2 x 560 (448 core) SLI - BF3 problems
Hello everyone!

Just built an awesome new gaming PC and was stoked to play BF3...these are my specs

*Intel Core i7 2600k - OC'd to 4.45 Ghz on air
*16Gb x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM
*2 x GeForce GTX 560 ti (fermi) 448 Cores Classifieds in SLI (stock clocks)
*1 x 64 GB Crucial SSD
*1 x Western Digital 250Gb 7,200 RPM HDD
*1 x Corsair TX 850M PSU
(all attached to an ASUS P8 Z68-V/Gen3 Motherboard)

The problem I'm having is that I'm playing BF3 on 'ultra' settings and I'll get anywhere from 98-114 FPS the first 5 to 10 minutes of multiplayer...but after a bit the game starts to bog down and stutter with its framerates. I'm using the latest beta drivers (released on Jan 31st) and I don't know what the deal is.

I've tried turning off 'motion blur' and that seems to work for a while, then it hits later into the gameplay. I've triend enabling v-sync to lock it at 60FPS...but that doesn't always work (if it can't get 60 it defaults by hitting 30 until the cards can go back up to 60)

The only thing I really can do is play the game on 'medium' settings which is achievable with just 1 of these cards if you look at my setup (2 x 560's 448 cores classified similiar to 2 x 570's reference?)

I'm thinking that my power supply...even though it's gold-plus certified...isn't providing enough power to my rig with the 2 cards? Or maybe because the GFX cards both have 1.2Gb of VRAM it's not enough to sustain higher FPS? I know BF3 requires alot of VRAM (2Gb recommended)but I don't know if my setup is to blame?

Open to suggestions.
Hello everyone!

Just built an awesome new gaming PC and was stoked to play BF3...these are my specs

*1 x 64 GB Crucial SSD

*1 x Corsair TX 850M PSU

The problem I'm having is that I'm playing BF3 on 'ultra' settings and I'll get anywhere from 98-114 FPS the first 5 to 10 minutes of multiplayer...but after a bit the game starts to bog down and stutter with its framerates. I'm using the latest beta drivers (released on Jan 31st) and I don't know what the deal is.

I've tried turning off 'motion blur' and that seems to work for a while, then it hits later into the gameplay. I've triend enabling v-sync to lock it at 60FPS...but that doesn't always work (if it can't get 60 it defaults by hitting 30 until the cards can go back up to 60)

The only thing I really can do is play the game on 'medium' settings which is achievable with just 1 of these cards if you look at my setup (2 x 560's 448 cores classified similiar to 2 x 570's reference?)

I'm thinking that my power supply...even though it's gold-plus certified...isn't providing enough power to my rig with the 2 cards? Or maybe because the GFX cards both have 1.2Gb of VRAM it's not enough to sustain higher FPS? I know BF3 requires alot of VRAM (2Gb recommended)but I don't know if my setup is to blame?

Open to suggestions.

Posted 02/15/2012 06:29 PM   
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='15 February 2012 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1329330585' post='1369883']
Hello everyone!

*1 x 64 GB Crucial SSD
*1 x Corsair TX 850M PSU

Open to suggestions.
[/quote]
i have that issue too if i try to run textures on ultra. 1GB vram is NOT enough for ultra textures! try running it on high, thats what i do with dual GTX460's, alos i dought you have enough umph for MSAA, but definately dont run textures on ultra unless you have atleast 1.2-1.3GB vram.

GTX460 SLi
Core i5 @ 4Ghz
8GB ram
Win7 x64

2048x1152, all on high, SSAO (HBAO is too demanding for what you get) no motion blur and Post AA on low (higher is blurry)

at these settings i have no problem what so ever holding 60fps using vsync no matter whats happening on screen, and to be completely honest High settings look 99.9% as good as Ultra /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

just thought i would share my experience :)
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='15 February 2012 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1329330585' post='1369883']

Hello everyone!

*1 x 64 GB Crucial SSD

*1 x Corsair TX 850M PSU

Open to suggestions.

i have that issue too if i try to run textures on ultra. 1GB vram is NOT enough for ultra textures! try running it on high, thats what i do with dual GTX460's, alos i dought you have enough umph for MSAA, but definately dont run textures on ultra unless you have atleast 1.2-1.3GB vram.

