgradable...it would be a PC. One major advantage in the console's perspective is the even plain of performance that offers leveled competition. Those who would have the financial advantage to invest in extensive upgrades would disrupt that level playing field that consoles offer. This is a main contribution as to why those with powerful PC rigs tend to have the advantage in online gaming scenarios. In the end, much like the tablet market...it is simply another venue...not an absolute replacement. Creative ideas like this actually benefit the PC industry, as those longing for more will eventually be driven to the PC...as nothing can hold a candle to its offerings. Besides, the projections of platform performance/options from Sony and Microsoft on the next generation consoles will not match or exceed a PC...it is fiscal and engineering logic..."we" still win.

-Hooks

Whatever perceived benefit there is from Valve's service isn't limited to this platform and it certainly isn't going to offer any additional benefit in terms of service, compatibility or performance compared to the consoles. If anything, Steam just adds to the bloat. Just look at your processes, Steam sitting there doing nothing uses up ~1/5th of the XBox's total system memory budget @100MB. Its obvious Steam hopes to emulate Microsoft's success with the XBox and envisions themselves as more of an XBox Live presence going forward if this is what they're truly planning.

But the problem with this proposed platform is many-fold:

• 1) It offers almost NONE of the upgradability of a PC. 330W Total System Power and external power brick all but ensures this.
  • 2) It carries ALL of the bloat of a modern PC, unused OS services, hardware drivers and Steam itself.
  • 3) It doesn't have any of the hardware optimizations you'll find on consoles. It does give somewhat target hardware for devs although I'm sure this will vary wildly between Steaming PileBox OEMs.
  • 4) Carries an extreme premium in price compared to consoles without signifantly better specs or performance while too similarly priced to mid-tower PC offerings that offer better performance.

The only benefit it offers is small form factor and plug n' play type compatibility similar to the consoles, but that's about it.

In the end its going to be tied to DirectX if its going to remain PC-compatible. DirectX compatible means they're tied to Windows OS. Windows OS means they're going to enjoy the same bloat that makes the PC so terribly inefficient compared to consoles with much less powerful hardware. There's only 1 solution to this problem, to trim down the bloat, Microsoft realized this and executed on it years ago with the XBox. But do you really think they are going to do the same for Valve when Valve's goal is to erode their marketshare with a direct competitor to their console business? I don't think so.

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 03/04/2012 05:29 PM   
I'm expecting an alienware with a steam sticker on top.
I'm expecting an alienware with a steam sticker on top.
Posted 03/04/2012 05:36 PM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='04 March 2012 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1330875330' post='1378436']
[/quote]
I dunno, just a thought. Some kinda cut-down version of Windows with C++, DX9.0c, whatever is enough for games to run, and then make the UI 100% Steam biased.

Vavle sleeps with money stuck up their arses. Whatever money can buy, Valve can do :P
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='04 March 2012 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1330875330' post='1378436']

I dunno, just a thought. Some kinda cut-down version of Windows with C++, DX9.0c, whatever is enough for games to run, and then make the UI 100% Steam biased.

Vavle sleeps with money stuck up their arses. Whatever money can buy, Valve can do :P

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 03/04/2012 05:54 PM   
  1 / 4    
Scroll To Top