BIOS for nvidia 681i SLI motherboard
  1 / 3    
Hello, I have [url="http://www.nvidia.com/object/designed_by_nvidia_680i_sli.html"]this nforce 680i SLI motherboard[/url] (nvidia-branded as far as I can tell)
On nvidia's site I can find graphics and chipset drivers but I cannot find updates to my BIOS.

Currently I have Version: 6.00 PG of Phoenix Technologies' BIOS, Release Date: 01/22/2008

Can someone help me find updates (with release notes and list of supported CPU's) ?
Hello, I have this nforce 680i SLI motherboard (nvidia-branded as far as I can tell)

On nvidia's site I can find graphics and chipset drivers but I cannot find updates to my BIOS.

Currently I have Version: 6.00 PG of Phoenix Technologies' BIOS, Release Date: 01/22/2008

Can someone help me find updates (with release notes and list of supported CPU's) ?

Posted 02/12/2012 10:22 AM   
you get the latest bios release from the motherboard manufacturers web site. weather it is evga, msi asus, or whatever your board is.
you get the latest bios release from the motherboard manufacturers web site. weather it is evga, msi asus, or whatever your board is.

Posted 02/12/2012 12:29 PM   
tx for the quick reply but it looks like this is one of the so-called "reference design" boards built by nvidia themselves (linux dmidecode reports them as manufacturer), and I was not able to locate any bios download on nvidia support
tx for the quick reply but it looks like this is one of the so-called "reference design" boards built by nvidia themselves (linux dmidecode reports them as manufacturer), and I was not able to locate any bios download on nvidia support

Posted 02/12/2012 12:35 PM   
[quote name='flash 'n burn' date='12 February 2012 - 04:22 AM' timestamp='1329042175' post='1368360']
[/quote]

This is not a BIOS ID Version....This is a BIOS PROGRAM...When you post the motherboard, generally on the bottom of the screen there is something like (but with number and letters) xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx-xx.xx <---the last part identifies the version. This is normally on the same screen that id's the HDs / Opticals / Memory amount/ Press Esc to Enter BIOS.

Or you open the BIOS during post and you should find the ID inside if not identified outside.

But if its a Reference board, I would copy the system BIOS you have presently, and try flashing with an eVGA version.
[quote name='flash 'n burn' date='12 February 2012 - 04:22 AM' timestamp='1329042175' post='1368360']

This is not a BIOS ID Version....This is a BIOS PROGRAM...When you post the motherboard, generally on the bottom of the screen there is something like (but with number and letters) xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx-xx.xx <---the last part identifies the version. This is normally on the same screen that id's the HDs / Opticals / Memory amount/ Press Esc to Enter BIOS.

Or you open the BIOS during post and you should find the ID inside if not identified outside.

But if its a Reference board, I would copy the system BIOS you have presently, and try flashing with an eVGA version.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 02/12/2012 03:16 PM   
That does look exactly like the EVGA 680i A1. I should know because I owned that MOBO for two years. The latest BIOS version for that MOBO is [url="ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/NF68_P33.bin"][b]P33[/b][/url].
That does look exactly like the EVGA 680i A1. I should know because I owned that MOBO for two years. The latest BIOS version for that MOBO is P33.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/12/2012 03:32 PM   
Thanks folks for the pointers.

[quote name='Greybear' date='12 February 2012 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1329059783' post='1368440']
This is not a BIOS ID Version....This is a BIOS PROGRAM...[/quote]
Yes I suspected so but was too lazy to check properly. My LCD monitor is being over-protective and won't usualy synchronise and display anything until the boot loader has taken over.

Anyway what is displayed is the following:
[quote](6A61ITT3) Release Number 691N1P32
NVIDIA BIOS Version 2.053.B2

(then at the very bottomof the screen:)
01/22/2008-NFORCE-6A61ITT3C-00[/quote]
[quote name='Greybear' date='12 February 2012 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1329059783' post='1368440']
But if its a Reference board, I would copy the system BIOS you have presently, and try flashing with an eVGA version.[/quote]
That souinds a tad dangerous, doesn't it ?-) I found the PDF manual of the EVGA board and it looks a lot like mine indeed; yet assuming their BIOS is compatible is quite a leap... Or is this actually known to have worked for this particular combination?
Also, because of the aforementioned lcd problem, I don't get to see the message indicating what hotkey to use to enter the flash rom utility; is that perhaps always the same, and known to one of you for a Phoenix BIOS?

