GT 525M (can't change display adapter) Laptop doesn't recognize gc
Hello,

I have a problem with changing my display adapter in Windows 7 x86.

When I'm in "[b]Screen Resolution[/b]" under "[b]Display[/b]" there is only one item in drop down list: [i][b]1. Mobile PC Display[/b][/i]
When I'm in "[b]Device Manager[/b]" under "Display adapters" there are two items:

[i]*GeForce GT 525M[/i] and

[i]*Intel HD Graphics Family[/i]

In "[b]Advance Settings[/b]" when [i][b]1.Mobile PC Display[/b][/i] (one and only) is chosen I see:
- Total Available Graphics Memory: [b]1302 MB[/b]
- Dedicated Video Memory: [b]64 MB[/b] [b](is there a way to extend dedicated video memory?)[/b] [b]!!![/b]
- System Video Memory: 0 MB
- Shared System Memory: 1238 MB

This is what I see in [b]NVIDIA Control Panel[/b]..

[i]Display->Set up multiple displays[/i]:

1. I see only one display - [i]Intel(R) HD Graphics Family[/i] and "Laptop Display" is checked (1)
*Rigorous Display Detection doesn't detect anything.
2. And of course there is only number 1 display.

And my question is how to set [b]GT 525M[/b] to be my only and default display adapter? [i][b]*Windows 7 x86[/b][/i]

[u]Here are some of the options I've tried that didn't work:[/u]

- I tried to disable "Intel HD Graphics Family" display adapter and restarted.

- I tried to look in BIOS for some kind of Integrated GC to disable it..there is no one.

- I tried to update drivers for GT 525M - they are already up to date.

- Setting dual-boot with both Win7 x64 and Win7 x86 is not an option (I would like to make it work on x86).

And please send me some links to updates that I need to install.
Thanks.
Hello,

I have a problem with changing my display adapter in Windows 7 x86.

When I'm in "Screen Resolution" under "Display" there is only one item in drop down list: 1. Mobile PC Display

When I'm in "Device Manager" under "Display adapters" there are two items:

*GeForce GT 525M and

*Intel HD Graphics Family

In "Advance Settings" when 1.Mobile PC Display (one and only) is chosen I see:

- Total Available Graphics Memory: 1302 MB

- Dedicated Video Memory: 64 MB (is there a way to extend dedicated video memory?) !!!

- System Video Memory: 0 MB

- Shared System Memory: 1238 MB

This is what I see in NVIDIA Control Panel..

Display->Set up multiple displays:

1. I see only one display - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family and "Laptop Display" is checked (1)

*Rigorous Display Detection doesn't detect anything.

2. And of course there is only number 1 display.

And my question is how to set GT 525M to be my only and default display adapter? *Windows 7 x86

Here are some of the options I've tried that didn't work:

- I tried to disable "Intel HD Graphics Family" display adapter and restarted.

- I tried to look in BIOS for some kind of Integrated GC to disable it..there is no one.

- I tried to update drivers for GT 525M - they are already up to date.

- Setting dual-boot with both Win7 x64 and Win7 x86 is not an option (I would like to make it work on x86).

And please send me some links to updates that I need to install.

Thanks.

Posted 02/11/2012 11:53 AM   
If your BIOS doesn't support disabling the Intel IGP, then you will have to use it as the main output device (meaning you can't disable the Intel IGP because you will end up without a valid output), except on demanding apps that either automatically select the Nvidia GPU or when you manually add them to the programs list on the Nvidia Control Panel.
If your BIOS doesn't support disabling the Intel IGP, then you will have to use it as the main output device (meaning you can't disable the Intel IGP because you will end up without a valid output), except on demanding apps that either automatically select the Nvidia GPU or when you manually add them to the programs list on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Posted 02/11/2012 07:01 PM   
Ok, and is there any way to extend dedicated video memory?
(now it's only 64MB)
I can't install most of the new games with that much.

*sorry if I ask noob questions, maybe I just don't understand how it works.
Ok, and is there any way to extend dedicated video memory?

(now it's only 64MB)

I can't install most of the new games with that much.

*sorry if I ask noob questions, maybe I just don't understand how it works.

