Geforce GT 525M Driver
Hi there,

I have a DEll inspiron N7110 with dedicated Geforce GT 525M and have a driver problem. Whatever driver I'm using, my GPU clock is always at high performance and doesn't clock itself down when idle (e.g. [b]when I'm in desktop only my integrated GPU is used, but dedicated GPU is still in high performance, even without load.[/b])

I tried R270, R275, R280, R285 WHQL drivers and the driver form DELL support site, buy had the same problem.

Currently I have the BETA 295.51 Verde driver installed, where the problem also occurs.

The odd thing is whenever I'm running GPU-Z 0.5.8, everything works fine and GPU clock goes down when idle and goes up when used in games.
I also need to check "Continue refreshing the screen while GPU-Z is in the background" , otherwise, minimizing GPU-Z brings up the problem again.

Previously I had the BETA R290 driver installed, but on startup, Windows 7 had slow and laggy animations, HOWEVER my GPU clock went down to about 200Mhz when it was idle.

I'd appreciate any solutions or suggestions.
Hi there,

I have a DEll inspiron N7110 with dedicated Geforce GT 525M and have a driver problem. Whatever driver I'm using, my GPU clock is always at high performance and doesn't clock itself down when idle (e.g. when I'm in desktop only my integrated GPU is used, but dedicated GPU is still in high performance, even without load.)

I tried R270, R275, R280, R285 WHQL drivers and the driver form DELL support site, buy had the same problem.

Currently I have the BETA 295.51 Verde driver installed, where the problem also occurs.

The odd thing is whenever I'm running GPU-Z 0.5.8, everything works fine and GPU clock goes down when idle and goes up when used in games.

I also need to check "Continue refreshing the screen while GPU-Z is in the background" , otherwise, minimizing GPU-Z brings up the problem again.

Previously I had the BETA R290 driver installed, but on startup, Windows 7 had slow and laggy animations, HOWEVER my GPU clock went down to about 200Mhz when it was idle.

Posted 02/08/2012 10:57 PM   
[quote name='diddy-f santos' date='08 February 2012 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1328741843' post='1367092']
Hi there,

I have a DEll inspiron N7110 with dedicated Geforce GT 525M and have a driver problem. Whatever driver I'm using, my GPU clock is always at high performance and doesn't clock itself down when idle (e.g. [b]when I'm in desktop only my integrated GPU is used, but dedicated GPU is still in high performance, even without load.[/b])

[/quote]

Its hard to say if what you're seeing is an expected behavior or a driver bug. If dynamic clocking was working fine with the original shipping driver and now it does not, then I'd agree that its driver issue. Has this always been an issue since you owned the laptop?

To clarify, did you have this problem with the original GPU driver that was shipped with the laptop? If not, what version is it?
[quote name='diddy-f santos' date='08 February 2012 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1328741843' post='1367092']

Hi there,

I have a DEll inspiron N7110 with dedicated Geforce GT 525M and have a driver problem. Whatever driver I'm using, my GPU clock is always at high performance and doesn't clock itself down when idle (e.g. when I'm in desktop only my integrated GPU is used, but dedicated GPU is still in high performance, even without load.)

Its hard to say if what you're seeing is an expected behavior or a driver bug. If dynamic clocking was working fine with the original shipping driver and now it does not, then I'd agree that its driver issue. Has this always been an issue since you owned the laptop?

To clarify, did you have this problem with the original GPU driver that was shipped with the laptop? If not, what version is it?

NVIDIA Techical Support

Posted 02/09/2012 11:51 PM   
First off thanks for replying,

When my laptop was shipped, it had the 260.30 driver installed, however for some demanding programs the GPU didn't switch to the dedicated one (Optimus issue).
This issue was fixed, as I updated the driver to R270.

I also wanted to know, in the normal case, does the GPU have to clock itself down when idle?

Could this be a problem in the Windows registry, even though I completely removed old drivers including running DriverCleaner (in Safe Mode) and doing Clean install.

And also, because of the constant max clock, my GPU's temp is (about 10 degrees) higher than usual when idle.

I also recognized some odd behavior, e.g. when running a game (in this case Pro Evolution Soccer 2012) and minimizing it, so I'd see the desktop, the GPU clock goes down and when returning to the game it goes up again, which correct. However it's still not doing it when I'm in desktop. It seems that GPU dynamic clock gets only activated, when there's load on GPU memory.

I'd appreciate any further suggestions.
First off thanks for replying,

When my laptop was shipped, it had the 260.30 driver installed, however for some demanding programs the GPU didn't switch to the dedicated one (Optimus issue).

This issue was fixed, as I updated the driver to R270.

I also wanted to know, in the normal case, does the GPU have to clock itself down when idle?

Could this be a problem in the Windows registry, even though I completely removed old drivers including running DriverCleaner (in Safe Mode) and doing Clean install.

And also, because of the constant max clock, my GPU's temp is (about 10 degrees) higher than usual when idle.

I also recognized some odd behavior, e.g. when running a game (in this case Pro Evolution Soccer 2012) and minimizing it, so I'd see the desktop, the GPU clock goes down and when returning to the game it goes up again, which correct. However it's still not doing it when I'm in desktop. It seems that GPU dynamic clock gets only activated, when there's load on GPU memory.

I'd appreciate any further suggestions.

Posted 02/10/2012 03:50 AM   
same problem here
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=224002

Posted 03/21/2012 03:22 PM   
Hello everyone, I'm new here, when I'm searching for this problem i thought that it is only in my computer, i have a DELL Inspiron n5110 with Geforce GT 525M, my first nVidia driver was working fine, but since i have updated to 295.73 and also to 296.10 the nVidia card does not shut down even in battery. I have tested many drivers but the only one that worked very fine is 285.62, it activate the nVidia card automatically when I launch a game or a 3D application without any configuration in nVidia panel and it is desactivated when I'm just surfing, believe me it is the best driver at least for nVidia GT525M in this laptop, I don't know if it will work for you but, test it to know /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> .
Hello everyone, I'm new here, when I'm searching for this problem i thought that it is only in my computer, i have a DELL Inspiron n5110 with Geforce GT 525M, my first nVidia driver was working fine, but since i have updated to 295.73 and also to 296.10 the nVidia card does not shut down even in battery. I have tested many drivers but the only one that worked very fine is 285.62, it activate the nVidia card automatically when I launch a game or a 3D application without any configuration in nVidia panel and it is desactivated when I'm just surfing, believe me it is the best driver at least for nVidia GT525M in this laptop, I don't know if it will work for you but, test it to know /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' /> .

Posted 04/10/2012 11:44 AM   
Scroll To Top