EVGA GTX580 - Recommended temperatures
  1 / 2    
Hello,

I'm a happy owner of 3 EVGA GTX580 cards in 3-Way SLI after I acquired the 3rd one over a week ago.

I'd like to know what are the MAXIMUM temperatures recommended for gaming, as my top two cards get as high as 79-81ºC without vsync in games like Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, and Crysis 2.

Would those be safe? What does Nvidia recommend as maximum temperatures while gaming?

Thanks! :)
Hello,

I'm a happy owner of 3 EVGA GTX580 cards in 3-Way SLI after I acquired the 3rd one over a week ago.

I'd like to know what are the MAXIMUM temperatures recommended for gaming, as my top two cards get as high as 79-81ºC without vsync in games like Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, and Crysis 2.

Would those be safe? What does Nvidia recommend as maximum temperatures while gaming?

ImageImage
EK Supreme HF Plexi + 2x Aquagrafx GTX680 + EK CoolStream XT360 + HWL Black Ice GTS 240 + XSPC Dual Acrylic + D5
FiiO E7 DAC + FiiO E9 AMP + Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO (250 OHM)

Posted 02/19/2012 08:15 PM   
Last time I ran 3-way SLi which was with 580 1.5GB cards, I tried to keep them under 70C full load, which wasn't always possible, but most of the time it worked out well. With how hot you say your top card is getting, I'm wondering, have you tried mounting a fan on the rear of the cards to help push cool air in between them and push the warm up stuck in between them out?

[IMG]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/MynxNess84/GPUButtFan2.jpg[/IMG]

Like so... if you can that is, depends on your case of course. We have the same board though O_o lol dun see too many people with this board round here. Anyways, that fan if you can place one like that will help a good bit.

Also, high flow brackets, if you don't already have them, will drop your temps 3-5C under load. They're well worth the $20 (I found that out by getting them myself, all of my cards had stock brackets at the time of that picture and upgrading... big difference). On the top card you'll probably see a 3-5C drop, middle card the same, and bottom card probably only 3C, but still, it not only helps them run cooler by less air being stuck inside the card longer, it also raises the resale value for when yer looking to upgrade.

Edit: Just noticed you said WITHOUT VSync... that's part of the problem. I recommend running VSync with Triple Buffering forced in NVidia Control Panel. That'll keep your temps down as well... but even in 3DMark11/3DMark Vantage, I never saw over 70C with my fan setup being 1 side intake 1 side exhaust (near the exhaust of the cards) with that extra fan blowing in, and the fans at 100% while gaming/benching. I also ran the cards frequently at 900MHz/1.1V core, which you'd think would mean even more heat, but they still rarely went over 70C at that setting. Wish I still had those Black Ops's, they were great.
Last time I ran 3-way SLi which was with 580 1.5GB cards, I tried to keep them under 70C full load, which wasn't always possible, but most of the time it worked out well. With how hot you say your top card is getting, I'm wondering, have you tried mounting a fan on the rear of the cards to help push cool air in between them and push the warm up stuck in between them out?

Like so... if you can that is, depends on your case of course. We have the same board though O_o lol dun see too many people with this board round here. Anyways, that fan if you can place one like that will help a good bit.

Also, high flow brackets, if you don't already have them, will drop your temps 3-5C under load. They're well worth the $20 (I found that out by getting them myself, all of my cards had stock brackets at the time of that picture and upgrading... big difference). On the top card you'll probably see a 3-5C drop, middle card the same, and bottom card probably only 3C, but still, it not only helps them run cooler by less air being stuck inside the card longer, it also raises the resale value for when yer looking to upgrade.

Edit: Just noticed you said WITHOUT VSync... that's part of the problem. I recommend running VSync with Triple Buffering forced in NVidia Control Panel. That'll keep your temps down as well... but even in 3DMark11/3DMark Vantage, I never saw over 70C with my fan setup being 1 side intake 1 side exhaust (near the exhaust of the cards) with that extra fan blowing in, and the fans at 100% while gaming/benching. I also ran the cards frequently at 900MHz/1.1V core, which you'd think would mean even more heat, but they still rarely went over 70C at that setting. Wish I still had those Black Ops's, they were great.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/19/2012 09:02 PM   
Hello,

Thank you for your tips.

