Battlefield 3 + 3-Way SLi + Surround - Anyone running it? Need opinions.
  1 / 2    
I'll make this short & to the point:

I'm running Surround. 3x1080p. I didn't like how laggy it ran on my 560 Ti 448 Cores Classifieds in SLi, so I got 2 580s offa EBay. They run it better, but I still can't play with Ultra settings or 4xAA (running 2xAA now) and I'm wondering if a 3rd card would fix this... so my question is, after seeing people having issues in searches, with 3-Way/Surround/BF3 as a combination, does anyone have Surround & 3-Way SLi & BF3 and can confirm or deny it working, and/or how well it works?

I'm not looking to run ALL Ultra settings, I'm more of looking to be able to run the game at a more solid FPS rate, with mostly High/Ultra settings and 4xAA... I know that'll bring me close to my 1.5GB vRAM limit, I can work around that by turning stuff down...

Anyone got it? If so can you post up a quick screen with Afterburner readout from somewhere like Caspian Border (as that map is the laggiest map in all of BF3 in terms of FPS dips)? Right now I'm running High on almost everything but Terrain Decoration, with 2xAA & the 580s at stock, and I get as low as 45FPS on Caspian Border when at the C Flag in the Forest. Keep in mind, that's at 3x1080p (5760x1080 I believe is the full resolution)

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts some results!
I'll make this short & to the point:

I'm running Surround. 3x1080p. I didn't like how laggy it ran on my 560 Ti 448 Cores Classifieds in SLi, so I got 2 580s offa EBay. They run it better, but I still can't play with Ultra settings or 4xAA (running 2xAA now) and I'm wondering if a 3rd card would fix this... so my question is, after seeing people having issues in searches, with 3-Way/Surround/BF3 as a combination, does anyone have Surround & 3-Way SLi & BF3 and can confirm or deny it working, and/or how well it works?

I'm not looking to run ALL Ultra settings, I'm more of looking to be able to run the game at a more solid FPS rate, with mostly High/Ultra settings and 4xAA... I know that'll bring me close to my 1.5GB vRAM limit, I can work around that by turning stuff down...

Anyone got it? If so can you post up a quick screen with Afterburner readout from somewhere like Caspian Border (as that map is the laggiest map in all of BF3 in terms of FPS dips)? Right now I'm running High on almost everything but Terrain Decoration, with 2xAA & the 580s at stock, and I get as low as 45FPS on Caspian Border when at the C Flag in the Forest. Keep in mind, that's at 3x1080p (5760x1080 I believe is the full resolution)

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts some results!

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/18/2012 06:31 PM   
You're not going to run at MSAAx4 or even MSAAx2 and keep a stable frame rate with 1.5GB of Vram, simple as that.

If you want to do that, move into the 3GB versions, but that won't happen with 1.5GB even with a 3rd card.

It's not like you need MSAA at that resolution anyways, if I were you I'd set the game this way;

Textures High + Everything else Ultra + AA Post HIGH + AA Deferred OFF + Motion Blur OFF + AF 16X + Ambient Occlussion HBAO.

That way, with a 3rd card, I'm sure you'd be at +60fps all the time, that's how I play it at 2560x1440 (Which is not too far from 3 1080p monitors when it comes to gpu demmand) and I easily achieve above 60fps all the time.
You're not going to run at MSAAx4 or even MSAAx2 and keep a stable frame rate with 1.5GB of Vram, simple as that.

If you want to do that, move into the 3GB versions, but that won't happen with 1.5GB even with a 3rd card.

It's not like you need MSAA at that resolution anyways, if I were you I'd set the game this way;

Textures High + Everything else Ultra + AA Post HIGH + AA Deferred OFF + Motion Blur OFF + AF 16X + Ambient Occlussion HBAO.

That way, with a 3rd card, I'm sure you'd be at +60fps all the time, that's how I play it at 2560x1440 (Which is not too far from 3 1080p monitors when it comes to gpu demmand) and I easily achieve above 60fps all the time.

