Battlefield 3 recommendations
Hi Guys I'm new and all and recently bought the exciting battlefield 3. Unfortunately I am unable to play in the lowest possible settings and still suffer some major lag. In my windows experience index I got 5.5 whereas battlefield 3 minimum is 5.3 what other things must I do? I'm not really good with computers so I may need help along the way /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

But Thanks in advance.
Hi Guys I'm new and all and recently bought the exciting battlefield 3. Unfortunately I am unable to play in the lowest possible settings and still suffer some major lag. In my windows experience index I got 5.5 whereas battlefield 3 minimum is 5.3 what other things must I do? I'm not really good with computers so I may need help along the way /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

But Thanks in advance.

Posted 02/21/2012 01:47 PM   
What resolutions do you run? and what graphics card do you have?

Posted 02/22/2012 05:10 PM   
[quote name='Bamsemus' date='23 February 2012 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1329930611' post='1373216']
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply but I don't know how to check it....
[quote name='Bamsemus' date='23 February 2012 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1329930611' post='1373216']

Thanks for the reply but I don't know how to check it....

Posted 02/22/2012 10:04 PM   
Click start, go to control panel. From there find System or go to system & maintainance then find System under there. that should list your processor, ram amount, & GPU.
Click start, go to control panel. From there find System or go to system & maintainance then find System under there. that should list your processor, ram amount, & GPU.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/23/2012 12:31 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='23 February 2012 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1330000318' post='1373809']
[/quote]

Hi! Thanks for the reply!
I have:

Windows edition
Windows 7 Home Premium
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Cooperation. All right reserved

System
Manufacture: ECS
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating system
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='23 February 2012 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1330000318' post='1373809']

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I have:

Windows edition

Windows 7 Home Premium

Copyright 2009 Microsoft Cooperation. All right reserved

System

Manufacture: ECS

Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System type: 32-bit Operating system

Posted 02/24/2012 11:02 AM   
Egad. The main problem is the RAM. You only have 2GB, that's not enough to run BF3 smoothly from what I understand, as the maps even on low quality, are massive in size (in excess of 1GB) and if yer running Windows 7 which you are, it uses up to 1GB just sitting there... so you're going on to Paging File, which will significantly tank your performance in game even further.

We still need to figure out your graphics card, but with a system like that, I imagine it's some AMD 4xxx-series POS.

Right click your desktop and click either NVidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center, depending on which one is there. Lemme know what it says.
Egad. The main problem is the RAM. You only have 2GB, that's not enough to run BF3 smoothly from what I understand, as the maps even on low quality, are massive in size (in excess of 1GB) and if yer running Windows 7 which you are, it uses up to 1GB just sitting there... so you're going on to Paging File, which will significantly tank your performance in game even further.

We still need to figure out your graphics card, but with a system like that, I imagine it's some AMD 4xxx-series POS.

Right click your desktop and click either NVidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center, depending on which one is there. Lemme know what it says.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/24/2012 03:01 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1330095685' post='1374400']

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! My Nvidia controller says

Geforce 9600 GSO 512

Core Clock: 650MHz
Shader clock: 1625MHz
Memory clock: 700MHz
memory interface 256-bit
Total available graphics 1279 MB
Dedicated video memory 512 MB GDDR3
IRQ: 16
Bus:PCI Express x16
System video memory 0MB
Shared system memory 767MB
Video BIOS version 62.94.82.00.05

^ Dunno what those are but hope it helps :D
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='24 February 2012 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1330095685' post='1374400']

Thanks for the reply! My Nvidia controller says

Geforce 9600 GSO 512

Core Clock: 650MHz

Shader clock: 1625MHz

Memory clock: 700MHz

memory interface 256-bit

Total available graphics 1279 MB

Dedicated video memory 512 MB GDDR3

IRQ: 16

Bus:PCI Express x16

System video memory 0MB

Shared system memory 767MB

Video BIOS version 62.94.82.00.05

^ Dunno what those are but hope it helps :D

Posted 02/24/2012 03:21 PM   
Bump
Bump

Posted 02/28/2012 02:15 AM   
O_o

The only way a Athlon Dual Core 2.6Ghz with 2GB of RAM & a 9600GSO is going to run BF3 is only LOW everything at 640x480... MAYBE. You need a whole system upgrade if you wanna run BF3 smoothly, your system is just plain dated. Your video card is too weak, you don't have enough RAM, & your processor has neither the throughput (HT/FSB speeds and/or L2 Cache) nor the raw speed to handle this game well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your computer's parts were released in the days of XP & early Vista, they aren't meant to run games that are brand new now.
O_o

The only way a Athlon Dual Core 2.6Ghz with 2GB of RAM & a 9600GSO is going to run BF3 is only LOW everything at 640x480... MAYBE. You need a whole system upgrade if you wanna run BF3 smoothly, your system is just plain dated. Your video card is too weak, you don't have enough RAM, & your processor has neither the throughput (HT/FSB speeds and/or L2 Cache) nor the raw speed to handle this game well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your computer's parts were released in the days of XP & early Vista, they aren't meant to run games that are brand new now.

