Restore degraded mirror
I have a K9N6PGM2-V2 mobo and NVIDIA control panel ver 2.7.120.04

I had a mirror array of 2 drives, one failed, so I broke the mirror (but I don't recall the steps I took), and I repleaced the bad drive.

The mirror now shows as degraded on boot up and in the nvidia control panel. Windows XP sees both drives.

Drive C is correct and up to date, Drive D is the old drive with old data.

I want to rebuild the mirror using the data on C.

The help file on the control panel says to use rebuild array, but this option is not even present on the task panel.

I could use the bios (F10) utility but I do not want to risk losing any data on drove C.

How can I rebuild (remake?) the mirror using the data on C without any danger or wiping out drive C?

thanks
kpg
I have a K9N6PGM2-V2 mobo and NVIDIA control panel ver 2.7.120.04

I had a mirror array of 2 drives, one failed, so I broke the mirror (but I don't recall the steps I took), and I repleaced the bad drive.

The mirror now shows as degraded on boot up and in the nvidia control panel. Windows XP sees both drives.

Drive C is correct and up to date, Drive D is the old drive with old data.

I want to rebuild the mirror using the data on C.

The help file on the control panel says to use rebuild array, but this option is not even present on the task panel.

I could use the bios (F10) utility but I do not want to risk losing any data on drove C.

How can I rebuild (remake?) the mirror using the data on C without any danger or wiping out drive C?

thanks

kpg

Posted 02/13/2012 05:22 PM   
Data is always in critical state, when rebuilding the array. I have attempted this four times and thrice my data was lost and only once I have able to rebuilt the array without losing data. I suggest you to back-up data on c and then rebuilt the array.
GoodLuck :)
Data is always in critical state, when rebuilding the array. I have attempted this four times and thrice my data was lost and only once I have able to rebuilt the array without losing data. I suggest you to back-up data on c and then rebuilt the array.

GoodLuck :)
Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely image both drives first (the old D drive has some things on it I may need one day).

But how do I go about putting the mirror back together???

There is no such option on the desktop utility. There is an option to delete the array form the desktop.

Should I use the bios utility to rebuild the degraded mirror? Which drive will it use as the 'source' or will
it erase both disks.

Which brings up another question - Mirrors are great for protecting data from HDD failure, but this almost seems
pointless if you can;t rebuild the mirror without destroying you r data - or is it just me?

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely image both drives first (the old D drive has some things on it I may need one day).

But how do I go about putting the mirror back together???

There is no such option on the desktop utility. There is an option to delete the array form the desktop.

Should I use the bios utility to rebuild the degraded mirror? Which drive will it use as the 'source' or will

it erase both disks.

Which brings up another question - Mirrors are great for protecting data from HDD failure, but this almost seems

pointless if you can;t rebuild the mirror without destroying you r data - or is it just me?

Thanks.

Posted 02/13/2012 08:39 PM   
OK, I don't want to start a new thread on this, and I've already covered the basics I suppose, but I have some confusion.

First off, I have read the help files on the nvidia control panel, and while fairly informative there is one area where they are lacking.

No where does it discuss what happens to existing data when creating or deleting raid arrays.

Since the whole idea of redundant storage is to protect data I find this quite puzzling.

There needs to be some tutorials written from the point of view of an end user with some valuable data and how to create and delete raid arrays, and how recover the data when a drive inevitably fails.

I had a raid 1 mirror and a drive failed. I removed the bad drive and the system then reported a degraded mirror. I then replaced the bad drive (disk 0, the C: drive) and reinstalled the OS. I left the other half of the mirror in as E: drive (D: is the DVD) so I could copy over needed files. the system shows both drives and reports they are degraded.

I'm pretty sure this was not the correct action now that I think about it, I suppose I should have replaced the bad drive then recovered the mirror or something like that, well too late for that, I needed the data right then and the steps I took got me the data.

I now want to remake the mirror, but like I said, I removed the bad drive, replaced it with a new one, and now have data on it I want to keep. Recovery is not an option (literally, its not there!) on the control panel , and even if it were the raid probably thinks the old drive is the 'good' one and the new drive the 'one to be replaced' which is not the case.

So I think I want to delete the array (but I have no idea if this will destroy any data because the help files makes no mention of this prospect) then I will have raid enabled in the BIOS but no raid array. then I want to make a mirror out the the two drives with drive C as the 'source', but I have no idea how to do that last part.

Alternatively I could Image the C: drive, make the array, and if all data is wiped out then what? How would I restore the image I made to an OS-less system? I would need to install an OS, then overwrite the mirror with my image? I just don;t see how this will work.

More ranting here...What is the point of raid that can't be recovered back to the raided state? Once there is failure, that's it, no more raid for you? Obviously I'm missing something, and it's proper documentation.

Rant over.
OK, I don't want to start a new thread on this, and I've already covered the basics I suppose, but I have some confusion.

First off, I have read the help files on the nvidia control panel, and while fairly informative there is one area where they are lacking.

No where does it discuss what happens to existing data when creating or deleting raid arrays.

Since the whole idea of redundant storage is to protect data I find this quite puzzling.

There needs to be some tutorials written from the point of view of an end user with some valuable data and how to create and delete raid arrays, and how recover the data when a drive inevitably fails.

I had a raid 1 mirror and a drive failed. I removed the bad drive and the system then reported a degraded mirror. I then replaced the bad drive (disk 0, the C: drive) and reinstalled the OS. I left the other half of the mirror in as E: drive (D: is the DVD) so I could copy over needed files. the system shows both drives and reports they are degraded.

I'm pretty sure this was not the correct action now that I think about it, I suppose I should have replaced the bad drive then recovered the mirror or something like that, well too late for that, I needed the data right then and the steps I took got me the data.

I now want to remake the mirror, but like I said, I removed the bad drive, replaced it with a new one, and now have data on it I want to keep. Recovery is not an option (literally, its not there!) on the control panel , and even if it were the raid probably thinks the old drive is the 'good' one and the new drive the 'one to be replaced' which is not the case.

So I think I want to delete the array (but I have no idea if this will destroy any data because the help files makes no mention of this prospect) then I will have raid enabled in the BIOS but no raid array. then I want to make a mirror out the the two drives with drive C as the 'source', but I have no idea how to do that last part.

Alternatively I could Image the C: drive, make the array, and if all data is wiped out then what? How would I restore the image I made to an OS-less system? I would need to install an OS, then overwrite the mirror with my image? I just don;t see how this will work.

More ranting here...What is the point of raid that can't be recovered back to the raided state? Once there is failure, that's it, no more raid for you? Obviously I'm missing something, and it's proper documentation.

Rant over.

Posted 02/14/2012 03:03 PM   
Scroll To Top