295.73: Disappearing SLI detection, and error 43 on reboot
I've got dual GTX 590's...

When I upgrade to 295.73, SLI is not detected. I see "Multi-GPU enabled" (and it shows 2 GPUs) rather than "Quad SLI enabled" (With 4 GPUs).

After lots of experimenting, I find that if I kill the process called "ctxfihlp.exe" (some software related to my Creative Labs X-Fi sound card, drivers v2.17.7), then when I install 295.73, it DOES detect SLI properly in the nvidia control panel. However, as soon as I reboot, I get "error 43" -- the drivers is unable to recognize the nvidia cards at all and I am back in 640x480 or whatever.

(I also tried experiments where I killed all the other processes I could -- no change.)

Lots of other threads here talk about Realtek LAN drivers -- I don't have one of those cards.

Only solution I've found is to roll back to 285.62.

System info attached.
I've got dual GTX 590's...

When I upgrade to 295.73, SLI is not detected. I see "Multi-GPU enabled" (and it shows 2 GPUs) rather than "Quad SLI enabled" (With 4 GPUs).

After lots of experimenting, I find that if I kill the process called "ctxfihlp.exe" (some software related to my Creative Labs X-Fi sound card, drivers v2.17.7), then when I install 295.73, it DOES detect SLI properly in the nvidia control panel. However, as soon as I reboot, I get "error 43" -- the drivers is unable to recognize the nvidia cards at all and I am back in 640x480 or whatever.

(I also tried experiments where I killed all the other processes I could -- no change.)

Lots of other threads here talk about Realtek LAN drivers -- I don't have one of those cards.

Only solution I've found is to roll back to 285.62.

System info attached.

Posted 02/26/2012 05:13 PM   
Sounds like a conflict with your X-Fi software. Also, Realtek LAN references onboard/integrated LAN which I think most users use for internet. I know some boards use Intel, Marvell or whatever else though. ManuelG from Nvidia has addressed this issue already and attributed to a Windows process timing issue and said they will have a workaround in their next driver.

In the meantime, you can try to fix your own issue by doing this:

[list=1]

[*]Uninstall your X-Fi drivers completely.
[*]Install the 295.73 drivers (reboot if prompted to)
[*]Initiate SLI in the NVCP
[*]Reboot
[*]See if SLI is still enabled/detected.
[*]Install all your X-Fi drivers/software again.

[/list]
Sounds like a conflict with your X-Fi software. Also, Realtek LAN references onboard/integrated LAN which I think most users use for internet. I know some boards use Intel, Marvell or whatever else though. ManuelG from Nvidia has addressed this issue already and attributed to a Windows process timing issue and said they will have a workaround in their next driver.

In the meantime, you can try to fix your own issue by doing this:

[list=1]

• Uninstall your X-Fi drivers completely.
  • Install the 295.73 drivers (reboot if prompted to)
  • Initiate SLI in the NVCP
  • Reboot
  • See if SLI is still enabled/detected.
  • Install all your X-Fi drivers/software again.

• [/list]

-=HeliX=- Mod 3DV Game Fixes
    My 3D Vision Games List Ratings

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
    Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
    Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0
    Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1 | LG Blu-Ray
    Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G700/G110/G27 | CM HAF X Blue | Antec TPQ-1200W

Posted 02/26/2012 05:35 PM   
    Good idea, chiz. Thanks a lot for the suggestion and the extra clarity.
    Good idea, chiz. Thanks a lot for the suggestion and the extra clarity.

Posted 03/01/2012 10:16 AM   
    OK, I feel silly. I didn't THINK I had a Realtek LAN card -- I have another third-party LAN card plugged into my motherboard. But upon looking into my Device Manager, I discovered I did in fact have a Realtek LAN built-in to my motherboard that I wasn't aware of.

I disabled this device in Device Manager (I don't use it as my network interface, so I don't need it) and everything worked fine. No need to kill the sound card driver or anything.
    OK, I feel silly. I didn't THINK I had a Realtek LAN card -- I have another third-party LAN card plugged into my motherboard. But upon looking into my Device Manager, I discovered I did in fact have a Realtek LAN built-in to my motherboard that I wasn't aware of.

I disabled this device in Device Manager (I don't use it as my network interface, so I don't need it) and everything worked fine. No need to kill the sound card driver or anything.

Posted 03/02/2012 12:41 AM   
    Same problem here. I think this is a bug.

I install the driver, SLI is there. Reboot, SLI is gone.
    If after the installation I activate SLI, then at the next reboot the driver doesn't recognize any Nvidia GPUs and Aero is disabled.
    Same problem here. I think this is a bug.

