The sad truth about SLI (and Crossfire for that matter)
  1 / 2    
I have been using SLI for many years now, but with the years my need for SLI has changed drastically. A few years ago most games ran fine with just one card, and SLI was just a luxury to enjoy, but in newer games I have come to depend much on SLI. The problem with SLI is that you constantly need new profiles or drivers to enable SLI. Many people just playing the most popular games will be fine with this, but persons playing a lot of not-so-popular games often find that SLI profiles simply do not seem to arrive for such games. I just checked my own small game library, and there is currently no SLI love for Sonic Generations, Puzzle Dimensions, Rochard, Renegade Ops (an awesome game by SEGA), Rage (a SLI profile exist, but it does not work) and many other games can be found in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=182679&st=0

The Witcher still does not work correctly - due to lights shining through walls in SLI (this can be corrected, but causes much lower SLI performance).

The problem is not nesessarily that SLI support is lacking in many games, but that you often have to wait a long time for SLI support. Currently I bought Alan Wake - and again I forgot that I of course could not play that game without SLI (using the FEAR2 profile caused artifacts). The same thing happened with Need for Speed the Run. And Rage still lies in my drawer - simply too slow without SLI. So main problems with SLI:

1) Not all games are supported - with only one card you do not have this problem
2) Micro-stuttering in SLI - with only one card you do not have this problem
3) Some games do not work correctly in SLI (The Witcher, Rage etc.)
4) While one card owners are playing new big game releases from day 1, you just sit there and wait for your SLI profile

Sometimes I read that Nvidia blamed game developers for SLI problems (The *cough* Witcher) - again, SLI support should not be anything for game developers to worry about - SLI support should be provided fully be Nvidia. So I do not think Id Software is to blame for Rage not supporting SLI - Nvidia should take that one on their large shoulders. Just like in the old Voodoo2 days, where 3dfx took care of SLI support (I still have these cards running in my old vintage Win98 PC :-)

This post is not especially an attack on SLI (or Crossfire for that matter), which is a great solution when it is working. This is just my 5 cents of advise if someone should ask: "Should I go for a second card (SLI/Crossfire) or should I pay more and get a really fast single card solution (with only one GPU)?"

And after all these years, I'd go for the latter solution. Not even thinking twice.
I have been using SLI for many years now, but with the years my need for SLI has changed drastically. A few years ago most games ran fine with just one card, and SLI was just a luxury to enjoy, but in newer games I have come to depend much on SLI. The problem with SLI is that you constantly need new profiles or drivers to enable SLI. Many people just playing the most popular games will be fine with this, but persons playing a lot of not-so-popular games often find that SLI profiles simply do not seem to arrive for such games. I just checked my own small game library, and there is currently no SLI love for Sonic Generations, Puzzle Dimensions, Rochard, Renegade Ops (an awesome game by SEGA), Rage (a SLI profile exist, but it does not work) and many other games can be found in this thread:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=182679&st=0

The Witcher still does not work correctly - due to lights shining through walls in SLI (this can be corrected, but causes much lower SLI performance).

The problem is not nesessarily that SLI support is lacking in many games, but that you often have to wait a long time for SLI support. Currently I bought Alan Wake - and again I forgot that I of course could not play that game without SLI (using the FEAR2 profile caused artifacts). The same thing happened with Need for Speed the Run. And Rage still lies in my drawer - simply too slow without SLI. So main problems with SLI:

1) Not all games are supported - with only one card you do not have this problem

2) Micro-stuttering in SLI - with only one card you do not have this problem

3) Some games do not work correctly in SLI (The Witcher, Rage etc.)

4) While one card owners are playing new big game releases from day 1, you just sit there and wait for your SLI profile

Sometimes I read that Nvidia blamed game developers for SLI problems (The *cough* Witcher) - again, SLI support should not be anything for game developers to worry about - SLI support should be provided fully be Nvidia. So I do not think Id Software is to blame for Rage not supporting SLI - Nvidia should take that one on their large shoulders. Just like in the old Voodoo2 days, where 3dfx took care of SLI support (I still have these cards running in my old vintage Win98 PC :-)

This post is not especially an attack on SLI (or Crossfire for that matter), which is a great solution when it is working. This is just my 5 cents of advise if someone should ask: "Should I go for a second card (SLI/Crossfire) or should I pay more and get a really fast single card solution (with only one GPU)?"

