My first few hours with a geforce
So, i was running crossfire XFX 5770, which ran pretty good, and ate most games without problems, but none the less they were getting older, so i decided to sell em both and invest in a new card.

And here i am just 2 hours after installing a gtx 570, so far so good, driver installation went just as easy as with ATI, we are off to a good start.
Just quickly started wot for 30 min, adjusted graphics settings a bit, played some games, and i noticed that the noise level didn't really go up, wot might not be crytek, but it's still only a 1 year old game, so i'd expect some change, but didn't notice any, that was quite cool.

So i hit up the drivers to see what you get different from ATI. Most of the stuff was about the same i guess, noticed some differences, as in the ATI driver are more user friendly, better presentation and explanation.
Some differences in video player like pulldown detection, and some other stuff, might not be important.
As far as i've played around, there is no where you can see gpu load, fan speed & temperature, which i found kinda odd.
Nor can you adjust gpu/ram freq & fan speed. Guess nvidia is not a fan of overclocking. A little speed bump doesn't hurt, when you've done your research.

Overall i'm happy with the card, but i feel i'm missing some features in the drivers. The heatsink and cooler looks like it can handle things. Again, overall happy.
So, i was running crossfire XFX 5770, which ran pretty good, and ate most games without problems, but none the less they were getting older, so i decided to sell em both and invest in a new card.

And here i am just 2 hours after installing a gtx 570, so far so good, driver installation went just as easy as with ATI, we are off to a good start.

Just quickly started wot for 30 min, adjusted graphics settings a bit, played some games, and i noticed that the noise level didn't really go up, wot might not be crytek, but it's still only a 1 year old game, so i'd expect some change, but didn't notice any, that was quite cool.

So i hit up the drivers to see what you get different from ATI. Most of the stuff was about the same i guess, noticed some differences, as in the ATI driver are more user friendly, better presentation and explanation.

Some differences in video player like pulldown detection, and some other stuff, might not be important.

As far as i've played around, there is no where you can see gpu load, fan speed & temperature, which i found kinda odd.

Nor can you adjust gpu/ram freq & fan speed. Guess nvidia is not a fan of overclocking. A little speed bump doesn't hurt, when you've done your research.

Overall i'm happy with the card, but i feel i'm missing some features in the drivers. The heatsink and cooler looks like it can handle things. Again, overall happy.

Posted 03/02/2012 05:05 PM   
[quote name='fusk' date='02 March 2012 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1330707903' post='1377650']As far as i've played around, there is no where you can see gpu load, fan speed & temperature, which i found kinda odd.[/quote]

Go get free MSI AfterBurner (aka MSI AB) for voltage/clock/fan tinkering.
[quote name='fusk' date='02 March 2012 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1330707903' post='1377650']As far as i've played around, there is no where you can see gpu load, fan speed & temperature, which i found kinda odd.

Go get free MSI AfterBurner (aka MSI AB) for voltage/clock/fan tinkering.

Posted 03/02/2012 07:01 PM   
And EVGA Precision has feature where you can display GPU temperature, fan speed, VRAM usage, etc. either as superimposed text on top of your game or if you have one of those keyboards with LCD panels, like the Logitech G15, you can display it there as well.

It is also free download and contrary to what the name implies, it works with all brands of nVidia cards, not only EVGA.

Welcome to the Green Team!
And EVGA Precision has feature where you can display GPU temperature, fan speed, VRAM usage, etc. either as superimposed text on top of your game or if you have one of those keyboards with LCD panels, like the Logitech G15, you can display it there as well.

It is also free download and contrary to what the name implies, it works with all brands of nVidia cards, not only EVGA.

Welcome to the Green Team!

Posted 03/02/2012 09:16 PM   
Asus "GPU tweak" or "MSI Afterburner" get my vote... The MSI has more information but one less feature then the Asus version.

But I agree, ATI has the superior control panel!
Asus "GPU tweak" or "MSI Afterburner" get my vote... The MSI has more information but one less feature then the Asus version.

But I agree, ATI has the superior control panel!

