Batman: Arkham City Optimal Settings vs. Graphics Breakdown & Performance Guide Why are they not
Hi there

I just checked out the recently released optimal settings for Batman: Arkham City and was quite surprised: Why are the optimal settings different than the ones published in the Graphics Breakdown & Performance Guide?

Example for the GTX 570:

Optimal Settings; Performance Guide
Resolution 1920x1200; 1920x1080
Anti-Aliasing CSAA 32x; FXAA High
DX11 Tesselation Off; High
DX11 Effects Off; Enabled
Avg FPS 46; 44.3

What changed between the release of those two guides that suddenly worsens the FPS effects of the DX11 features?
Hi there

I just checked out the recently released optimal settings for Batman: Arkham City and was quite surprised: Why are the optimal settings different than the ones published in the Graphics Breakdown & Performance Guide?

Example for the GTX 570:

Avg FPS 46; 44.3

What changed between the release of those two guides that suddenly worsens the FPS effects of the DX11 features?

Posted 03/03/2012 01:37 PM   
Because DX11 WONT GO!! I HAVE GTX590 AND CANT PLAY WITH DX11,BECAUSE THER IS BIG STUTTERING.

[quote name='Gorefiend86' date='03 March 2012 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1330781863' post='1377977']
Hi there

Example for the GTX 570:

Avg FPS 46; 44.3

[/quote]
Because DX11 WONT GO!! I HAVE GTX590 AND CANT PLAY WITH DX11,BECAUSE THER IS BIG STUTTERING.

[quote name='Gorefiend86' date='03 March 2012 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1330781863' post='1377977']

Hi there

Example for the GTX 570:

Avg FPS 46; 44.3

Posted 03/04/2012 01:53 PM   
I noticed this, I can't see that the extra 120 pixels in height should make a difference, maybe the 2nd time they tested it they prioritised having a much higher anti aliasing then was necessary which limited performance in other areas. CSAA requires a lot of memory and GPU grunt, whereas FXAA uses shaders instead.

I Checked the 1680x1050 settings for the 560TI and it's a similar story, even though I can actually play the game all the way through with tessellation and physx set to max whilst using FXAA (apart from a couple of textures that really shouldn't cause slowdown but do, [spoiler]and the joker fight scene with the trains[/spoiler] but that only started slowing down when Physx was updated so I know it's possible to play on my hardware, just not with these current drivers) There is still sometimes a very minor stutter when the engine loads into different areas, similar to when you went through doors on a slower computer in Arkham Asylum, but it is hardly game breaking and only very occasional.

Considering that the Engine was only originally designed for small areas I think the developers have worked miracles to put this together. On the other hand I get the impression that during the month long wait for the PC version, the developers can't have even tried to run the game on a normal PC as they would have seen all the issues we've been having instantly.

Considering this game came with many Nvidia Graphics cards, and is pretty much their flagship game that uses all the gaming technology that should make Nvidia cards shine, I think TWIMTBP should still be looking into how to improve performance and making this game a seamlessly polished experience, instead of just telling us to turn down settings.
I noticed this, I can't see that the extra 120 pixels in height should make a difference, maybe the 2nd time they tested it they prioritised having a much higher anti aliasing then was necessary which limited performance in other areas. CSAA requires a lot of memory and GPU grunt, whereas FXAA uses shaders instead.

I Checked the 1680x1050 settings for the 560TI and it's a similar story, even though I can actually play the game all the way through with tessellation and physx set to max whilst using FXAA (apart from a couple of textures that really shouldn't cause slowdown but do, [spoiler]and the joker fight scene with the trains[/spoiler] but that only started slowing down when Physx was updated so I know it's possible to play on my hardware, just not with these current drivers) There is still sometimes a very minor stutter when the engine loads into different areas, similar to when you went through doors on a slower computer in Arkham Asylum, but it is hardly game breaking and only very occasional.

Considering that the Engine was only originally designed for small areas I think the developers have worked miracles to put this together. On the other hand I get the impression that during the month long wait for the PC version, the developers can't have even tried to run the game on a normal PC as they would have seen all the issues we've been having instantly.

Considering this game came with many Nvidia Graphics cards, and is pretty much their flagship game that uses all the gaming technology that should make Nvidia cards shine, I think TWIMTBP should still be looking into how to improve performance and making this game a seamlessly polished experience, instead of just telling us to turn down settings.

Posted 03/12/2012 05:25 PM   
A patch supposedly came out on March 19, 2012 for Batman Arkham City to address SLI issues/etc... My two GTX 580's only get 48 FPS on Max settings...
A patch supposedly came out on March 19, 2012 for Batman Arkham City to address SLI issues/etc... My two GTX 580's only get 48 FPS on Max settings...

Posted 03/29/2012 09:47 AM   
With FXAA High and Max Settings (DX11 features on) I usually have around 30fps. It's not great, but playable.
With FXAA High and Max Settings (DX11 features on) I usually have around 30fps. It's not great, but playable.

Posted 03/29/2012 09:53 AM   
[quote name='Gorefiend86' date='29 March 2012 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1333014796' post='1389448']
[/quote]

Is your CPU overclocked? I find an extra GHz makes all the difference.
[quote name='Gorefiend86' date='29 March 2012 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1333014796' post='1389448']

Posted 03/29/2012 11:54 AM   
[quote name='deders' date='29 March 2012 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1333022047' post='1389475']
[/quote]

Not yet, but I'm almost through with the game anyway. Thanks for the advice, though.
[quote name='deders' date='29 March 2012 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1333022047' post='1389475']

Not yet, but I'm almost through with the game anyway. Thanks for the advice, though.

Posted 03/29/2012 12:00 PM   
Scroll To Top