I install the driver, SLI is there. Reboot, SLI is gone.

If after the installation I activate SLI, then at the next reboot the driver doesn't recognize any Nvidia GPUs and Aero is disabled.

Intel Core i7-3930K @4,2GHz *** 16GB DDR3-1333 *** GTX Titan 6GB SLI

Posted 03/10/2012 01:45 PM   
    @jhogan glad you got the problem fixed. :)

@boxleitnerb: have you tried the realtek nic workaround yet? Try updating your NIC drivers to the latest here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You can also try rolling them back. There's a workaround for this issue in the next driver release, but until then these workarounds have worked to fix the SLI issue for many.
    @jhogan glad you got the problem fixed. :)

@boxleitnerb: have you tried the realtek nic workaround yet? Try updating your NIC drivers to the latest here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You can also try rolling them back. There's a workaround for this issue in the next driver release, but until then these workarounds have worked to fix the SLI issue for many.

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @4.0GHz 1.29V | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | Win7 x64 Ultimate | Antec 620 LC
    Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz LCD + 3D Vision 2 | 12GB Samsung DDR3 1600 35nm
    Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD | WD Black 3x1.5TB RAID 0 | Kingston HyperX 2x128GB SSD RAID 0

Posted 03/10/2012 03:00 PM   
    It's the NIC alright. I read about a workaround here on the forums, but it seems quite complicated. I have deactivated SLI for now. I tried several installation sequences (first activate SLI, then install the NIC and the other way around) and several NIC driver, older and new, nothing helped.

This issue has been around quite a while, hasn't it? My next system won't have a Realtek NIC, that's for sure. Or does the problem involve other NICs too?

For Nvidias workaround in the driver, are we talking WHQL or beta here?

Edit:
    Interestingly I have this problem also with the 290.53 driver. That was never the case before, so I guess the culprit is the newer LAN driver or the new combination of these drivers respectively.
    It's the NIC alright. I read about a workaround here on the forums, but it seems quite complicated. I have deactivated SLI for now. I tried several installation sequences (first activate SLI, then install the NIC and the other way around) and several NIC driver, older and new, nothing helped.

This issue has been around quite a while, hasn't it? My next system won't have a Realtek NIC, that's for sure. Or does the problem involve other NICs too?

For Nvidias workaround in the driver, are we talking WHQL or beta here?

Edit:

Interestingly I have this problem also with the 290.53 driver. That was never the case before, so I guess the culprit is the newer LAN driver or the new combination of these drivers respectively.

Posted 03/10/2012 07:42 PM   
    Its not that complicated but it does involve some trial and error. Its not just Realtek NIC although thats generally the most common; I've read of similar instances with Intel, Marvell NIC, Realtek sound, X-Fi sound, pretty much anything that requires low-level resources and IRQ assignments. There was a rash of problems in 2010 or so and the recommendation then was to not install any newer NIC drivers, especially not the ones passed from Windows Update. Then when I updated to the first 290 Betas, had the same problems occur and remembered the Realtek NIC issue, so I actually fixed the issue by updating to the ones from Windows Update.

If you want to try to fix the issue, you can try:

[list]

[*]1.Disable and uninstall the NIC completely in Device Manager.
    [*]2.Install the 295.73 drivers (reboot if prompted to)
    [*]3.Initiate SLI in the NVCP
    [*]4.Reboot
    [*]5.See if SLI is still enabled/detected.
    [*]6.Install the latest Realtek NIC drivers from the link above or from Windows Update.
    [*]7.Reboot again to make sure SLI is still enabled.

[/list]

I'm not sure if Nvidia's next driver release will be WHQL or not, but ManuelG said they had a fix and listed it as a fixed issue with a workaround in his driver bug tracking list. Next driver could be a beta with a WHQL 300 series driver shortly after with the launch of Kepler. We should know in a few weeks either way, I would personally try the workaround in the meantime as losing SLI is kind of painful once you've become accustomed to it....
    Its not that complicated but it does involve some trial and error. Its not just Realtek NIC although thats generally the most common; I've read of similar instances with Intel, Marvell NIC, Realtek sound, X-Fi sound, pretty much anything that requires low-level resources and IRQ assignments. There was a rash of problems in 2010 or so and the recommendation then was to not install any newer NIC drivers, especially not the ones passed from Windows Update. Then when I updated to the first 290 Betas, had the same problems occur and remembered the Realtek NIC issue, so I actually fixed the issue by updating to the ones from Windows Update.

