Connecting three monitors best gpu choice?
Greetings!

I currently run a two monitors setup with an ATI5770. I just upgraded to a new machine (see specs on signature)
and I am pondering on getting an NVIDIA card (main reason for such is that ATI cards are MONSTERS at the moment
and I wanted to use a particular chassis that couldn't allow those beastly ******).

Also I want to add a third monitor for working purposes.
And I want to run the latest games (Guildwars 2 soon to be for example) at max visual specs with (preferably)
steady/good FPS (60fps right?).

I can see that the 590 has 3 DVI entrances so I would assume three monitors would work fine.
But is that the best choice? Is the 590 the only graphic that alone can take 3 monitors?
I can see the 580 has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI... does that mean it can take 3 monitors as well?
The resolutions for each would be 1920x1080p.

I just wonder what is the best price/performance. I have heard wonders of the 580 but also the 570 overclocked
seems to do pretty well.

I don't want to go SLI because the other PCIe slot of my Sabertooth P67 is used by the Soundcard and also I think
that I don't need SLI... do I? I mean it's super crazy but a bit overkill xD

Also I guess that if I SLI two graphic cards on which each supports two monitors would still only support two monitors right?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings!

I currently run a two monitors setup with an ATI5770. I just upgraded to a new machine (see specs on signature)

and I am pondering on getting an NVIDIA card (main reason for such is that ATI cards are MONSTERS at the moment

and I wanted to use a particular chassis that couldn't allow those beastly ******).

And I want to run the latest games (Guildwars 2 soon to be for example) at max visual specs with (preferably)

I can see that the 590 has 3 DVI entrances so I would assume three monitors would work fine.

But is that the best choice? Is the 590 the only graphic that alone can take 3 monitors?

I can see the 580 has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI... does that mean it can take 3 monitors as well?

I just wonder what is the best price/performance. I have heard wonders of the 580 but also the 570 overclocked

seems to do pretty well.

I don't want to go SLI because the other PCIe slot of my Sabertooth P67 is used by the Soundcard and also I think

Also I guess that if I SLI two graphic cards on which each supports two monitors would still only support two monitors right?

Thanks in advance!

Saberli7 OC

Chassis: Lian Li PC-X500FX

MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth P67

CPU: Intel i7 2700K [3.5 GHz] OCed [4.1 GHz]

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 (no OC)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 MHz

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Cooler (CPU): Antec H2O

Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX 7.1

Headphones: Sennheiser RS180

Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012ED

Mousepad: Razer Scarab

Keyboard: Logitech K800

Posted 02/04/2012 07:16 PM   
[quote name='morunas' date='04 February 2012 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1328383005' post='1365158']
Greetings!

seems to do pretty well.

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Generally speaking, GeForce GPUs only support up to two monitors. There are some graphics cards which will support more than two monitors because they have two GPUs in them, such as the GTX 590.

The other way to support more than two monitors with GeForce graphics cards would be to use two in SLI. In this case you would connect two monitors to one card and the third monitor to the other. The GTX 590 is effectively just SLI on a single card - I highly recommend the thread linked in my signature if you want to know more about SLI.

SLI can be overkill, but if you are gaming at high resolution or across multiple displays then it is definitely worthwhile. If the third screen is only for basic tasks though, you may be better off with a single powerful GPU for the first two screens (GTX 570/580) and then a simple card like the GeForce 210 for the third screen - as both cards use the same driver set they should install together okay.

I personally have three-way SLI GTX 570s, which is a monstrously powerful setup. Not sure I could go back to a single card anymore :)

J
[quote name='morunas' date='04 February 2012 - 07:16 PM' timestamp='1328383005' post='1365158']

Greetings!

seems to do pretty well.

Thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, GeForce GPUs only support up to two monitors. There are some graphics cards which will support more than two monitors because they have two GPUs in them, such as the GTX 590.

The other way to support more than two monitors with GeForce graphics cards would be to use two in SLI. In this case you would connect two monitors to one card and the third monitor to the other. The GTX 590 is effectively just SLI on a single card - I highly recommend the thread linked in my signature if you want to know more about SLI.