ImageImage
EK Supreme HF Plexi + 2x Aquagrafx GTX680 + EK CoolStream XT360 + HWL Black Ice GTS 240 + XSPC Dual Acrylic + D5
FiiO E7 DAC + FiiO E9 AMP + Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO (250 OHM)

Posted 02/19/2012 02:10 AM   
[quote name='kcuestag' date='18 February 2012 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1329617433' post='1371205']

[/quote]

As I said, I'm runnin' 2xAA already, and the vRAM is no where near full, so that's not a concern. I'm willing to sacrifice some other vRAM-filling settings to run 4xAA, the question is will a 3rd card make it more managable. I'm already aware 2-Way SLi can run Ultra with 2xAA and maintain 35+ FPS rates on Caspian, which is perfectly playable, I just prefer 60FPS stable for reasons I'm not gonna go into.

I'll haveta screenshot my settings when I get home. They're kinda odd, but they look good... oh and turning on Ambient Occlusion is a vRAM sucker somethin' fierce, and it helps people hide in shadows better, so I leave it off.

And that's not even the point. I want to know if 3-Way SLi works correctly with Surround & Battlefield 3, or if it causes stuttering or uneven GPU load, which would result in stuttering without it showing up in frame rate necessarily.
[quote name='kcuestag' date='18 February 2012 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1329617433' post='1371205']

As I said, I'm runnin' 2xAA already, and the vRAM is no where near full, so that's not a concern. I'm willing to sacrifice some other vRAM-filling settings to run 4xAA, the question is will a 3rd card make it more managable. I'm already aware 2-Way SLi can run Ultra with 2xAA and maintain 35+ FPS rates on Caspian, which is perfectly playable, I just prefer 60FPS stable for reasons I'm not gonna go into.

I'll haveta screenshot my settings when I get home. They're kinda odd, but they look good... oh and turning on Ambient Occlusion is a vRAM sucker somethin' fierce, and it helps people hide in shadows better, so I leave it off.

And that's not even the point. I want to know if 3-Way SLi works correctly with Surround & Battlefield 3, or if it causes stuttering or uneven GPU load, which would result in stuttering without it showing up in frame rate necessarily.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/19/2012 07:28 AM   
Not sure about Surround, as I play on single monitor at 2560x1440, but I can tell you that 3-Way SLI works quite well to me, I use 285.62 WHQL drivers (Until next WHQL are out) and the three cards run everything perfectly including newest games.
Not sure about Surround, as I play on single monitor at 2560x1440, but I can tell you that 3-Way SLI works quite well to me, I use 285.62 WHQL drivers (Until next WHQL are out) and the three cards run everything perfectly including newest games.

ImageImage
EK Supreme HF Plexi + 2x Aquagrafx GTX680 + EK CoolStream XT360 + HWL Black Ice GTS 240 + XSPC Dual Acrylic + D5

Posted 02/19/2012 11:37 AM   
Kk, I found the answer to at least how it works in general, 3-Way + Surround that is... and it should do well in BF3 as a result.

With 3-Way SLi, and Surround, one monitor plugs in to each card, assumably so in effect, one card handles each screen... that should allow me to run higher settings and maintain a more even, lower GPU load than now, when 2 GPUs trying to share the load of 3 screens... so, I'm gonna be scowering EBay again for a 3rd cheap 580 1.5GB. I'll post back here & let you all know how well it runs whenever I get ahold of one!
Kk, I found the answer to at least how it works in general, 3-Way + Surround that is... and it should do well in BF3 as a result.

With 3-Way SLi, and Surround, one monitor plugs in to each card, assumably so in effect, one card handles each screen... that should allow me to run higher settings and maintain a more even, lower GPU load than now, when 2 GPUs trying to share the load of 3 screens... so, I'm gonna be scowering EBay again for a 3rd cheap 580 1.5GB. I'll post back here & let you all know how well it runs whenever I get ahold of one!

Posted 02/19/2012 08:01 PM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='19 February 2012 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1329681712' post='1371475']

[/quote]

Enjoy it, I use it for 2560x1440 and I couldn't be happier with my 3-Way SLI.

I'd suggest you to use the following settings;

[img]http://i.imgur.com/DTfpQ.png[/img]

You should have no issues running it like that. :D

Ultra textures are useless as they look the same as High literally and only thing it does is hurt your vram and texture pool size affecting the CPU, that's why I leave it at High, it looks the SAME.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='19 February 2012 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1329681712' post='1371475']

Enjoy it, I use it for 2560x1440 and I couldn't be happier with my 3-Way SLI.