I just wanted to know what's Nvidia's word on highest safe temperature for GTX580's while gaming.

Personally I'm not worried if they hit 80ºC-81ºC as Nvidia's site claims max temperature is 97ºC (Which I'm guessing after that it will throttle to protect it). Just wanted to know what would be the ideal MAX temperature at gaming from Nvidia, 80ºC? 85ºC?

Anyways. I do use an FPS Limiter from MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 BETA 12 and I limit it at 64 for all games including Battlefield 3 and top cards are never above 75ºC.

I can't mount a fan below the cards as there are already 3 big AP-181 fans hitting the cards directly;

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dcDTf.jpg[/img]

Something to mention is I am not running the fan at 100%, that would be incredibly loud. I do make a custom profile and the FAN runs at 70%-75%-80% (XºC = X%) while gaming, so this could be the reason as to why your cards were so cool. :)

Of course if I put the fan at 100% on all three cards I doubt they would hit above 60ºC-65ºC, but that's just crazy. :D

Also I cant' afford the high-flow brackets right now, maybe I will consider them once summer comes if I cant keep temperatures below 80ºC, we'll see. :P

As of now I'm quite happy as when playing limited to 64fps in all games maxed (BF3, Crysis 2..) they sit at 75ºC at max on the top cards, and 80ºC without fps limiter, meaning 99% gpu usage.

Those temperatures look fine to me, just wanted to know what's Nvidia's statement about safe temperatures on the GTX580's.

PS: This motherboard is great, personally after trying ALL 1155 boards cappable of 3 or more cards, the WS Revolution is my favorite for 1155 socket. :)

PS: I PM'd you. :)
Hello,

Thank you for your tips.

I just wanted to know what's Nvidia's word on highest safe temperature for GTX580's while gaming.

Personally I'm not worried if they hit 80ºC-81ºC as Nvidia's site claims max temperature is 97ºC (Which I'm guessing after that it will throttle to protect it). Just wanted to know what would be the ideal MAX temperature at gaming from Nvidia, 80ºC? 85ºC?

Anyways. I do use an FPS Limiter from MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 BETA 12 and I limit it at 64 for all games including Battlefield 3 and top cards are never above 75ºC.

I can't mount a fan below the cards as there are already 3 big AP-181 fans hitting the cards directly;

Something to mention is I am not running the fan at 100%, that would be incredibly loud. I do make a custom profile and the FAN runs at 70%-75%-80% (XºC = X%) while gaming, so this could be the reason as to why your cards were so cool. :)

Of course if I put the fan at 100% on all three cards I doubt they would hit above 60ºC-65ºC, but that's just crazy. :D

Also I cant' afford the high-flow brackets right now, maybe I will consider them once summer comes if I cant keep temperatures below 80ºC, we'll see. :P

As of now I'm quite happy as when playing limited to 64fps in all games maxed (BF3, Crysis 2..) they sit at 75ºC at max on the top cards, and 80ºC without fps limiter, meaning 99% gpu usage.

Those temperatures look fine to me, just wanted to know what's Nvidia's statement about safe temperatures on the GTX580's.

PS: This motherboard is great, personally after trying ALL 1155 boards cappable of 3 or more cards, the WS Revolution is my favorite for 1155 socket. :)

PS: I PM'd you. :)

ImageImage
EK Supreme HF Plexi + 2x Aquagrafx GTX680 + EK CoolStream XT360 + HWL Black Ice GTS 240 + XSPC Dual Acrylic + D5

Posted 02/19/2012 11:32 PM   
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1329682520' post='1371483']
Hello,

[/quote]
the way your cards are stacked your temps are fine.
my 2 580's are that close and i run 72c on the top card maxed out in metro 2033, crysis2, etc.
and have you seen a pic of the highflow brackets? they look just like the brackets allready on my PNY cards and i beleive your EVGA card brackets are the same.
Nvida say's the GTX 580 can reach 97c before it throttles down
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1329682520' post='1371483']

Hello,

my 2 580's are that close and i run 72c on the top card maxed out in metro 2033, crysis2, etc.

and have you seen a pic of the highflow brackets? they look just like the brackets allready on my PNY cards and i beleive your EVGA card brackets are the same.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 02/20/2012 12:14 AM   
[quote name='JLH' date='20 February 2012 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1329696878' post='1371578']
[/quote]

Could you post a picture of the high flow bracket for the GTX580?

