Where to buy a Samsung Galaxy phone the cheapest
  1 / 2    
This question is to my Australian brothers and sisters /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

I have been wanting to buy a Samsung Galaxy phone and to be specific I want to get either the [url="http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note-4135.php"]Samsung Galaxy Note[/url] or the [url="http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-3621.php"]Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II[/url]. I really like the Note and before you tell me I know it's a big a$$ phone both in terms of money and size but I still like to get this. But I will make my decision once I know where to buy it.

Now the reason I want to buy it from Australia and not New Zealand is because I will be moving to Australia soon. That and another reason is when I search NZs cheapest prices I still think Australia is cheaper to get these phones. I found 1 website that had the Note and already that site was really cheap compared to the cheapest in NZ.

Anyways let me know please what your experiences in purchasing phones is.
Also I consider a store with a good reputation and a good warranty on its products.

Thanks in advance for suggestions /happy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />
This question is to my Australian brothers and sisters /biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':biggrin:' />

I have been wanting to buy a Samsung Galaxy phone and to be specific I want to get either the Samsung Galaxy Note or the Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II. I really like the Note and before you tell me I know it's a big a$$ phone both in terms of money and size but I still like to get this. But I will make my decision once I know where to buy it.

Now the reason I want to buy it from Australia and not New Zealand is because I will be moving to Australia soon. That and another reason is when I search NZs cheapest prices I still think Australia is cheaper to get these phones. I found 1 website that had the Note and already that site was really cheap compared to the cheapest in NZ.

Anyways let me know please what your experiences in purchasing phones is.

Also I consider a store with a good reputation and a good warranty on its products.

Thanks in advance for suggestions /happy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':happy:' />

Posted 02/18/2012 08:32 AM   
Actually I did a little digging and found these 2 stores.

This

http://www.crazysales.com.au/samsung-galaxy-note-smartphone.html?utm_campaign=Mobile%20Phones&utm_term=ASTMOP0666&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

and this

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung-galaxy-note-blue-unlocked/

Just wondering has anyone bought from either of these 2 stores before?

Thanks
Actually I did a little digging and found these 2 stores.

This

http://www.crazysales.com.au/samsung-galaxy-note-smartphone.html?utm_campaign=Mobile%20Phones&utm_term=ASTMOP0666&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

and this

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung-galaxy-note-blue-unlocked/

Just wondering has anyone bought from either of these 2 stores before?

Thanks

Posted 02/18/2012 10:50 AM   
I have Tmobile's version of the Galaxy S2 and I have to say that it's just amazing. Tmobile's version has a slightly bigger screen (4.5 inch AMOLED compared to the international version's 4.3 inch AMOLED) and uses Qualcomm's 1.5Ghz dual-core CPU along with an Adreno 220 GPU (instead of Samsung's own Exynos SoC with Mali 400 GPU).

I haven't even rooted it and it does everything I could ever want it to do at the moment. The 4.5 inch AMOLED screen is simply breathtaking, whether you're browsing, playing games, or watching HD movies. Browsers like Opera mobile and Dolphin HD give this smartphone the full web experience, meaning that flash works excellently and the pages load fast. The voice recognition software on it is also impressive and it easily competes with Siri on the iPhone 4S. Even the battery life is more than exceptional (sometimes I get three days out of it in standby mode). I really have no complaints at all.

The Galaxy Note looks to a be a bit better on the hardware side, mainly because of the giant 800 x 1280 AMOLED screen. However, there have been some complaints about the Note's size. It's rather ungainly when used as a phone. The Note is also more expensive than the S2.

I got the Galaxy S2 at a significantly reduced price because I bought it from my brother, who actually works for Tmobile. He sold it to me for $300 USD and it was basically brand new. Normally, Tmobile charges $500 USD for it, which is roughly the same as other carriers like AT&T and Sprint.