And after all these years, I'd go for the latter solution. Not even thinking twice.

Posted 02/20/2012 01:19 PM   
Although I agree with this broadly, I do not find the situation is nearly as bad as you suggest.

I find most games work fine in SLI. There are some older ones that don't, but they run fast enough on one card that I don't need SLI, so I just turn it off for them.

It is true that some games do not work well in SLI when they are released. This is annoying. We have just received a SLI profile for Red Faction : Armageddon, for example. This game ran like cr*p in SLI, but it's taken 8 MONTHS to get a SLI profile for it. I finished that game ages ago and can't even be bothered to reinstall it to see if it actually works.

But this is not that common and I don't believe it's entirely nVidia's job to do something about it. If the game engine is not coded to support SLI when released, there's nothing nVidia can do about that. What they could do is work with the Developers while they are writing the code to make sure it does support SLI.

The problem is that nVidia will want to charge the Developers for this and many will not want to pay. That's where it all goes wrong. SLI is nVidia's technology and, if they want Developers to support it, they should be the ones to fund it. But, statistically, we SLI users are in a massive minority. We are not big business. The most popular GPUs out there are still the 9800 and the Radeon 5770 and only 15% of gamers have a CPU that runs above 3GHz (and so might actually be able to support SLI).

For what it's worth, I had no problems with Rage. It ran great on my rig. I was even looking for ways to hack it to run even higher quality because I had framerate to spare. Then I found it was already running at its highest settings.
Although I agree with this broadly, I do not find the situation is nearly as bad as you suggest.

I find most games work fine in SLI. There are some older ones that don't, but they run fast enough on one card that I don't need SLI, so I just turn it off for them.

It is true that some games do not work well in SLI when they are released. This is annoying. We have just received a SLI profile for Red Faction : Armageddon, for example. This game ran like cr*p in SLI, but it's taken 8 MONTHS to get a SLI profile for it. I finished that game ages ago and can't even be bothered to reinstall it to see if it actually works.

But this is not that common and I don't believe it's entirely nVidia's job to do something about it. If the game engine is not coded to support SLI when released, there's nothing nVidia can do about that. What they could do is work with the Developers while they are writing the code to make sure it does support SLI.

The problem is that nVidia will want to charge the Developers for this and many will not want to pay. That's where it all goes wrong. SLI is nVidia's technology and, if they want Developers to support it, they should be the ones to fund it. But, statistically, we SLI users are in a massive minority. We are not big business. The most popular GPUs out there are still the 9800 and the Radeon 5770 and only 15% of gamers have a CPU that runs above 3GHz (and so might actually be able to support SLI).

For what it's worth, I had no problems with Rage. It ran great on my rig. I was even looking for ways to hack it to run even higher quality because I had framerate to spare. Then I found it was already running at its highest settings.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/20/2012 02:25 PM   
This is my first post on Nvidia, I also have something to say about my SLI comment.

I always looking for the best and latest technology to entertain myself, as PS3 and xbox360 already more 5 years old; although they provide a more convenice way to enjoy the 3d gaming and 3d movie experience. However, the low fps and low resolution of 3D gaming can't satisfied me, therefore I upgrade my rig to Asus VG278H + GTX590 in order to enjoy the full HD gaming experience. This is the first time I use SLI and 3D vision technology, it's quite annoying that I need to wait for a new profile which match the new games every time. I used super stable Whql 285.62 for few months and got rock solid performance in most of the games like Bf3, batman arkham city, batman arkham asylum, trine2....etc.

Recently, I got several new games like: Alan wake, darkness ii, need for speed run, rage...and I need the new profile for these game to support both SLI and 3D vision. So, I upgraded to the beta 295.51 driver. Although, I'm very lucky only suffering from the memory leak major problem of 295.51 only; no TDR nor Bsod error. But until now, Alan wake still don't have the SLI support , darkness ii got serious ghosting/shadow problem in 3D vision(I'm sure Nvidia mention that it's 3D vision ready title before I preorder my copy, but it suddenly disappear after the game released.....), NFS problem at 30fps cap+single gpu only,Rage also single gpu only + texture pop problem and BF3 shatter problem in 3D vision. Please understand the performance of rage on single gpu mode gtx590 are much worst than my old MSI GTX580 lightning extreme 3GB edition..........

