Old motherboard with SSD Good buy?
Hello,

I've just register here because i really need your help :)

Should i buy SSD disk to work with my old [url="http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P6N-SLI.html#/?div=Detail"]MSI P6N SLI motherboard[/url]? My first choice was, or i should say still is, an Intel SSD 320 Series 80GB(SSDSA2CW080G3K5 909442) i can buy it for a good price, just a little higher than Crucial m4 64GB or Samsung 470 64GB. But i found on few forums that there's a compatibility error with them. I mean between Intel SSD's and nForce chipsets.

[quote]First, it's not really the ASUS AHCI driver... it's AMD's. Intel's storage drivers will not work on that controller.[/quote]
[quote]Did you also install the latest nForce drivers from Nvidia? n650 chipsets are pretty terrible (not just because they're old. they weren't very good from the start) - you may want to switch the motherboard to something more modern so that you can get AHCI and trim for your SSD.[/quote]

So... is it really true? Is there anybody who own an Intel SSD on a MB with (older) nForce chipset and doesn't have problem with it? Is it only problem with Intel SSD's and i should try other manufacturer?

MSI P6N SLI
E6550
WIN7 64 Enterprise
few older HDD's

Thanks in advance.
maj3r

PS. There are probably a few mistakes. Sorry for that, that's not my native language /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Hello,

I've just register here because i really need your help :)

Should i buy SSD disk to work with my old MSI P6N SLI motherboard? My first choice was, or i should say still is, an Intel SSD 320 Series 80GB(SSDSA2CW080G3K5 909442) i can buy it for a good price, just a little higher than Crucial m4 64GB or Samsung 470 64GB. But i found on few forums that there's a compatibility error with them. I mean between Intel SSD's and nForce chipsets.

First, it's not really the ASUS AHCI driver... it's AMD's. Intel's storage drivers will not work on that controller.

Did you also install the latest nForce drivers from Nvidia? n650 chipsets are pretty terrible (not just because they're old. they weren't very good from the start) - you may want to switch the motherboard to something more modern so that you can get AHCI and trim for your SSD.

So... is it really true? Is there anybody who own an Intel SSD on a MB with (older) nForce chipset and doesn't have problem with it? Is it only problem with Intel SSD's and i should try other manufacturer?

MSI P6N SLI

E6550

WIN7 64 Enterprise

few older HDD's

Thanks in advance.

maj3r

PS. There are probably a few mistakes. Sorry for that, that's not my native language /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 02/15/2012 10:35 PM   
I've got an old nForce 750i SLI FTW motherboard, running a core 2 Duo E8400. It does not support AHCI and I went nuts trying to figure out how to get this enabled for my SSD. I even bought a PCIe Disck controller with AHCI support but still didn't really work because the motherboard does not support it.

However, all that being said, I bought a Samsung 470 64GB SSD and it's the best purchase I ever made. It's got a 3-5 year warranty and it put my machine on steroids. I had my OS split from everything else anyway, so I basically put my OS C: drive on part of the SSD and my programs on another. Then turn off paging to your C: disk and don't let your machine go to sleep to keep the writes as low as possible. I run XP so I can't take advantage of Trim Support, (but you need AHCI to make Trim work anyway) my thought was Samsung has a program called magician that comes with the drive and I thought I could use that for garbage collection (trim) but it needs AHCI support to work so I've been running without it for almost a year.

Every once in a while I get a blue screen, I reboot and all is great. My guess is a cell on the SSD died and caused a problem. When you reboot that spot is no longer used and life goes on. I would get another Samsung in a minute.
I've got an old nForce 750i SLI FTW motherboard, running a core 2 Duo E8400. It does not support AHCI and I went nuts trying to figure out how to get this enabled for my SSD. I even bought a PCIe Disck controller with AHCI support but still didn't really work because the motherboard does not support it.

However, all that being said, I bought a Samsung 470 64GB SSD and it's the best purchase I ever made. It's got a 3-5 year warranty and it put my machine on steroids. I had my OS split from everything else anyway, so I basically put my OS C: drive on part of the SSD and my programs on another. Then turn off paging to your C: disk and don't let your machine go to sleep to keep the writes as low as possible. I run XP so I can't take advantage of Trim Support, (but you need AHCI to make Trim work anyway) my thought was Samsung has a program called magician that comes with the drive and I thought I could use that for garbage collection (trim) but it needs AHCI support to work so I've been running without it for almost a year.

Every once in a while I get a blue screen, I reboot and all is great. My guess is a cell on the SSD died and caused a problem. When you reboot that spot is no longer used and life goes on. I would get another Samsung in a minute.