Posted 03/02/2012 11:58 PM   
Yes, was just curious about how the card felt inside it's new home, just wanted to know the stats while a game was running.
It's not like i'm a hardcore overclocker or something, on my ATI 5770 all i did was raise gpu from 850 to 905 mhz, and ram from 1200 to 1310, just a small oc.

Does afterburner or gpu tweak integrate into the driver panel, or is this another program that needs running in taskbar ?

But do you really need those apps just to get some gpu/fan info, or doing light consumer oc ?
I find it really weird that this is not default in the drivers, i have no idea what temps are, what the gpu load is from a game or how much the fan is working.
Maybe one should submit a support ticket and mention that if ATI can do it, so can nvidia, cause as far as i know they been in the game longer than ATI.

Just a thought.
Yes, was just curious about how the card felt inside it's new home, just wanted to know the stats while a game was running.

It's not like i'm a hardcore overclocker or something, on my ATI 5770 all i did was raise gpu from 850 to 905 mhz, and ram from 1200 to 1310, just a small oc.

Does afterburner or gpu tweak integrate into the driver panel, or is this another program that needs running in taskbar ?

But do you really need those apps just to get some gpu/fan info, or doing light consumer oc ?

I find it really weird that this is not default in the drivers, i have no idea what temps are, what the gpu load is from a game or how much the fan is working.

Maybe one should submit a support ticket and mention that if ATI can do it, so can nvidia, cause as far as i know they been in the game longer than ATI.

Just a thought.

Posted 03/03/2012 02:12 AM   
[quote name='fusk' date='02 March 2012 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1330740738' post='1377839']

Just a thought.
[/quote]

I hear ya crystal clear, and I agree!

But unfortunately, the Gforce cards do require a 2nd party app, or 3rd if you include Windows into the mix. The static driver itself does not do what we wish it could do by ATI standards. So it is what it is... However, Nvidia "Ntune" is more along the lines of what we're talking about. It does integrate into the control panel/system driver, but there is a new name for it now and for the life of me I cannot recall that name. I used it but didn't care for it personally speaking. The last thing any of us needs is more crap running in the background, but in the case of GPU Tweak or MSI afterburner or Ntune, it's a necessary evil with any Gforce card. The only way to receive the simple tools and info we all want to see, well, they make an application for that.

But trust me when I say, no-one hates that fact more then I....
[quote name='fusk' date='02 March 2012 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1330740738' post='1377839']

Just a thought.

But unfortunately, the Gforce cards do require a 2nd party app, or 3rd if you include Windows into the mix. The static driver itself does not do what we wish it could do by ATI standards. So it is what it is... However, Nvidia "Ntune" is more along the lines of what we're talking about. It does integrate into the control panel/system driver, but there is a new name for it now and for the life of me I cannot recall that name. I used it but didn't care for it personally speaking. The last thing any of us needs is more crap running in the background, but in the case of GPU Tweak or MSI afterburner or Ntune, it's a necessary evil with any Gforce card. The only way to receive the simple tools and info we all want to see, well, they make an application for that.

Posted 03/03/2012 03:18 AM   
Funny how times change. OC'ing used to be the province of the hardcore. Now it seems that everyone want's to do it to both the cpu and gpu. I take that back. 'Casual' computer users and gamers still don't OC. So I reckon you [i]are[/i] hardcore [i]fusk[/i] /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> .
Even if OC'ing and user fan speed settings were integrated into the drivers (adding another layer of complexity and probably doubling the number of posts complaining about drivers)
you would still need a user interface, so there would still be no real difference from using Afterburner, or any of the other OC apps.

As with Nvidia Control Panel, the Catalyst Control Center is actually separate to the drivers themselves. They just come packaged together.
What used to be called [i]nTune[/i] is now called [i]System Tools[/i] -[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html"] here- [/url] - (release date Dec 2011) .
System Tools include 'Performance'(the OC tool) in Control Panel. I used to use it for manual fan speed settings, but have not found a need to change the fan speed profile or use a fixed manual setting with my current card.
[i]Nvidia System Monitor[/i] is useful for temp display and fan speed and comes with the System Tools package.
Having the different functions as separate downloads helps avoid having to install what some may consider bloatware. It would be nice if Nvidia did the same with he HD Audio drivers. It would stop a lot of problems with Realtek Audio conflicts.
Many people prefer the no nonsense interface of Nvidia Control panel to CCC with it's larger use of system resources.