I'd suggest you to use the following settings;

You should have no issues running it like that. :D

Ultra textures are useless as they look the same as High literally and only thing it does is hurt your vram and texture pool size affecting the CPU, that's why I leave it at High, it looks the SAME.

ImageImage

Posted 02/19/2012 08:05 PM   
Won't be my first time running 3-Way SLi, I've ran it with 580s, 285s, 260s and such... I liked it last time, wasn't my choice to get rid of it, was a financial icky situation that had to be resolved via me selling some stuff.

And I won't be playing with anything on Ultra either way, as that resolution and those settings just don't play well together vRAM wise. Also, turning Terrain Decoration on anything but Low actually helps people hide from you easier, so I leave that on Low now.

I think right now I'm running a combination of Medium with a few things on High, Decor on Low, & AA off with Post on High, and I'm getting almost solid 60FPS even on Caspian now that I turned AA off... I figure adding the 3rd card should allow me to at least turn 2xAA back on and still get better FPS.... I just couldn't handle Caspian dipping in to the 30s anymore in combat with 2xAA on. Even just flying around in the Viper, I was getting 40s at times on that map and Kharg.
Won't be my first time running 3-Way SLi, I've ran it with 580s, 285s, 260s and such... I liked it last time, wasn't my choice to get rid of it, was a financial icky situation that had to be resolved via me selling some stuff.

And I won't be playing with anything on Ultra either way, as that resolution and those settings just don't play well together vRAM wise. Also, turning Terrain Decoration on anything but Low actually helps people hide from you easier, so I leave that on Low now.

I think right now I'm running a combination of Medium with a few things on High, Decor on Low, & AA off with Post on High, and I'm getting almost solid 60FPS even on Caspian now that I turned AA off... I figure adding the 3rd card should allow me to at least turn 2xAA back on and still get better FPS.... I just couldn't handle Caspian dipping in to the 30s anymore in combat with 2xAA on. Even just flying around in the Viper, I was getting 40s at times on that map and Kharg.

Posted 02/19/2012 08:20 PM   
BF3 should do well with 3-way SLI Badger, even in surround. With vsync enabled, BF3 should automatically enable triple buffering, which maps really well to 3-way SLI configurations.
BF3 should do well with 3-way SLI Badger, even in surround. With vsync enabled, BF3 should automatically enable triple buffering, which maps really well to 3-way SLI configurations.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/19/2012 09:17 PM   
Well if I understand correctly, in 3-Way with the monitors plugged in correctly, each GPU renders one screen or somesuch... which means it should run similar to how BF3 runs on a single screen at 1080p with a 580... so in theory at least, I should be able to run great settings with 4xAA, but we'll see. I'm gonna grab a third off EBay in the next few days & try it out though... I'm working a deal for 2 New Zotac 580s that're in mint condition etc. for around $725, and they're the AMP! edition... dunno if I wanna spend that much though. 'specially when I already have 2 and thereby don't need 2 more X_x.

lol Anyone want a 580 or 2 560 Ti 448 Core Classifieds?
Well if I understand correctly, in 3-Way with the monitors plugged in correctly, each GPU renders one screen or somesuch... which means it should run similar to how BF3 runs on a single screen at 1080p with a 580... so in theory at least, I should be able to run great settings with 4xAA, but we'll see. I'm gonna grab a third off EBay in the next few days & try it out though... I'm working a deal for 2 New Zotac 580s that're in mint condition etc. for around $725, and they're the AMP! edition... dunno if I wanna spend that much though. 'specially when I already have 2 and thereby don't need 2 more X_x.

lol Anyone want a 580 or 2 560 Ti 448 Core Classifieds?

Posted 02/20/2012 07:49 AM   
Personally I'm sure you'd run out of vram and encounter issues if you use MSAA + HBAO.

Maybe with MSAAx2 + HBAO you could be fine, but ideally at that resolution I'd turn MSAA OFF (To keep HBAO) and run AA Post HIGH instead.
Personally I'm sure you'd run out of vram and encounter issues if you use MSAA + HBAO.

