Picked up a RAT 7 what a difference WOW
  1 / 2    
After much debate i settled on a RAT 7. Ive seen much talk about these mice, some good and some bad. The few hours ive been using it all i can say is my very impressed. This replaces my two year old Microsoft Sideswinder X8 (which works very well still btw) and the Razer naga i bought yesterday and returned today. Two things i really like are the sniper button and the "shift on the fly" DPI (my X8 also had), both are nice additions and are alrighty improving my game. Fit and finish are fantastic, braided cable, lots of lights, great responsivenes. The Razer naga was just too small. When i placed my hand over the mouse both sides of my hand and all my fingers on the front of the mouse touched the game mat. The twelve buttons were nice to have but my thumb pressed almost four of the buttons at once. The mouse was nice just like the RAT but in the end without shift on the fly DPI and how small it was the naga was just not worth the time to learn. The rat is one of the most comfortable mice i have ever held, it has some heft, good button layout and anything that comes with its own tool box is a good thing.

I played some bf3 today and although i died more than normal the potential is there for great things. Chopper flight is night and day different. I can land on a dime now and its so effortless to fly with this mouse. Ill have to play with the settings on the sniper button but when using the guns on the chopper i am better able to control my fire....even more so when firing down to the ground targets. I think im really going to like this mouse. Ive decided to just use it for gaming, disconnecting it and putting it away when im not gaming. Kids can keep their little peanutbutter fingers limited to the X8 .... as can the wife lol, this is all my toy this time, im not going to share it.

Im still unclear as to how the whole things works, its a bit daunting when looking at it, all covered in screws and plates and release mechanisims. Guess its just something to learn over time. At this point its probabley the best mouse ive ever held and much better than the X8 which i consiter to be a very good mouse alrighty. I would requimend it to anyone with the cash to spend on a mouse.

Here are a few of my own pics i took of it
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cravinmild/6787818218/"][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6787818218_3c24ef1aa4_b.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cravinmild/6787818218/"]IMGP0603[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/cravinmild/"]cravinmild[/url], on Flickr[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cravinmild/6933931395/"][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6933931395_d5a09d10d8_b.jpg[/img][/url]
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cravinmild/6933931395/"]IMGP0600[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/cravinmild/"]cravinmild[/url], on Flickr
After much debate i settled on a RAT 7. Ive seen much talk about these mice, some good and some bad. The few hours ive been using it all i can say is my very impressed. This replaces my two year old Microsoft Sideswinder X8 (which works very well still btw) and the Razer naga i bought yesterday and returned today. Two things i really like are the sniper button and the "shift on the fly" DPI (my X8 also had), both are nice additions and are alrighty improving my game. Fit and finish are fantastic, braided cable, lots of lights, great responsivenes. The Razer naga was just too small. When i placed my hand over the mouse both sides of my hand and all my fingers on the front of the mouse touched the game mat. The twelve buttons were nice to have but my thumb pressed almost four of the buttons at once. The mouse was nice just like the RAT but in the end without shift on the fly DPI and how small it was the naga was just not worth the time to learn. The rat is one of the most comfortable mice i have ever held, it has some heft, good button layout and anything that comes with its own tool box is a good thing.

I played some bf3 today and although i died more than normal the potential is there for great things. Chopper flight is night and day different. I can land on a dime now and its so effortless to fly with this mouse. Ill have to play with the settings on the sniper button but when using the guns on the chopper i am better able to control my fire....even more so when firing down to the ground targets. I think im really going to like this mouse. Ive decided to just use it for gaming, disconnecting it and putting it away when im not gaming. Kids can keep their little peanutbutter fingers limited to the X8 .... as can the wife lol, this is all my toy this time, im not going to share it.

Im still unclear as to how the whole things works, its a bit daunting when looking at it, all covered in screws and plates and release mechanisims. Guess its just something to learn over time. At this point its probabley the best mouse ive ever held and much better than the X8 which i consiter to be a very good mouse alrighty. I would requimend it to anyone with the cash to spend on a mouse.

Here are a few of my own pics i took of it

IMGP0603 by cravinmild, on FlickrImage

IMGP0600 by cravinmild, on Flickr
Posted 02/27/2012 03:57 AM   
They are indeed nice mice. I have the RAT9.

I use mine in pretty much the default config, with all the additional weights removed.
They are indeed nice mice. I have the RAT9.

I use mine in pretty much the default config, with all the additional weights removed.
You must have big hands, LOL. Even with the thumb rest adjusted all the way in, I could not easily reach the sniper button. This made me have to re-adjust my hand to press this button, which defeated the whole purpose of it to begin with.

Also, I found that the palm rest just sits way too low, which made my hand hurt like crazy after gaming for a while. I tried installing the high palm rest to remedy this problem, but it dug into my hand so bad that I couldn't even stand using it for 10 minutes.

