GTX 570 Cooling options?
Hi There,

I have recently purchased a new rig with GTX 570 SLi (KFA2). To be honest the stock coolers are rubbish so I ordered 2 Zalman VGA coolers, got the bottom one fitted fine and can't believe the difference, playing Alan Wake maxed at 1080p doesn't go above 45 degrees! However, I made a mistake in not realising these take up 3 slots, so haven't got room for a second! The top card is hitting high 80's.

If anyone can suggest an aftermarket cooler that will only take up the same space as the original, plus 10mm or so, that would be great!!

Cheers
Hi There,

I have recently purchased a new rig with GTX 570 SLi (KFA2). To be honest the stock coolers are rubbish so I ordered 2 Zalman VGA coolers, got the bottom one fitted fine and can't believe the difference, playing Alan Wake maxed at 1080p doesn't go above 45 degrees! However, I made a mistake in not realising these take up 3 slots, so haven't got room for a second! The top card is hitting high 80's.

If anyone can suggest an aftermarket cooler that will only take up the same space as the original, plus 10mm or so, that would be great!!

Cheers

Posted 02/21/2012 09:04 PM   
Thermalright make a 90 degree VGA cooler called Spitfire that might work:

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=30&id=93

It fits the 570 using the GTX400 series Bolt-Through-Kit (GF100-BTK)

The heatsink ends up positioned above the cards and so would work well in cases with side fans. Or you can fit either one or two 120mm or 140mm fans to it. It includes hardware to support the card to prevent it from drooping under the weight.

I used Thermalright coolers on a pair of 8800GTs long ago and they worked great.

The downside of these coolers, though, is that, although they cool the GPU itself really well, they are not so great with the RAM and VRMs because they rely on small stick-on heatsinks for these that are just not as good as the original cooler. They are OK if you are not overclocking the cards, though. If you are (and especially if you are overVolting), they may not be good enough to keep the chips cool.

You might be able to work something out using the RAM/VRM heatsink from your Zalman, though.

But high 80s is OK, really. The max temp for the GTX570 is 97c and nVidia's own fan profiles are designed to prevent the GPUs from going above 90. My 470s have been hitting 90c for 18 months and are perfectly OK. Tmax for the 470 is 105c, so I'm not concerned by 90.
Thermalright make a 90 degree VGA cooler called Spitfire that might work:

http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data&cat_id=30&id=93

It fits the 570 using the GTX400 series Bolt-Through-Kit (GF100-BTK)

The heatsink ends up positioned above the cards and so would work well in cases with side fans. Or you can fit either one or two 120mm or 140mm fans to it. It includes hardware to support the card to prevent it from drooping under the weight.

I used Thermalright coolers on a pair of 8800GTs long ago and they worked great.

The downside of these coolers, though, is that, although they cool the GPU itself really well, they are not so great with the RAM and VRMs because they rely on small stick-on heatsinks for these that are just not as good as the original cooler. They are OK if you are not overclocking the cards, though. If you are (and especially if you are overVolting), they may not be good enough to keep the chips cool.

You might be able to work something out using the RAM/VRM heatsink from your Zalman, though.

But high 80s is OK, really. The max temp for the GTX570 is 97c and nVidia's own fan profiles are designed to prevent the GPUs from going above 90. My 470s have been hitting 90c for 18 months and are perfectly OK. Tmax for the 470 is 105c, so I'm not concerned by 90.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/25/2012 09:31 AM   
What motherboard are you using that you only have room for a 2 slot cooler?

Try mounting a fan behind the video cards, that'll help the top card run cooler:

[IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/MynxNess84/GPUButtFan2.jpg[/IMG]
What motherboard are you using that you only have room for a 2 slot cooler?

Try mounting a fan behind the video cards, that'll help the top card run cooler:

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/25/2012 10:44 AM   
Scroll To Top