MS giving Tegra based PCs to Devs The Age of Windows 8 and ARM is upoon us
  1 / 2    
Microsoft to Seed Windows 8 Developers, Device Makers with Test PCs Powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 Mobile Processor

BARCELONA, Spain—Feb. 29, 2012—NVIDIA confirmed today that it is working with Microsoft on a program to distribute Windows 8 test PCs to software developers and device manufacturers powered by the Tegra®3 quad-core mobile processor with 4-Plus-1™ architecture.

This seeding program enables these parties to create a rich ecosystem of apps and devices for Windows 8 on ARM-based processors.

“NVIDIA has a long record of supporting software developers working on the cutting edge of innovation,” said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of content and technology at NVIDIA. “We’re furthering this tradition by helping to realize the extraordinary potential of Windows on ARM processors, like Tegra 3.”

“Microsoft is excited to partner with NVIDIA to bring developers leading edge Windows on ARM test PCs to support the creation of compelling Metro style app and device experiences for Windows 8,” said Aidan Marcuss, Senior Director of Business Planning, Microsoft.
Microsoft to Seed Windows 8 Developers, Device Makers with Test PCs Powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 Mobile Processor

BARCELONA, Spain—Feb. 29, 2012—NVIDIA confirmed today that it is working with Microsoft on a program to distribute Windows 8 test PCs to software developers and device manufacturers powered by the Tegra®3 quad-core mobile processor with 4-Plus-1™ architecture.

This seeding program enables these parties to create a rich ecosystem of apps and devices for Windows 8 on ARM-based processors.

“NVIDIA has a long record of supporting software developers working on the cutting edge of innovation,” said Tony Tamasi, senior vice president of content and technology at NVIDIA. “We’re furthering this tradition by helping to realize the extraordinary potential of Windows on ARM processors, like Tegra 3.”

“Microsoft is excited to partner with NVIDIA to bring developers leading edge Windows on ARM test PCs to support the creation of compelling Metro style app and device experiences for Windows 8,” said Aidan Marcuss, Senior Director of Business Planning, Microsoft.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Not employed by NVIDIA, nor do my views represent NVIDIA's in any way.

Posted 02/29/2012 11:50 PM   
link?
link?

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/01/2012 08:30 AM   
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='01 March 2012 - 03:30 AM' timestamp='1330590639' post='1377022']
link?
[/quote]

From NVIDIA's newsroom: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Microsoft-to-Seed-Windows-8-Developers-Device-Makers-With-Test-PCs-Powered-by-NVIDIA-s-Tegra-3-Mobile-Processor-780.aspx
[quote name='Ultimate PC Man' date='01 March 2012 - 03:30 AM' timestamp='1330590639' post='1377022']

link?

From NVIDIA's newsroom: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Microsoft-to-Seed-Windows-8-Developers-Device-Makers-With-Test-PCs-Powered-by-NVIDIA-s-Tegra-3-Mobile-Processor-780.aspx

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 03/01/2012 11:56 AM   
[quote name='Exitios' date='01 March 2012 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1330603006' post='1377077']
From NVIDIA's newsroom: [url="http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Microsoft-to-Seed-Windows-8-Developers-Device-Makers-With-Test-PCs-Powered-by-NVIDIA-s-Tegra-3-Mobile-Processor-780.aspx"]http://nvidianews.nv...cessor-780.aspx[/url]
[/quote]

/thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />
[quote name='Exitios' date='01 March 2012 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1330603006' post='1377077']

From NVIDIA's newsroom: http://nvidianews.nv...cessor-780.aspx

/thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

Core i7 960 @4.14Ghz 180x23 1.3v Liquid cooled

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

EVGA GTX 560 Ti "Maximum Graphics Crysis 2"

Cooler Master HAF-X

Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 RAM

RMA broke my 580 SLI. Now I have a 7970 and a GTX 580 gathering dust, looking for a buyer.

Posted 03/01/2012 01:55 PM   
The time has come, this may well be the shift from X86 that marks the beginning of a new era of personal computing.

