GTX 570 + 240 crashes in Batman AC Benchmark
I just got a newly built PC, and ran Batman AC for about an hour fine using my GTX 570. The benchmark also completes fine.

Then I added an old(er) GTX 240 to an additional PCIe slot and performed a 'clean' install of the 285.62 drivers. Set the PhysX settings to 'auto' (which selects the 240), rebooted, and now the benchmark crashes anywhere from within the first 10 seconds, to 30 seconds. I have a ThermalTake TR2 RX-750 750W PSU (I don't suspect this is the issue b/c I don't have many internal devices drawing power, but figured I add it here just in case).

I changed the PhysX settings to manually select the 570, and again for the CPU, and the benchmark completes fine.

I have not attempted to actually play the game w/ the second card - I assume if the benchmark crashes so will the game.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
I just got a newly built PC, and ran Batman AC for about an hour fine using my GTX 570. The benchmark also completes fine.

Then I added an old(er) GTX 240 to an additional PCIe slot and performed a 'clean' install of the 285.62 drivers. Set the PhysX settings to 'auto' (which selects the 240), rebooted, and now the benchmark crashes anywhere from within the first 10 seconds, to 30 seconds. I have a ThermalTake TR2 RX-750 750W PSU (I don't suspect this is the issue b/c I don't have many internal devices drawing power, but figured I add it here just in case).

I changed the PhysX settings to manually select the 570, and again for the CPU, and the benchmark completes fine.

I have not attempted to actually play the game w/ the second card - I assume if the benchmark crashes so will the game.

Posted 02/18/2012 03:34 PM   
Have you tried the latest beta drivers? It also comes with new PhysX 9.12.0203.
Have you tried the latest beta drivers? It also comes with new PhysX 9.12.0203.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K @4.4GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD43 (Intel Z77 chipset)
Graphics: MSI N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC (GeForce GTX 660 Ti @1019MHz)
RAM: 2 x 4GB Visipro PC3-12800 (1.5V @933MHz)
PSU: Seasonic Eco 600W SS-600BT Active PFC T3
Monitor: Asus VX239H (23" Full HD AH-IPS LED Display)

Posted 02/19/2012 03:13 PM   
[quote name='phoenix11k' date='18 February 2012 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1329579255' post='1371127']

[/quote]

Sometimes we must go back and think of the old daze when we edited our config and autoexec files E.G.; IRQ=5 DMA=1...What i'm getting at is simply this..Check your IRQ numbers of all your devices and write them down..Get inside of your control panel and open up the system/ hardware/ device manager...right click on all your devices and select properties..now look for resources...write down the IRQ number for that device...do all..see whether or not you have a shared IRQ with another device..

it may also be possible to change the IRQ number..i post this for related problems folks can't figure out..such as crashes from either a sound card or video card that "appears" to be at fault...sometimes a little IRQ tuning will solve those crashes where other attempts for a fix fail..
[quote name='phoenix11k' date='18 February 2012 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1329579255' post='1371127']

Sometimes we must go back and think of the old daze when we edited our config and autoexec files E.G.; IRQ=5 DMA=1...What i'm getting at is simply this..Check your IRQ numbers of all your devices and write them down..Get inside of your control panel and open up the system/ hardware/ device manager...right click on all your devices and select properties..now look for resources...write down the IRQ number for that device...do all..see whether or not you have a shared IRQ with another device..

it may also be possible to change the IRQ number..i post this for related problems folks can't figure out..such as crashes from either a sound card or video card that "appears" to be at fault...sometimes a little IRQ tuning will solve those crashes where other attempts for a fix fail..

Posted 02/19/2012 11:47 PM   
Thank you, both.

I updated to the 9.11.1111 drivers (from the PhysX download page), instead of going full-bore with the Beta drivers and interestingly the benchmark completed with the GTX 240 running the PhysX for the first time! (the performance increase was basically non-existent, but that is for another forum). So, it looks like PhysX is still in the hot-seat.

I ran the benchmark a second time (I like to run it 3 times to get a good average number), and it froze it more-or-less the same manor as before. I Ctrl+Alt+Del, and killed the process via Task manager (previously, I would get a Win 7 popup saying the app crashed on its own).

To your post TeacherPHD, I think the easiest way to accomplish what you suggest is to use the Windows 'System Information' tool, which (among other things) will list the IRQ assignments. In my case, both my 240 & 570 nVidia cards had been assigned IRQ 16. I don't know that this is the root cause of the problem though because if it were something a 'low level' as that kind of a hardware/OS/BIOS problem I would expect the thing to crash all the time - not just when PhysX is in use. Also, it is my understanding that all the IRQ #'s greater than 15 are the 'virtual' ones, and the OS and BIOS are capable of 'double booking' them. But, admittedly I've never had to troubleshoot a problem with IRQs greater than 15.

Unless anyone has any other pointers I think at this point I'll just wait until the beta drivers (and thus, the updated PhysX drivers within them) are released-to-world, and see if that helps. I'm not in any dire problem here because it's not like a GTX570 doesn't do a good job on it's own.
Thank you, both.

