Saving 3D settings between driver updates
So it looks like saved convergence settings are reset with a driver update. Since there's no meter displayed when setting convergence, I don't want to constantly eyeball back to where it was in games every time there is a driver update. What's the best way to save your 3D settings in between driver updates?

Would backing up the %\\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.LOG file and then copying it back in place after a driver update work?
So it looks like saved convergence settings are reset with a driver update. Since there's no meter displayed when setting convergence, I don't want to constantly eyeball back to where it was in games every time there is a driver update. What's the best way to save your 3D settings in between driver updates?

Would backing up the %\\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.LOG file and then copying it back in place after a driver update work?

PC Console

Thermaltake Lanbox Lite

Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500

MSI mATX H67 /w 4GB DDR3

Gigabyte GTX 570 OC (780Mhz)

46" Samsung 240hz LED 3DTV

Nvidia 3DTV Play / IZ3D / Tridef (yes all 3!)

Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse

Wireless XBox 360 controller

Posted 02/27/2012 01:42 AM   
[quote name='Exposed' date='27 February 2012 - 04:42 AM' timestamp='1330306921' post='1375538']

[/quote]

Personally I backup my game registries -
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\
Inside each profile you have a "StereoConvergence" key.
I just export the whole game root "directories" keys with all sub-keys inside.
[quote name='Exposed' date='27 February 2012 - 04:42 AM' timestamp='1330306921' post='1375538']

Personally I backup my game registries -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\

Inside each profile you have a "StereoConvergence" key.

I just export the whole game root "directories" keys with all sub-keys inside.
Posted 02/27/2012 12:46 PM   
It's pretty rare for driver updates to wipe out your registry unless you pick the "clean" option. Which, of course, is why I didn't bother to save my registry off before doing the previous upgrade. Which is why I had to burn an hour trying to find the PNS format option and the code I used to remap screenshots to the keypad 0 key.

I'll be saving that registry off before installing now.

(Screen config settings don't bother me. I only play one or two games at a time so I can't need to change more than a couple of those.)
It's pretty rare for driver updates to wipe out your registry unless you pick the "clean" option. Which, of course, is why I didn't bother to save my registry off before doing the previous upgrade. Which is why I had to burn an hour trying to find the PNS format option and the code I used to remap screenshots to the keypad 0 key.

I'll be saving that registry off before installing now.

(Screen config settings don't bother me. I only play one or two games at a time so I can't need to change more than a couple of those.)

Posted 02/28/2012 02:15 AM   
I've never seen a driver update delete anything in %:\Users\\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.LOG

I have saved profiles in there as old as my 3D Vision Kit that work the same today as they did back then for my convergence settings.

From what I've seen, settings are always applied in this order:
NVStereoscopic3D.LOG setting > 3D Vision Profile setting > Global driver defaults (No profile).
I've never seen a driver update delete anything in %:\Users\\Documents\NVStereoscopic3D.LOG

I have saved profiles in there as old as my 3D Vision Kit that work the same today as they did back then for my convergence settings.

From what I've seen, settings are always applied in this order:

NVStereoscopic3D.LOG setting > 3D Vision Profile setting > Global driver defaults (No profile).

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 02/28/2012 03:06 AM   
With the TDR issues lately and the buggy drivers I'm pretty used to doing a "clean" install (the last time I didn't I got a BSD and some windows startup cluster got wiped out, so I had to reinstall my OS), so backing up the registries seems safer for me. I always forget to change to pns though, no wonder my shots are so low quality.
With the TDR issues lately and the buggy drivers I'm pretty used to doing a "clean" install (the last time I didn't I got a BSD and some windows startup cluster got wiped out, so I had to reinstall my OS), so backing up the registries seems safer for me. I always forget to change to pns though, no wonder my shots are so low quality.
Posted 02/28/2012 03:13 PM   
Well I finally got around to updating drivers. Just did a express install over the existing drivers, which was quick. However, it overwrote my 3D settings and I had to do the discover 3D wizard again. Incidentally the NVStereoscopic3D.LOG folder was left untouched, which basically proves that just as the folder name implies, it's just a log storage folder -- nothing in it is actually read by the drivers, the 3D settings itself are stored in the registry.

The log files do contain hex values in parenthesis for convergence and depth, so all I had to do was copy and paste the hex values into the appropriate registry path. Next time I'll just do it the easy way from the start like Artox and back up the game registries directly /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />
Well I finally got around to updating drivers. Just did a express install over the existing drivers, which was quick. However, it overwrote my 3D settings and I had to do the discover 3D wizard again. Incidentally the NVStereoscopic3D.LOG folder was left untouched, which basically proves that just as the folder name implies, it's just a log storage folder -- nothing in it is actually read by the drivers, the 3D settings itself are stored in the registry.

The log files do contain hex values in parenthesis for convergence and depth, so all I had to do was copy and paste the hex values into the appropriate registry path. Next time I'll just do it the easy way from the start like Artox and back up the game registries directly /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' />

PC Console

Thermaltake Lanbox Lite

Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500

MSI mATX H67 /w 4GB DDR3

Gigabyte GTX 570 OC (780Mhz)

46" Samsung 240hz LED 3DTV

Nvidia 3DTV Play / IZ3D / Tridef (yes all 3!)

Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse

Wireless XBox 360 controller

Posted 03/09/2012 05:44 PM   
Scroll To Top