I think the top two cards already have it (I think, not sure) but the 3rd one I bought 2 weeks ago does not (But this one is installed on the lowest PCI-e so it's cool enough).

Again I'm not sure, I could be wrong and they could have different brackets, but two top cards have different brackets than the newest one for sure.

The top two are 015-P3-1580-AR and the 3rd card I bought is 015-P3-1580-TR (The sticker looks a bit different).
[quote name='JLH' date='20 February 2012 - 01:14 AM' timestamp='1329696878' post='1371578']

I think the top two cards already have it (I think, not sure) but the 3rd one I bought 2 weeks ago does not (But this one is installed on the lowest PCI-e so it's cool enough).

Again I'm not sure, I could be wrong and they could have different brackets, but two top cards have different brackets than the newest one for sure.

The top two are 015-P3-1580-AR and the 3rd card I bought is 015-P3-1580-TR (The sticker looks a bit different).

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 12:24 AM   
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 04:24 PM' timestamp='1329697452' post='1371579']

[/quote]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/themastershakesignal/5272616002/"]open this link. high flow bracket[/url]
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 04:24 PM' timestamp='1329697452' post='1371579']

open this link. high flow bracket

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 02/20/2012 12:33 AM   
OK so it looks like the top two cards already have it! Awesome, I didn't even know. :D

I don't know about the 3rd one, but it has this bracket;

[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/0nS0V.png[/img][/center]

Either ways I don't need a high-flow bracket for that card as it already stays cool under 70ºC all the time.

So yeah, thanks a lot, I talked to JacobF-EVGA and he said 80ºC-85ºC was completely fine, and I'm at 80ºC at most without vsync in games like Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, and Crysis 2. So I guess I am completely fine for summer since I tend to limit my frame rate to 60fps anyways in those games which means GPU usage is always well below 99%.

Also, I see you need 1050mV for stock settings on your cards, isn't that a bit too high? Personally I found my 3 cards together unstable at stock volts (1000mV) for 772MHz (stock settings) and I had to boost it to 1025mV on MSI Afterburner for games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 to be 100% stable, just waiting on a custom bios from EVGA now which sets me at 1025mV without having to do it through MSI Afterburner. :)
OK so it looks like the top two cards already have it! Awesome, I didn't even know. :D

I don't know about the 3rd one, but it has this bracket;

Either ways I don't need a high-flow bracket for that card as it already stays cool under 70ºC all the time.

So yeah, thanks a lot, I talked to JacobF-EVGA and he said 80ºC-85ºC was completely fine, and I'm at 80ºC at most without vsync in games like Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, and Crysis 2. So I guess I am completely fine for summer since I tend to limit my frame rate to 60fps anyways in those games which means GPU usage is always well below 99%.

Also, I see you need 1050mV for stock settings on your cards, isn't that a bit too high? Personally I found my 3 cards together unstable at stock volts (1000mV) for 772MHz (stock settings) and I had to boost it to 1025mV on MSI Afterburner for games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 to be 100% stable, just waiting on a custom bios from EVGA now which sets me at 1025mV without having to do it through MSI Afterburner. :)

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 12:41 AM   
that is the voltage PNY has put the cards at when i installed them.
I run my cards at and my entire system at stock speeds though i have seen other brand of 580's with lower volts then mine set by the manufacturer.
i guess PNY thinks it's o.k. and i don't have any issue's.
should the voltage be lower for sli?
that is the voltage PNY has put the cards at when i installed them.

I run my cards at and my entire system at stock speeds though i have seen other brand of 580's with lower volts then mine set by the manufacturer.

i guess PNY thinks it's o.k. and i don't have any issue's.

should the voltage be lower for sli?