I don't think you're going to find the Note at a decent price, unless you get lucky and find someone that's selling one. You'll have better luck finding the S2 at a decent price though. Since the S2 can do most of the things the Note can, I would suggest considering it instead. Not only is the S2 just as powerful as the Note in terms of processing power, it's also not as awkward to use as a phone.
I have Tmobile's version of the Galaxy S2 and I have to say that it's just amazing. Tmobile's version has a slightly bigger screen (4.5 inch AMOLED compared to the international version's 4.3 inch AMOLED) and uses Qualcomm's 1.5Ghz dual-core CPU along with an Adreno 220 GPU (instead of Samsung's own Exynos SoC with Mali 400 GPU).

I haven't even rooted it and it does everything I could ever want it to do at the moment. The 4.5 inch AMOLED screen is simply breathtaking, whether you're browsing, playing games, or watching HD movies. Browsers like Opera mobile and Dolphin HD give this smartphone the full web experience, meaning that flash works excellently and the pages load fast. The voice recognition software on it is also impressive and it easily competes with Siri on the iPhone 4S. Even the battery life is more than exceptional (sometimes I get three days out of it in standby mode). I really have no complaints at all.

The Galaxy Note looks to a be a bit better on the hardware side, mainly because of the giant 800 x 1280 AMOLED screen. However, there have been some complaints about the Note's size. It's rather ungainly when used as a phone. The Note is also more expensive than the S2.

I got the Galaxy S2 at a significantly reduced price because I bought it from my brother, who actually works for Tmobile. He sold it to me for $300 USD and it was basically brand new. Normally, Tmobile charges $500 USD for it, which is roughly the same as other carriers like AT&T and Sprint.

I don't think you're going to find the Note at a decent price, unless you get lucky and find someone that's selling one. You'll have better luck finding the S2 at a decent price though. Since the S2 can do most of the things the Note can, I would suggest considering it instead. Not only is the S2 just as powerful as the Note in terms of processing power, it's also not as awkward to use as a phone.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/19/2012 11:59 AM   
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='18 February 2012 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1329553969' post='1371060']

[/quote]
Harvey Norman is a great place for the Samsung Galaxy S2.
You won't beat their after sales service.
Normally this shop is way overpriced, but on this phone they have a reasonable deal at $587
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-gb-mobile-phone.html

I also recommend having a read at the whirlpool forums. It is easily the best forum to get the average Aussie opinion on anything technology related.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1710364
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='18 February 2012 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1329553969' post='1371060']

Harvey Norman is a great place for the Samsung Galaxy S2.

You won't beat their after sales service.

Normally this shop is way overpriced, but on this phone they have a reasonable deal at $587

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-gb-mobile-phone.html

I also recommend having a read at the whirlpool forums. It is easily the best forum to get the average Aussie opinion on anything technology related.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1710364

Posted 02/19/2012 04:19 PM   
Where abouts in Australia are you moving to bro?

If I was you I would get it on a contract rather than buy it outright.

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 02/19/2012 09:27 PM   
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='19 February 2012 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1329686856' post='1371516']

[/quote]

In the US, it's much cheaper to just buy the phone outright and choose a pre-paid plan. I only have to pay $50 a month for unlimited talk\text and unlimited data (first 2GB at 4G speeds).
[quote name='Saijan Prince.' date='19 February 2012 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1329686856' post='1371516']

In the US, it's much cheaper to just buy the phone outright and choose a pre-paid plan. I only have to pay $50 a month for unlimited talk\text and unlimited data (first 2GB at 4G speeds).

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/19/2012 09:44 PM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='19 February 2012 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1329687869' post='1371523']
[/quote]

Yeah I would imagine it would be in the US.

Its like 600 dollars for a handset outright here and then you have to sign up for a prepaid plan on top of that, whereas on a plan here you can get a much better deal bandwidth and call/text wise than you can on an compartive costing prepaid plan.