GTX460 SLi

Core i5 @ 4Ghz

8GB ram

Win7 x64

2048x1152, all on high, SSAO (HBAO is too demanding for what you get) no motion blur and Post AA on low (higher is blurry)

at these settings i have no problem what so ever holding 60fps using vsync no matter whats happening on screen, and to be completely honest High settings look 99.9% as good as Ultra /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

just thought i would share my experience :)

Core i5 760 @ 4ghz, Asus P7P55D Deluxe, GTX580 SLi, G.Skill RipJaw 8GB, Corsair TX1050W

Posted 02/15/2012 09:58 PM   
Thank you for your input! Word on the street is that nvidia and dice are still optimizing the game since it's only been out 4 months, especially with the release of kepler, etc....

I've heard turning AA down to 2x or off completely will benefit...it kind of makes me mad since I thought buying 2 x 560 (448 cores classified limited edition) with 1.2 Gb of VRAM on each card (combined 2.4 Gb) would make a difference to keep it locked on ultra...but I think I'm wrong

I guess this is where a single GTX 580 3Gb card beats 2 x 560 classys in SLI? Simple because the game requires so much Vram???
Thank you for your input! Word on the street is that nvidia and dice are still optimizing the game since it's only been out 4 months, especially with the release of kepler, etc....

I've heard turning AA down to 2x or off completely will benefit...it kind of makes me mad since I thought buying 2 x 560 (448 cores classified limited edition) with 1.2 Gb of VRAM on each card (combined 2.4 Gb) would make a difference to keep it locked on ultra...but I think I'm wrong

I guess this is where a single GTX 580 3Gb card beats 2 x 560 classys in SLI? Simple because the game requires so much Vram???

Posted 02/15/2012 10:05 PM   
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='15 February 2012 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1329343547' post='1369972']

[/quote]

Firstly, VRAM does not stack in SLI.

You still only have 1.2gb of VRAM.

Secondly, that is enough for ultra settings with 2x MSAA and Post Processing AA set to High @ 1920x1080 resolution.

4x AA will tax your VRAM budget to much and will cause the stuttering issue.
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='15 February 2012 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1329343547' post='1369972']

Firstly, VRAM does not stack in SLI.

You still only have 1.2gb of VRAM.

Secondly, that is enough for ultra settings with 2x MSAA and Post Processing AA set to High @ 1920x1080 resolution.

4x AA will tax your VRAM budget to much and will cause the stuttering issue.

CPU: Core i7 930 @ 4.20ghz 1.3v cooled by Antec Kuhler 920

MOBO: Asus P6X58D Premium

GFX: 2x Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CUII @ 900mhz Core 2200mhz Memory

RAM: Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 6gb 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 2t

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Titanium Fatality SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Acer H243HX 24" @ 1920x1080 Resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Posted 02/15/2012 11:53 PM   
Thanks for your response! I've tried 'custom' with everything set to ultra...turning motion blur to 'off' and AA to 2x...and it works great! Highs of 140 fps and lows of 93 fps...

Did the whole 4x AA and it would bounce from 120 fps to 34 fps...what the heck?!?!

So yeah 2x AA w/ my 1.2 Gb VRAM...

Do you think if Dice and nvidia optimize a new set of drivers i'll eventually be able to max out every setting later on? Or am I stuck with what I got? (not complaining, just trying to squeeze performance)
Thanks for your response! I've tried 'custom' with everything set to ultra...turning motion blur to 'off' and AA to 2x...and it works great! Highs of 140 fps and lows of 93 fps...

Did the whole 4x AA and it would bounce from 120 fps to 34 fps...what the heck?!?!

Do you think if Dice and nvidia optimize a new set of drivers i'll eventually be able to max out every setting later on? Or am I stuck with what I got? (not complaining, just trying to squeeze performance)

Posted 02/16/2012 12:00 AM   
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='16 February 2012 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1329350437' post='1370016']

[/quote]

Yes and no.