Maybe with MSAAx2 + HBAO you could be fine, but ideally at that resolution I'd turn MSAA OFF (To keep HBAO) and run AA Post HIGH instead.

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 11:00 AM   
I have no intention of running any sort of Ambient Occlusion, it just makes it easier for people to hide in shadows... lol

Right now I'm running a mix of High/Low, and I'm getting 60FPS almost constantly at 3x1080p with no AA. I think adding the third card to further load balance will allow me to put 2xAA on... because right now if I do it, I get nearly constant 99% GPU usage on Caspian Border, but if I go to less foresty parts of the map, it goes down in to the 80s, so I think adding an extra GPU would solve the issue via giving me more power so to speak.

I'm debating buying 2 Zotacs I have a shot at then reselling one of these eVGA cards since the Zotacs are AMP editions, and I'd be getting them "like new" for a very good price... we'll see!
I have no intention of running any sort of Ambient Occlusion, it just makes it easier for people to hide in shadows... lol

Right now I'm running a mix of High/Low, and I'm getting 60FPS almost constantly at 3x1080p with no AA. I think adding the third card to further load balance will allow me to put 2xAA on... because right now if I do it, I get nearly constant 99% GPU usage on Caspian Border, but if I go to less foresty parts of the map, it goes down in to the 80s, so I think adding an extra GPU would solve the issue via giving me more power so to speak.

I'm debating buying 2 Zotacs I have a shot at then reselling one of these eVGA cards since the Zotacs are AMP editions, and I'd be getting them "like new" for a very good price... we'll see!

Posted 02/20/2012 10:16 PM   
I'd just grab one, I prefer EVGA due to their lifetime warranty and awesome RMA support service. :)

I'm sure you could play with MSAAx2, I have been playing with the following settings;

[img]http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e6/e6f4af55_itUIA.png[/img]

And I get a constant +60fps all the time, and this is with cards at stock, amazing! :D

Oh, and Vram is never above 1.3GB, including most vram demmanding maps like Caspian Border and Kharg Island (64/64 Conquest).
I'd just grab one, I prefer EVGA due to their lifetime warranty and awesome RMA support service. :)

I'm sure you could play with MSAAx2, I have been playing with the following settings;

And I get a constant +60fps all the time, and this is with cards at stock, amazing! :D

Oh, and Vram is never above 1.3GB, including most vram demmanding maps like Caspian Border and Kharg Island (64/64 Conquest).

ImageImage

Posted 02/20/2012 10:19 PM   
Hey Honey Badger, be adviced that the newest 295.73 WHQL suck big time with 2 or more GTX580's for Battlefield 3 (Not sure about other cards).

Really low GPU usage and drops well below 60fps all the time, went back to 285.62 WHQL and I'm now at 99% usage all the time and +60fps all the time. Too bad, because I really wanted these new drivers for Skyrim and Batman AC, but I will never sacrifice Battlefield 3, oh well, stuck to 285.62 WHQL another month... /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
Hey Honey Badger, be adviced that the newest 295.73 WHQL suck big time with 2 or more GTX580's for Battlefield 3 (Not sure about other cards).

Really low GPU usage and drops well below 60fps all the time, went back to 285.62 WHQL and I'm now at 99% usage all the time and +60fps all the time. Too bad, because I really wanted these new drivers for Skyrim and Batman AC, but I will never sacrifice Battlefield 3, oh well, stuck to 285.62 WHQL another month... /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

ImageImage

Posted 02/22/2012 12:12 AM   
I'm using the 295.51s and not having any issues at all with 2-Way O_o

The third *and fourth* card will probably be here Monday, Seller said he'll ship them both tomorrow. Zotac AMP editions, brand new condition... we shall see how it rolls in Surround with 3-Way!
I'm using the 295.51s and not having any issues at all with 2-Way O_o

The third *and fourth* card will probably be here Monday, Seller said he'll ship them both tomorrow. Zotac AMP editions, brand new condition... we shall see how it rolls in Surround with 3-Way!

Posted 02/22/2012 01:24 AM   
Weird, installed the 295.73 WHQL again today and they run silky smooth! /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
Weird, installed the 295.73 WHQL again today and they run silky smooth! /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

ImageImage

Posted 02/22/2012 06:08 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top