Fake GeForce GT 240 video cards beware!
I made the thread to let others know and to let Nvidia know that, there is a company (there name being HI-PC, out of Broklynn, New York) that is selling Fake Geforce 240 get cards. I hate to admit it but I recently bought one from them for a low buget gaming machine for my nephew (in the works of getting a refund, or atleast working on trying to get). The card seems to be a flashed 7300 gt card that has had its Bios altered to read as a 240 gt 1g card when in fact this is not, Nvidia does not reconize the hardware nor are the drivers even Windows complaint. I purchused the Card thro Ebay (yeah yeah I know bad idea but not all us can afford retail prices, and this is the first time I have got ripped off on anything) from HI-PC. They have 3 diffrent version of the card up on active auctions right now. 256 mb, 512 mbs, and 1g cards all clearly marked at GeForce 240 gt cards, yet they are not what they are selling them as, not sure if anything can be done to get these removed so no one else has this issue, but figured I would give everyone a heads up.
I made the thread to let others know and to let Nvidia know that, there is a company (there name being HI-PC, out of Broklynn, New York) that is selling Fake Geforce 240 get cards. I hate to admit it but I recently bought one from them for a low buget gaming machine for my nephew (in the works of getting a refund, or atleast working on trying to get). The card seems to be a flashed 7300 gt card that has had its Bios altered to read as a 240 gt 1g card when in fact this is not, Nvidia does not reconize the hardware nor are the drivers even Windows complaint. I purchused the Card thro Ebay (yeah yeah I know bad idea but not all us can afford retail prices, and this is the first time I have got ripped off on anything) from HI-PC. They have 3 diffrent version of the card up on active auctions right now. 256 mb, 512 mbs, and 1g cards all clearly marked at GeForce 240 gt cards, yet they are not what they are selling them as, not sure if anything can be done to get these removed so no one else has this issue, but figured I would give everyone a heads up.

Posted 02/21/2012 11:43 PM   
Just dispute it with PayPal and get your money back.
Just dispute it with PayPal and get your money back.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 02/22/2012 01:09 AM   
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528619/geforce-drivers/nvidia-geforce-7600-problems-downloading-installing-drivers/ I think the poor guy who was helping me discovered the same thing about the card I got, funny enough - from the SAME SELLER!! Bump this and and make sure NVidia/GeForce knows about these people. Found several more posts on other tech sites for the same problem, and often the same seller!!!! Geez, lets get these people outta there!
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/528619/geforce-drivers/nvidia-geforce-7600-problems-downloading-installing-drivers/

I think the poor guy who was helping me discovered the same thing about the card I got, funny enough - from the SAME SELLER!!

Bump this and and make sure NVidia/GeForce knows about these people. Found several more posts on other tech sites for the same problem, and often the same seller!!!! Geez, lets get these people outta there!

Posted 02/02/2013 02:27 AM   
Yep! Lodge with Pay-pal and e-bay that you've had a fraudulent transaction. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a 256MB GT240. Even if Nvidia does know it will be hard for them to do anything about bogus Chinese imports. There heaps of pirate version of Windows coming out of the place too. The sellers usually stay until the negative feedback starts coming in, if that long, then close their e-bay account. No doubt opening another one soon after. I believe the Feds in the USA investigate the local resellers, and have had a word with the gov in China, for what that's worth. I bought a bogus Win7 HP on e-bay back in Nov.,but got suspicious after the seller didn't respond to messages. I knew I was correct in my suspicion when Pay-Pal gave me a link to a tracking number with a 404 error and Chinese script. It sent them another e-mail and explained the OS was supposed to have been located in Oz and MS has regional activation restrictions, so I would not accept the OS even if it were legitimate. It took a while but Pay-Pal refunded my dosh. Two months later a pirate version of Win7 arrived from China, so I have a little trophy of my experience. For the most part PC components are more expensive on e-bay than reputable on line retailers. At least here in Oz they are. Try NewEgg in future. They have good return policy apparently, and are probably as cheap as you will get. [url]http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?name=Computer-Hardware[/url]
Yep! Lodge with Pay-pal and e-bay that you've had a fraudulent transaction.
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a 256MB GT240.
Even if Nvidia does know it will be hard for them to do anything about bogus Chinese imports.

There heaps of pirate version of Windows coming out of the place too.
The sellers usually stay until the negative feedback starts coming in, if that long, then close
their e-bay account. No doubt opening another one soon after.
I believe the Feds in the USA investigate the local resellers, and have had a word with the
gov in China, for what that's worth.
I bought a bogus Win7 HP on e-bay back in Nov.,but got suspicious after the seller didn't
respond to messages. I knew I was correct in my suspicion when Pay-Pal gave me a link to a tracking number with a 404 error and Chinese script. It sent them another e-mail and explained the OS was supposed to have been located in Oz and MS has regional activation restrictions, so I would not accept the OS even if it were legitimate. It took a while but Pay-Pal refunded my dosh. Two months later a pirate version of Win7 arrived from China, so I have a little trophy of my experience.

For the most part PC components are more expensive on e-bay than reputable on line retailers.
At least here in Oz they are.
Try NewEgg in future. They have good return policy apparently, and are probably as cheap
as you will get.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?name=Computer-Hardware

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 02/05/2013 05:22 AM   
This is the responsibility of the seller and the service. Take it up with ebay, this is pretty blatantly illegal.
This is the responsibility of the seller and the service. Take it up with ebay, this is pretty blatantly illegal.

M4N75TD | Phenom II 960T | G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3 | TP650
EVGA GTX660 SC 1059 | ViewSonic VX2268WM | some junky extra displays
Xonar DG | ATH A700X

Posted 02/05/2013 07:35 PM   
Scroll To Top