Learned that the hard way lol
[quote name='slamscaper' date='19 February 2012 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1329687869' post='1371523']

Yeah I would imagine it would be in the US.

Its like 600 dollars for a handset outright here and then you have to sign up for a prepaid plan on top of that, whereas on a plan here you can get a much better deal bandwidth and call/text wise than you can on an compartive costing prepaid plan.

Learned that the hard way lol

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

Posted 02/19/2012 10:08 PM   
Thanks all for the replies. Really helpful.
Currently I have no computer as I have sold my desktop and my laptop is being checked as to why its not running full HD smoothly when its absolutely capable of it. So right now I'm stuck using my parents computer (it's sooooooo slow lol).

Anyways. slamscaper thanks for the information. But I think it will be really hard for me to get a phone from US and the overall shipment might not make a difference. Still I am researching all over the world.

Personally I have hold both the S2 and the Note in my hand and to be honest I really like the S2 but the Note was simply amazing just because of it's larger screen and the amazing 1280x800 Super AMOLED. I think the screen is simply the best about the Note.

As for my usage, I tend to text a lot more than I actually call someone. I would say about 95% I'm texting and only 5% of the time I actually use for calling.

I think I'm leaning towards the Note more. After all I think this will be a great experience for me and in the future I can make better decision as this is my first smart phone.

Saijan Prince I'm moving to Sydney but I don't know exactly when but it will be in the next couple of months. Hopefully before June or July.

Stickywulf thanks for the forum link. I will be participating a lot in Android forums and general phone forums once I get my phone.

I also will not buy a desktop until Haswell is out. If I decide to get a desktop before Haswell I think I will get Ivy-Bridge. Anyways I don't want to get into that.

Currently I have no computer as I have sold my desktop and my laptop is being checked as to why its not running full HD smoothly when its absolutely capable of it. So right now I'm stuck using my parents computer (it's sooooooo slow lol).

Anyways. slamscaper thanks for the information. But I think it will be really hard for me to get a phone from US and the overall shipment might not make a difference. Still I am researching all over the world.

Personally I have hold both the S2 and the Note in my hand and to be honest I really like the S2 but the Note was simply amazing just because of it's larger screen and the amazing 1280x800 Super AMOLED. I think the screen is simply the best about the Note.

As for my usage, I tend to text a lot more than I actually call someone. I would say about 95% I'm texting and only 5% of the time I actually use for calling.

I think I'm leaning towards the Note more. After all I think this will be a great experience for me and in the future I can make better decision as this is my first smart phone.

Saijan Prince I'm moving to Sydney but I don't know exactly when but it will be in the next couple of months. Hopefully before June or July.

Stickywulf thanks for the forum link. I will be participating a lot in Android forums and general phone forums once I get my phone.

I also will not buy a desktop until Haswell is out. If I decide to get a desktop before Haswell I think I will get Ivy-Bridge. Anyways I don't want to get into that.

Posted 02/20/2012 01:49 AM   
The review on the GSMArena says this about the screen.

[quote]The only downside of the 5.3” screen is that, unlike its Super AMOLED Plus siblings, it uses a PenTile matrix, instead of a conventional RGB one. It means that each pixel is composed of two, rather than three subpixels, which lowers the effective resolution whenever subpixel rendering is used.[/quote]

It's not a big deal though for me but it's important to keep this in mind.
The review on the GSMArena says this about the screen.

The only downside of the 5.3” screen is that, unlike its Super AMOLED Plus siblings, it uses a PenTile matrix, instead of a conventional RGB one. It means that each pixel is composed of two, rather than three subpixels, which lowers the effective resolution whenever subpixel rendering is used.

It's not a big deal though for me but it's important to keep this in mind.

Posted 02/20/2012 02:51 AM   
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='20 February 2012 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1329702567' post='1371606']

[/quote]

Cool man! word of advice from a fellow kiwi computer enthusiast who is living in AU.

