Graphic Card help
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new Graphic card for my PC and I need some help with finding the right one.
Today I have commando green ASUS mother board with dual core processor and 4 GB RAM with a Quadro 3500 graphic card.
I was thinking of getting a EVGA GTX 460 or a GTX 560 ASUS / EVGA but I am not sure if i can fit it in the box.

I would appreciate some suggestions because at the moment I am using My PC for 3D modeling and gaming.

Thanks.
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new Graphic card for my PC and I need some help with finding the right one.

Today I have commando green ASUS mother board with dual core processor and 4 GB RAM with a Quadro 3500 graphic card.

I was thinking of getting a EVGA GTX 460 or a GTX 560 ASUS / EVGA but I am not sure if i can fit it in the box.

I would appreciate some suggestions because at the moment I am using My PC for 3D modeling and gaming.

Thanks.

Posted 02/18/2012 01:06 PM   
Isn't this a really CHEAP computer? Adding a new video card is a waste of money...

Even if the card does fit in the case, can the computer even run it? How about the power supply?

Save your money for a 'real' power computer, for what you are trying to do, you need power. 3d modeling takes as much power as gaming, only the fps isn't critical. Quad processor, lots of memory. Go to a computer builder, if you can't spec it and build it yourself. That way, you will get a custom-built system that does what you want.
Isn't this a really CHEAP computer? Adding a new video card is a waste of money...

Even if the card does fit in the case, can the computer even run it? How about the power supply?

Save your money for a 'real' power computer, for what you are trying to do, you need power. 3d modeling takes as much power as gaming, only the fps isn't critical. Quad processor, lots of memory. Go to a computer builder, if you can't spec it and build it yourself. That way, you will get a custom-built system that does what you want.

Posted 02/23/2012 08:55 AM   
[quote name='cloud dancer' date='23 February 2012 - 02:55 AM' timestamp='1329987305' post='1373736']

[/quote]

Ermm...BLUNTLY put, but accurate at least... /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

Salamander, please find some way to list your PC's specifications, including type of RAM ( DDR2, DDR3 ), model of motherboard and model of processor so we can get an idea on what to advise. We also need to know the wattage on your Power supply.

Thx. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
[quote name='cloud dancer' date='23 February 2012 - 02:55 AM' timestamp='1329987305' post='1373736']

Ermm...BLUNTLY put, but accurate at least... /haha.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':haha:' />

Salamander, please find some way to list your PC's specifications, including type of RAM ( DDR2, DDR3 ), model of motherboard and model of processor so we can get an idea on what to advise. We also need to know the wattage on your Power supply.

Thx. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Work in Progress:

Case: Corsair 650D
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
PSU: Antec TruePower New 750 Blue
CPU: Intel i5-2500K ( Socket 1155 )
CPU Cooler: ZalMan CNPS9500A LED
GPU: EVGA GTX 580
MEM: 8 GB G.Skill PC12800 DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Monitor: Samsung 2343 BWX 23"@ 2048 x 1152

My cards in order of ownership: Intergraph Intense3D Voodoo (Rush), 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 PCI, PNY GeForce4 MX 420 PCI, PNY nVidia 6600 AGP, BFG 7600GS O.C. AGP, BFG 8600GTS O.C. PCI-E, Xfx 9800GT PCI-E (SLI), BFG GTX 260 Maxcore 55 PCI-E (SLI), EVGA GTX 560 Ti PCI-E, EVGA GTX 580 1.5gb PCI-E

Posted 02/25/2012 07:55 PM   
Yes, a dual core processor won't be adequate for some current and most future AAA titles that require a quad core, so a 560ti would be good money after bad,
More so if the machine is still using DDR RAM.
The small case doesn't sound good for a 560 as it needs better air flow than the quadro.
Yes, a dual core processor won't be adequate for some current and most future AAA titles that require a quad core, so a 560ti would be good money after bad,

More so if the machine is still using DDR RAM.

