GTX 580 SLI Temperature Issues :(
Hello there,

my name is Aron and I'm 18 years old, my system specs are the following:

MB: Asus P8P67 PRO
CPU: 2600-K (4x4.5Ghz)
GPU: 2x Nvidia 580 GTX (ASUS Voltage Tweak Edition & EVGA)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

My temperatures go up really high while playing and I don't know the limit, I already underclocked my GPU voltage from 1080 mV to 1050 mV by using Afterburner but it still has peaks like 86°C with what I'm not comfortable with :(

I have 2 GPU's, the Asus one is fine , its temperatures are never higher than 70. the EVGA one is the problem, I already had several Bluescreens and driver crashings.

I know there probably ain't any "solution" to it but downclocking but if anyone has a good advice, I'll be grateful :) I'm happy for any answer and suggestions.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Aron
Hello there,

My temperatures go up really high while playing and I don't know the limit, I already underclocked my GPU voltage from 1080 mV to 1050 mV by using Afterburner but it still has peaks like 86°C with what I'm not comfortable with :(

I have 2 GPU's, the Asus one is fine , its temperatures are never higher than 70. the EVGA one is the problem, I already had several Bluescreens and driver crashings.

I know there probably ain't any "solution" to it but downclocking but if anyone has a good advice, I'll be grateful :) I'm happy for any answer and suggestions.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Aron

Posted 02/20/2012 05:54 PM   
List the type of case you have [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif[/img]
List the type of case you have Image

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted by Rsabatino, techjesse you are the people's champ of overclocking

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 02/20/2012 06:01 PM   
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1329760860' post='1371876']
List the type of case you have [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Sure, it's called

'Corsair Obsidian 650D'
http://www.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/5/650d_a.png

It's a really good case actually, it might be the positioning of the GPU's :S

Thanks for your reply! :D
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1329760860' post='1371876']

List the type of case you have Image

Sure, it's called

'Corsair Obsidian 650D'

http://www.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/5/650d_a.png

It's a really good case actually, it might be the positioning of the GPU's :S

Thanks for your reply! :D

Posted 02/20/2012 06:04 PM   
If you can mount a fan at the "end" of your GPU's it will drop temps drastically [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wave.gif[/img] [img]http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/jessemitchell25/IMG_0870.jpg[/img]
If you can mount a fan at the "end" of your GPU's it will drop temps drastically Image Image

CM HAF 932 - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme- Intel i7 3930K - Mushkin Redline 16GB 2133 - Antec HCP 1200kw - Galaxy GTX 670 3 way SLI - 2 WD 1TB Black,WD 640GB Black, WD SSD 64GB - Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme - ASUS 24x - Logitech G9 - Logitech G105 - I INC 28" Monitor at 1920 X 1200 (Native) Wow Gaming is great! Speakers - Logitech 530's - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 02/20/2012 06:09 PM   
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1329761371' post='1371879']
If you can mount a fan at the "end" of your GPU's it will drop temps drastically [img]http://forums.nvidia.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wave.gif[/img] [img]http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/jessemitchell25/IMG_0870.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

oh damn /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> I have no idea how to do that XD I'll ask my father about this :) The problem is that it's the upper one that's too hot :S
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1329761371' post='1371879']

If you can mount a fan at the "end" of your GPU's it will drop temps drastically Image Image

oh damn /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> I have no idea how to do that XD I'll ask my father about this :) The problem is that it's the upper one that's too hot :S

Posted 02/20/2012 06:11 PM   
See which one runs cooler and put it in the top slot, and a fan will really help so you wont burn up you GPU's. TJ
See which one runs cooler and put it in the top slot, and a fan will really help so you wont burn up you GPU's. TJ

Vantage P70249ORB

Posted 02/20/2012 06:18 PM   
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1329761881' post='1371885']
[/quote]

That doesn't work sadly, because then there wouldn't be any space at all ;( the ASUS one is 3 Slots big, the other one 2, right now there's 1 slot of space between them, if I would change them, there wouldn't be any space at all :(

Cheers,
Aron
[quote name='techjesse' date='20 February 2012 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1329761881' post='1371885']

That doesn't work sadly, because then there wouldn't be any space at all ;( the ASUS one is 3 Slots big, the other one 2, right now there's 1 slot of space between them, if I would change them, there wouldn't be any space at all :(

Cheers,

Aron

Posted 02/20/2012 06:42 PM   
Put the three slotter on bottom, that'll give the top card extra breathing room.

Setup a fan profile with MSI Afterburner (install it if you don't have it google it), and make your fans crank up to ~85% when you go over 60C. That should lower your temps a bit, and be tolerable on noise level. I have mine setup like this right now, and I never see 60C with the fans running 80% upon hitting 50C... If you want my exact fan profile screenshot lemme know and I'll give it to ya.

If you can and you have $20+shipping to spare, I recommend a High Flow Bracket to help the eVGA exhaust better. That can lead to a 3-5C drop in load temps. Well worth the money IMO, and they raise the resale value of the eVGA card.

