Starcraft 2 performance issues.
Hi! I'm new here, but I figured this seems liek the place this belongs.

So. I own a MSi Ge5620 which is equipped with the dastardly Nvidia 540m/Intel chipset (so the Optimus shenanigans). This seemed like a delightful option at purchase but has come to cause me some serious pains. I am an avid Starcraft 2 gamer, and bought this laptop specifically to play SC2 on. I don't much care for graphics being on high or ultra or whatever, I got used to playing on Low with my old laptop anyways. I just wanted a laptop that could kill this game at 60 FPS on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. The specs of this laptops seemed to fit the bill.

540m.
i7 2630QM.
8gb RAM.
7200 RPM HDD.

However... I don't know what caused it but like... somewhere along the way... the game just stopped being able to run basically. I wish now that I had been more diligent about noting when it happened or what I did to cause it but my computer has MASSIVE FPS drops now. Like... midgame, it will drop to 8FPS for minutes at a time, then blast back up to 60 FPS. This doesn't matter if I have it on all High settings on max res OR if I have it on Low at 1280x720. It still happens. I'm so confused and at wit's end here. I've gone into the Nvidia control panel, set them all to High Performace Processor, I've flashed my BIOS with the newest version, I've updated my GPU many times... I'm not sure where else to go with this.

I need help guys.

I run my laptop through my AOC F22 through an HDMI cable that connects to the DVI port of the monitor. I recently noticed this diagram:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/qvczW.png[/img]
Does that mean ANYTHING running through my HDMI cable is only going through my intel chipset? because that could be one plausible solution. I don't know how to change it but it could be some insight? I have run the most recent 540m drivers, but recently updated to the ones on the MSI Ge620 website thinking that they might help. They didn't.

Ummm... any other solutions? Thanks guys. If you help me through this, I will give you guys so many hugs.
Hi! I'm new here, but I figured this seems liek the place this belongs.

So. I own a MSi Ge5620 which is equipped with the dastardly Nvidia 540m/Intel chipset (so the Optimus shenanigans). This seemed like a delightful option at purchase but has come to cause me some serious pains. I am an avid Starcraft 2 gamer, and bought this laptop specifically to play SC2 on. I don't much care for graphics being on high or ultra or whatever, I got used to playing on Low with my old laptop anyways. I just wanted a laptop that could kill this game at 60 FPS on a 1920 x 1080 monitor. The specs of this laptops seemed to fit the bill.

540m.

i7 2630QM.

8gb RAM.

7200 RPM HDD.

However... I don't know what caused it but like... somewhere along the way... the game just stopped being able to run basically. I wish now that I had been more diligent about noting when it happened or what I did to cause it but my computer has MASSIVE FPS drops now. Like... midgame, it will drop to 8FPS for minutes at a time, then blast back up to 60 FPS. This doesn't matter if I have it on all High settings on max res OR if I have it on Low at 1280x720. It still happens. I'm so confused and at wit's end here. I've gone into the Nvidia control panel, set them all to High Performace Processor, I've flashed my BIOS with the newest version, I've updated my GPU many times... I'm not sure where else to go with this.

I need help guys.

I run my laptop through my AOC F22 through an HDMI cable that connects to the DVI port of the monitor. I recently noticed this diagram:

Does that mean ANYTHING running through my HDMI cable is only going through my intel chipset? because that could be one plausible solution. I don't know how to change it but it could be some insight? I have run the most recent 540m drivers, but recently updated to the ones on the MSI Ge620 website thinking that they might help. They didn't.

Ummm... any other solutions? Thanks guys. If you help me through this, I will give you guys so many hugs.

Posted 02/11/2012 11:25 PM   
Scroll To Top