I personally feel the drivers for this game are very buggy, wether or not we will see any further imrpovements is anyones guess.

If I were you I would be very happy with Ultra and 2x MSAA. To be honest I cannot tell the difference during battle between 4xAA and 2xAA.

The main thing is you can run all the other details at Ultra setttings, that is where the real eye candy is.

The reason for the drop while your on 4xAA is simply because your over taxing the VRAM budget and its buffering information across the PCI-E bus, which is significantly slower.

You should also be able to run with motion blur on without any performance impact.
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='16 February 2012 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1329350437' post='1370016']

Yes and no.

I personally feel the drivers for this game are very buggy, wether or not we will see any further imrpovements is anyones guess.

If I were you I would be very happy with Ultra and 2x MSAA. To be honest I cannot tell the difference during battle between 4xAA and 2xAA.

The main thing is you can run all the other details at Ultra setttings, that is where the real eye candy is.

The reason for the drop while your on 4xAA is simply because your over taxing the VRAM budget and its buffering information across the PCI-E bus, which is significantly slower.

You should also be able to run with motion blur on without any performance impact.

HDD: 1x OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD GAMES 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb in RAID 0

KEYBOARD: Logitech G19 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL Logitech G25 JOYSTICK Logitech G940

Posted 02/16/2012 05:07 AM   
Thanks Saijan for replying. I too cannot see a difference between 4x AA and 2x AA...I've checked motion blur off for now simply because I didn't like the blurriness when spinning around picking targets in BF3 online.

I hope nvidia is able to crank out some new drivers soon to address SLI stutters, and more specifically that DICE finds a way to ease VRAM usage by either sealing all memory leaks in the game or revolutionizing some way to run compressed textures through the faster DX11 cards.

It feels like if you wanna play on full ultra settings you are limited as to what cards you can buy...

Either the slower 2Gb 560 ti, a superclocked 570, the 3Gb GTX 580, or even the 2Gb 6950's and 4 Gb 6990's on AMD side. Anyone else left in the dust with a 1 Gb card is pretty much stuck.
Thanks Saijan for replying. I too cannot see a difference between 4x AA and 2x AA...I've checked motion blur off for now simply because I didn't like the blurriness when spinning around picking targets in BF3 online.

I hope nvidia is able to crank out some new drivers soon to address SLI stutters, and more specifically that DICE finds a way to ease VRAM usage by either sealing all memory leaks in the game or revolutionizing some way to run compressed textures through the faster DX11 cards.

It feels like if you wanna play on full ultra settings you are limited as to what cards you can buy...

Either the slower 2Gb 560 ti, a superclocked 570, the 3Gb GTX 580, or even the 2Gb 6950's and 4 Gb 6990's on AMD side. Anyone else left in the dust with a 1 Gb card is pretty much stuck.

Posted 02/16/2012 05:22 AM   
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='16 February 2012 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1329369722' post='1370120']

[/quote]

If those cards had more RAM I think they could handle the extra AA personally. Seems to me from the FPS you quoted you certainly have the room for it.

Its simply VRAM that is holding you back.

You have a killer rig imo I would have gotten those cards if nvidia had sold them here, but instead im getting a pair of 7950's to max this game out.
[quote name='lightningslp77' date='16 February 2012 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1329369722' post='1370120']

If those cards had more RAM I think they could handle the extra AA personally. Seems to me from the FPS you quoted you certainly have the room for it.

Its simply VRAM that is holding you back.

You have a killer rig imo I would have gotten those cards if nvidia had sold them here, but instead im getting a pair of 7950's to max this game out.

Posted 02/16/2012 06:38 AM   
As Sai said, it's vRAM. Also, for VSync, force Triple Buffering on in NVidia Control Panel, that'll help with the 30FPS thing.

I too have those currently, and I can tell you that even with the newer patches that makes BF3 scale with vRAM better, Ultra still requires around 1.5GB of vRAM to run Ultra everything and not run out.

I play at the moment at 3x 720p on Medium/High, or 3x 1080p on Low/Medium. I'm getting in 2 580 1.5GBs soon to test out and see if I can get better settings/performance in 3x 1080p. I want to run Medium/High with 2xAA on 3x1080p... right now I can't turn on AA or the FPS rate tanks majorly on the 560 Ti 448 Core Classifieds.