All I want is only the 3D vision and SLI only, why Nvidia won't let us to update both SLI & 3D vision profile only and rather than force us to update the whole new faulty driver. Suppose we should enjoy the new game at the same time with all single GPU user. But seems it's a punishement to SLI & 3D vision user, seems I pay a luxury price to get a problem for myself. I can really enjoy the games which Nvidia provided the suitable profile to support SLI and 3D vision, once installed the game I'll not hesitate to max out all the setting out and jump into the fantastic gaming experience. I understand development a stable driver is very complicated and not a easy job, but why Nvidia set something good and it will turn back when they release a new driver which suppose to be better than the exist or old one? I always stay with Nvidia and don't even give AMD a shot, I just hope Nvidia could think and consider in customers/users point of view.

Best regards,
Raymond
This is my first post on Nvidia, I also have something to say about my SLI comment.

I always looking for the best and latest technology to entertain myself, as PS3 and xbox360 already more 5 years old; although they provide a more convenice way to enjoy the 3d gaming and 3d movie experience. However, the low fps and low resolution of 3D gaming can't satisfied me, therefore I upgrade my rig to Asus VG278H + GTX590 in order to enjoy the full HD gaming experience. This is the first time I use SLI and 3D vision technology, it's quite annoying that I need to wait for a new profile which match the new games every time. I used super stable Whql 285.62 for few months and got rock solid performance in most of the games like Bf3, batman arkham city, batman arkham asylum, trine2....etc.

Recently, I got several new games like: Alan wake, darkness ii, need for speed run, rage...and I need the new profile for these game to support both SLI and 3D vision. So, I upgraded to the beta 295.51 driver. Although, I'm very lucky only suffering from the memory leak major problem of 295.51 only; no TDR nor Bsod error. But until now, Alan wake still don't have the SLI support , darkness ii got serious ghosting/shadow problem in 3D vision(I'm sure Nvidia mention that it's 3D vision ready title before I preorder my copy, but it suddenly disappear after the game released.....), NFS problem at 30fps cap+single gpu only,Rage also single gpu only + texture pop problem and BF3 shatter problem in 3D vision. Please understand the performance of rage on single gpu mode gtx590 are much worst than my old MSI GTX580 lightning extreme 3GB edition..........

All I want is only the 3D vision and SLI only, why Nvidia won't let us to update both SLI & 3D vision profile only and rather than force us to update the whole new faulty driver. Suppose we should enjoy the new game at the same time with all single GPU user. But seems it's a punishement to SLI & 3D vision user, seems I pay a luxury price to get a problem for myself. I can really enjoy the games which Nvidia provided the suitable profile to support SLI and 3D vision, once installed the game I'll not hesitate to max out all the setting out and jump into the fantastic gaming experience. I understand development a stable driver is very complicated and not a easy job, but why Nvidia set something good and it will turn back when they release a new driver which suppose to be better than the exist or old one? I always stay with Nvidia and don't even give AMD a shot, I just hope Nvidia could think and consider in customers/users point of view.

Best regards,

Raymond

Lancool full tower case

ASUS Rampage III Gene X58

Intel i7 950 4 core @ 3.07ghz

6 gigs Kingston DDR3-2000 ram. 2x3 gig sticks

Galaxy GTX 690 in @ stock speed

4 Seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm hard drives

Asus 16x DVD+-RWreader/writers

onboard SB Xi-FX 5.1 audio

Asus VG278H 27" 3D vision2 monitor + 3D vision2 glass

Antec 1200W silver PSU

Creative 5.1 speakers

Turble beach Z6 true 5.1 headphone with build in mic

Microsoft Sidewinder 2.4hz mouse

Microsoft XBox wireless game controller

Windows7 64bit professional

Firefox 10.0.1

Posted 02/20/2012 03:51 PM   
Again, the problem is that 3D Vision is a niche market. It's expensive as you need powerful card(s) and 120Hz monitors, plus the 3D Vision kit.

So it's like SLI. nVidia produce these things as they make them look good, but hardly anyone uses them.