I updated to the 9.11.1111 drivers (from the PhysX download page), instead of going full-bore with the Beta drivers and interestingly the benchmark completed with the GTX 240 running the PhysX for the first time! (the performance increase was basically non-existent, but that is for another forum). So, it looks like PhysX is still in the hot-seat.

I ran the benchmark a second time (I like to run it 3 times to get a good average number), and it froze it more-or-less the same manor as before. I Ctrl+Alt+Del, and killed the process via Task manager (previously, I would get a Win 7 popup saying the app crashed on its own).

To your post TeacherPHD, I think the easiest way to accomplish what you suggest is to use the Windows 'System Information' tool, which (among other things) will list the IRQ assignments. In my case, both my 240 & 570 nVidia cards had been assigned IRQ 16. I don't know that this is the root cause of the problem though because if it were something a 'low level' as that kind of a hardware/OS/BIOS problem I would expect the thing to crash all the time - not just when PhysX is in use. Also, it is my understanding that all the IRQ #'s greater than 15 are the 'virtual' ones, and the OS and BIOS are capable of 'double booking' them. But, admittedly I've never had to troubleshoot a problem with IRQs greater than 15.

Unless anyone has any other pointers I think at this point I'll just wait until the beta drivers (and thus, the updated PhysX drivers within them) are released-to-world, and see if that helps. I'm not in any dire problem here because it's not like a GTX570 doesn't do a good job on it's own.

Posted 02/20/2012 03:04 AM   
[quote name='phoenix11k' date='19 February 2012 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1329707047' post='1371617']
Thank you, both.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tips with the IRQ's ...If what you say is true..-->your IRQ=16...Then that tells me its also loaded late in startup...or am I wrong?..IRQ=16 is loaded in virtual memory?..

It seems like you would want your card to have priority here and not take a back seat in the game..lol Simply put..If you can assign your card a number under 9... and swap that device to IRQ16 ..(play switch-arue)..give it a go ..

I certainly would consider the priority here on who gets what IRQ first...video is a bigtime issue as well as sound...so they would take a front row seat IMO..

(EDIT) I was searching the net and came up with this..(quote) The PCIe spec says that all PCIe devices must support MSI interrupts. (Whether they do in practice is another question.(end quote)

I did a keyword search on IRQ and PCIe and found that quote...there's more out there that should be checked over..Search for... MSI interrupts.... PCIe IRQ

I have a hard time believing its allways a hardware or software problem that causes crashes or lockups..I see alot of it here and stand my ground I'm on the right path with this..although I present no proof yet..

I hope this solves your issue and helps others also..I know its a basic no brainer...but its a real important factor we must never over look..
[quote name='phoenix11k' date='19 February 2012 - 10:04 PM' timestamp='1329707047' post='1371617']

Thank you, both.

Thanks for the tips with the IRQ's ...If what you say is true..-->your IRQ=16...Then that tells me its also loaded late in startup...or am I wrong?..IRQ=16 is loaded in virtual memory?..

It seems like you would want your card to have priority here and not take a back seat in the game..lol Simply put..If you can assign your card a number under 9... and swap that device to IRQ16 ..(play switch-arue)..give it a go ..

I certainly would consider the priority here on who gets what IRQ first...video is a bigtime issue as well as sound...so they would take a front row seat IMO..

(EDIT) I was searching the net and came up with this..(quote) The PCIe spec says that all PCIe devices must support MSI interrupts. (Whether they do in practice is another question.(end quote)

I did a keyword search on IRQ and PCIe and found that quote...there's more out there that should be checked over..Search for... MSI interrupts.... PCIe IRQ

I have a hard time believing its allways a hardware or software problem that causes crashes or lockups..I see alot of it here and stand my ground I'm on the right path with this..although I present no proof yet..

I hope this solves your issue and helps others also..I know its a basic no brainer...but its a real important factor we must never over look..

Posted 02/20/2012 11:59 AM   
So I applied the 295.73 drivers released today (which also came with updated PhysX) - same problem. However I did get a modest 4.5% increase in average framerate.
So I applied the 295.73 drivers released today (which also came with updated PhysX) - same problem. However I did get a modest 4.5% increase in average framerate.

Posted 02/22/2012 01:27 AM   
Download the latest [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0213-driver.html"]PhysX SS[/url] release yesterday
Check for game updates
Try with different benchmark/game that support PhysX GPU acceleration like FluidMark, 3DMark Vantage, Batman AA demo, etc..
Download the latest PhysX SS release yesterday

Check for game updates

Try with different benchmark/game that support PhysX GPU acceleration like FluidMark, 3DMark Vantage, Batman AA demo, etc..

Posted 02/22/2012 08:51 PM   
If you still experience problems please consider what I [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223562"]posted here[/url]
If you still experience problems please consider what I posted here

Posted 02/23/2012 03:55 AM   
Scroll To Top