Posted 02/20/2012 12:57 AM   
Well I'm sure you could be stable with lower voltage such as 1025mV, unless PNY manually tests each card and sets the voltage, which I doubt.

Then again 1050mV is completely safe (Until 1150mV I consider it completely safe for 24/7 as long as temps are below 80ºC-85ºC) so I'd leave it as it is. :)

Anyways, it's 2AM here and I must go to sleep. :P
Well I'm sure you could be stable with lower voltage such as 1025mV, unless PNY manually tests each card and sets the voltage, which I doubt.

Then again 1050mV is completely safe (Until 1150mV I consider it completely safe for 24/7 as long as temps are below 80ºC-85ºC) so I'd leave it as it is. :)

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 01:13 AM   
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1329700406' post='1371598']

[/quote]
/w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />
[quote name='kcuestag' date='19 February 2012 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1329700406' post='1371598']

/w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

Posted 02/20/2012 01:26 AM   
The thing isn't what's safe, the thing should be what will prolong your card's life. It's my understand, and the general consensus with veteran members around here, that most GPUs should be kept under 70C to avoid eventual death from prolonged exposure to excessive heat on the PCB itself, at least that's what I think.

Also, yeah 100% is a bit loud, but it's actually quieter than normal with the High Flow Brackets. If your top two cards already have them, you should be good to go. Have you tried cranking the fans to 85% when gaming? I found that 85% was tolerable, especially if yer gaming with headphones.

With my case setup & airflow, in Surround, which is very stressful (I have nearly constant 85+% GPU load in BF3) I've only seen them hit 60C a few times, but right now I'm only running 2-Way SLi. 60C is the point at which Afterburner cranks my fans to max.

I'll post back once I have a third card installed and give you new temp readings to confirm what I remember from last time I had 3-Way. I'm pretty sure 85% should be tolerable & provide better cooling though.

I can't wait til I get 2 LCed Keplers X_x Quietness is underrated. Not that I mind the noise with headphones on. lol

And I'll add you on those, thanks!
The thing isn't what's safe, the thing should be what will prolong your card's life. It's my understand, and the general consensus with veteran members around here, that most GPUs should be kept under 70C to avoid eventual death from prolonged exposure to excessive heat on the PCB itself, at least that's what I think.

Also, yeah 100% is a bit loud, but it's actually quieter than normal with the High Flow Brackets. If your top two cards already have them, you should be good to go. Have you tried cranking the fans to 85% when gaming? I found that 85% was tolerable, especially if yer gaming with headphones.

With my case setup & airflow, in Surround, which is very stressful (I have nearly constant 85+% GPU load in BF3) I've only seen them hit 60C a few times, but right now I'm only running 2-Way SLi. 60C is the point at which Afterburner cranks my fans to max.

I'll post back once I have a third card installed and give you new temp readings to confirm what I remember from last time I had 3-Way. I'm pretty sure 85% should be tolerable & provide better cooling though.

I can't wait til I get 2 LCed Keplers X_x Quietness is underrated. Not that I mind the noise with headphones on. lol

And I'll add you on those, thanks!

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/20/2012 07:58 AM   
Whats the point of limiting your fps when you got 3x580's doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of getting the extra cards when you can get those fps with just the one card?
I can understand you want to keep the temps down but from a performance standpoint it seems your limiting the cards my 2 590's max temps are like 75-82 degrees depending on ambient room temps but that doesnt worry me at all seeing those temps.
Whats the point of limiting your fps when you got 3x580's doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of getting the extra cards when you can get those fps with just the one card?

I can understand you want to keep the temps down but from a performance standpoint it seems your limiting the cards my 2 590's max temps are like 75-82 degrees depending on ambient room temps but that doesnt worry me at all seeing those temps.

