Disappearing SLI detection Upgrading driver disables SLI detection
  1 / 2    
I'm sure this is not an unusual question. What shocks me is that after hundreds of thousands of complaints of this issue, todays release of the 2.95.xx driver MADE IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Today I installed the latest greatest driver nVidia has to offer and after rebooting, SURPRISE! No more SLI.

My system:

GA-Z68XP ud4 with latest BIOS F6
Intel Core i7 2600k
ADATA RAM @1600 1.5v DDR3 (2x4GB)
Windows 7 Pro x64bit (fresh install)
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA III x2
Galaxy nVidia Geforce GTX460 768MB x2 (in the correct slots)
Coolermaster Silent Pro 850 (nVidia SLI Certified)

It took me two weeks to get things solved, reading posts, upgrading and rolling back my drivers, bios etc. to get SLI to function correctly. Finally I saw someone using the 275.xx driver for WOW so I tried it and presto it worked. Today I saw the new release and thought "there's no way nVidia DIDN'T see and solve this issue" so I tried it. Initially I had a reliable working SLI setup with my above hardware and WHQL driver 275.33. Today I downloaded driver 295.75 installed it as a clean install no errors, without a hitch. I pull up nVidia control panel and NO SLI option.

Before I begin ripping out all my hair again reinstalling windows, safe booting, driver sweeping, upgrading, downgrading, rolling back, restoring.....you get the picture...

NVIDIA!!! WHAT HAPPENED????

Addendum:

Apologies nVidia, I found and read the instructions on how to install your drivers. I disabled all windows defender and firewall, used task manager to close all audio controllers etc. I installation program as administrator and presto, everything works great. I will pass this on to others.
I'm sure this is not an unusual question. What shocks me is that after hundreds of thousands of complaints of this issue, todays release of the 2.95.xx driver MADE IT HAPPEN AGAIN.

Today I installed the latest greatest driver nVidia has to offer and after rebooting, SURPRISE! No more SLI.

My system:

GA-Z68XP ud4 with latest BIOS F6

Intel Core i7 2600k

ADATA RAM @1600 1.5v DDR3 (2x4GB)

Windows 7 Pro x64bit (fresh install)

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA III x2

Galaxy nVidia Geforce GTX460 768MB x2 (in the correct slots)

Coolermaster Silent Pro 850 (nVidia SLI Certified)

It took me two weeks to get things solved, reading posts, upgrading and rolling back my drivers, bios etc. to get SLI to function correctly. Finally I saw someone using the 275.xx driver for WOW so I tried it and presto it worked. Today I saw the new release and thought "there's no way nVidia DIDN'T see and solve this issue" so I tried it. Initially I had a reliable working SLI setup with my above hardware and WHQL driver 275.33. Today I downloaded driver 295.75 installed it as a clean install no errors, without a hitch. I pull up nVidia control panel and NO SLI option.

Before I begin ripping out all my hair again reinstalling windows, safe booting, driver sweeping, upgrading, downgrading, rolling back, restoring.....you get the picture...

NVIDIA!!! WHAT HAPPENED????

Addendum:

Apologies nVidia, I found and read the instructions on how to install your drivers. I disabled all windows defender and firewall, used task manager to close all audio controllers etc. I installation program as administrator and presto, everything works great. I will pass this on to others.

Posted 02/22/2012 01:40 AM   
Hi I had exactly the same problem as you, managed to get sli to show by taking the same steps but when i reboot with SLI turned on I get a windows message
with no nvidia device is no connected and 640x480 resolution and if I reboot after install with it turned off SLi just dissapears again. I did not have any
of these problems with the 275.33 driver they work fine all my problems started with the drivers after this.
Hi I had exactly the same problem as you, managed to get sli to show by taking the same steps but when i reboot with SLI turned on I get a windows message

with no nvidia device is no connected and 640x480 resolution and if I reboot after install with it turned off SLi just dissapears again. I did not have any

of these problems with the 275.33 driver they work fine all my problems started with the drivers after this.