Posted 03/22/2012 09:55 PM   
Yeah I ran mine for a long time without ahci enabled as I forgot to do it before I installed everything and it wouldn't let me boot to my previous installs after it was enabled. I knew I was going RAID0 at some point and would have to reinstall anyway so I just ran without it and it still ran amazingly. I never got any BSOD or anything of the sort. An SSD is the single greatest upgrade you can do to a system. It is far more noticeable than even a cpu and/or gpu upgrade. Seriously.

That being said, if I were you I would hold out til I could afford at least a 120gb SSD. You will want to be able to install your OS, and any games with long load times. Those games will no longer have long load times. With SSD's you always want to keep at least 10% of the drive empty. So with an 80gb, once all is ready you will likely see the drive in windows as about 75gb. Then factor in the 10% free space and you're down to 67.5gb. Games are getting bigger and bigger every year in terms of storage usage. If you keep an eye out you can even find 256gb ssd's for between $220-250. I bought 3 corsaid 256gb SSD's for $220 a piece. And am now living the dream of nearly 1TB... all SSD.
Yeah I ran mine for a long time without ahci enabled as I forgot to do it before I installed everything and it wouldn't let me boot to my previous installs after it was enabled. I knew I was going RAID0 at some point and would have to reinstall anyway so I just ran without it and it still ran amazingly. I never got any BSOD or anything of the sort. An SSD is the single greatest upgrade you can do to a system. It is far more noticeable than even a cpu and/or gpu upgrade. Seriously.

That being said, if I were you I would hold out til I could afford at least a 120gb SSD. You will want to be able to install your OS, and any games with long load times. Those games will no longer have long load times. With SSD's you always want to keep at least 10% of the drive empty. So with an 80gb, once all is ready you will likely see the drive in windows as about 75gb. Then factor in the 10% free space and you're down to 67.5gb. Games are getting bigger and bigger every year in terms of storage usage. If you keep an eye out you can even find 256gb ssd's for between $220-250. I bought 3 corsaid 256gb SSD's for $220 a piece. And am now living the dream of nearly 1TB... all SSD.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Thuban BE with Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler(@3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD516gb
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
3x MSI Geforce GTX 660ti OC edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium powering Logitech z-5300e 5.1 THX Surround & Creative Fatal1ty Pro headset
1000w Rosewill Bronze PSU
3x Corsair x256 (256gb*3) SATA II SSD in RAID0 through mobo
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
Lian Li Lancool K58 Dragon Lord case
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
3dmark11 P12226 Ice: 25637 Cloud: 14996 Fire: 9099

Posted 03/25/2012 03:49 PM   
I'm running an OCZ Agility 3 on a 680i.

It took a few days to get it to detect and work at the right speeds, but its works nicely.

It took a few days to get it to detect and work at the right speeds, but its works nicely.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 03/26/2012 02:10 PM   
[quote name='bLuDrGn' date='26 March 2012 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1332771008' post='1388067']

[/quote]

Hi,
I've an OCZ Agility3 too, on an ASUS M3N78-EM motherbord based on NVIDIA GeForce 8300 chipset ... I'm not able to make it running.

Based on your experince, have you any suggestion/instruction?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, regards

Stefano
[quote name='bLuDrGn' date='26 March 2012 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1332771008' post='1388067']

Hi,

I've an OCZ Agility3 too, on an ASUS M3N78-EM motherbord based on NVIDIA GeForce 8300 chipset ... I'm not able to make it running.

Stefano

Posted 03/27/2012 06:42 AM   
[quote name='sreggy' date='27 March 2012 - 02:42 AM' timestamp='1332830523' post='1388420']
Hi,

Stefano
[/quote]

The only thing I can suggest is update the firmware on the SSD on a computer that can detect it and update BIOS on the mobo. Other than that, you might be SOL as I read about alot of cases of SSD not recognizing on older chipsets.
[quote name='sreggy' date='27 March 2012 - 02:42 AM' timestamp='1332830523' post='1388420']

Hi,

Stefano

The only thing I can suggest is update the firmware on the SSD on a computer that can detect it and update BIOS on the mobo. Other than that, you might be SOL as I read about alot of cases of SSD not recognizing on older chipsets.

eVGA Z68 SLI | Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i
8GB G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 | EVGA GTX 580 | OCZ ZX 1000W
OCZ Agility3 120 GB SSD + SanDisk Ultra 120GB SSD
Samsung UN55D6000 + Samsung T240
Win8 Pro x64 / WEI - 8.0 - 8.0 - 8.1 - 8.1 - 7.8
3DMark11 - P7545 / Vantage (PPU disabled) - P28859
F@H Team: 142900

Posted 03/27/2012 05:03 PM   
Scroll To Top