If you want to try to fix the issue, you can try:

• 1.Disable and uninstall the NIC completely in Device Manager.
    • 2.Install the 295.73 drivers (reboot if prompted to)
    • 3.Initiate SLI in the NVCP
    • 4.Reboot
    • 5.See if SLI is still enabled/detected.
    • 6.Install the latest Realtek NIC drivers from the link above or from Windows Update.
    • 7.Reboot again to make sure SLI is still enabled.

I'm not sure if Nvidia's next driver release will be WHQL or not, but ManuelG said they had a fix and listed it as a fixed issue with a workaround in his driver bug tracking list. Next driver could be a beta with a WHQL 300 series driver shortly after with the launch of Kepler. We should know in a few weeks either way, I would personally try the workaround in the meantime as losing SLI is kind of painful once you've become accustomed to it....

Posted 03/10/2012 08:02 PM   
    I did those steps with the exception of step 2. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, I'm getting a bit tired of all the rebooting :)

I had been stuck with a GT520 (to diagnose a problem, see below), THAT is painful :D
    Btw do you think that a driver conflict between Realteak and Forceware could be the source of hard reboots? I've been plagued by them ever since I installed the 295.51 driver. At first I put it on my power supply, but now I don't know. I had this problem with both, the 580s SLI and the GT520.
    I did those steps with the exception of step 2. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, I'm getting a bit tired of all the rebooting :)

I had been stuck with a GT520 (to diagnose a problem, see below), THAT is painful :D

Btw do you think that a driver conflict between Realteak and Forceware could be the source of hard reboots? I've been plagued by them ever since I installed the 295.51 driver. At first I put it on my power supply, but now I don't know. I had this problem with both, the 580s SLI and the GT520.

Posted 03/10/2012 08:10 PM   
    Yep absolutely, I was getting some frustrating black screen and sound looping issues also. I thought it was PCIe bus and IRQ related (and probably was), but was doing all kinds of things like changing ICH voltages, moving cards around, pulling sound cards etc. Turns out it was just a driver conflict all along.
    Yep absolutely, I was getting some frustrating black screen and sound looping issues also. I thought it was PCIe bus and IRQ related (and probably was), but was doing all kinds of things like changing ICH voltages, moving cards around, pulling sound cards etc. Turns out it was just a driver conflict all along.

Posted 03/10/2012 09:40 PM   
    Yes, I got so frustrated with this issue to until I found the culprit...
    I was so worried it was one of my EVGA GTX570's on its way out, especially with the Code 43 error. This issue is so widespread I'm surprised it hasn't actually been addressed.

Hopefully the next Nvidia driver will make the more complicated driver update procedure (as detailed by chiz) redundant once and for all!

:-)
    Yes, I got so frustrated with this issue to until I found the culprit...

I was so worried it was one of my EVGA GTX570's on its way out, especially with the Code 43 error. This issue is so widespread I'm surprised it hasn't actually been addressed.

Hopefully the next Nvidia driver will make the more complicated driver update procedure (as detailed by chiz) redundant once and for all!

:-)

I7-950 @ 4.2GHz

Asus Sabertooth X58

12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3

EVGA 780 Ti SC

Corsair AX1200 PSU

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

asus VG278HE via DVI dual link

Posted 03/11/2012 01:38 AM   
    I have a strange issue you guys may help me with!! I just built a new x79 rig and transfered my triple sli gtx 480's from my old x58 board. Everytime I enable triple SLI I get a BSOD, this doesn't happen on my x58 board. Now if I set 1 card to dedicated physx I can enable 2x SLI, I can play a game forever like this until I exit the game. When I exit a game my PC freezes and when I restart my cards have error 43 until I reinstall the nvidia drivers. Now if I disable one card and try to enable sli, the NVCP will stop responding and one of the 2 cards will have error code 43. I have tested each card in a single config with no issues. I don't have realtek for my NIC, although I do have realtek sound! Any suggestions?
    I have a strange issue you guys may help me with!! I just built a new x79 rig and transfered my triple sli gtx 480's from my old x58 board. Everytime I enable triple SLI I get a BSOD, this doesn't happen on my x58 board. Now if I set 1 card to dedicated physx I can enable 2x SLI, I can play a game forever like this until I exit the game. When I exit a game my PC freezes and when I restart my cards have error 43 until I reinstall the nvidia drivers. Now if I disable one card and try to enable sli, the NVCP will stop responding and one of the 2 cards will have error code 43. I have tested each card in a single config with no issues. I don't have realtek for my NIC, although I do have realtek sound! Any suggestions?

Posted 03/25/2012 09:52 AM   
    Scroll To Top