Tx again!
Thanks folks for the pointers.

This is not a BIOS ID Version....This is a BIOS PROGRAM...

Yes I suspected so but was too lazy to check properly. My LCD monitor is being over-protective and won't usualy synchronise and display anything until the boot loader has taken over.

Anyway what is displayed is the following:

(6A61ITT3) Release Number 691N1P32

NVIDIA BIOS Version 2.053.B2

(then at the very bottomof the screen:)

01/22/2008-NFORCE-6A61ITT3C-00

That souinds a tad dangerous, doesn't it ?-) I found the PDF manual of the EVGA board and it looks a lot like mine indeed; yet assuming their BIOS is compatible is quite a leap... Or is this actually known to have worked for this particular combination?

Also, because of the aforementioned lcd problem, I don't get to see the message indicating what hotkey to use to enter the flash rom utility; is that perhaps always the same, and known to one of you for a Phoenix BIOS?

Tx again!

Posted 02/12/2012 09:08 PM   
EVGA's 680i IS Nvidia's reference design. It's the same exact board. I can't see any reason why EVGA's BIOS updates wouldn't work.
EVGA's 680i IS Nvidia's reference design. It's the same exact board. I can't see any reason why EVGA's BIOS updates wouldn't work.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 02/12/2012 09:41 PM   
Get [b][url="http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html"]CPU-Z[/url][/b] (it's free) and look at the Mainboard tab. It will confirm who makes your board.
Get CPU-Z (it's free) and look at the Mainboard tab. It will confirm who makes your board.

Posted 02/12/2012 10:09 PM   
CPU-Z reports NVIDIA as mainboard manufacturer...
CPU-Z reports NVIDIA as mainboard manufacturer...

Posted 02/12/2012 11:48 PM   
Just an FYI since you asked. The newest CPU's that your motherboard supports are the Intel Core2 [i]Wolfdale[/i] dual-core models (E8xxx series). [i]Yorkfield[/i] quads are not supported (Q9xxx series) due to a last minute hardware change by Intel. If you want a quad-core CPU for that mobo, it'll have to be an older [i]Kentsfield[/i] model (like the Q6600 or the QX6800).
Just an FYI since you asked. The newest CPU's that your motherboard supports are the Intel Core2 Wolfdale dual-core models (E8xxx series). Yorkfield quads are not supported (Q9xxx series) due to a last minute hardware change by Intel. If you want a quad-core CPU for that mobo, it'll have to be an older Kentsfield model (like the Q6600 or the QX6800).

Posted 02/13/2012 12:17 AM   
Well like slamscaper says I'd try the EVGA BIOS. The boards are identical.
Well like slamscaper says I'd try the EVGA BIOS. The boards are identical.

Posted 02/13/2012 12:18 AM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='13 February 2012 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1329092259' post='1368641']
The newest CPU's that your motherboard supports are the Intel Core2 [i]Wolfdale[/i] dual-core models (E8xxx series). [/quote]
Thank you very much. I have an E8500 and all actually seems to work fine. My problem is I started using a 2TB disk (which has worked flawlessly for over a year on another system) and it is having weird "hiccups" (pauses/freezes) and generates some I/O errors (under linux at least). I thought the BIOS might be too old to properly support such capacity but I am not sure. I'll check if the EVGA BIOS release notes have anything explicit to say about this.
[quote name='slamscaper' date='13 February 2012 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1329092259' post='1368641']

The newest CPU's that your motherboard supports are the Intel Core2 Wolfdale dual-core models (E8xxx series).

Thank you very much. I have an E8500 and all actually seems to work fine. My problem is I started using a 2TB disk (which has worked flawlessly for over a year on another system) and it is having weird "hiccups" (pauses/freezes) and generates some I/O errors (under linux at least). I thought the BIOS might be too old to properly support such capacity but I am not sure. I'll check if the EVGA BIOS release notes have anything explicit to say about this.