Other than high end gaming there's not much I use computers for that couldn't be done on a Tegra 3.
The time has come, this may well be the shift from X86 that marks the beginning of a new era of personal computing.

Other than high end gaming there's not much I use computers for that couldn't be done on a Tegra 3.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/01/2012 06:27 PM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1330626478' post='1377219']

[/quote]

[i]However, stating limitations from a software perspective; items such as Maya, Z-Brush, and numerous SDKs exceed the capabilities quite easily. Which would be greatly desired in mobile editing for reasons of productivity. It all depends on how you look at it really. I have a strong perspective in the separation of what is possible from a mobile unit versus what is possible under a desktop or workstation. Although mobile technology is quite possibly the fastest expanding market, it may always be an afterthought for those who require more power. It is more an alienated luxury than a solution. Sure for blogging, Flash, and minor resource consuming applications (where applicable) it is plenty capable, but how much can we really expect from a "discrete" solution?

When you exemplify X86, you make it sound as though your dealing in desktop resources of the most recent ability in contrast. It certainly does mark a new era for "mobile" technology, but I wouldn't draw the comparison to a 64GB memory capable platform. [/i]
[b]
EDIT:[/b] [i]That is not to say when placed in a PC some interesting results may appear, but would that not require the evolution of hardware as a whole to accommodate? I'm all for change, especially with AMD beginning to take a bow out in the enthusiast class (chasing Intel). Could this mean the birth of a new nForce solution? Purely my speculation, and opinion on this. [/i]
[b]
EDIT 2:[/b] [i]So I was conversing with a colleague of mine, and we were discussing the platform of Windows 8 and the viability of Tegra 3 as desktop solution. Would the OS itself not require changes in algorithms similar to that seen with Windows 7 for Bulldozer's architecture; in terms of utilization, and advantageous performance take to the operating system's core? It just seems like a "newer" platform would require extensive changes for capitalization...Ice Cream Sandwich for example on the Transformer Prime.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Brian_S' date='01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1330626478' post='1377219']

However, stating limitations from a software perspective; items such as Maya, Z-Brush, and numerous SDKs exceed the capabilities quite easily. Which would be greatly desired in mobile editing for reasons of productivity. It all depends on how you look at it really. I have a strong perspective in the separation of what is possible from a mobile unit versus what is possible under a desktop or workstation. Although mobile technology is quite possibly the fastest expanding market, it may always be an afterthought for those who require more power. It is more an alienated luxury than a solution. Sure for blogging, Flash, and minor resource consuming applications (where applicable) it is plenty capable, but how much can we really expect from a "discrete" solution?

When you exemplify X86, you make it sound as though your dealing in desktop resources of the most recent ability in contrast. It certainly does mark a new era for "mobile" technology, but I wouldn't draw the comparison to a 64GB memory capable platform.

EDIT:
That is not to say when placed in a PC some interesting results may appear, but would that not require the evolution of hardware as a whole to accommodate? I'm all for change, especially with AMD beginning to take a bow out in the enthusiast class (chasing Intel). Could this mean the birth of a new nForce solution? Purely my speculation, and opinion on this.

EDIT 2:
So I was conversing with a colleague of mine, and we were discussing the platform of Windows 8 and the viability of Tegra 3 as desktop solution. Would the OS itself not require changes in algorithms similar to that seen with Windows 7 for Bulldozer's architecture; in terms of utilization, and advantageous performance take to the operating system's core? It just seems like a "newer" platform would require extensive changes for capitalization...Ice Cream Sandwich for example on the Transformer Prime.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 03/02/2012 02:23 AM   
I don't think you'll be sporting a Tegra 3 desktop Righthooks.

I do think there's a HUGE market of people that use a computer to surf the internet, play FB/low end games, and use MS Office type apps. I think there's an exploding market for mobile business apps and that the line between phones and tablets is starting to blur, as is the line between tablets and laptops.

I think that in two years Tegra is slated to have Core 2 level and that would be a viable alternative for 90% of the PC market.

You'll note I said the "beginning of a new era", not "the end of the old era". This is the infancy of the ARM market, and the shift to mobile.

