780i: Remove RAID driver (?)
I have the 780i, running Win7 64-bit off an SSD. When I originally installed Windows I did have RAID enabled to recover some data from my old RAID 0 array under XP. Once that was done I no longer use RAID and have it disabled in the BIOS. Further, I manually removed all the Nvidia related drivers under Storage Controllers and IDE/ATAPI, and replaced with the generic Microsoft drivers for TRIM support on the SSD.

So, to recap: no RAID in BIOS, and no Nvidia disk drivers as far as Device Manager is concerned.

But in Event Viewer I saw that something called NVRAIDSERVICE was still periodically polling for SMART info. I tracked down the SMART polling and the NVRAIDSERVICE to Media Shield. From that app I disabled the polling but nvraidservice.exe is still running. (What was really odd is the thing is called NVRAIDSERVICE yet it is not, in fact, one of the running Services.)

What I would like to do is remove any non-essential software & drivers, but I'm not sure which drivers that come with the nForce chipset package are required, versus additional ones that are only needed if you use the onboard RAID.

So can anyone tell me if Media Shield is required for normal (non-RAID) SATA/IDE operation? Maybe if someone is running Win7 on this mobo and who does not run RAID and has never run RAID confirm if MediaShield is required?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.
I have the 780i, running Win7 64-bit off an SSD. When I originally installed Windows I did have RAID enabled to recover some data from my old RAID 0 array under XP. Once that was done I no longer use RAID and have it disabled in the BIOS. Further, I manually removed all the Nvidia related drivers under Storage Controllers and IDE/ATAPI, and replaced with the generic Microsoft drivers for TRIM support on the SSD.

So, to recap: no RAID in BIOS, and no Nvidia disk drivers as far as Device Manager is concerned.

But in Event Viewer I saw that something called NVRAIDSERVICE was still periodically polling for SMART info. I tracked down the SMART polling and the NVRAIDSERVICE to Media Shield. From that app I disabled the polling but nvraidservice.exe is still running. (What was really odd is the thing is called NVRAIDSERVICE yet it is not, in fact, one of the running Services.)

What I would like to do is remove any non-essential software & drivers, but I'm not sure which drivers that come with the nForce chipset package are required, versus additional ones that are only needed if you use the onboard RAID.

So can anyone tell me if Media Shield is required for normal (non-RAID) SATA/IDE operation? Maybe if someone is running Win7 on this mobo and who does not run RAID and has never run RAID confirm if MediaShield is required?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Posted 02/12/2012 08:33 AM   
Nobody running this board any more? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
Nobody running this board any more? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Posted 02/15/2012 05:57 PM   
Scroll To Top