SLI can be overkill, but if you are gaming at high resolution or across multiple displays then it is definitely worthwhile. If the third screen is only for basic tasks though, you may be better off with a single powerful GPU for the first two screens (GTX 570/580) and then a simple card like the GeForce 210 for the third screen - as both cards use the same driver set they should install together okay.

I personally have three-way SLI GTX 570s, which is a monstrously powerful setup. Not sure I could go back to a single card anymore :)

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 02/14/2012 04:34 PM   
Thanks so much for the feedback :)

Well when I work it becomes helpful to have three monitors but when I
game I only game in 1 monitor and am just derping on the others (forums,
youtube, skype/video, etc)

So actually ONLY the main monitor would ever perform heavy duty graphics.

3x 570s? OMG xD yes sounds like too overkill for me :P

Was wondering about the 690 about to be launched... performance wise it
seems beastly but I kinda like the fact that it will last LONG before I need
to change.

I really thought that SLI would transform the 2 graphics in one, processing
wise, meaning only the output of one of them would work (sorry if stupid assumption xD)

I actually made my machine to be SLI ready for even 2 590s xD or whatever would come
with the AX1200 from corsair and a SLI ready mobo (Sabertooth P67)

I also think I have a SMALL problem... although Sabertooth P67 supports SLI I have read
here and there that it is not at all so good for SLI (8x/x8?)

I'll still check/subscribe on the thread you mentioned :)

All in all I will just wait a bit for the 6xx to come out (or 7xx I have heard rumours they
might "jump a number" xD)

I have the feeling the best in my case is to go for your suggestion of one good card and a
just enough card.

Probably some basic one that can do 1920x1080 and then a 580/680 for the two other monitors.

Actually... what if I plug a basic one for the side monitors and use the beastly one ONLY for
the main monitor (the one in front of me where I play)??? Would I get any performance boost since
it doesnt have to be framing my second monitor (btw I use rainmeter a lot so that monitor is
always having movement :P dont know if that matters)

Thanks again!

Cheers!

to change.

wise, meaning only the output of one of them would work (sorry if stupid assumption xD)

I actually made my machine to be SLI ready for even 2 590s xD or whatever would come

I also think I have a SMALL problem... although Sabertooth P67 supports SLI I have read

All in all I will just wait a bit for the 6xx to come out (or 7xx I have heard rumours they

I have the feeling the best in my case is to go for your suggestion of one good card and a

just enough card.

Probably some basic one that can do 1920x1080 and then a 580/680 for the two other monitors.

Actually... what if I plug a basic one for the side monitors and use the beastly one ONLY for

the main monitor (the one in front of me where I play)??? Would I get any performance boost since

it doesnt have to be framing my second monitor (btw I use rainmeter a lot so that monitor is

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Saberli7 OC

Posted 02/14/2012 06:21 PM   
[quote name='morunas' date='14 February 2012 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1329243682' post='1369445']

to change.

just enough card.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
[/quote]

The 590 is limited on availability, but neither the existence or release date of the 690 are certain yet - so it depends if you can wait to see what the next generation brings. The rumours certainly are various though!

Actually, up until quite recently your assumption would have been spot on - is only quite recently in the lifespan of SLI that multiple monitors have also been supported. If you did ever choose to go SLI though, your PSU should cover most possible options - 1200W is a good choice for remaining future-proof.

As for the x8 versus x16 argument, there will be a difference in performance capabilities but this is likely to be negligible in most cases. You could certainly measure it if you really wanted to, but only at higher resolutions is it likely to make a substantial difference. One of my three 570s only runs in x8 and I would certainly never know it.

If using a different GPU for the additional monitor, you may remove some workload from the primary GPU if that is no longer running the background tasks, but again its difficult to say whether that will be a noticeable difference.

