VGA randomly goes blank, DVI works fine
I have a GeForce 7900 GS with two DVI sockets. My monitor only takes VGA (DSub) so I had a small DVI-VGA adaptor, then a VGA cable to the monitor.

This all worked fine up until sometime this week when the monitor started randomly turning itself off.
I borrowed a monitor from work which only has DVI in, so have been using a straight DVI cable the rest of the week, which has been fine.

Got a new (second hand) monitor yesterday, which also appears only to have VGA in. Tried using the DVI adaptor + VGA cable, also tried a cable from work which has DVI one end and VGA the other. This new monitor randomly goes blank, but the power to the monitor is still fine (light stays blue so it's not in stand-by).

I have updated the GPU drivers, run Windows Update (Win XP Pro 32-bit), run a chkdsk and tested the RAM. I've opened up the computer and cleared any dust with spray-air.

It /seems/ to me that if I connect using DVI then everything is fine, but if I go through VGA the screen randomly goes blank and needs turning off/on. Sometimes it will then stay on for 5 minutes before going blank again, other times it will go blank almost immediately.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem? I need to return the DVI monitor to work so have to get VGA working somehow.

Thanks!
I have a GeForce 7900 GS with two DVI sockets. My monitor only takes VGA (DSub) so I had a small DVI-VGA adaptor, then a VGA cable to the monitor.

This all worked fine up until sometime this week when the monitor started randomly turning itself off.

I borrowed a monitor from work which only has DVI in, so have been using a straight DVI cable the rest of the week, which has been fine.

Got a new (second hand) monitor yesterday, which also appears only to have VGA in. Tried using the DVI adaptor + VGA cable, also tried a cable from work which has DVI one end and VGA the other. This new monitor randomly goes blank, but the power to the monitor is still fine (light stays blue so it's not in stand-by).

I have updated the GPU drivers, run Windows Update (Win XP Pro 32-bit), run a chkdsk and tested the RAM. I've opened up the computer and cleared any dust with spray-air.

It /seems/ to me that if I connect using DVI then everything is fine, but if I go through VGA the screen randomly goes blank and needs turning off/on. Sometimes it will then stay on for 5 minutes before going blank again, other times it will go blank almost immediately.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem? I need to return the DVI monitor to work so have to get VGA working somehow.

Thanks!

Posted 02/04/2012 11:39 AM   
I'm starting to think I've been unlucky with monitors. The second hand one I bought seems to go blank from time to time when plugged into my laptop too. That's £60 down the pan. Grrrr.
I'm starting to think I've been unlucky with monitors. The second hand one I bought seems to go blank from time to time when plugged into my laptop too. That's £60 down the pan. Grrrr.

Posted 02/04/2012 02:14 PM   
Mine also does this but it's not so random. My VGA monitor will blink off for a moment when I am about to change any settings. I think the nvidia software scans to see what hardware is currently plugged in whenever that software is loaded (ie: Nvidia control panel). My DVI monitor does not change one little bit. so perhaps there is a digital/analog switch within the menu of your monitor you can play around with. If it's random, it would be nice to know what is running software-wise.
Mine also does this but it's not so random. My VGA monitor will blink off for a moment when I am about to change any settings. I think the nvidia software scans to see what hardware is currently plugged in whenever that software is loaded (ie: Nvidia control panel). My DVI monitor does not change one little bit. so perhaps there is a digital/analog switch within the menu of your monitor you can play around with. If it's random, it would be nice to know what is running software-wise.

Posted 02/13/2012 03:51 PM   
Scroll To Top