Posted 02/22/2012 10:37 AM   
I have the exact problem. Everytime I update my drivers the SLI option disappears of the CP and this time is no different. Even with all the betas (every beta got me the same problem) and they didn't solved it. I'm sick of my SLI.

I always have to reboot the pc like 5 times to get my SLI detected but this time that neither does work. And I have the problem @oddballs says too. I start my PC and I get the 800x600 desktop without drivers etc.

I swear I won't buy another nvidia card if they don't solve this. And I've spent a lot, I mean A LOT, on nvidia cards, but this is the last time if I don't get the things working. I can accept that on a beta driver, but no on a WHQL.

I'm very angry with this
I have the exact problem. Everytime I update my drivers the SLI option disappears of the CP and this time is no different. Even with all the betas (every beta got me the same problem) and they didn't solved it. I'm sick of my SLI.

I always have to reboot the pc like 5 times to get my SLI detected but this time that neither does work. And I have the problem @oddballs says too. I start my PC and I get the 800x600 desktop without drivers etc.

I swear I won't buy another nvidia card if they don't solve this. And I've spent a lot, I mean A LOT, on nvidia cards, but this is the last time if I don't get the things working. I can accept that on a beta driver, but no on a WHQL.

I'm very angry with this

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.6 Ghz | SLI 2x MSI Cyclone GTX460 1 GB OC | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v2 | 3x2 GB GSkill DDR3-1600 Pi Series |

GSkill Phoenix Pro 60 GB (SSD) | Seagate 1 TB SATA2 | Corsair AX750 W | Cooler Master HAF X 942 | BenQ V2410T 24' FullHD LED

Posted 02/22/2012 03:15 PM   
Ditto, even tried memery.uag's solution with no result.

Like iCharlie17 said, when you spend a lot on graphics cards, you don't expect these problems EVERY time you get a driver upgrade!
Ditto, even tried memery.uag's solution with no result.

Like iCharlie17 said, when you spend a lot on graphics cards, you don't expect these problems EVERY time you get a driver upgrade!

Posted 02/22/2012 03:44 PM   
[quote name='memery.uag' date='22 February 2012 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1329874831' post='1372711']
Addendum:

[/quote]

If you can help us I would love to hear how we're suppose to do it. thanks a lot
[quote name='memery.uag' date='22 February 2012 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1329874831' post='1372711']

Addendum:

If you can help us I would love to hear how we're suppose to do it. thanks a lot

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.6 Ghz | SLI 2x MSI Cyclone GTX460 1 GB OC | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v2 | 3x2 GB GSkill DDR3-1600 Pi Series |

GSkill Phoenix Pro 60 GB (SSD) | Seagate 1 TB SATA2 | Corsair AX750 W | Cooler Master HAF X 942 | BenQ V2410T 24' FullHD LED

Posted 02/22/2012 05:12 PM   
[quote name='iCharlie17' date='22 February 2012 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1329930752' post='1373223']
[/quote]

I was having the same problem as well every time I installed a new driver SLi option disappeared what had fixed it for me was trying a different Lan Network Driver.

I had the latest network driver for my mobo then I rolled back to a previous version restarted and the SLi option came back. I don't know how the two are related but this is what worked for me I also read this on Tom's Hardware in a thread where the OP was having a similar issue.
[quote name='iCharlie17' date='22 February 2012 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1329930752' post='1373223']

I was having the same problem as well every time I installed a new driver SLi option disappeared what had fixed it for me was trying a different Lan Network Driver.

I had the latest network driver for my mobo then I rolled back to a previous version restarted and the SLi option came back. I don't know how the two are related but this is what worked for me I also read this on Tom's Hardware in a thread where the OP was having a similar issue.

Posted 02/22/2012 05:30 PM   
SLI option vanished for me as well. It was running fine on the previous driver. Whats the deal? I shouldnt have to spend time on Google to fix this silly problem.
SLI option vanished for me as well. It was running fine on the previous driver. Whats the deal? I shouldnt have to spend time on Google to fix this silly problem.