In the end, I found that this mouse performed well, but it was too awkward and heavy (even with all the weights removed) for me to use on a regular basis.

I should also note that the first RAT 7 I received worked fine for a few days, but then the laser totally died. Funnily, the buttons still worked fine. I ended up RMA'ing it because of this. The replacement I got worked without any issues. There does seem to be a high failure rate with this model.

All in all, it's a good concept, but I think MadCatz\Saitek failed to hit the nail on the head with the design. I'm looking forward to future gaming mice that are built upon the same principles though.

EDIT* By the way, the Naga can be set up to adjust DPI on the fly. The best way to do it is to map DPI up\down to buttons #11 and #12. This is accomplished with the included software. Works great in every game I play.
You must have big hands, LOL. Even with the thumb rest adjusted all the way in, I could not easily reach the sniper button. This made me have to re-adjust my hand to press this button, which defeated the whole purpose of it to begin with.

Also, I found that the palm rest just sits way too low, which made my hand hurt like crazy after gaming for a while. I tried installing the high palm rest to remedy this problem, but it dug into my hand so bad that I couldn't even stand using it for 10 minutes.

In the end, I found that this mouse performed well, but it was too awkward and heavy (even with all the weights removed) for me to use on a regular basis.

I should also note that the first RAT 7 I received worked fine for a few days, but then the laser totally died. Funnily, the buttons still worked fine. I ended up RMA'ing it because of this. The replacement I got worked without any issues. There does seem to be a high failure rate with this model.

All in all, it's a good concept, but I think MadCatz\Saitek failed to hit the nail on the head with the design. I'm looking forward to future gaming mice that are built upon the same principles though.

EDIT* By the way, the Naga can be set up to adjust DPI on the fly. The best way to do it is to map DPI up\down to buttons #11 and #12. This is accomplished with the included software. Works great in every game I play.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/27/2012 05:08 AM   
Wow, Man that's an ugly mouse cravin [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/haha.gif[/img] see ya on the Battle field [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/w00twave.gif[/img]
Wow, Man that's an ugly mouse cravin Image see ya on the Battle field Image

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 02/27/2012 05:59 AM   
shhhhhhh, she might hear you jesse. Its sensitive about its looks. I will agree its not like a normal mouse in the looks department. Im rather fond of it myself, i remember reading about this mouse a year or so before its original release and thinking to myself it was the coolest thing id ever seen. You cant see it but im grinning right now when i look at it...im very proud of my new mouse

Yes slamscaper i do have very unnaturally large hands.... like a monkey. Although i loved my X8 as it really did fit my palm well, nice and big, perfect button layout...just not enough buttons for modern games imo, the RAT is just slightly shorter but the same width, it also does not sit as high. I have two weeks to return the RAT if it turns out be be a bad choice, its only future shop anyways so im not really caring. Id like it to be my new mouse forever, i really like it but only some time using it will tell. So far so good.
shhhhhhh, she might hear you jesse. Its sensitive about its looks. I will agree its not like a normal mouse in the looks department. Im rather fond of it myself, i remember reading about this mouse a year or so before its original release and thinking to myself it was the coolest thing id ever seen. You cant see it but im grinning right now when i look at it...im very proud of my new mouse

Yes slamscaper i do have very unnaturally large hands.... like a monkey. Although i loved my X8 as it really did fit my palm well, nice and big, perfect button layout...just not enough buttons for modern games imo, the RAT is just slightly shorter but the same width, it also does not sit as high. I have two weeks to return the RAT if it turns out be be a bad choice, its only future shop anyways so im not really caring. Id like it to be my new mouse forever, i really like it but only some time using it will tell. So far so good.
Posted 02/27/2012 06:22 AM   
I do have to say, I love the RAT 7/9's aesthetics. It's a wicked looking mouse.

I really tried to like it. My issues with it are solely based on it's ergonomics (or lack thereof).
I do have to say, I love the RAT 7/9's aesthetics. It's a wicked looking mouse.

I really tried to like it. My issues with it are solely based on it's ergonomics (or lack thereof).

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/27/2012 06:34 AM   
LOL, as long as your happy with her [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/haha.gif[/img] Now snipe away [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img] TJ
LOL, as long as your happy with her Image Now snipe away Image TJ

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 02/27/2012 06:54 AM   
Man are those things ugly! Bet it works nice though. My Naga arrived a couple days ago and I'm just about in love with it. My only gripe with it is the 2 buttons on the left side of the left click are kinda awkward for me to hit. Incredibly functional mouse for SWTOR though. Not that I wasn't happy with my Logitech MX-518, but those 12 little buttons just couldn't be resisted by a mere man like myself.
Man are those things ugly! Bet it works nice though. My Naga arrived a couple days ago and I'm just about in love with it. My only gripe with it is the 2 buttons on the left side of the left click are kinda awkward for me to hit. Incredibly functional mouse for SWTOR though. Not that I wasn't happy with my Logitech MX-518, but those 12 little buttons just couldn't be resisted by a mere man like myself.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Thuban BE with Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler(@3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD516gb
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
3x MSI Geforce GTX 660ti OC edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium powering Logitech z-5300e 5.1 THX Surround & Creative Fatal1ty Pro headset
1000w Rosewill Bronze PSU
3x Corsair x256 (256gb*3) SATA II SSD in RAID0 through mobo
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
Lian Li Lancool K58 Dragon Lord case
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
3dmark11 P12226 Ice: 25637 Cloud: 14996 Fire: 9099