Also, if you can, since you can't do the "back fan" like TJ suggested, which works great, you can try a side fan if there's room and your case doesn't have one by default. That would help also. Basically, you need to increase airflow in to the area of the cards... alot. 85C isn't "dangerous" But it's unacceptable IMO when you can run much cooler with better airflow.
Put the three slotter on bottom, that'll give the top card extra breathing room.

Setup a fan profile with MSI Afterburner (install it if you don't have it google it), and make your fans crank up to ~85% when you go over 60C. That should lower your temps a bit, and be tolerable on noise level. I have mine setup like this right now, and I never see 60C with the fans running 80% upon hitting 50C... If you want my exact fan profile screenshot lemme know and I'll give it to ya.

If you can and you have $20+shipping to spare, I recommend a High Flow Bracket to help the eVGA exhaust better. That can lead to a 3-5C drop in load temps. Well worth the money IMO, and they raise the resale value of the eVGA card.

Also, if you can, since you can't do the "back fan" like TJ suggested, which works great, you can try a side fan if there's room and your case doesn't have one by default. That would help also. Basically, you need to increase airflow in to the area of the cards... alot. 85C isn't "dangerous" But it's unacceptable IMO when you can run much cooler with better airflow.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/20/2012 06:53 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1329764016' post='1371904']

[/quote]

Hey, thanks for your reply :)

I do have MSI Afterburner, I use it to monitor the temps.

even in idle my card is 42C°-43C° /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> it would basically be 80% fan all time /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> and as I mentioned above, if the 3 slot one would be above the 2 slot one it there wouldn't be ANY space at all between it :S Do I have to worry about that? What would you say that 60°C is a normal load temperature? :o What should be the peak of a load stress test?

I have a H70 for my processor which makes it pretty cool already, the case also provides good air conditioning, it's just the upper card :S well whatever, thanks for the advises! :) I'll see what happens if I change them.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1329764016' post='1371904']

Hey, thanks for your reply :)

I do have MSI Afterburner, I use it to monitor the temps.

even in idle my card is 42C°-43C° /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> it would basically be 80% fan all time /bloated.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':X' /> and as I mentioned above, if the 3 slot one would be above the 2 slot one it there wouldn't be ANY space at all between it :S Do I have to worry about that? What would you say that 60°C is a normal load temperature? :o What should be the peak of a load stress test?

I have a H70 for my processor which makes it pretty cool already, the case also provides good air conditioning, it's just the upper card :S well whatever, thanks for the advises! :) I'll see what happens if I change them.

Posted 02/20/2012 07:43 PM   
Has to be airflow then. 43C idle is kinda high. Mine are running 36C as we speak & it's actually warm in the room right now, at 50% fan.

And 60C is just a better temperature to run at. It's not "Good" it's excellent. If you can keep your cards under 75C, that's ideal, if not 70C.

Putting the triple slot card in the upper slot might actually help O_o give it a try, see what happens.

Try setting up the fan profile so that at idle (under 45C) it stays at 50%, but when it goes up to 50C, raise it to 65%, then at 60C, 85%... and I'd say, probably 70C is where you wanna bump to 100%. There HAS to be somewhere you can improve your airflow cuz 85C while not "dangerous" for the card, is just plain absurd imo.
Has to be airflow then. 43C idle is kinda high. Mine are running 36C as we speak & it's actually warm in the room right now, at 50% fan.

And 60C is just a better temperature to run at. It's not "Good" it's excellent. If you can keep your cards under 75C, that's ideal, if not 70C.

Putting the triple slot card in the upper slot might actually help O_o give it a try, see what happens.

Try setting up the fan profile so that at idle (under 45C) it stays at 50%, but when it goes up to 50C, raise it to 65%, then at 60C, 85%... and I'd say, probably 70C is where you wanna bump to 100%. There HAS to be somewhere you can improve your airflow cuz 85C while not "dangerous" for the card, is just plain absurd imo.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/20/2012 10:14 PM   
hi,

or maby don't bother you with new material install or something else and just look in nvidia 3d setting panel for "multi-display/mixed gpu acceleration" and set it to "multi display performance mod".

I have the same problem with my 470's sli, the one plug to my screen run really hot( more than 105°c in bf3, and the temp difference between the two card more than 25°c)... with this setting the 2 cards temp are approximativelly equal...

Hope that it can help you...
hi,

or maby don't bother you with new material install or something else and just look in nvidia 3d setting panel for "multi-display/mixed gpu acceleration" and set it to "multi display performance mod".

I have the same problem with my 470's sli, the one plug to my screen run really hot( more than 105°c in bf3, and the temp difference between the two card more than 25°c)... with this setting the 2 cards temp are approximativelly equal...

Hope that it can help you...

Posted 02/21/2012 08:03 PM   
[quote name='hl2mukkel' date='20 February 2012 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1329760446' post='1371875']
Hello there,

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Aron
[/quote]

if your not to good at installing another fan at the end of the cards in your case (which is a very good case) then take the side cover off and sit a small desk fan next to it and point it at the graphics cards.
[quote name='hl2mukkel' date='20 February 2012 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1329760446' post='1371875']

Hello there,

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Aron

if your not to good at installing another fan at the end of the cards in your case (which is a very good case) then take the side cover off and sit a small desk fan next to it and point it at the graphics cards.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 02/22/2012 05:08 AM   
Scroll To Top