A GTX590 may cost nearly 4 times what a 560Ti does, but they are selling a lot more than four 560s for every 590 they sell. The 590 was only built to claim the 'Fastest card on Earth' title.

We think we are the business with our high-end rigs, but we're not. We make almost no money for nVidia compared to the 'average' customer because there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of them for every one of us. They are not going to spend huge amounts of money supporting a tiny minority of their customers.
Again, the problem is that 3D Vision is a niche market. It's expensive as you need powerful card(s) and 120Hz monitors, plus the 3D Vision kit.

So it's like SLI. nVidia produce these things as they make them look good, but hardly anyone uses them.

A GTX590 may cost nearly 4 times what a 560Ti does, but they are selling a lot more than four 560s for every 590 they sell. The 590 was only built to claim the 'Fastest card on Earth' title.

We think we are the business with our high-end rigs, but we're not. We make almost no money for nVidia compared to the 'average' customer because there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of them for every one of us. They are not going to spend huge amounts of money supporting a tiny minority of their customers.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/20/2012 04:55 PM   
I fully agree - Valve has made several surveys indicating that SLI and Crossfire users amount to 1-2% of all users, and although Valve may have had problems detecting Crossfire configurations correctly, I guess a real number of more than 3% multi-gpu users is not likely. So about 97-98% of all "gamers" (I prefer the term "video game enthusiasts" ;-) probably do not use SLI or Crossfire*. My guess is that the number of 3D Vision users is a mere fraction of these multi-GPU numbers...

And in these troubled financial times it would be understandable if Nvidia does not put great effort in satisfying a minority of customers. Maybe it is just me getting older, more "burnt out" and grumpy, but I do think that SLI support was much better about 4-5 years ago. Of course, SLI was still the hot new stuff back then, and I guess for many users SLI and Crossfire are becoming less attractive solutions with the modern power hungry high-end cards - and the need is less pronounced due to the extreme consolitis we are witnessing in current games. So SLI is great for us with older hardware – if I switched to a single 570 or 580, I do not think I would need SLI (I do not use 4MP res or 32xFSAA, and as with many ascetic monks I can live with happily with 4xFSAA and 1920x1080 ... for now) /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

*According to Andrew Cresci (general manager, vertical market solutions, NVIDIA) Nvidia has about 200 million (CUDA) users worldwide, so even if only 1% of these are using SLI, this is still 2 million users (source: http://www.mainconcept.com/?id=419 - the right panel).
I fully agree - Valve has made several surveys indicating that SLI and Crossfire users amount to 1-2% of all users, and although Valve may have had problems detecting Crossfire configurations correctly, I guess a real number of more than 3% multi-gpu users is not likely. So about 97-98% of all "gamers" (I prefer the term "video game enthusiasts" ;-) probably do not use SLI or Crossfire*. My guess is that the number of 3D Vision users is a mere fraction of these multi-GPU numbers...

And in these troubled financial times it would be understandable if Nvidia does not put great effort in satisfying a minority of customers. Maybe it is just me getting older, more "burnt out" and grumpy, but I do think that SLI support was much better about 4-5 years ago. Of course, SLI was still the hot new stuff back then, and I guess for many users SLI and Crossfire are becoming less attractive solutions with the modern power hungry high-end cards - and the need is less pronounced due to the extreme consolitis we are witnessing in current games. So SLI is great for us with older hardware – if I switched to a single 570 or 580, I do not think I would need SLI (I do not use 4MP res or 32xFSAA, and as with many ascetic monks I can live with happily with 4xFSAA and 1920x1080 ... for now) /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

*According to Andrew Cresci (general manager, vertical market solutions, NVIDIA) Nvidia has about 200 million (CUDA) users worldwide, so even if only 1% of these are using SLI, this is still 2 million users (source: http://www.mainconcept.com/?id=419 - the right panel).