Posted 02/12/2012 12:45 AM   
Intel IGP memory dynamically adjusts itself, up to 1302MB in your case. You are gaming with the dedicated Nvidia GPU anyway, so even if it was possible to increase the dedicated Intel IGP memory, it would serve you no purpose since the memory runs at the same speed.

Add whatever game/app you want to run in the Program Settings on the Nvidia Control Panel and set your GT 525M as the default graphics adapter.
Intel IGP memory dynamically adjusts itself, up to 1302MB in your case. You are gaming with the dedicated Nvidia GPU anyway, so even if it was possible to increase the dedicated Intel IGP memory, it would serve you no purpose since the memory runs at the same speed.

Add whatever game/app you want to run in the Program Settings on the Nvidia Control Panel and set your GT 525M as the default graphics adapter.

Posted 02/12/2012 02:05 AM   
That's the problem exactly. [u]I can't set GT 525M as default graphics adapter[/u] (I commented in my first post about that).
The game I'm trying to run is PES 2011 and in game specs it says I have only 64MB of VRAM (and red box "[b]UNABLE[/b]" is next to it) and for GPU it says Intel HD Graphics Family (not GT 525M) and also "[b]UNABLE[/b]" next to it.

I've [b]attached an example[/b]. Of course the specs are different and last two (GPU and VRAM are "UNABLE").

[quote]Add whatever game/app you want to run in the Program Settings on the Nvidia Control Panel and set your GT 525M as the default graphics adapter.[/quote]

I don't see that option in NVIDIA Control Panel to add the game I want to run, where is it?
Thanks.

EDIT:
Is it possible that my laptop is using both [b]GeForce GT 525M and Intel HD Graphics Family[/b] and that combination is called only Intel Graphics Family (or Mobile PC Display)?
That's the problem exactly. I can't set GT 525M as default graphics adapter (I commented in my first post about that).

The game I'm trying to run is PES 2011 and in game specs it says I have only 64MB of VRAM (and red box "UNABLE" is next to it) and for GPU it says Intel HD Graphics Family (not GT 525M) and also "UNABLE" next to it.

I've attached an example. Of course the specs are different and last two (GPU and VRAM are "UNABLE").

I don't see that option in NVIDIA Control Panel to add the game I want to run, where is it?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Is it possible that my laptop is using both GeForce GT 525M and Intel HD Graphics Family and that combination is called only Intel Graphics Family (or Mobile PC Display)?

Posted 02/12/2012 01:03 PM   
Right click on the game shortcut and select the GT 525M as the default graphics adapter.

On Optimus enabled systems, the Windows graphics adapter used is always the Intel IGP, but you can select the Nvidia GPU for games/apps.

Intel Graphics Family is just a name for the Intel HD2000/3000 IGP, and no, it either uses the IGP or the GPU.

Go to Manage 3D settings and you will find what I'm talking about on the second tab, Program Settings.
Right click on the game shortcut and select the GT 525M as the default graphics adapter.

On Optimus enabled systems, the Windows graphics adapter used is always the Intel IGP, but you can select the Nvidia GPU for games/apps.

Intel Graphics Family is just a name for the Intel HD2000/3000 IGP, and no, it either uses the IGP or the GPU.

Go to Manage 3D settings and you will find what I'm talking about on the second tab, Program Settings.

Posted 02/12/2012 07:32 PM   
Everything is clear now.
Didn't know about Optimus tech and "trade-off" between high GPU performance and low battery usage.
When is needed, GT 525M is used, and that's the only thing that matters to me.

Thanks a lot tribaljet for your patience, time and solution in the end! :)
Everything is clear now.

Didn't know about Optimus tech and "trade-off" between high GPU performance and low battery usage.

When is needed, GT 525M is used, and that's the only thing that matters to me.

Thanks a lot tribaljet for your patience, time and solution in the end! :)

Posted 02/12/2012 11:28 PM   
Glad to hear you got around it.

Hope you enjoy your new system :)
Glad to hear you got around it.

Hope you enjoy your new system :)

Posted 02/13/2012 12:09 AM   
Scroll To Top