Posted 02/22/2012 07:15 PM   
"You have a Realtek RTL8111E Network chip and I will bet that it is the same issue a lot of people are having with Realtek and SLI.
I believe it to be mainly X58 chipsets affected but it may be worth trying this:

Uninstall the Realtek software and drivers you have presently installed, making sure you have a copy of the driver revision 7.46.610.2011 dated 10/06/2011 already downloaded as well as the Nvidia driver of choice.
You can get the Realtek software on the EVGA support site for X58 SLI (the Gigabyte release is 7.048.0823.2011 on the official download site. Download that again too)

Now uninstall the Nvidia software just like you did before (uninstall/safe mode/driversweeper (with Realtek NIC also selected)/reboot) and on reboot uninstall any driver autoamtically loaded for the Realtek device. Disable it in Device Manager too. Now install the Nvidia drivers as you wish and reboot.

See if SLI is stable...

If so, then it is likely that the Realtek driver is causing SLI to become flaky. This exact thing happened to me and it was causing me to literally FUME!

Once yr happy that SLI is stable, re-enable the Realtek and put on the drivers. I use 7.46.610.2011 without issue at the moment and all my problems have gone. I have to repeat this process on every new Nvidia driver release.

Perhaps this may be a solution?"

I found this on another site and it has worked for me. I followed instructions step by step, using Driver Sweeper in safe mode. Upon reboot, sli was deteced and I enabled it. Hope this helps. Still, I shouldnt have to spend time looking for a solution like this...
"You have a Realtek RTL8111E Network chip and I will bet that it is the same issue a lot of people are having with Realtek and SLI.

I believe it to be mainly X58 chipsets affected but it may be worth trying this:

Uninstall the Realtek software and drivers you have presently installed, making sure you have a copy of the driver revision 7.46.610.2011 dated 10/06/2011 already downloaded as well as the Nvidia driver of choice.

You can get the Realtek software on the EVGA support site for X58 SLI (the Gigabyte release is 7.048.0823.2011 on the official download site. Download that again too)

Now uninstall the Nvidia software just like you did before (uninstall/safe mode/driversweeper (with Realtek NIC also selected)/reboot) and on reboot uninstall any driver autoamtically loaded for the Realtek device. Disable it in Device Manager too. Now install the Nvidia drivers as you wish and reboot.

See if SLI is stable...

If so, then it is likely that the Realtek driver is causing SLI to become flaky. This exact thing happened to me and it was causing me to literally FUME!

Once yr happy that SLI is stable, re-enable the Realtek and put on the drivers. I use 7.46.610.2011 without issue at the moment and all my problems have gone. I have to repeat this process on every new Nvidia driver release.

Perhaps this may be a solution?"

I found this on another site and it has worked for me. I followed instructions step by step, using Driver Sweeper in safe mode. Upon reboot, sli was deteced and I enabled it. Hope this helps. Still, I shouldnt have to spend time looking for a solution like this...

Posted 02/22/2012 07:57 PM   
I'm a little bit noob on this matter...could you tell me how to do the realtek driver stuff step by step or give me a link or something?

does it matter which mother board I own? how can I know my actual driver, etc? A link explaining how to correctly use driver sweeper and update drivers would be also much appreciated.

But I keep my words, If I have to fix this thing this way because nvidia can't make drivers compatible with realtek I won't buy any from them even If I fix it

thanks in advance

edit: this is my motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v2

thanks
I'm a little bit noob on this matter...could you tell me how to do the realtek driver stuff step by step or give me a link or something?

does it matter which mother board I own? how can I know my actual driver, etc? A link explaining how to correctly use driver sweeper and update drivers would be also much appreciated.

But I keep my words, If I have to fix this thing this way because nvidia can't make drivers compatible with realtek I won't buy any from them even If I fix it

thanks in advance

thanks

Posted 02/22/2012 08:25 PM   
[quote name='iCharlie17' date='22 February 2012 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1329942311' post='1373352']

thanks in advance

thanks
[/quote]

It does matter which mobo you own.

Heres a link to reference... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341018-33-realtek-problem (They're realtek drivers are not of the same chipset as yours)

But I looked up your mobo and you have this...

