Graphics card overheating? Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
For the past few months, I've been experiencing seemingly random computer freezes. Sometimes it happened once a week, then once every 2 weeks, then once a day for three or four days in a row. I'm on a Windows 7 premium edition 64-bit, with two harddrives, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT video card, 8 GB Ram, AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz, with Windows Experience Index rating of 5.9

The last several times, I noticed these freezes happened when I was playing graphic-intensive games while listening to youtube videos. I set the graphics levels as low as possible with these games but my computer still froze.

Then tonight, I experienced two unique freezes, happening virtually identically. While playing a game on low settings (Empire Total War. My computer and graphics card can handle the game on highest settings.) the computer suddenly started to slow down, the sound coming out sluggish, with a thick static monotone to it. After a few seconds of this, with my keyboard and mouse clicking unresponsive, the sound would cut off entirely, and I would have to restart.

The second time this happened, the sound would continue playing if I pressed my power button without holding it down, but my mouse and keyboard still failed to respond.

Then the computer froze a third time as I was opening up multiple Internet Explorer windows.

When loading my computer during this problem, occasionally a series of pale blue vertical lines would appear on my monitor, spaced a few inches apart. When I tried loading my desktop one time, after the desktop picture loaded fine, the entire screen suddenly turned into different shades of yellow pixels, like pixelated scrambled eggs. My mouse cursor could move, but I couldn't do anything.

Then I check my GPU's temperature with EVGA Precision. The standing temperature is steady at 67 degrees C, with 0 - 5% GPU usage. This is definitely higher than normal, especially with my computer case being very large and loaded with many fans.

I tried to describe the effects in as much detail as possible. Can anyone help me or answer me as to what is causing this? Is this simply the graphics card overheating? (it does tend to get slightly hot in this room at night) Or is this some defense mechanism by the card or computer? Or is it something more serious?
For the past few months, I've been experiencing seemingly random computer freezes. Sometimes it happened once a week, then once every 2 weeks, then once a day for three or four days in a row. I'm on a Windows 7 premium edition 64-bit, with two harddrives, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT video card, 8 GB Ram, AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz, with Windows Experience Index rating of 5.9

The last several times, I noticed these freezes happened when I was playing graphic-intensive games while listening to youtube videos. I set the graphics levels as low as possible with these games but my computer still froze.

Then tonight, I experienced two unique freezes, happening virtually identically. While playing a game on low settings (Empire Total War. My computer and graphics card can handle the game on highest settings.) the computer suddenly started to slow down, the sound coming out sluggish, with a thick static monotone to it. After a few seconds of this, with my keyboard and mouse clicking unresponsive, the sound would cut off entirely, and I would have to restart.

The second time this happened, the sound would continue playing if I pressed my power button without holding it down, but my mouse and keyboard still failed to respond.

Then the computer froze a third time as I was opening up multiple Internet Explorer windows.

When loading my computer during this problem, occasionally a series of pale blue vertical lines would appear on my monitor, spaced a few inches apart. When I tried loading my desktop one time, after the desktop picture loaded fine, the entire screen suddenly turned into different shades of yellow pixels, like pixelated scrambled eggs. My mouse cursor could move, but I couldn't do anything.

Then I check my GPU's temperature with EVGA Precision. The standing temperature is steady at 67 degrees C, with 0 - 5% GPU usage. This is definitely higher than normal, especially with my computer case being very large and loaded with many fans.

I tried to describe the effects in as much detail as possible. Can anyone help me or answer me as to what is causing this? Is this simply the graphics card overheating? (it does tend to get slightly hot in this room at night) Or is this some defense mechanism by the card or computer? Or is it something more serious?

Posted 02/08/2012 05:32 AM   
[quote name='BakedPotato' date='08 February 2012 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1328679144' post='1366727']

[/quote]

67 degrees is far too warm for idle - recommend using some compressed air to blow dust out of the graphics card, as there can be substantial built-up over time. Also check your case airflow and make sure there is no excessive dust in the system.

Unfortunately the blue lines and other graphical glitches you mentioned can be the sign of a failing graphics card, however equally could be components on the card overheating, so try some dusting first. What driver version are you running, and the rest of the system specs?

J
[quote name='BakedPotato' date='08 February 2012 - 05:32 AM' timestamp='1328679144' post='1366727']

67 degrees is far too warm for idle - recommend using some compressed air to blow dust out of the graphics card, as there can be substantial built-up over time. Also check your case airflow and make sure there is no excessive dust in the system.

Unfortunately the blue lines and other graphical glitches you mentioned can be the sign of a failing graphics card, however equally could be components on the card overheating, so try some dusting first. What driver version are you running, and the rest of the system specs?

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Currently on top of the 3DMark FireStrike Ultra leaderboard: nVIDIASLiRig

Minima: Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87, Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x Intel 730k 480GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, GTX Titan X, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Maxima: Corsair Obsidian 750D, Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67, Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.60GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator GT 8GB (2x4GB) @ 2133MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 2-way SLI GTX 980, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2, Windows 7 64bit.

Asus ROG Swift PG278Q monitor, Logitech G9X mouse, Corsair Vengeance keyboard.

Community Moderator - not employed by NVIDIA. Feel free to PM me if I don't follow-up on a thread that I have responded to.

Posted 02/08/2012 08:31 AM   
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='08 February 2012 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1328689898' post='1366777']

J
[/quote]

of my Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, my driver version is 8.17.12.7533. I dont know what other system specs you need

EDIT: I gave my computer a thorough dust cleaning with compressed air. It's a hell of a lot quieter now, but the idle temperature now lingers between 58 and 64 degrees C, boosting to 64-65 when I open several Explorer windows.

EDIT: I tried opening Empire Total War again, and the exact same issue happened; this time the screen flickered a bit, then it froze. Restarting, the vertical blue lines appeared as the computer re-started.

EDIEDIT: Well,I think the graphic card is dead... It randomly froze up even without opening a game up. I removed it and let my default video chip take over for now. Also, the EVGA Precision thing is still registering a GPU temperature, exactly the same as the video card, though without fan speed. Is it tracking the old video chip now?
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='08 February 2012 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1328689898' post='1366777']

J

of my Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, my driver version is 8.17.12.7533. I dont know what other system specs you need

EDIT: I gave my computer a thorough dust cleaning with compressed air. It's a hell of a lot quieter now, but the idle temperature now lingers between 58 and 64 degrees C, boosting to 64-65 when I open several Explorer windows.

EDIT: I tried opening Empire Total War again, and the exact same issue happened; this time the screen flickered a bit, then it froze. Restarting, the vertical blue lines appeared as the computer re-started.

EDIEDIT: Well,I think the graphic card is dead... It randomly froze up even without opening a game up. I removed it and let my default video chip take over for now. Also, the EVGA Precision thing is still registering a GPU temperature, exactly the same as the video card, though without fan speed. Is it tracking the old video chip now?

Posted 02/08/2012 05:36 PM   
Scroll To Top