[i][/i]Intel Core i7 2600K oc to 4.6 @ 1.29v

ASUS Maximus V GENE-Z

16GB G-SKILL Ripjaws 1866mhz oc to 2133 @ 9-11-10-28 @1.65v

2xMSI GTX680 2GB in SLI

Thermaltake Level 10 GT case

Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD

2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint f3's

Windows 7 Ultimate

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

ENERMAX MAXREVO Series EMR1350EWT 1350W

Corsair H100

Posted 02/20/2012 11:38 AM   
[quote name='Skull999' date='20 February 2012 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1329737898' post='1371740']
[/quote]

The main point of limiting it to 64fps is to keep a stable 64fps all the time instead of having it fluctuate between +64 and 200 all the time. By limiting you can also reduce the temperatures a good 5ºC in my case, and no, a single GTX580 won't give me constant 64fps at Battlefield 3 at 2560x1440 Ultra + HBAO, not even 2x GTX580's at that resolution, that's why I got the 3rd one. :P

Limiting the frame rate can be very helpful to reduce noise as well, the lower the temperature, the lower the speed of the GPU fans, meaning less noise.
[quote name='Skull999' date='20 February 2012 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1329737898' post='1371740']

The main point of limiting it to 64fps is to keep a stable 64fps all the time instead of having it fluctuate between +64 and 200 all the time. By limiting you can also reduce the temperatures a good 5ºC in my case, and no, a single GTX580 won't give me constant 64fps at Battlefield 3 at 2560x1440 Ultra + HBAO, not even 2x GTX580's at that resolution, that's why I got the 3rd one. :P

Limiting the frame rate can be very helpful to reduce noise as well, the lower the temperature, the lower the speed of the GPU fans, meaning less noise.

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 01:01 PM   
This is my high flow bracket. I think it's still a tad too big. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222091&view=findpost&p=1367886

Unfortunately, the standard bracket blocks too much exhaust and is loud at high fan speed.

The vapor chamber on the GTX 580 is actually very very good.
With excellent case airflow, good thermal compound, and unrestricted exhaust (very high flow bracket), gpu temps can rival some aftermarket air coolers.

I recently put Arctic mx-4 on my GTX 580 - 2C temp decrease.
Yesterday, I cut out the metal case grill in front of my lower instake fan - 1C temp decrease.
All these little air flow mods add up and turn the stock cooler into a surprisingly, very good cooler.

In this Zalman VF3000F review, a stock GTX 580 at 85% fan ran cooler than the Zalman VF3000F at high speed.
http://techgage.com/article/zalman_vf3000f_gtx_570580_gpu_cooler_review/3
This is my high flow bracket. I think it's still a tad too big. /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=222091&view=findpost&p=1367886

Unfortunately, the standard bracket blocks too much exhaust and is loud at high fan speed.

The vapor chamber on the GTX 580 is actually very very good.

With excellent case airflow, good thermal compound, and unrestricted exhaust (very high flow bracket), gpu temps can rival some aftermarket air coolers.

I recently put Arctic mx-4 on my GTX 580 - 2C temp decrease.

Yesterday, I cut out the metal case grill in front of my lower instake fan - 1C temp decrease.

All these little air flow mods add up and turn the stock cooler into a surprisingly, very good cooler.

In this Zalman VF3000F review, a stock GTX 580 at 85% fan ran cooler than the Zalman VF3000F at high speed.

http://techgage.com/article/zalman_vf3000f_gtx_570580_gpu_cooler_review/3

[Acer GD245HQ - 1920x1080 120Hz] [Nvidia 3D Vision]
[Asus P7H55 - core i3 530 @4.15GHz ~1.39V and Zalman CNPS5X] [Transcend 2x2GB DDR3]
[Palit GTX 260 @ 695MHz (580 died)] [Intel SSD 330 - 240GB]
[Creative Titanium HD + Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm) headphones] [Windows 7 64bit]

Posted 02/20/2012 01:33 PM   
My GTX 580's are running with unlocked fan profiles ( up to 100% automatically when needed) and my temps never go over 90C. Average 85 in battlefield 3 Ultra settings.
My GTX 580's are running with unlocked fan profiles ( up to 100% automatically when needed) and my temps never go over 90C. Average 85 in battlefield 3 Ultra settings.

Posted 02/20/2012 06:14 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top