Posted 02/20/2012 07:14 PM   
nvidia inspector -> profiles -> Sonic Generations -> SLI bits: 0x02100001
nvidia inspector -> profiles -> Sonic Generations -> SLI bits: 0x02100001

GTX TITAN SLI
GTX 680 PhysX
i7-4930K 4.7 GHz
BenQ W710ST

Posted 02/20/2012 07:45 PM   
[quote name='Kingping' date='20 February 2012 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1329767139' post='1371924']
sonic generations - sli bits: 0x02100001
[/quote]
I guess there really are some angels out there /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> This was utterly amazing, the game runs at a perfect 60 FPS now with vsync, an 8-year-old boy will be in Sonic heaven tomorrow (ok, mostly his father, since the kids are just happy to play and do not mind the framerate, but I do get that twitch around one eye, if the FPS are cut in half due to vsync and lack of SLI :-)

Well, it did make me think - I get no artifacts, Sonic runs perfectly, if this was so easy, why on earth has Nvidia not activated SLI before? Sonic Generations may not be a big game like Skyrim or Mass Effect 3, but if I ask my kids to choose, Sonic Generations is their favorite PC game (hell, they would press the red off button on grandmas respirator, if that stood between them and playing Sonic). And I am probably not the only one with younger kids... Personally I am quite amazed at the quality of Sonic Generations - I consider it one of the best games to be release last year in it's genre - so why Nvidia gave up on SLI support on that game will probably still keep me awake at night ;-) But thanks again, now *cough* who's up for some serious sli bits for RAGE? /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />
[quote name='Kingping' date='20 February 2012 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1329767139' post='1371924']

sonic generations - sli bits: 0x02100001

I guess there really are some angels out there /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> This was utterly amazing, the game runs at a perfect 60 FPS now with vsync, an 8-year-old boy will be in Sonic heaven tomorrow (ok, mostly his father, since the kids are just happy to play and do not mind the framerate, but I do get that twitch around one eye, if the FPS are cut in half due to vsync and lack of SLI :-)

Well, it did make me think - I get no artifacts, Sonic runs perfectly, if this was so easy, why on earth has Nvidia not activated SLI before? Sonic Generations may not be a big game like Skyrim or Mass Effect 3, but if I ask my kids to choose, Sonic Generations is their favorite PC game (hell, they would press the red off button on grandmas respirator, if that stood between them and playing Sonic). And I am probably not the only one with younger kids... Personally I am quite amazed at the quality of Sonic Generations - I consider it one of the best games to be release last year in it's genre - so why Nvidia gave up on SLI support on that game will probably still keep me awake at night ;-) But thanks again, now *cough* who's up for some serious sli bits for RAGE? /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

Posted 02/21/2012 09:20 PM   
[quote name='runesr2' date='21 February 2012 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1329859202' post='1372540']

[/quote]

If you really want SLI to work you should make NVinspector your friend.

And you really have no idea how spoilt SLI support is these days.

Firstly, Manuel G actually pays attention to the forums and reports issues back to the driver team. Massive luxury.

Second, there are advanced editing tools to make your own profiles and experiment with various AFR settings.

Third, there are frequent SLI profile update releases WHICH CAN BE INSTALLED seperate to a whole driver install, despite what another poster has said.

Fourth, more and more we are finding working SLI profiles BEFORE the release of AAA titles (Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Batman)

When I first got into SLI personally, none of that existed.

And now that I am running crossfire....I guess I have to find the equivalent for ATI lol
[quote name='runesr2' date='21 February 2012 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1329859202' post='1372540']

Firstly, Manuel G actually pays attention to the forums and reports issues back to the driver team. Massive luxury.

Second, there are advanced editing tools to make your own profiles and experiment with various AFR settings.

Third, there are frequent SLI profile update releases WHICH CAN BE INSTALLED seperate to a whole driver install, despite what another poster has said.

Fourth, more and more we are finding working SLI profiles BEFORE the release of AAA titles (Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Batman)

And now that I am running crossfire....I guess I have to find the equivalent for ATI lol

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 02/21/2012 09:39 PM   
I've never had a problem with SLI.
The trick is to use 2 powerful cards so if SLI is broken (Alan Wake) it doesn't matter too much.
As was posted above, SLI profiles are released separately so can be updated without updating drivers. As for micro stuttering, I've never noticed it. I enjoy having 2 470s because they just last & last. There are new cards being released this month and I know my 2 470s that I've had since release will carry on working perfectly, playing at max settings for at least another year.
I've never had a problem with SLI.

The trick is to use 2 powerful cards so if SLI is broken (Alan Wake) it doesn't matter too much.