I do think there's a HUGE market of people that use a computer to surf the internet, play FB/low end games, and use MS Office type apps. I think there's an exploding market for mobile business apps and that the line between phones and tablets is starting to blur, as is the line between tablets and laptops.

I think that in two years Tegra is slated to have Core 2 level and that would be a viable alternative for 90% of the PC market.

You'll note I said the "beginning of a new era", not "the end of the old era". This is the infancy of the ARM market, and the shift to mobile.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/02/2012 12:17 PM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='02 March 2012 - 07:17 AM' timestamp='1330690643' post='1377548']

[/quote]

[i]Business is a much larger and universal revenue than gaming platforms. If simplistic and mobile solutions can execute the demands of what would otherwise be a desktop business solution...that in itself is a successful enterprise. I 100% agree that the line is becoming blurred, and in my opinion in the future may eliminate the necessity for Laptop technology altogether. Since driver developments and Bluetooth/WiFi (peripheral) capable synchronization, there is almost limitless potential for tablet expansion that outstretches to the realm of Laptop usage (which is a rapidly decreasing market). Who is to say affordable and efficient desktop hybrids can't find their way into the business and education system, which would make them a dominate benefactor. The capital saved is enough motivation to make a jump, sadly even operating systems take forever on changeover. I see what you are saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. As I stated though, there is always going to be the "larger" desktop platform...it's inevitable based on demand. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Brian_S' date='02 March 2012 - 07:17 AM' timestamp='1330690643' post='1377548']

Business is a much larger and universal revenue than gaming platforms. If simplistic and mobile solutions can execute the demands of what would otherwise be a desktop business solution...that in itself is a successful enterprise. I 100% agree that the line is becoming blurred, and in my opinion in the future may eliminate the necessity for Laptop technology altogether. Since driver developments and Bluetooth/WiFi (peripheral) capable synchronization, there is almost limitless potential for tablet expansion that outstretches to the realm of Laptop usage (which is a rapidly decreasing market). Who is to say affordable and efficient desktop hybrids can't find their way into the business and education system, which would make them a dominate benefactor. The capital saved is enough motivation to make a jump, sadly even operating systems take forever on changeover. I see what you are saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. As I stated though, there is always going to be the "larger" desktop platform...it's inevitable based on demand.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 03/02/2012 12:31 PM   
This is the same point I made to someone earlier today about Windows 8 in general.

Yes, Metro is a stupid POS for advanced userss such as ourselves, HOWEVER, Windows/Microsoft is NOT building Operating Systems for Advanced users like us, it's building operating systems for the average, silly users who could accidentally break Windows if they did something improper (i.e. why the UAC system was created in Vista/7). Metro cuts down on the more advanced features, makes Windows more basic & easier to use... exactly what the majority of the market will want.

The same can be said for Tegras. It's not powerful enough for users like us, YET, but it is for the majority of the market's standard users.

Another example, this POS Toshiba Laptop I'm using right now. I find it a slow cantankerous piece of flotsom, but I'm sure around 85% of laptop users would find it adequate. It's a $350 E-series AMD based piece of junk, but if all you're doing is surfing the web & playing flash games, it ain't too bad. lol

If I ever actually buy a tablet, which I doubt, it'll almost definitely be a Tegra-based one, for the simple fact that I support NVidia & I know their performance in that market is top notch.
This is the same point I made to someone earlier today about Windows 8 in general.

Yes, Metro is a stupid POS for advanced userss such as ourselves, HOWEVER, Windows/Microsoft is NOT building Operating Systems for Advanced users like us, it's building operating systems for the average, silly users who could accidentally break Windows if they did something improper (i.e. why the UAC system was created in Vista/7). Metro cuts down on the more advanced features, makes Windows more basic & easier to use... exactly what the majority of the market will want.

The same can be said for Tegras. It's not powerful enough for users like us, YET, but it is for the majority of the market's standard users.