Posted 02/28/2012 12:58 PM   
Hi there, I'm new too :)

I've been playing BF3 since its release, but I noticed that my fps are low on medium settings (25-30 average or less)and when I run it on window mode the difference is astonishing, the game is sooo fluid, much much better.
I'm running the game on:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
4GB RAM
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @2.83Ghz
GeForce GTX 550Ti

On single player I can play on Ultra without any prob.
On multi it keeps lagging. My resolution is 1900x1200; I'd like to play on full screen anyway, I hate that window mode (1/3 of my monitor :S)
What should I do? I thought that I could update my RAM to 8 GB, because level loadings are quite slow. Is the CPU too old? Thank you

I've been playing BF3 since its release, but I noticed that my fps are low on medium settings (25-30 average or less)and when I run it on window mode the difference is astonishing, the game is sooo fluid, much much better.

I'm running the game on:

4GB RAM

GeForce GTX 550Ti

On multi it keeps lagging. My resolution is 1900x1200; I'd like to play on full screen anyway, I hate that window mode (1/3 of my monitor :S)

What should I do? I thought that I could update my RAM to 8 GB, because level loadings are quite slow. Is the CPU too old? Thank you

Posted 02/28/2012 03:53 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='28 February 2012 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1330433886' post='1376122']
O_o

[/quote]

Thanx for the reply :D that's what I need to know. Though I may need to save up :S
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='28 February 2012 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1330433886' post='1376122']

O_o

Thanx for the reply :D that's what I need to know. Though I may need to save up :S

Posted 02/29/2012 12:29 AM   
[quote name='lordgreyhelm' date='28 February 2012 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1330444381' post='1376192']

I'm running the game on:
4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 550Ti

[/quote]

The reason you can play SP on Ultra is because SP is a lot less stressful than the MP because of all the other people playing on the map and the rendering that entails. Also, only one or two of the SP maps is anywhere near as big as the MP Maps... so that's why that is the way ti is.

The reason why Windowed mode runs smoother is because it's a smaller resolution. The problem with the GTX 560 Ti is the Memory transfer/bandwidth rate is really slow compared to higher end cards, which means the more textures/higher resolution you run, the more lag you'll experience. Additional RAM I don't think would help you much. I imagine your Q9550 is being pegged by BF3's engine, but you should be able to play on a mix of Low/Medium settings at full resolution and avoid lag for the most part.

I see you're running 1920x1200. Try running 1680x1050 if it looks okay on your monitor. It's not much of a downstep but that saves your video card from having to render about 250,000 pixels. Should help your performance. Or, if you want to go a bit more extreme, try halving your resolution if that's possible in game, set for 1280x768, see if you can get used to that. That should significantly increase your performance as that's literally about half the resolution you're trying to run now.

Frankly, the GTX 550 Ti is simply not made to play a game that intense at that high of a resolution. The card only has 1GB of vRAM & as I said before, it's Memory Bandwidth is lacking. Here's what I'm talking about:

[IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/MynxNess84/550Tivs560Ti.jpg[/IMG]

Notice the Fillrate. The left is the 550 Ti, the right is the 560 Ti. Less than half the fillrate potential O_o that's a big issue for high resolutions like you're running.
[quote name='lordgreyhelm' date='28 February 2012 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1330444381' post='1376192']

I'm running the game on:

4GB RAM

GeForce GTX 550Ti

The reason you can play SP on Ultra is because SP is a lot less stressful than the MP because of all the other people playing on the map and the rendering that entails. Also, only one or two of the SP maps is anywhere near as big as the MP Maps... so that's why that is the way ti is.

The reason why Windowed mode runs smoother is because it's a smaller resolution. The problem with the GTX 560 Ti is the Memory transfer/bandwidth rate is really slow compared to higher end cards, which means the more textures/higher resolution you run, the more lag you'll experience. Additional RAM I don't think would help you much. I imagine your Q9550 is being pegged by BF3's engine, but you should be able to play on a mix of Low/Medium settings at full resolution and avoid lag for the most part.

I see you're running 1920x1200. Try running 1680x1050 if it looks okay on your monitor. It's not much of a downstep but that saves your video card from having to render about 250,000 pixels. Should help your performance. Or, if you want to go a bit more extreme, try halving your resolution if that's possible in game, set for 1280x768, see if you can get used to that. That should significantly increase your performance as that's literally about half the resolution you're trying to run now.

Frankly, the GTX 550 Ti is simply not made to play a game that intense at that high of a resolution. The card only has 1GB of vRAM & as I said before, it's Memory Bandwidth is lacking. Here's what I'm talking about:

Notice the Fillrate. The left is the 550 Ti, the right is the 560 Ti. Less than half the fillrate potential O_o that's a big issue for high resolutions like you're running.

Posted 03/01/2012 11:22 AM   
Alright, I'll keep playing on medium settings or I'll have to adjust my resolution!
I didn't realize that my problems were linked to those specific graphic card's settings like fillrate etc., thanks for the clear and exhaustive explanation :)
Alright, I'll keep playing on medium settings or I'll have to adjust my resolution!

I didn't realize that my problems were linked to those specific graphic card's settings like fillrate etc., thanks for the clear and exhaustive explanation :)

Posted 03/03/2012 01:45 PM   
Scroll To Top