LAN
1. 1 x Realtek 8111D chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)

So you just have to find corresponding drivers to match with your 8111D chipset.

I basically just uninstalled the lan network driver through device manager and installed a new one, didn't use driver sweeper idk if its necessary.

Hope this helps, sorry I'm not the most tech saavy :P
[quote name='iCharlie17' date='22 February 2012 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1329942311' post='1373352']

thanks in advance

thanks

It does matter which mobo you own.

Heres a link to reference... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/341018-33-realtek-problem (They're realtek drivers are not of the same chipset as yours)

But I looked up your mobo and you have this...

LAN

1. 1 x Realtek 8111D chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)

So you just have to find corresponding drivers to match with your 8111D chipset.

I basically just uninstalled the lan network driver through device manager and installed a new one, didn't use driver sweeper idk if its necessary.

Hope this helps, sorry I'm not the most tech saavy :P

Posted 02/23/2012 05:56 AM   
I have had the same issue with the Realtek network driver. I installed the driver specified by my motherboard manufacturer (from their drivers site) and that fixed the issue (I believe it was version 7.048). If you install the latest from Realtek's web site, you will likely have problems.
I have had the same issue with the Realtek network driver. I installed the driver specified by my motherboard manufacturer (from their drivers site) and that fixed the issue (I believe it was version 7.048). If you install the latest from Realtek's web site, you will likely have problems.

Posted 02/23/2012 06:08 AM   
[quote name='Oddballs' date='22 February 2012 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1329907051' post='1372964']
[/quote]
I removed the lan driver and my graphics cards went back to normal so it must be an issue with Realtek and Sli
[quote name='Oddballs' date='22 February 2012 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1329907051' post='1372964']

I removed the lan driver and my graphics cards went back to normal so it must be an issue with Realtek and Sli

Posted 02/23/2012 12:57 PM   
But problem is that this new driver have issues with all network driver (realtek, intel and for me kigfoot killer). You can see that on different topic in this forum.
So it's not a lan driver's problem , it's nvidia driver's that caused problem.
If nvidia can read this repply and say why graphic can driver will cause issue with lan driver, it will be nice...
But problem is that this new driver have issues with all network driver (realtek, intel and for me kigfoot killer). You can see that on different topic in this forum.

If nvidia can read this repply and say why graphic can driver will cause issue with lan driver, it will be nice...

Posted 02/23/2012 05:05 PM   
[quote name='s_n_t' date='23 February 2012 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1330016734' post='1373942']
[/quote]

I'm using 290.53 so I don't have the issue but the only solution for now is to downgrade to an earlier version I never update my drivers if they're already running stable especially with the garbage Nvidia has been releasing these past couple drivers.

I don't think nvidia will offer an instant fix so just downgrade and wait until the problem is/if solved.
[quote name='s_n_t' date='23 February 2012 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1330016734' post='1373942']

I'm using 290.53 so I don't have the issue but the only solution for now is to downgrade to an earlier version I never update my drivers if they're already running stable especially with the garbage Nvidia has been releasing these past couple drivers.

I don't think nvidia will offer an instant fix so just downgrade and wait until the problem is/if solved.

Posted 02/23/2012 06:03 PM   
I have just stumbled on an answer to this problem, it may not work for everyone but it has worked for me.

On opening Nvidia Control Panel,again, looking at the options tree on the left (see screenshot)I noticed that under the "Manage 3D Settings where the SLI option goes, the branch was there but no text BUT clicking on the branch did open the SLI options and was able to enable SLI once more.

The only downside is that I've lost all my desktop icons, I am hoping a reboot will solve that.

[attachment=24525:SLI.jpg]
I have just stumbled on an answer to this problem, it may not work for everyone but it has worked for me.

On opening Nvidia Control Panel,again, looking at the options tree on the left (see screenshot)I noticed that under the "Manage 3D Settings where the SLI option goes, the branch was there but no text BUT clicking on the branch did open the SLI options and was able to enable SLI once more.

The only downside is that I've lost all my desktop icons, I am hoping a reboot will solve that.

[attachment=24525:SLI.jpg]

Posted 02/23/2012 06:44 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top