Get my new graphics card to work properly
Hey all,

Two days ago I've recieved my new graphics card. It's a MSI n450gts-md2gd3.
The driver that came with it installed fine, it was the 266.58 version.

Now I started a game that required the newest version of nvidia graphics drivers. I let the GeForce site detect my GPU and it found the 295.73 driver for my card. I installed it with no problems and did a reboot. Thats when it went wrong. I started youtube and tried to run a movie, my screen started flickering and I got a note in the right lower corner of my screen that the graphic driver stopped working and was restored, it also said something about kernel 295.73.

When I reinstalled version 266.58 I could watch youtube movies just fine again. But then I ran a game wich I played before with my old grapics card(GeForce 8600GT) and it didnt run smooth at all. While with the GeForce 8600GT it did. This new card has 2GB vram against 512MB of the GeForce. Clock speed is also higher. So I assume it's impossible that this card can't run this game, right? Maybe the driver isn't installed the right way at all and the GPU is using the default windows 7 driver?

I've also checked the GPU tempature, idle around 35 degrees and when gaming max 55 degrees. So thats not the issue either.

I contacted my dealer and they told me I can send it back to run tests. But this will take some time and if it's not necessary I'd rather not send it.

Does anyone know how I could fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

SPECS:
CPU: Intel core 2 duo E6550
RAM: 2GB
GPU: MSI n450gts-md2gd3 (1x 22" screen plugged in)
MOBO: MSI P6N SLI-F V2
Hey all,

Two days ago I've recieved my new graphics card. It's a MSI n450gts-md2gd3.

The driver that came with it installed fine, it was the 266.58 version.

Now I started a game that required the newest version of nvidia graphics drivers. I let the GeForce site detect my GPU and it found the 295.73 driver for my card. I installed it with no problems and did a reboot. Thats when it went wrong. I started youtube and tried to run a movie, my screen started flickering and I got a note in the right lower corner of my screen that the graphic driver stopped working and was restored, it also said something about kernel 295.73.

When I reinstalled version 266.58 I could watch youtube movies just fine again. But then I ran a game wich I played before with my old grapics card(GeForce 8600GT) and it didnt run smooth at all. While with the GeForce 8600GT it did. This new card has 2GB vram against 512MB of the GeForce. Clock speed is also higher. So I assume it's impossible that this card can't run this game, right? Maybe the driver isn't installed the right way at all and the GPU is using the default windows 7 driver?

I've also checked the GPU tempature, idle around 35 degrees and when gaming max 55 degrees. So thats not the issue either.

I contacted my dealer and they told me I can send it back to run tests. But this will take some time and if it's not necessary I'd rather not send it.

Does anyone know how I could fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

SPECS:

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E6550

RAM: 2GB

GPU: MSI n450gts-md2gd3 (1x 22" screen plugged in)

MOBO: MSI P6N SLI-F V2

Posted 02/23/2012 06:53 PM   
Try to follow the steps in the thread: geforce driver installation guide. Then try to do a custom install of the last driver choosing only graphic driver and physx. If you still get TDR try the 275.33 driver or the 290.53 beta driver if you play battlefield 3..
Try to follow the steps in the thread: geforce driver installation guide. Then try to do a custom install of the last driver choosing only graphic driver and physx. If you still get TDR try the 275.33 driver or the 290.53 beta driver if you play battlefield 3..

Asus p8p67

intel i5 2500

8 gb kingston ddr3 1333 mhz

Asus engtx560 ti dc2 (830 mhz)

Asus xonar ds

Hdd maxtor 750gb 7200 rpm

Monitor Asus ve228t 1920x1080 60hz

Psu Thermaltake xt 775w

windows 7 64bit

Nothing overclocked

Posted 02/23/2012 07:54 PM   
[quote name='Kevin_91' date='23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1330023198' post='1373980']
the graphic driver stopped working and was restored, it also said something about kernel 295.73.
[/quote]

That's a TDR (timeout detection and recovery), as clod85 mentioned. There are a couple of sticky topics at the top of this forum that deal with that very issue. Can be anything from bad drivers to bad hardware (typically RAM or video card), or anything in-between.
[quote name='Kevin_91' date='23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1330023198' post='1373980']

the graphic driver stopped working and was restored, it also said something about kernel 295.73.

That's a TDR (timeout detection and recovery), as clod85 mentioned. There are a couple of sticky topics at the top of this forum that deal with that very issue. Can be anything from bad drivers to bad hardware (typically RAM or video card), or anything in-between.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 02/23/2012 08:13 PM   
Thanks for the fast replies guys, I'll check it out as soon as possible.

Is there a way to check if my hardware is broken? Because then I'll send it back.

EDIT: Is there also a way to test if my graphics driver is working properly?
Because as I said, a game that ran good with my 8600GT is lagging all the time with my 450GTS..
Or could there be another explanation for this?
Thanks for the fast replies guys, I'll check it out as soon as possible.

Is there a way to check if my hardware is broken? Because then I'll send it back.

EDIT: Is there also a way to test if my graphics driver is working properly?

Because as I said, a game that ran good with my 8600GT is lagging all the time with my 450GTS..

Or could there be another explanation for this?

Posted 02/23/2012 08:17 PM   
Scroll To Top