Posted 02/27/2012 07:01 AM   
Several times now I have been tempted to get a RAT 9, but I just can't decide if it is worth it over my existing mouse (Logitech G9x). The adjustibility and weight options of the G9x compared to my previous mouse (Razer Lachesis) were a hugely welcome option, and the RAT mice take that a whole lot further - hence I am very tempted!

I'll keep an eye on this topic to see how you feel about it in a week or so :)

J
Several times now I have been tempted to get a RAT 9, but I just can't decide if it is worth it over my existing mouse (Logitech G9x). The adjustibility and weight options of the G9x compared to my previous mouse (Razer Lachesis) were a hugely welcome option, and the RAT mice take that a whole lot further - hence I am very tempted!

I'll keep an eye on this topic to see how you feel about it in a week or so :)

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 02/27/2012 08:36 AM   
The RAT9 is pretty good. Battery only lasts about a day - but thats OK, because you get two and you always have one charging.
The RAT9 is pretty good. Battery only lasts about a day - but thats OK, because you get two and you always have one charging.
Ok, its going back now. I just cant stand it.....stand it cause theres a newer model coming out with even more buttons WOOOT

[url="http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13"]http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13[/url]

Isnt she a beaut, wooooo look at all the buttons, dual lazers. Only $20 more than i paid for mine. Deal is done imo. I hang onto this one for another week as i own it now and start the processs of learning the mouse design. When my two weeks are up ill return it and place my order for this new RAT. Now that is the best of both worlds. Tons of bottons as i was looking for and great design. IM IN LOVE
Ok, its going back now. I just cant stand it.....stand it cause theres a newer model coming out with even more buttons WOOOT

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13

Isnt she a beaut, wooooo look at all the buttons, dual lazers. Only $20 more than i paid for mine. Deal is done imo. I hang onto this one for another week as i own it now and start the processs of learning the mouse design. When my two weeks are up ill return it and place my order for this new RAT. Now that is the best of both worlds. Tons of bottons as i was looking for and great design. IM IN LOVE
Posted 02/27/2012 02:08 PM   
[quote name='cravinmild' date='27 February 2012 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1330351717' post='1375715']

[url="http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13"]http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13[/url]

[/quote]

I like how they moved up the sniper button on that model.
[quote name='cravinmild' date='27 February 2012 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1330351717' post='1375715']

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548613/mad-catz-cyborg-mmo-7-gaming-mouse-78-programmable-commands-over-13

I like how they moved up the sniper button on that model.

Posted 02/27/2012 02:27 PM   
and it has a joystick, wonder if i can use that to fly a chopper

I just placed my pre order for the mmo version today. Ill be returning this mouse this weekend. WOOOOOT, im so happy with my new purchase. $139 for this mouse, with shipping and taxes it comes in at a whooping 163.36 but the smile on my face when i get it = Priceless
and it has a joystick, wonder if i can use that to fly a chopper

I just placed my pre order for the mmo version today. Ill be returning this mouse this weekend. WOOOOOT, im so happy with my new purchase. $139 for this mouse, with shipping and taxes it comes in at a whooping 163.36 but the smile on my face when i get it = Priceless
Posted 02/27/2012 02:31 PM   
ooooo man do I wish I would have known of this before I bought my naga! That is so tempting... I'll wait to read some reviews and think about it /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> and by think about it I mean make an impulse purchase.
ooooo man do I wish I would have known of this before I bought my naga! That is so tempting... I'll wait to read some reviews and think about it /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> and by think about it I mean make an impulse purchase.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Thuban BE with Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler(@3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD516gb
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
3x MSI Geforce GTX 660ti OC edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium powering Logitech z-5300e 5.1 THX Surround & Creative Fatal1ty Pro headset
1000w Rosewill Bronze PSU
3x Corsair x256 (256gb*3) SATA II SSD in RAID0 through mobo
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
Lian Li Lancool K58 Dragon Lord case
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
3dmark11 P12226 Ice: 25637 Cloud: 14996 Fire: 9099

Posted 02/28/2012 07:02 AM   
cravin, Here's a review for the new Cyborg M.M.O.7 Mouse [url="http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cyborg-MMO7-Mouse-Review/1499"]link[/url] [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img]
cravin, Here's a review for the new Cyborg M.M.O.7 Mouse link Image

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 03/01/2012 07:07 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top