J
[quote name='morunas' date='14 February 2012 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1329243682' post='1369445']

to change.

just enough card.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

The 590 is limited on availability, but neither the existence or release date of the 690 are certain yet - so it depends if you can wait to see what the next generation brings. The rumours certainly are various though!

Actually, up until quite recently your assumption would have been spot on - is only quite recently in the lifespan of SLI that multiple monitors have also been supported. If you did ever choose to go SLI though, your PSU should cover most possible options - 1200W is a good choice for remaining future-proof.

As for the x8 versus x16 argument, there will be a difference in performance capabilities but this is likely to be negligible in most cases. You could certainly measure it if you really wanted to, but only at higher resolutions is it likely to make a substantial difference. One of my three 570s only runs in x8 and I would certainly never know it.

If using a different GPU for the additional monitor, you may remove some workload from the primary GPU if that is no longer running the background tasks, but again its difficult to say whether that will be a noticeable difference.

J

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 02/14/2012 11:17 PM   
I am good with the waiting :)

The setup can hold for now with the ATI HD5770 until the new releases from NVIDIA :)

I will definitly hit one of the good GPUs to come and then at that time will search around
for what would be a bargain GPU for just holding the other 1 or 2 monitors depending on how
many I put on the main GPU.

Also I guess I should opt for a low profile card, should it be a PCIx8, because the second slot
is at the very bottom of the Mobo and a two pci slots GPU could perhaps conflict with the
power/reset/leds pins under it I'm afraid (just from looking...)

Although if I manage to certify that I can nicely run two cards in SLI without space problems

(let's just say Lian Li PC-X500FX chassis although with good space has the only issue on allowing
a max of 12'' GPUs... one of the reasons why I ran from stuff like HD6970 with 12.3'' -_-)

I might opt for something like two 670 or two 680 or whatever comes of the sort.

And... just so I get it right... I have been told by few folks to just look into EVGA nvidia cards
and add custom cooling. Is this recomendable for optimal usage and low temps?

I proudly keep my i7 at 4.1GHz (with H2O 620 from Antec) and mobo under 28 degrees even on "my highest" load (not on a prime test of course...)

From what I get this new way of GPUs to simply suck air in from the chassis and spit it out without interfering with the inside temps
looks quite good so could I assume the stock cooling of such type would be the best? My chassis has quite good airflow I must say with
3x 140mm fans (lian li) in the front and 1x 140mm fan in the back plus another 140mm that is taking the heat from the Antec's H2O.

Again thanks for the help :)
I am good with the waiting :)

The setup can hold for now with the ATI HD5770 until the new releases from NVIDIA :)

I will definitly hit one of the good GPUs to come and then at that time will search around

for what would be a bargain GPU for just holding the other 1 or 2 monitors depending on how

many I put on the main GPU.

Also I guess I should opt for a low profile card, should it be a PCIx8, because the second slot

is at the very bottom of the Mobo and a two pci slots GPU could perhaps conflict with the

power/reset/leds pins under it I'm afraid (just from looking...)

Although if I manage to certify that I can nicely run two cards in SLI without space problems

(let's just say Lian Li PC-X500FX chassis although with good space has the only issue on allowing

a max of 12'' GPUs... one of the reasons why I ran from stuff like HD6970 with 12.3'' -_-)

I might opt for something like two 670 or two 680 or whatever comes of the sort.

And... just so I get it right... I have been told by few folks to just look into EVGA nvidia cards

and add custom cooling. Is this recomendable for optimal usage and low temps?

I proudly keep my i7 at 4.1GHz (with H2O 620 from Antec) and mobo under 28 degrees even on "my highest" load (not on a prime test of course...)

From what I get this new way of GPUs to simply suck air in from the chassis and spit it out without interfering with the inside temps

looks quite good so could I assume the stock cooling of such type would be the best? My chassis has quite good airflow I must say with

3x 140mm fans (lian li) in the front and 1x 140mm fan in the back plus another 140mm that is taking the heat from the Antec's H2O.

Again thanks for the help :)

Saberli7 OC

Posted 02/14/2012 11:50 PM   
Scroll To Top