Suggestion: NVIDIA Driver Manager An application that can handle multiple driver-builds
I couldn't find a Suggestions subforum so I am posting here...

Installing drivers for NVIDIA cards are a tedious process for someone like me; mainly because I have an old card, can't upgrade my laptop any further, and more recent drivers aren't entirely compatible. There is also the issue where, if a driver doesn't work with your system, you can spend hours reinstalling old ones. On my card (a GeForce 9800M GTX 1GB SLI), the auto-update has NEVER even worked!

This is why I'd like to suggest an idea called [b]NVIDIA Driver Manager[/b]. Instead of always downloading a new installer every time, this application would work two ways:

1) The manager would download only specific driver files from NVIDIA's servers related to 3D Vision, PhysX, CUDA, etc.
2) It would keep these files stored as usual by their build-number, but users could choose between them as part of a list, simply deactivating the existing driver and then applying the selected profile.

The manager itself would be very similar to a hardware feature being made for new motherboards; a component that keeps up to three BIOS-setting configurations stored, so users can easily switch between them. It would also be very useful for IT professionals to test out a driver for stability first with little or no fuss, rather than forcing people to rollback to an old driver, because the new one creates system conflicts.
I couldn't find a Suggestions subforum so I am posting here...

Installing drivers for NVIDIA cards are a tedious process for someone like me; mainly because I have an old card, can't upgrade my laptop any further, and more recent drivers aren't entirely compatible. There is also the issue where, if a driver doesn't work with your system, you can spend hours reinstalling old ones. On my card (a GeForce 9800M GTX 1GB SLI), the auto-update has NEVER even worked!

This is why I'd like to suggest an idea called NVIDIA Driver Manager. Instead of always downloading a new installer every time, this application would work two ways:

1) The manager would download only specific driver files from NVIDIA's servers related to 3D Vision, PhysX, CUDA, etc.

2) It would keep these files stored as usual by their build-number, but users could choose between them as part of a list, simply deactivating the existing driver and then applying the selected profile.

The manager itself would be very similar to a hardware feature being made for new motherboards; a component that keeps up to three BIOS-setting configurations stored, so users can easily switch between them. It would also be very useful for IT professionals to test out a driver for stability first with little or no fuss, rather than forcing people to rollback to an old driver, because the new one creates system conflicts.

Hyncharas: - Quadro TAC Advisor, Dell Community Rockstar
* Core2 Duo X9000 2.8GHz, Win7 Ult. SP1 64-Bit, Avast IS 7, GeForce 9800M GTX SLI, 8GB RAM (Primary)
* Core2 Duo X7900 2.0GHz, Win 7 Ult. SP1 32-Bit, Norton IS, GeForce 9800M GTX SLI, 4GB RAM (Secondary)

Posted 02/08/2012 07:33 PM   
This is a public forum, Nvidia is not reading it, send them a message directly.
This is a public forum, Nvidia is not reading it, send them a message directly.

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 02/08/2012 07:43 PM   
Wow, after searching for contact details, they only do post.

I guess I'll send them a letter and they'll say "we'll take it under advisement", and then never it'll never come to fruition.
Wow, after searching for contact details, they only do post.

I guess I'll send them a letter and they'll say "we'll take it under advisement", and then never it'll never come to fruition.

Hyncharas: - Quadro TAC Advisor, Dell Community Rockstar
* Core2 Duo X9000 2.8GHz, Win7 Ult. SP1 64-Bit, Avast IS 7, GeForce 9800M GTX SLI, 8GB RAM (Primary)
* Core2 Duo X7900 2.0GHz, Win 7 Ult. SP1 32-Bit, Norton IS, GeForce 9800M GTX SLI, 4GB RAM (Secondary)

Posted 02/08/2012 07:48 PM   
It sounds like it could be useful from a end user standpoint, but also sounds like it could result in many many many issues resulting from mix and matching different components from different driver builds. Which would also increase our QA's testing matrix 100x, which would in turn delay driver releases exponentially.

I can mention the idea to the UI team to see if there is something else along the same lines that could be implemented but, the way its described above sounds like a nightmare as far as troubleshooting goes /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />
It sounds like it could be useful from a end user standpoint, but also sounds like it could result in many many many issues resulting from mix and matching different components from different driver builds. Which would also increase our QA's testing matrix 100x, which would in turn delay driver releases exponentially.

I can mention the idea to the UI team to see if there is something else along the same lines that could be implemented but, the way its described above sounds like a nightmare as far as troubleshooting goes /sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/13/2012 11:39 PM   
Scroll To Top