Funny how times change. OC'ing used to be the province of the hardcore. Now it seems that everyone want's to do it to both the cpu and gpu. I take that back. 'Casual' computer users and gamers still don't OC. So I reckon you are hardcore fusk /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> .

Even if OC'ing and user fan speed settings were integrated into the drivers (adding another layer of complexity and probably doubling the number of posts complaining about drivers)

you would still need a user interface, so there would still be no real difference from using Afterburner, or any of the other OC apps.

As with Nvidia Control Panel, the Catalyst Control Center is actually separate to the drivers themselves. They just come packaged together.

What used to be called nTune is now called System Tools - here- - (release date Dec 2011) .

System Tools include 'Performance'(the OC tool) in Control Panel. I used to use it for manual fan speed settings, but have not found a need to change the fan speed profile or use a fixed manual setting with my current card.

Nvidia System Monitor is useful for temp display and fan speed and comes with the System Tools package.

Having the different functions as separate downloads helps avoid having to install what some may consider bloatware. It would be nice if Nvidia did the same with he HD Audio drivers. It would stop a lot of problems with Realtek Audio conflicts.

Many people prefer the no nonsense interface of Nvidia Control panel to CCC with it's larger use of system resources.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 03/03/2012 05:01 AM   
[quote name='t3t4' date='03 March 2012 - 04:18 AM' timestamp='1330744722' post='1377856']

[/quote]

Thanks for your answer, i think i'll have a second look at those programs, see what suits my needs the best.

[quote name='BossDweebe' date='03 March 2012 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1330750910' post='1377880']
Funny how times change. OC'ing used to be the province of the hardcore. Now it seems that everyone want's to do it to both the cpu and gpu. I take that back. 'Casual' computer users and gamers still don't OC. So I reckon you [i]are[/i] hardcore [i]fusk[/i] /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> .

What used to be called [i]nTune[/i] is now called [i]System Tools[/i] -[url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html"] here- [/url] - (release date Dec 2011) .
[i]Nvidia System Monitor[/i] is useful for temp display and fan speed and comes with the System Tools package.

[/quote]

I don't consider myself hardcore, all i did was raise the multiplier by x1 on the cpu, and as for the gpu/ram i just googled stable 5770 overclock, went through 20 different sites, took the average value and scaled it back from the hardcore values "960/1400" to 905/1310, not really hardcore in my opinion. I didn't need to use manual fan speed, the card sorted that out perfectly.
True it might give more post on the forum, i think ATI did it nicely by adding a popup warning when clicking enable overdrive, but even tho the drivers didn't have that function, i'd still wish they just provided the info for gpu load, fan speed & card temp.

Do have 8gb ram, so it's not that bad if another process has to run, at the moment i don't plan to overclock my 570, it's already running 780/2000
[quote name='t3t4' date='03 March 2012 - 04:18 AM' timestamp='1330744722' post='1377856']

Thanks for your answer, i think i'll have a second look at those programs, see what suits my needs the best.

[quote name='BossDweebe' date='03 March 2012 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1330750910' post='1377880']

Funny how times change. OC'ing used to be the province of the hardcore. Now it seems that everyone want's to do it to both the cpu and gpu. I take that back. 'Casual' computer users and gamers still don't OC. So I reckon you are hardcore fusk /shock.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shock:' /> .

What used to be called nTune is now called System Tools - here- - (release date Dec 2011) .

Nvidia System Monitor is useful for temp display and fan speed and comes with the System Tools package.

I don't consider myself hardcore, all i did was raise the multiplier by x1 on the cpu, and as for the gpu/ram i just googled stable 5770 overclock, went through 20 different sites, took the average value and scaled it back from the hardcore values "960/1400" to 905/1310, not really hardcore in my opinion. I didn't need to use manual fan speed, the card sorted that out perfectly.