The small case doesn't sound good for a 560 as it needs better air flow than the quadro.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 02/26/2012 02:00 PM   
Thank you for the feedback so far guys. I got this computer 5 years ago it wasn't cheap then but it might look like that now /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />
So far I can gather this much information about my PC:

Processor:Intel(R)Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E6850 3.00GHz (2CPUs)
Graphic card :Nvidia Quadro FX 3500
Motherboard :ASUS Commando green
Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC
RAM :Corsair TWIN2X1024-8500 DDR2
700W power supply

This is a pic of the box i got today (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=computer+boxes&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1680&bih=888&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Ob-4AHUWPKTJDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306398-31-gaming-1500-1800&docid=MxJH24fr3AguKM&imgurl=http://www.antec.com/images/400/1200V3_q_highlight.jpg&w=400&h=400&ei=LiZNT_3ZIcTG0QWmkYUw&zoom=1)

I got wondows XP home
I use Maya 2009
3Dmax 2009
and Z brush
Thank you for the feedback so far guys. I got this computer 5 years ago it wasn't cheap then but it might look like that now /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

So far I can gather this much information about my PC:

Processor:Intel(R)Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E6850 3.00GHz (2CPUs)

Graphic card :Nvidia Quadro FX 3500

Motherboard :ASUS Commando green

Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC

RAM :Corsair TWIN2X1024-8500 DDR2

700W power supply

This is a pic of the box i got today (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=computer+boxes&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1680&bih=888&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Ob-4AHUWPKTJDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306398-31-gaming-1500-1800&docid=MxJH24fr3AguKM&imgurl=http://www.antec.com/images/400/1200V3_q_highlight.jpg&w=400&h=400&ei=LiZNT_3ZIcTG0QWmkYUw&zoom=1)

I got wondows XP home

I use Maya 2009

3Dmax 2009

and Z brush

Posted 02/28/2012 07:11 PM   
First - If you want to play modern titles you have to accept that XP is dead /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' />.
Do you want to play recent releases ? I ask because I found out while hanging out at the Win7 gaming forum that there are a lot of people who still
quite happy to revisit their games dating back to the turn of the century (sounds like a long time when you say it like that /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' /> ).
Gaming PC's are a bit cheaper than they were 5yrs. ago. In addition to more power the components have come down in price. Most significantly RAM , and HDD's
(well - before the Thailand floods HDD's were cheap).

While most games can still run in DX 9, DX10 & 11 are being used more all the time, and handful of games do not use DX9 already.
The newer cards reflect this in their design with tessellation, ambient occlusion, and particles, among other things, and as you are probably aware Quadro cards aren't gaming cards.
DDR 2 still has some life in it and performs well, but 2GB is nowhere near enough. 4GB is pretty much minimum, so Win7 64bit is the OS of choice for gaming.
New motherboards use DDR3, and 8GB is a good RAM option, but that's OK because is [i]sooo[/i] cheap these lately that many are going for 16GB - just because....
cpu - as mentioned dual core is out. Quad core is mainstream, and six and eight core are on the market.
Power supply - A quality 700W is enough for any single card and cpu with stock clocks, and as it is still alive and well after 5yrs. I assume your's is a good psu.
It will have lost some of it's capacity in 5years, but as long as it is still producing steady current, and not getting too hot it should be good.

Your link didn't work for me. It's better to use the link tool next to the smiley for your links.

So - What games do you want to play, and what is your budget ?

First - If you want to play modern titles you have to accept that XP is dead /angel.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='O:)' />.

Do you want to play recent releases ? I ask because I found out while hanging out at the Win7 gaming forum that there are a lot of people who still

quite happy to revisit their games dating back to the turn of the century (sounds like a long time when you say it like that /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' /> ).

Gaming PC's are a bit cheaper than they were 5yrs. ago. In addition to more power the components have come down in price. Most significantly RAM , and HDD's

(well - before the Thailand floods HDD's were cheap).

While most games can still run in DX 9, DX10 & 11 are being used more all the time, and handful of games do not use DX9 already.

The newer cards reflect this in their design with tessellation, ambient occlusion, and particles, among other things, and as you are probably aware Quadro cards aren't gaming cards.

DDR 2 still has some life in it and performs well, but 2GB is nowhere near enough. 4GB is pretty much minimum, so Win7 64bit is the OS of choice for gaming.

New motherboards use DDR3, and 8GB is a good RAM option, but that's OK because is sooo cheap these lately that many are going for 16GB - just because....

cpu - as mentioned dual core is out. Quad core is mainstream, and six and eight core are on the market.

Power supply - A quality 700W is enough for any single card and cpu with stock clocks, and as it is still alive and well after 5yrs. I assume your's is a good psu.

It will have lost some of it's capacity in 5years, but as long as it is still producing steady current, and not getting too hot it should be good.

Your link didn't work for me. It's better to use the link tool next to the smiley for your links.

So - What games do you want to play, and what is your budget ?

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 02/29/2012 09:18 AM   
Scroll To Top