I do suggest playing with VSync on with Triple Buffering forced. Silky smooth 99% of the time if you're running Ultra everything with Textures on High & AA down to 2xAA, you shouldn't see FPS rate drop except maybe on Caspian Border (because it's a buggy map visually I think)
As Sai said, it's vRAM. Also, for VSync, force Triple Buffering on in NVidia Control Panel, that'll help with the 30FPS thing.

I too have those currently, and I can tell you that even with the newer patches that makes BF3 scale with vRAM better, Ultra still requires around 1.5GB of vRAM to run Ultra everything and not run out.

I play at the moment at 3x 720p on Medium/High, or 3x 1080p on Low/Medium. I'm getting in 2 580 1.5GBs soon to test out and see if I can get better settings/performance in 3x 1080p. I want to run Medium/High with 2xAA on 3x1080p... right now I can't turn on AA or the FPS rate tanks majorly on the 560 Ti 448 Core Classifieds.

I do suggest playing with VSync on with Triple Buffering forced. Silky smooth 99% of the time if you're running Ultra everything with Textures on High & AA down to 2xAA, you shouldn't see FPS rate drop except maybe on Caspian Border (because it's a buggy map visually I think)

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/16/2012 07:22 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='16 February 2012 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1329376932' post='1370147']

[/quote]

Unfortunately triple buffering does not work with SLI :( Much to my dissatisfaction.

I know it is enabled by default when vsync is enabled in BF3, but it has no effect when SLI is enabled, it is simply incompatible with AFR.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='16 February 2012 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1329376932' post='1370147']

Unfortunately triple buffering does not work with SLI :( Much to my dissatisfaction.

I know it is enabled by default when vsync is enabled in BF3, but it has no effect when SLI is enabled, it is simply incompatible with AFR.

Posted 02/16/2012 07:36 AM   
I should also note that the triple buffering setting in the NV control panel only works for OpenGL games. Microsoft does not officially allow TB to be forced via the video drivers. Instead, it must be implemented by the application itself (I've heard that BF3 does enable it when vsync is enabled)

D3DOverrider is needed to force TB in DX games.
I should also note that the triple buffering setting in the NV control panel only works for OpenGL games. Microsoft does not officially allow TB to be forced via the video drivers. Instead, it must be implemented by the application itself (I've heard that BF3 does enable it when vsync is enabled)

D3DOverrider is needed to force TB in DX games.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/16/2012 07:51 AM   
...yeah it sucks that the only thing holding me back from setting everything to ultra is VRAM...stuck at 1.2 Gb

Even though the 560 ti 448 core classy's have higher clocks and a 570 PCB w/aftermarket cooler...I still wonder if I would have gotten better performance by SLI'ing 2 x 2Gb version 560 ti's instead.

I mean, if I would have gotten the 2gb versions of the 560, I wouldn't have as high FPS as I do now, but at least I would be able to check all settings on ultra and turn on 4x AA...

When I play now I ask myself what good is it being able to play on 'high' settings with 160+ fps....

If you do get the GTX 580, I would suggest snagging the 3Gb version for 20 bucks more instead...or like Saij said getting the new AMD 7970's...wow those things are fast!
...yeah it sucks that the only thing holding me back from setting everything to ultra is VRAM...stuck at 1.2 Gb

Even though the 560 ti 448 core classy's have higher clocks and a 570 PCB w/aftermarket cooler...I still wonder if I would have gotten better performance by SLI'ing 2 x 2Gb version 560 ti's instead.

I mean, if I would have gotten the 2gb versions of the 560, I wouldn't have as high FPS as I do now, but at least I would be able to check all settings on ultra and turn on 4x AA...

When I play now I ask myself what good is it being able to play on 'high' settings with 160+ fps....

If you do get the GTX 580, I would suggest snagging the 3Gb version for 20 bucks more instead...or like Saij said getting the new AMD 7970's...wow those things are fast!

Posted 02/16/2012 07:58 AM   
Scroll To Top