True it might give more post on the forum, i think ATI did it nicely by adding a popup warning when clicking enable overdrive, but even tho the drivers didn't have that function, i'd still wish they just provided the info for gpu load, fan speed & card temp.

Do have 8gb ram, so it's not that bad if another process has to run, at the moment i don't plan to overclock my 570, it's already running 780/2000

Posted 03/04/2012 12:05 AM   
[quote]i'd still wish they just provided the info for gpu load, fan speed & card temp.[/quote]
They do, it's just in a separate download which I linked above - System Tools.

The part about hardcore was not completely serious, but when someone is involved in a pursuit they do often loose sight of the 'mainstream' who would consider any form of OC'ing hardcore.
Just as with machine specs, where people with high end machines sometimes end up considering something like a 560 inadequate.
Relative to the majority of computer users and casual games pretty much everyone on this forum is 'hardcore'. Most would casual users would not know a multiplier from a gpu.

Anyway - it's good seeing a post from someone who is having a generally positive experience with their change from ATI/AMD to Nvidia as 99+% of posts are about problems.

True, with the amount of RAM we have these days CCC's use of the system is not the problem it was a few years ago. My last ATI card was 05-06 and I use to curse CCC's slow loading regularly.

[b]EDIT:[/b] btw - I reference to the statement below - I don't get TDR's either, and I finally decided that even though I didn't need the 295.73 drivers, that I had to install them to verify they would
work as well as the 275.33 . No problems yet, and the way things are going I don't anticipate any.
i'd still wish they just provided the info for gpu load, fan speed & card temp.

The part about hardcore was not completely serious, but when someone is involved in a pursuit they do often loose sight of the 'mainstream' who would consider any form of OC'ing hardcore.

Just as with machine specs, where people with high end machines sometimes end up considering something like a 560 inadequate.

Relative to the majority of computer users and casual games pretty much everyone on this forum is 'hardcore'. Most would casual users would not know a multiplier from a gpu.

Anyway - it's good seeing a post from someone who is having a generally positive experience with their change from ATI/AMD to Nvidia as 99+% of posts are about problems.

True, with the amount of RAM we have these days CCC's use of the system is not the problem it was a few years ago. My last ATI card was 05-06 and I use to curse CCC's slow loading regularly.

EDIT: btw - I reference to the statement below - I don't get TDR's either, and I finally decided that even though I didn't need the 295.73 drivers, that I had to install them to verify they would

work as well as the 275.33 . No problems yet, and the way things are going I don't anticipate any.

Posted 03/04/2012 04:11 AM   
you did not got a TDR??
congratulations!
you are so lucky~
you did not got a TDR??

congratulations!

you are so lucky~

GIGABYTE GTX560 T1 (GV-N560OC-1GI )

INTEL CORE I7 2600

GIGABYTE P67/4xDDR3/2xPCIE/ATX/B3

KINGSTON 2 GB 1333MHZ DDR3 RAM X 2

HP PAVILION F1703

WINDOW7 SP1

ON-BROAD SOUND CARD

LG DVDRW SATA BULK BLACK

HITACHI 2TB HDD

ANTEC 620C

COOLER MASTER RC311

Posted 03/04/2012 04:25 AM   
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='04 March 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1330834308' post='1378236']

[b]EDIT:[/b] btw - I reference to the statement below - I don't get TDR's either, and I finally decided that even though I didn't need the 295.73 drivers, that I had to install them to verify they would
[/quote]

I installed system monitor, but the info is not inside the driver, took me some min to figure out you had to start system tool separate from the drivers.
I've worked a lot in the IT business and you're absolutely correct, the majority of computer users are "mainstream" and doesn't know anything about the inside of their machines.

What is TDR ?
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='04 March 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1330834308' post='1378236']

EDIT: btw - I reference to the statement below - I don't get TDR's either, and I finally decided that even though I didn't need the 295.73 drivers, that I had to install them to verify they would

I installed system monitor, but the info is not inside the driver, took me some min to figure out you had to start system tool separate from the drivers.

