Geforce 260 equipped Alienware M17x Upgrade time! please help with sli
Hey there! I have an Alienware M17x and she's been good to me.. I put a SSD as my boot drive, and this thing STILL flies. Its getting a bit long in the tooth though when you put newer games on it, I played and beat DeusEx: human revolution on it, it was gorgeous.. but.. its time for an update. Now..
This laptop has both geforce 260 cards, and 280 cards available for it to run in both single and sli mode.
i was going to do one of the following,
1. buy a second 260, and just do a normal sli 260 setup..
2. buy 2 geforce 280's and do a normal sli 280 setup..
buuut.. then i got thinking
the 260 and 280 are PRETTY MUCH the same card.
what, if i leave my geforce 260 in place, and get a geforce 280 as my secondary card.

Will a geforce 260/280 work in SLI? both have 1gb of Vram.

Please help!
Hey there! I have an Alienware M17x and she's been good to me.. I put a SSD as my boot drive, and this thing STILL flies. Its getting a bit long in the tooth though when you put newer games on it, I played and beat DeusEx: human revolution on it, it was gorgeous.. but.. its time for an update. Now..

This laptop has both geforce 260 cards, and 280 cards available for it to run in both single and sli mode.

i was going to do one of the following,

1. buy a second 260, and just do a normal sli 260 setup..

2. buy 2 geforce 280's and do a normal sli 280 setup..

buuut.. then i got thinking

the 260 and 280 are PRETTY MUCH the same card.

what, if i leave my geforce 260 in place, and get a geforce 280 as my secondary card.

Will a geforce 260/280 work in SLI? both have 1gb of Vram.

Please help!

Posted 02/18/2012 06:29 PM   
Human Revolution is not a particularly demanding game by today's standards, though. It runs at nearly double the framerate of things like Arkham City, Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run a 260 and a 280 in SLI together. They may be very similar, but that's not good enough, I'm afraid. They have to be the same. Although they have the same amount of RAM, they also have to be the same GPU.

Laptop GPUs are hideously expensive, so you don't want to have to upgrade again. Especially when the available option would not be that much faster than what you had already. Also, neither of these GPU is really what it claims to be. The GTX280M is really a GTS250 and the 260 is a GTS240. These are not high-end cards any more. Underclocked as well.

For these reasons, my advice would be to go for the most powerful setup you can. SLI 280Ms have more cores and run at higher clocks and so would be about 20% faster than SLI 260Ms. Hopefully, you can recoup some of the cost by selling the 260.
Human Revolution is not a particularly demanding game by today's standards, though. It runs at nearly double the framerate of things like Arkham City, Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run a 260 and a 280 in SLI together. They may be very similar, but that's not good enough, I'm afraid. They have to be the same. Although they have the same amount of RAM, they also have to be the same GPU.

Laptop GPUs are hideously expensive, so you don't want to have to upgrade again. Especially when the available option would not be that much faster than what you had already. Also, neither of these GPU is really what it claims to be. The GTX280M is really a GTS250 and the 260 is a GTS240. These are not high-end cards any more. Underclocked as well.

For these reasons, my advice would be to go for the most powerful setup you can. SLI 280Ms have more cores and run at higher clocks and so would be about 20% faster than SLI 260Ms. Hopefully, you can recoup some of the cost by selling the 260.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 02/19/2012 09:41 AM   
Scroll To Top