Is 8400 GS actually better ? Card Question
Greetings everyone,

I'm new here and made this account to hopefully get some solid answers to one particular question. I openly admit that I am [b][i]NO[/i][/b] gaming / hardware expert. I have grasped only the basics to be honest.

Anyone reading this is totally free to burst out laughing at my system specs /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> ....I do...regularly lol.This old desktop is all I have, and all I can afford right now though.

Dell Dimension 4600 (Desktop bought in 2004)

Windows XP 32 bit
P4 with HT 3.0 GHz
3GB RAM
GeForce 7600 GT AGP card with 256 MB RAM (using Nvidia System Tools set to "find optimal")

I have standard PCI slots available ([i][b]NOT[/b][/i] PCI-E). I have chatted briefly to Nvidia Live Support who tell me that I can run a GeForce 8400 GS PCI in my system fairly happily. But before I go out and buy one, my question is this : Is it going to improve things significantly enough for it to actually be worth me buying a 8400 GS ?

Of course I cannot run the more recent games, even though I have been playing Skyrim on the lowest settings and (amidst regular freezes, crashes and problems) managed to get my Nord to level 55. I can run Oblivion perfectly, but I am [b][i]SO[/i][/b] determined to play Skyrim and get the best I can possibly achieve from this old system.

If anyone out there has any advice, pointers or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

Like I said, my basic question is : will a 8400 GS PCI outperform my 7600 GT AGP ? If so, I will surely buy one immediately because I'm such a Skyrim addict /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

Thanks guys

Happy Gaming /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />
Greetings everyone,

I'm new here and made this account to hopefully get some solid answers to one particular question. I openly admit that I am NO gaming / hardware expert. I have grasped only the basics to be honest.

Anyone reading this is totally free to burst out laughing at my system specs /yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' /> ....I do...regularly lol.This old desktop is all I have, and all I can afford right now though.

Dell Dimension 4600 (Desktop bought in 2004)

Windows XP 32 bit

P4 with HT 3.0 GHz

3GB RAM

GeForce 7600 GT AGP card with 256 MB RAM (using Nvidia System Tools set to "find optimal")

I have standard PCI slots available (NOT PCI-E). I have chatted briefly to Nvidia Live Support who tell me that I can run a GeForce 8400 GS PCI in my system fairly happily. But before I go out and buy one, my question is this : Is it going to improve things significantly enough for it to actually be worth me buying a 8400 GS ?

Of course I cannot run the more recent games, even though I have been playing Skyrim on the lowest settings and (amidst regular freezes, crashes and problems) managed to get my Nord to level 55. I can run Oblivion perfectly, but I am SO determined to play Skyrim and get the best I can possibly achieve from this old system.

If anyone out there has any advice, pointers or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

Like I said, my basic question is : will a 8400 GS PCI outperform my 7600 GT AGP ? If so, I will surely buy one immediately because I'm such a Skyrim addict /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

Thanks guys

Happy Gaming /heart.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':heart:' />

Posted 02/06/2012 02:43 PM   
A 8400GS is inferior to a 7600GT by quite a bit. The increased feature set you get from an 8 series card is offset by the fact that a 8400GS is too low end to have enough performance that enables you to use it.

If you don't want to get a more powerful AGP card for your system, you can get a Geforce GT430 PCI (not PCIe), and that would give you quite a performance increase, especially for shader intensive games like Skyrim.
A 8400GS is inferior to a 7600GT by quite a bit. The increased feature set you get from an 8 series card is offset by the fact that a 8400GS is too low end to have enough performance that enables you to use it.

If you don't want to get a more powerful AGP card for your system, you can get a Geforce GT430 PCI (not PCIe), and that would give you quite a performance increase, especially for shader intensive games like Skyrim.

Posted 02/06/2012 08:07 PM   
[quote name='tribaljet' date='06 February 2012 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1328558860' post='1366066']

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Live Support again and this time they more or less agreed that the performance increase from a 8400 GS is negligible at best. It seems those guys have very differing answers to the same question. One says it's a definite bonus to buy that card, another will say it really isn't and that ideally I should seriously consider getting a new motherboard with a PCI-e connection, therefore allowing me access to better and indeed cheaper cards. Of course I agree with him but was simply trying to get the absolute best out of this machine before it unavoidably has it's day.

The last tech guy I spoke to though did tell me that the Geforce GT430 is simply not available in PCI standard and is only available in PCI-e, so if you do know where I could get one of those, please do send me a link or something. I have searched for one, but I just can't find any out there at all on various sites. They're all PCI-e.

As for me asking him about getting a higher AGP card, I'm sure the guy fell off his chair. He didn't even dress up his reply and told me simply not to bother even going there, as I would find NOTHING out there that would improve anything for me. He did say though that the highest AGP card I'd ever really get was some 6 series thing, which clearly isn't true seeing as I'm running this 7600 GT AGP right now. So he was wrong about that anyway.

I think that, with all the conflicting information, I'll just forget it and live with it until I can afford a totally new machine that at least resembles something current lol.

Again, thanks for your reply though /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong section. Cheers.
[quote name='tribaljet' date='06 February 2012 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1328558860' post='1366066']

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to Live Support again and this time they more or less agreed that the performance increase from a 8400 GS is negligible at best. It seems those guys have very differing answers to the same question. One says it's a definite bonus to buy that card, another will say it really isn't and that ideally I should seriously consider getting a new motherboard with a PCI-e connection, therefore allowing me access to better and indeed cheaper cards. Of course I agree with him but was simply trying to get the absolute best out of this machine before it unavoidably has it's day.

The last tech guy I spoke to though did tell me that the Geforce GT430 is simply not available in PCI standard and is only available in PCI-e, so if you do know where I could get one of those, please do send me a link or something. I have searched for one, but I just can't find any out there at all on various sites. They're all PCI-e.

As for me asking him about getting a higher AGP card, I'm sure the guy fell off his chair. He didn't even dress up his reply and told me simply not to bother even going there, as I would find NOTHING out there that would improve anything for me. He did say though that the highest AGP card I'd ever really get was some 6 series thing, which clearly isn't true seeing as I'm running this 7600 GT AGP right now. So he was wrong about that anyway.

I think that, with all the conflicting information, I'll just forget it and live with it until I can afford a totally new machine that at least resembles something current lol.

Again, thanks for your reply though /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Posted 02/07/2012 10:18 PM   
[quote name='Cloak Engaged' date='07 February 2012 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1328653105' post='1366586']

[/quote] You can buy a AGP ATI 3850 card ,that would really help with SKYRIM .
[quote name='Cloak Engaged' date='07 February 2012 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1328653105' post='1366586']

You can buy a AGP ATI 3850 card ,that would really help with SKYRIM .

Posted 03/13/2012 08:18 PM   
I admire someone who wants their old PCs to play newer games.... Lol i remember when i tried to get windows 95 games to play on vista....Happy days ...and vice versa lol
I admire someone who wants their old PCs to play newer games.... Lol i remember when i tried to get windows 95 games to play on vista....Happy days ...and vice versa lol

Posted 07/02/2012 06:11 PM   
Scroll To Top