I've worked a lot in the IT business and you're absolutely correct, the majority of computer users are "mainstream" and doesn't know anything about the inside of their machines.

What is TDR ?

Posted 03/06/2012 03:49 AM   
[quote]I installed system monitor, but the info is not inside the driver,[/quote]
Yeah, but it's a good idea really as it gets more use than CP you can have it pinned to the Start Menu, or use a hotkey, and you can make a log if necessary. Still, it could as easily be in the [i]Performance[/i] Tab in CP as well.

TDR (time delay recovery) is a long story. Basically it is a system built into Vista and Win7 that is supposed to protect the system from self destruct. Similar to BSOD.
If the system lags or lock-up for less than 2 sec it is supposed to recover instead of BSOD. Because this often happens when the gpu is active with something
Windows will report that the graphics drivers have stopped responding and recovered. While the driver may be responsible in some instances people tend to cling to this error message and insist it is a driver flaw,
and often go on to a series of driver re-installations until doomsday.
In addition to other hardware fault options you can get TDR's from conflicting, or system hogging, background processes and Starup apps (one potential suspect is the HD Audio driver that come with the graphics drivers conflicting with RealTek),
or things like trying to play BF3 on a 560 using Ultra settings, and the list goes on. All the old culprits that can lead to a BSOD.

The problem is that a TDR of more than 2 sec will often cause an unrecoverable system freeze, so you're no better off than a BSOD because you have to reboot. You can make a registry entry that may be helpful.
Using a 10 sec value is common, but I think 5 sec should be plenty.
Open regedit then -
Navigate to -
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.
Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,
Then name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set the value to 5.

I've only had one TDR, close to a year ago. I made the registry entry and have not had more, but it may not be the registry entry that has kept the TDR's at bay. It's been a while, but I think that TDR was during a brief
period when I first got the 560ti and had the HD Audio drivers in with my first drivers for the card. I install only the graphics and PhysX components. Keeping an optimised machine goes a long way keeping the TDR's at bay I reckon.

Articles -
[url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx"]TDR 1[/url] -
An Nvidia TDR [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161"]thread[/url]
Another [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm"]TDR thread[/url].

I installed system monitor, but the info is not inside the driver,

Yeah, but it's a good idea really as it gets more use than CP you can have it pinned to the Start Menu, or use a hotkey, and you can make a log if necessary. Still, it could as easily be in the Performance Tab in CP as well.

TDR (time delay recovery) is a long story. Basically it is a system built into Vista and Win7 that is supposed to protect the system from self destruct. Similar to BSOD.

If the system lags or lock-up for less than 2 sec it is supposed to recover instead of BSOD. Because this often happens when the gpu is active with something

Windows will report that the graphics drivers have stopped responding and recovered. While the driver may be responsible in some instances people tend to cling to this error message and insist it is a driver flaw,

and often go on to a series of driver re-installations until doomsday.

In addition to other hardware fault options you can get TDR's from conflicting, or system hogging, background processes and Starup apps (one potential suspect is the HD Audio driver that come with the graphics drivers conflicting with RealTek),

or things like trying to play BF3 on a 560 using Ultra settings, and the list goes on. All the old culprits that can lead to a BSOD.

The problem is that a TDR of more than 2 sec will often cause an unrecoverable system freeze, so you're no better off than a BSOD because you have to reboot. You can make a registry entry that may be helpful.

Using a 10 sec value is common, but I think 5 sec should be plenty.

Open regedit then -

Navigate to -

H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.

Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,

Then name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set the value to 5.

I've only had one TDR, close to a year ago. I made the registry entry and have not had more, but it may not be the registry entry that has kept the TDR's at bay. It's been a while, but I think that TDR was during a brief

period when I first got the 560ti and had the HD Audio drivers in with my first drivers for the card. I install only the graphics and PhysX components. Keeping an optimised machine goes a long way keeping the TDR's at bay I reckon.

Articles -

TDR 1 -

An Nvidia TDR thread

Another TDR thread.

Posted 03/06/2012 04:49 AM   
Scroll To Top