GTX 295 24/7 Folding & Temperature Advice I'm not experiencing any problems i'm just see
Hi everyone,

I know this has been discussed a lot everywhere but I would really appreciate some reassurance and concise answers.

I have purchased two GTX 295s and I'm planning on using them for 24/7 folding. I've only installed one of the cards so far, and it is running well with temperatures on both GPU cores at a steady 90-91C (100% load and fan).

I have read that this is relatively normal for a high end sandwich card to do this, BUT could I leave it folding at these temperatures??

When I say 24/7 folding I really mean something like a solid months worth of folding. They are BFG cards so there's no warranty and I just don't have the balls to open it up and re-apply it with fresh thermal paste.

I personally think the airflow in my Thermaltake Xaser VI case is pretty ample however I may as well try improving it if need be.

Again I know there have been threads about this but I just want to make sure :)

Really appreciate everyone's time, thanks!!!
Randomrat
Hi everyone,

I know this has been discussed a lot everywhere but I would really appreciate some reassurance and concise answers.

I have purchased two GTX 295s and I'm planning on using them for 24/7 folding. I've only installed one of the cards so far, and it is running well with temperatures on both GPU cores at a steady 90-91C (100% load and fan).

I have read that this is relatively normal for a high end sandwich card to do this, BUT could I leave it folding at these temperatures??

When I say 24/7 folding I really mean something like a solid months worth of folding. They are BFG cards so there's no warranty and I just don't have the balls to open it up and re-apply it with fresh thermal paste.

I personally think the airflow in my Thermaltake Xaser VI case is pretty ample however I may as well try improving it if need be.

Randomrat

Posted 02/17/2012 03:35 AM   
[quote name='randomrat' date='17 February 2012 - 05:35 AM' timestamp='1329449750' post='1370564']
Hi everyone,

Randomrat
[/quote]
Hi there i think you will have a big problem with the cooling of them because they will be very close.you need a WC of them i do SETI@HOME on quad sli gtx 295 single PCB version and they run 100% load - 25C
[quote name='randomrat' date='17 February 2012 - 05:35 AM' timestamp='1329449750' post='1370564']

Hi everyone,

Randomrat

Hi there i think you will have a big problem with the cooling of them because they will be very close.you need a WC of them i do SETI@HOME on quad sli gtx 295 single PCB version and they run 100% load - 25C

Posted 02/22/2012 05:35 PM   
[quote name='randomrat' date='16 February 2012 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1329449750' post='1370564']
Hi everyone,

Randomrat
[/quote]

I don't recommend it! I ran, for over a year, BOINC 24/7 on my i7-975 liquid cooled (sometimes overclocked) with twin-GTX 295 in QUAD-sli mode (air cooled), and although I was racking up credits big time, here is what I observed:
- the room temperature got unbearably high ! I could literally heat the whole floor with just the machine and cards running at 100%. In summer, I had a hard time making the room comfortable using A/C ! Not joking here !
- My electric bill when up big time (+100$) ... You'll be running about 900+Watts (0.9 KWh * 24hrs = 22 KWh/day or 660 KWh per month !!! Do the math with your local electric company!)
- The NOISE was also unbearable for other familly members. We find what we do cool, but others don't !
- Overall, newer generation cards we're pretty close to the performance, and run quieter, less heat, and lower electrical bills.
- after about a year, I starting noticing some instability when overclocking at extreme settings (vs a year before)... I guess the heat took it's toll over time.
- My temperature was similar to yours, around the 90-96 degrees while crunching.

My advice, use the cards for gaming, they're awesome! Leave the BOINC project for the day you can afford the latest next generation GPU, top of the line (or close), and you'll be racking up credits faster than if you started today with your old Gen cards. For example, I ran SETI for years on Dual-Xeon 3.0Ghz machines ( X 8 machines) with top of the line Quadro 980xgl and racked up less credits DURING those years than running the new Gen cards for just 30 days !

These are just my recommendations, but hey, everyone gets to choose.

Hope this helps you. Cheers.
[quote name='randomrat' date='16 February 2012 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1329449750' post='1370564']

Hi everyone,

Randomrat

I don't recommend it! I ran, for over a year, BOINC 24/7 on my i7-975 liquid cooled (sometimes overclocked) with twin-GTX 295 in QUAD-sli mode (air cooled), and although I was racking up credits big time, here is what I observed:

- the room temperature got unbearably high ! I could literally heat the whole floor with just the machine and cards running at 100%. In summer, I had a hard time making the room comfortable using A/C ! Not joking here !

- My electric bill when up big time (+100$) ... You'll be running about 900+Watts (0.9 KWh * 24hrs = 22 KWh/day or 660 KWh per month !!! Do the math with your local electric company!)

- The NOISE was also unbearable for other familly members. We find what we do cool, but others don't !

- Overall, newer generation cards we're pretty close to the performance, and run quieter, less heat, and lower electrical bills.

- after about a year, I starting noticing some instability when overclocking at extreme settings (vs a year before)... I guess the heat took it's toll over time.

- My temperature was similar to yours, around the 90-96 degrees while crunching.

My advice, use the cards for gaming, they're awesome! Leave the BOINC project for the day you can afford the latest next generation GPU, top of the line (or close), and you'll be racking up credits faster than if you started today with your old Gen cards. For example, I ran SETI for years on Dual-Xeon 3.0Ghz machines ( X 8 machines) with top of the line Quadro 980xgl and racked up less credits DURING those years than running the new Gen cards for just 30 days !

These are just my recommendations, but hey, everyone gets to choose.

Hope this helps you. Cheers.

Posted 02/26/2012 04:39 PM   
Scroll To Top