Another example, this POS Toshiba Laptop I'm using right now. I find it a slow cantankerous piece of flotsom, but I'm sure around 85% of laptop users would find it adequate. It's a $350 E-series AMD based piece of junk, but if all you're doing is surfing the web & playing flash games, it ain't too bad. lol

If I ever actually buy a tablet, which I doubt, it'll almost definitely be a Tegra-based one, for the simple fact that I support NVidia & I know their performance in that market is top notch.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/03/2012 08:05 AM   
I don't think Tegra/Windows 8 is replacing the business/gaming totally, I do think we're on the edge of a huge shift away from laptops, and that Tegra based low end desktops will find a big market in the low end desktop market.

When my mom and dad buy computers, how fast they'll run Crysis2 or 3d modelling apps isn't on the list. What used to be the laptop market is being fragmented right now. My son surfs the net and games on his DroidX or iPad, when his 2500K/GTX590/25X16 computer is 20 feet away.

I think this is news because it marks the first time a MS OS has been designed to run on non X86 CPUs, and speaking as a guy who's been a computer gamer since 1988, this is a watershed moment. This will open up the CPU market for the first time in my lifetime, what people think of as a computer is undergoing a fundemental shift.
I don't think Tegra/Windows 8 is replacing the business/gaming totally, I do think we're on the edge of a huge shift away from laptops, and that Tegra based low end desktops will find a big market in the low end desktop market.

When my mom and dad buy computers, how fast they'll run Crysis2 or 3d modelling apps isn't on the list. What used to be the laptop market is being fragmented right now. My son surfs the net and games on his DroidX or iPad, when his 2500K/GTX590/25X16 computer is 20 feet away.

I think this is news because it marks the first time a MS OS has been designed to run on non X86 CPUs, and speaking as a guy who's been a computer gamer since 1988, this is a watershed moment. This will open up the CPU market for the first time in my lifetime, what people think of as a computer is undergoing a fundemental shift.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/03/2012 01:20 PM   
[quote name='Brian_S' date='03 March 2012 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1330780809' post='1377972']
My son surfs the net and games on his DroidX or iPad, when his 2500K/GTX590/25X16 computer is 20 feet away.
[/quote]
[i]
That specific growing populace is another primary reason tablets are experiencing such growth. It is a far more easily accessible instrument for a much larger demographic, and it can be used intermittently between a household like a desktop computer. For many families, especially in America, the number of multiple advanced phone/tablet owning households is increasing rapidly. Price vs. functionality, like you said, is replacing the desire for laptops and even desktops for a large majority. I believe if you can further reduce the expense (within roughly $200.00 of a tablet), and offer more options in a desktop utilizing the technology, PC ownership may double under that principle. Although, you have to account for what would be a significant enough difference to purchase the PC over a tablet that would merit the additional expense/investment. For most, the affordability based on what a tablet has to offer is a major selling point. For others it has become the premise for a business instrument involving communication+, and even merchant services such as credit card processing. Growth indeed, and certainly an offering of another market entirely if in fact [b]Tegra 3[/b] finds its way into the desktop solution.

I used the examples of Z-Brush and such, as a reason why a present desktop solution is more appealing to "my" demographic. Simply because the hardware capacity (expansion) meets the demands of the software capability. That is all, and your right there is only a minute portion of non-professional consumers who utilize such tools.

This is a good conversation, if you are privileged to any further "official" information please post. As I find it quite interesting. [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Brian_S' date='03 March 2012 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1330780809' post='1377972']

My son surfs the net and games on his DroidX or iPad, when his 2500K/GTX590/25X16 computer is 20 feet away.

That specific growing populace is another primary reason tablets are experiencing such growth. It is a far more easily accessible instrument for a much larger demographic, and it can be used intermittently between a household like a desktop computer. For many families, especially in America, the number of multiple advanced phone/tablet owning households is increasing rapidly. Price vs. functionality, like you said, is replacing the desire for laptops and even desktops for a large majority. I believe if you can further reduce the expense (within roughly $200.00 of a tablet), and offer more options in a desktop utilizing the technology, PC ownership may double under that principle. Although, you have to account for what would be a significant enough difference to purchase the PC over a tablet that would merit the additional expense/investment. For most, the affordability based on what a tablet has to offer is a major selling point. For others it has become the premise for a business instrument involving communication+, and even merchant services such as credit card processing. Growth indeed, and certainly an offering of another market entirely if in fact Tegra 3 finds its way into the desktop solution.

