Arkham City with a dedicated PPU leaves a lot to be desired
Sup guys. I purchased Arkham City when it launched and I played it about a quarter of the way through. I ended up taking a long break from it after that, as I started playing a few other games. Now that it's been patched for the DX11 bugs, I figured I'd fire it up again to finish what I started.

As my signature states, I'm running a single GTX 580 (825/1650/2100). I have the in-game settings pretty much maxed out (1920 x 1200 with DX11 enabled, high Tessellation, high PhysX, high FXAA) and it does lag a bit. It definitely performs much better than it did before the patch, but it seems that the PhysX features are causing a huge performance hit. I still have a GTX 480 laying around, so I decided to use it as a dedicated PhysX card for this game.

In Arkham Asylum, I saw a fairly nice boost with a dedicated PPU. This isn't the case with AC though. I only average 1FPS higher with the 480 installed, which is pitiful. The 480's usage never goes above 25%, which seems low considering the first game would push it to 40% and beyond at times.

Has anyone had a better experience than me in AC with a dedicated PPU? I'm very disappointed with what I'm seeing.
Sup guys. I purchased Arkham City when it launched and I played it about a quarter of the way through. I ended up taking a long break from it after that, as I started playing a few other games. Now that it's been patched for the DX11 bugs, I figured I'd fire it up again to finish what I started.



As my signature states, I'm running a single GTX 580 (825/1650/2100). I have the in-game settings pretty much maxed out (1920 x 1200 with DX11 enabled, high Tessellation, high PhysX, high FXAA) and it does lag a bit. It definitely performs much better than it did before the patch, but it seems that the PhysX features are causing a huge performance hit. I still have a GTX 480 laying around, so I decided to use it as a dedicated PhysX card for this game.



In Arkham Asylum, I saw a fairly nice boost with a dedicated PPU. This isn't the case with AC though. I only average 1FPS higher with the 480 installed, which is pitiful. The 480's usage never goes above 25%, which seems low considering the first game would push it to 40% and beyond at times.



Has anyone had a better experience than me in AC with a dedicated PPU? I'm very disappointed with what I'm seeing.

Corsair 800D full-tower case // Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H Rev 1.1 MOBO // Intel Core i7 4790K "Devil's Canyon" // Corsair H100i RGB Closed-Loop LC // 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 // Dual Nvidia-made GTX 970's in SLI with Nvidia LED bridge // Creative SB X-Fi Titanium // GSKILL RIPJAWS MX780 8200 DPI RGB gaming mouse // Corsair MM600 solid aircraft-grade aluminum mouse pad // GSKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical keyboard // Dual OCZ Vector 180 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 config // Silcon Power 240GB SSD // Dual WD Black 2TB Mechanical drives // Seagate Barracuda 4TB SSHD Hybrid drive // WD My Passport 256GB USB 3.1 Gen 2 External SSD // WD My Passport USB 3.0 2TB external hard drive // Seagate Barracuda USB 3.0 2TB external hard drive // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w PSU // LG 27UD69PW AH-IPS LED UHD 4K monitor // Dell Ultrasharp U2410 H-IPS calibrated monitor // Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sound system // TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Router // Logitech 1080p C922 Pro Stream Webcam with tri-pod // Windows 10 Pro 64-bit "Creators Update" build 15063 // Mobile hardware: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 64GB Black Smartphone running Android Nougat 7.0

#1
Posted 02/12/2012 02:52 PM   
Bump. Seriously, no one else has tried this?

I find that forcing TB with D3DOverrider has improved my performance to a level that's acceptable (could be better though). I'm getting a few CTD's every now and then though, although they are random and not very frequent. Mind you, I have DX11 enabled and everything maxed with high FXAA.

In some areas, I'm seeing a 10-15 fps gain by enabling TB... There is a bit of stuttering when I enter a new area though.
Bump. Seriously, no one else has tried this?



I find that forcing TB with D3DOverrider has improved my performance to a level that's acceptable (could be better though). I'm getting a few CTD's every now and then though, although they are random and not very frequent. Mind you, I have DX11 enabled and everything maxed with high FXAA.



In some areas, I'm seeing a 10-15 fps gain by enabling TB... There is a bit of stuttering when I enter a new area though.

Corsair 800D full-tower case // Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H Rev 1.1 MOBO // Intel Core i7 4790K "Devil's Canyon" // Corsair H100i RGB Closed-Loop LC // 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 // Dual Nvidia-made GTX 970's in SLI with Nvidia LED bridge // Creative SB X-Fi Titanium // GSKILL RIPJAWS MX780 8200 DPI RGB gaming mouse // Corsair MM600 solid aircraft-grade aluminum mouse pad // GSKILL RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical keyboard // Dual OCZ Vector 180 240GB SSD's in RAID 0 config // Silcon Power 240GB SSD // Dual WD Black 2TB Mechanical drives // Seagate Barracuda 4TB SSHD Hybrid drive // WD My Passport 256GB USB 3.1 Gen 2 External SSD // WD My Passport USB 3.0 2TB external hard drive // Seagate Barracuda USB 3.0 2TB external hard drive // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w PSU // LG 27UD69PW AH-IPS LED UHD 4K monitor // Dell Ultrasharp U2410 H-IPS calibrated monitor // Klipsch Promedia 2.1 sound system // TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 Router // Logitech 1080p C922 Pro Stream Webcam with tri-pod // Windows 10 Pro 64-bit "Creators Update" build 15063 // Mobile hardware: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 64GB Black Smartphone running Android Nougat 7.0

#2
Posted 02/14/2012 07:00 AM   
Scroll To Top