As was posted above, SLI profiles are released separately so can be updated without updating drivers. As for micro stuttering, I've never noticed it. I enjoy having 2 470s because they just last & last. There are new cards being released this month and I know my 2 470s that I've had since release will carry on working perfectly, playing at max settings for at least another year.

Posted 02/23/2012 12:25 AM   
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='21 February 2012 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1329860376' post='1372552']

[/quote]

Thank you for the help - I have used NVInspector several times. My main issue with SLI, and your message does confirm this in the broad perspective, is that SLI is an advanced solution often with missing or limited support. Many PC users do not change drivers every time Nvidia releases new drivers, and many ordinary mortals do not have a clue about NVInspector, AFR settings, manual SLI profile updates etc. Ordinary SLI users (people who just bought a fast PC not knowing the hardware inside - yes, such people do exist :-) should not have to spend time becoming experts in how to manually add SLI support to several game titles - this clearly should be Nvidias job. I find it very annoying that I have to use my limited sparetime getting SLI support in for example Need for Speed the Run or Sonic Generations using NVInspector, when Nvidia could have offered this solution to me months ago. So my perspective is that if SLI support can be added then Nvidia should be the first to do this, letting the customers perform their work is not the level of service I am expecting from the world's leading manufacturer of video cards.
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='21 February 2012 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1329860376' post='1372552']

Thank you for the help - I have used NVInspector several times. My main issue with SLI, and your message does confirm this in the broad perspective, is that SLI is an advanced solution often with missing or limited support. Many PC users do not change drivers every time Nvidia releases new drivers, and many ordinary mortals do not have a clue about NVInspector, AFR settings, manual SLI profile updates etc. Ordinary SLI users (people who just bought a fast PC not knowing the hardware inside - yes, such people do exist :-) should not have to spend time becoming experts in how to manually add SLI support to several game titles - this clearly should be Nvidias job. I find it very annoying that I have to use my limited sparetime getting SLI support in for example Need for Speed the Run or Sonic Generations using NVInspector, when Nvidia could have offered this solution to me months ago. So my perspective is that if SLI support can be added then Nvidia should be the first to do this, letting the customers perform their work is not the level of service I am expecting from the world's leading manufacturer of video cards.

Posted 03/14/2012 10:00 AM   
[quote name='runesr2' date='14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1331719257' post='1382646']
[/quote]

I think you make some good points, but Saijan is also right - considering the (relatively) low percentage of overall users who actually purchase SLI systems, there are now multiple channels of support available and NVIDIA seem take a very pro-active approach to resolving SLI issues. SLI scaling has also improved across the board in the past couple of years, making it a more worthwhile upgrade than in the past.

I think it is also worth pointing out that if no SLI profile exists when a game is released then this doesn't stop you from playing the game, just prevents more than one GPU being utilised. Adding support for SLI in certain games also requires NVIDIA to be aware of the problem in the first place, and sometimes this requires people to raise the issue - with a huge amount of games released on a monthly basis, a vast variety of system configurations to support, and of course a constant stream of bugs to resolve, it is not completely surprising that some games slip through the net.

SLI profiles are not always available at the point of launch but normally follow shortly afterwards. For those situations where support has not been added, you can also request an SLI profile for a particular game [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=182679"]here[/url]. Equally if the problem is driver version specific there will always be an official feedback thread in the [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=213"]GeForce & ION Drivers[/url] section of the forum.

J
[quote name='runesr2' date='14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1331719257' post='1382646']

I think you make some good points, but Saijan is also right - considering the (relatively) low percentage of overall users who actually purchase SLI systems, there are now multiple channels of support available and NVIDIA seem take a very pro-active approach to resolving SLI issues. SLI scaling has also improved across the board in the past couple of years, making it a more worthwhile upgrade than in the past.

I think it is also worth pointing out that if no SLI profile exists when a game is released then this doesn't stop you from playing the game, just prevents more than one GPU being utilised. Adding support for SLI in certain games also requires NVIDIA to be aware of the problem in the first place, and sometimes this requires people to raise the issue - with a huge amount of games released on a monthly basis, a vast variety of system configurations to support, and of course a constant stream of bugs to resolve, it is not completely surprising that some games slip through the net.