I used the examples of Z-Brush and such, as a reason why a present desktop solution is more appealing to "my" demographic. Simply because the hardware capacity (expansion) meets the demands of the software capability. That is all, and your right there is only a minute portion of non-professional consumers who utilize such tools.

This is a good conversation, if you are privileged to any further "official" information please post. As I find it quite interesting.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 03/03/2012 02:23 PM   
I get a lot of NVIDIA's press release stuff emailed to me, I'll post it here going forward.

Even my modest professional needs (SQL/.net apps) would tank on a Tegra 3, and yours are years off in the ARM market. However, as you say, accessibility (and lack of predetermined concepts of what a computer "should be") is opening this market with kids.

At the $200 price point I bought my wife a Kindle Fire and outside of work it's really about all she needs. If she didn't keep ending up as treasurer of groups because she's an accountant, it would be all she needs. She reads books, surfs, watches tv, and plays games like "Monopoly" and doesn't need more really.
I get a lot of NVIDIA's press release stuff emailed to me, I'll post it here going forward.

Even my modest professional needs (SQL/.net apps) would tank on a Tegra 3, and yours are years off in the ARM market. However, as you say, accessibility (and lack of predetermined concepts of what a computer "should be") is opening this market with kids.

At the $200 price point I bought my wife a Kindle Fire and outside of work it's really about all she needs. If she didn't keep ending up as treasurer of groups because she's an accountant, it would be all she needs. She reads books, surfs, watches tv, and plays games like "Monopoly" and doesn't need more really.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/03/2012 03:18 PM   
Eeegad, you lost me at IPad. Apple X_X lol I hates them. I'd rather have an AMD Video Card again than use anything Apple lol
Eeegad, you lost me at IPad. Apple X_X lol I hates them. I'd rather have an AMD Video Card again than use anything Apple lol

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/03/2012 09:21 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='03 March 2012 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1330809704' post='1378139']
[/quote]

You're preaching to the choir on that one. The day I got my ipod touch and went about trying to rip a dvd and load it onto the darn thing I said, "iTunes? Heck with this. Windows." and tossed the ipod to my son.

He actually asked for an Android tablet for christmas because he likes his phone so much, I only submitted to the ipad brand tax because of his existing itunes stuff, and they do have a bigger market of games. (for now) Also, I wanted to get him an Android tablet and another data plan and my wife shot down the idea. Said something about a pre-teen having two data plans bordering on obscene for wasteful and said I'd have to wait a couple years before I did that for him. When you're married, you pick your battles.

So I agonized long and paid the brand tax.The ipad is a nice device and works very well, but it isn't $400 better than the Kindle Fire I bought my wife.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='03 March 2012 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1330809704' post='1378139']

You're preaching to the choir on that one. The day I got my ipod touch and went about trying to rip a dvd and load it onto the darn thing I said, "iTunes? Heck with this. Windows." and tossed the ipod to my son.

He actually asked for an Android tablet for christmas because he likes his phone so much, I only submitted to the ipad brand tax because of his existing itunes stuff, and they do have a bigger market of games. (for now) Also, I wanted to get him an Android tablet and another data plan and my wife shot down the idea. Said something about a pre-teen having two data plans bordering on obscene for wasteful and said I'd have to wait a couple years before I did that for him. When you're married, you pick your battles.

So I agonized long and paid the brand tax.The ipad is a nice device and works very well, but it isn't $400 better than the Kindle Fire I bought my wife.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/03/2012 10:35 PM   
First Tegra device in my household- bought my son a Droid X2 tonight. Seems very quick, am thinking the gaming is going to p3wn his DroidX.
First Tegra device in my household- bought my son a Droid X2 tonight. Seems very quick, am thinking the gaming is going to p3wn his DroidX.

GTX680 SLI

Asus Rampage/intel 990X

3 X Acer GD235Hz

NVIDIA FOCUS GROUP

Posted 03/14/2012 01:06 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top