Crashes w/ GeForce GTS 360 on Qosmio X505-Q880
I have been having a problem for a while now with my Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880. While I'm using my laptop, usually browsing the web, my video driver crashes. The screen freezes, then goes black, then resets itself and shows the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 259.12 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I am using the latest drivers from the Toshiba web site. I have been working with the Toshiba Tech Support, but they have been unable to solve my problem. The next step they want me to try is to restore my system. I am unwilling to do this because I don't think it will help, and I don't want to lose all of my current files and configuration. I think that that problem is with the drivers, but they have not updated them since 2010.

I am thinking about installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

Has anyone else had this problem or something similar? It seems to be a common problem with Toshiba laptops. Has anyone tried using the driver from NVIDIA instead of the one supplied by Toshiba?

Thanks in advance.
I have been having a problem for a while now with my Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880. While I'm using my laptop, usually browsing the web, my video driver crashes. The screen freezes, then goes black, then resets itself and shows the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 259.12 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I am using the latest drivers from the Toshiba web site. I have been working with the Toshiba Tech Support, but they have been unable to solve my problem. The next step they want me to try is to restore my system. I am unwilling to do this because I don't think it will help, and I don't want to lose all of my current files and configuration. I think that that problem is with the drivers, but they have not updated them since 2010.

I am thinking about installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

Has anyone else had this problem or something similar? It seems to be a common problem with Toshiba laptops. Has anyone tried using the driver from NVIDIA instead of the one supplied by Toshiba?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 02/18/2012 01:24 AM   
Hi,

I'm starting to think that the crash problem with video cards are not exclusive for a particularly family of video cards, because I had the samue issue you're having now and I own a GTX 560M.

I posted my solution for the problem in a topic about the GTX 560M. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=219269

I hope this works.

Cya.
Hi,

I'm starting to think that the crash problem with video cards are not exclusive for a particularly family of video cards, because I had the samue issue you're having now and I own a GTX 560M.

I posted my solution for the problem in a topic about the GTX 560M. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=219269

I hope this works.

Cya.

Posted 02/18/2012 01:55 AM   
[quote name='Marcos Monteiro' date='17 February 2012 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1329530132' post='1370968']
Hi,

I hope this works.

Cya.
[/quote]

Thank you! I tried that setting. Time will tell if this helps. Since I rarely have my laptop unplugged, I don't mind setting it for maximum performance.

My title should say that I'm using a GeForce GTS 360[b][u]M[/u][/b], not that it matters.
[quote name='Marcos Monteiro' date='17 February 2012 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1329530132' post='1370968']

Hi,

I hope this works.

Cya.

Thank you! I tried that setting. Time will tell if this helps. Since I rarely have my laptop unplugged, I don't mind setting it for maximum performance.

My title should say that I'm using a GeForce GTS 360M, not that it matters.

Posted 02/18/2012 02:35 AM   
Yes, time will tell if it really works...

So far my video card got no crashes since I did this modification on the 3d settings.
Yes, time will tell if it really works...

So far my video card got no crashes since I did this modification on the 3d settings.

Posted 02/18/2012 02:53 AM   
It's been more than a week since I applied the change that Marcos suggested. My laptop hasn't crashed with this message since then. It seems to have worked. I'm not sure if this is a problem that I should report to NVIDIA.

I did not bother to install the latest graphic drivers from NVIDIA. I don't know if I should or if I should stick to the drivers from Toshiba. I had one crash since applying this change. It was a complete system lockup, but I can't say whether the video driver had anything to do with that.
It's been more than a week since I applied the change that Marcos suggested. My laptop hasn't crashed with this message since then. It seems to have worked. I'm not sure if this is a problem that I should report to NVIDIA.

I did not bother to install the latest graphic drivers from NVIDIA. I don't know if I should or if I should stick to the drivers from Toshiba. I had one crash since applying this change. It was a complete system lockup, but I can't say whether the video driver had anything to do with that.

Posted 02/29/2012 12:25 AM   
Scroll To Top