Posted 02/13/2012 09:38 AM   
[quote name='flash 'n burn' date='13 February 2012 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1329125900' post='1368796']
[/quote]

Try swapping out the SATA cable for a new one. I can't tell you how many times a bad cable has caused similar issues for me (lost count). I just had to swap out the cable for one of my optical drives recently.

By the way, if your motherboard is truly a plain reference 680i board, it must have been configured by an OEM at some point (they're the ones that installed the first BIOS version). Did this MOBO come from a pre-built Alienware system, or some other OEM? If so, you would have to acquire the BIOS from the OEM as the ID's won't match if you attempt to flash with EVGA's BIOS.

Nvidia does not offer BIOS updates directly. They only offer them through AIB's like EVGA, Albatron, XFX (formerly), and BFG (formerly). That's the case with retail motherboards anyway. OEM systems that use Nvidia's reference boards are supported only by the OEM (as I explained above).
[quote name='flash 'n burn' date='13 February 2012 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1329125900' post='1368796']

Try swapping out the SATA cable for a new one. I can't tell you how many times a bad cable has caused similar issues for me (lost count). I just had to swap out the cable for one of my optical drives recently.

By the way, if your motherboard is truly a plain reference 680i board, it must have been configured by an OEM at some point (they're the ones that installed the first BIOS version). Did this MOBO come from a pre-built Alienware system, or some other OEM? If so, you would have to acquire the BIOS from the OEM as the ID's won't match if you attempt to flash with EVGA's BIOS.

Nvidia does not offer BIOS updates directly. They only offer them through AIB's like EVGA, Albatron, XFX (formerly), and BFG (formerly). That's the case with retail motherboards anyway. OEM systems that use Nvidia's reference boards are supported only by the OEM (as I explained above).

Posted 02/13/2012 11:54 AM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1329134047' post='1368820']
By the way, if your motherboard is truly a plain reference 680i board, it must have been configured by an OEM at some point (they're the ones that installed the first BIOS version). Did this MOBO come from a pre-built Alienware system, or some other OEM? If so, you would have to acquire the BIOS from the OEM as the ID's won't match if you attempt to flash with EVGA's BIOS. [/quote]
Slamscaper, I bought the system on ebay hence have no idea through what channel it was originally purchased. Both dmidecode and cpuz report nvidia as manufacturer. According to what you're saying it should be impossible to harm the computer as the ID check should prevent "forcing" an incompatible BIOS image, isn't it? Anyway I'll try the cable swap and better ventilation first.
[quote name='slamscaper' date='13 February 2012 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1329134047' post='1368820']

Slamscaper, I bought the system on ebay hence have no idea through what channel it was originally purchased. Both dmidecode and cpuz report nvidia as manufacturer. According to what you're saying it should be impossible to harm the computer as the ID check should prevent "forcing" an incompatible BIOS image, isn't it? Anyway I'll try the cable swap and better ventilation first.

Posted 02/13/2012 02:59 PM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 February 2012 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1329060743' post='1368445']That does look exactly like the EVGA 680i A1. I should know because I owned that MOBO for two years. The latest BIOS version for that MOBO is [url="ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/NF68_P33.bin"][b]P33[/b][/url].
[/quote]
Apparently the flash utility cannot find an image on a thumb-drive, so it had to wait til the week-end - I downloaded the ISO version of P33 from EVGA's site, which won't run and says [font="Courier New"][b]"The program file's part number does not match with your system"[/b][/font]
Oh, well. Meanwhile speedfan reports my core0 temp consistently just above 50°C, and my 7600GS at 55%C, while idle...
[quote name='slamscaper' date='12 February 2012 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1329060743' post='1368445']That does look exactly like the EVGA 680i A1. I should know because I owned that MOBO for two years. The latest BIOS version for that MOBO is P33.

Apparently the flash utility cannot find an image on a thumb-drive, so it had to wait til the week-end - I downloaded the ISO version of P33 from EVGA's site, which won't run and says "The program file's part number does not match with your system"

Oh, well. Meanwhile speedfan reports my core0 temp consistently just above 50°C, and my 7600GS at 55%C, while idle...

Posted 02/19/2012 12:40 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top