DO NOT MOVE INTO A PLACE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING - you will RUE the day. LOL
[quote name='NutZInTheHead' date='20 February 2012 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1329702567' post='1371606']

Cool man! word of advice from a fellow kiwi computer enthusiast who is living in AU.

DO NOT MOVE INTO A PLACE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING - you will RUE the day. LOL

Posted 02/20/2012 04:31 AM   
You may also want to try to buy it online at Kogan, their Samsung Galaxy SII is a bit cheaper than others stores the question is how much is your budget?
You may also want to try to buy it online at Kogan, their Samsung Galaxy SII is a bit cheaper than others stores the question is how much is your budget?

Posted 02/28/2012 01:32 AM   
Every time I see the title of this thread, I instantly suspect it's a spam advertisement for a second. /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />

Here's my question: why not wait for the Galaxy S3 to launch? News leaks and rumors consistently suggest it may launch in July, and the specs look pretty impressive. Even if it doesn't live up to the legacy, the S2 will fall in price regardless.
Every time I see the title of this thread, I instantly suspect it's a spam advertisement for a second. /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />

Here's my question: why not wait for the Galaxy S3 to launch? News leaks and rumors consistently suggest it may launch in July, and the specs look pretty impressive. Even if it doesn't live up to the legacy, the S2 will fall in price regardless.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 02/28/2012 01:46 AM   
[quote name='Exitios' date='28 February 2012 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1330393563' post='1375955']

[/quote]

I just got a galaxy S2 and I am pretty pleased with it myself....I heard the S3 is not far off but really lol I doubt I will tap into what this "phone" is really capable of anyway.
[quote name='Exitios' date='28 February 2012 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1330393563' post='1375955']

I just got a galaxy S2 and I am pretty pleased with it myself....I heard the S3 is not far off but really lol I doubt I will tap into what this "phone" is really capable of anyway.

Posted 02/28/2012 02:38 AM   
Sorry guys I got the Galaxy Note. I just couldn't wait any more. And I got it from a NZ store.
The S3 rumored specs are really impressive but its not even officially announced yet.

I gotta say the Note is really impressive. The big size is really not an issue for me. I might get a few funny looks when I'm making a call with it but I don't care. I'm now waiting on ICS official release by Samsung.

I think I will keep this phone until the Note 2 gets released or something similar. I really dont see myself getting a smaller phone now that I have this beast.

Sorry Exitios my wording of the title is really bad. Feel free to change it to suit the topic better /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Anyways I'm just really happy with this phone.
Sorry guys I got the Galaxy Note. I just couldn't wait any more. And I got it from a NZ store.

The S3 rumored specs are really impressive but its not even officially announced yet.

I gotta say the Note is really impressive. The big size is really not an issue for me. I might get a few funny looks when I'm making a call with it but I don't care. I'm now waiting on ICS official release by Samsung.

I think I will keep this phone until the Note 2 gets released or something similar. I really dont see myself getting a smaller phone now that I have this beast.

Sorry Exitios my wording of the title is really bad. Feel free to change it to suit the topic better /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Anyways I'm just really happy with this phone.

Posted 03/02/2012 12:25 AM   
Nah, that's not necessary, it just makes me laugh at my own trained behavior.

Don't blame you at all for buying now. I totally understand how overpowering instant gratification can be. When I finally replaced my QWERTY keyboard phone with the Galaxy SII, if you had come up to me and said if I waited 4-5 months I could've gotten something better, I would've looked at you like you were asking me to shave a ferret.
Nah, that's not necessary, it just makes me laugh at my own trained behavior.

Don't blame you at all for buying now. I totally understand how overpowering instant gratification can be. When I finally replaced my QWERTY keyboard phone with the Galaxy SII, if you had come up to me and said if I waited 4-5 months I could've gotten something better, I would've looked at you like you were asking me to shave a ferret.

GeForce Technical Marketing

Posted 03/02/2012 01:07 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top