SLI profiles are not always available at the point of launch but normally follow shortly afterwards. For those situations where support has not been added, you can also request an SLI profile for a particular game here. Equally if the problem is driver version specific there will always be an official feedback thread in the GeForce & ION Drivers section of the forum.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 03/14/2012 10:58 AM   
SLI is obviously not for Everyone, it is of the Profiles depending on how good or bad a Game work. NVIDIA has greatly improved the Support over the Years and often there is a SLI Profile in the Drivers Months before a Game appear officially, (current Example: Farcry3 or MaxPayne3...) which is highly commendable.
But also NVIDIA is helpless against Application-Specific Issues or you must expect always, that sometimes there can be Problems,it should be always remembered that before purchasing an SLI System.
SLI is obviously not for Everyone, it is of the Profiles depending on how good or bad a Game work. NVIDIA has greatly improved the Support over the Years and often there is a SLI Profile in the Drivers Months before a Game appear officially, (current Example: Farcry3 or MaxPayne3...) which is highly commendable.

But also NVIDIA is helpless against Application-Specific Issues or you must expect always, that sometimes there can be Problems,it should be always remembered that before purchasing an SLI System.

Posted 03/14/2012 11:24 AM   
Lastest SLI results for Geforce GTX 680 - SLI gives you about 62% more performance than using just one card in 1920x1080:

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2641/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-quad-sli-review-english-version-sli-scaling

Well, I could probably set up a game suite where that number was much lower, or higher, but to be fair the included games are quite broad and of course results will depend on individual games.

But it seems I have finally found the one card the fits my upgrade plans, so now we just need Asus to deliver a DirectCUII cooling solution for the 680 /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> And goodbye to SLI /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
Lastest SLI results for Geforce GTX 680 - SLI gives you about 62% more performance than using just one card in 1920x1080:

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2641/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-quad-sli-review-english-version-sli-scaling

Well, I could probably set up a game suite where that number was much lower, or higher, but to be fair the included games are quite broad and of course results will depend on individual games.

But it seems I have finally found the one card the fits my upgrade plans, so now we just need Asus to deliver a DirectCUII cooling solution for the 680 /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' /> And goodbye to SLI /wave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Posted 03/25/2012 04:10 PM   
true but games such as Sonic Generations, which I've played doesn't need SLI to run smoothly.
true but games such as Sonic Generations, which I've played doesn't need SLI to run smoothly.

Posted 04/09/2012 06:26 AM   
I play mainly flight sims and find that most work well in Sli (smooth with no stuttering) but Cliffs of Dover has its problems at the moment. Rise of flight, Il2 Sturmovik 1946 etc work fine with good frame rates and no stutter. I have 2x gts 450's in Sli RoF gives about 60fps, Il2 1946 up to 200fps. Cliffs of Dover over land I have 40--60fps, over water 80--110 depending on the number of A/C involved, but we have these micro stutters when down low and it doesn't relate only to Sli. Single card systems are having the same problem. The developers are working desperately to try and sort it out but a correction in one part seems to be causing problems somewhere else. Definitely try Nvidia inspector, you will need to try and sort out your own profile if there isn't one already. I have found through trial and error a profile that works for me with CoD and have been getting nearly double the frame rates with Sli that I can get with one card.
I play mainly flight sims and find that most work well in Sli (smooth with no stuttering) but Cliffs of Dover has its problems at the moment. Rise of flight, Il2 Sturmovik 1946 etc work fine with good frame rates and no stutter. I have 2x gts 450's in Sli RoF gives about 60fps, Il2 1946 up to 200fps. Cliffs of Dover over land I have 40--60fps, over water 80--110 depending on the number of A/C involved, but we have these micro stutters when down low and it doesn't relate only to Sli. Single card systems are having the same problem. The developers are working desperately to try and sort it out but a correction in one part seems to be causing problems somewhere else. Definitely try Nvidia inspector, you will need to try and sort out your own profile if there isn't one already. I have found through trial and error a profile that works for me with CoD and have been getting nearly double the frame rates with Sli that I can get with one card.

AMD M4N98TD-EVO

AMD Phenom2 965 x 4 3.4gig

8gig DDR3 Ram

2x GTS 450 Sli (1gig each)

1Tb HDD Partitioned x 5

700w Coolermaster single rail P/S 52a

Windows 7 64bit

19" Samsung 931BW monitor

1280 x 960 Resolution

Posted 05/10/2012 08:39 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top