Upgrading drives with RAID 1
I have an ASUS MB with an nForce 750 SLI controller. I built the system about 1 1/2 years ago with two MDT 400g drives set up as a RAID 1. One of the drives just failed and I had to remove it to get the system to boot. I ordered two new WD black 500g drives. I was able to mirror one of the new drives to the old one, then remove the old drive and mirror the second new one to the array. Both new drives are working fine, but I only have a 372g capacity array, just like the old drives. Apparently when I mirrored the new larger drive to the old one, it resulted on only 372g of the 500g being used. When I mirrored the 2nd new drive, it did the same. I thought I could use a partition manipulation program to then recover the missing capacity, but it only sees the 372g, the remaining space is not seen and therefore unavaliable to expand into. Is there any way to migrate a RAID 1 array to a set of larger drives?
I have an ASUS MB with an nForce 750 SLI controller. I built the system about 1 1/2 years ago with two MDT 400g drives set up as a RAID 1. One of the drives just failed and I had to remove it to get the system to boot. I ordered two new WD black 500g drives. I was able to mirror one of the new drives to the old one, then remove the old drive and mirror the second new one to the array. Both new drives are working fine, but I only have a 372g capacity array, just like the old drives. Apparently when I mirrored the new larger drive to the old one, it resulted on only 372g of the 500g being used. When I mirrored the 2nd new drive, it did the same. I thought I could use a partition manipulation program to then recover the missing capacity, but it only sees the 372g, the remaining space is not seen and therefore unavaliable to expand into. Is there any way to migrate a RAID 1 array to a set of larger drives?

Posted 02/04/2012 08:16 AM   
[quote name='TechWrench' date='04 February 2012 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1328343382' post='1364990']
[/quote]

not that i know of.
the only way to do this would be:
- make a backup of your system with acronis true image. you could even use your now obsolete 400g drive to store the backup.
- break the array and remove the existing raid configuration from the new disks (all can be done in the raid setup utility straight at bios post time)
- create a new array, extending it to the full capacity now.
- restore backup with acronis. there's an option here, hidden under some advanced config i think, to tell acronis to restore drive signature as weel - make sure this is checked. (if not checked, you may need to use windows startup recovery from the install disk.)
- boot your restored system, make sure everything works, then resize/move partitions as needed.
[quote name='TechWrench' date='04 February 2012 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1328343382' post='1364990']

not that i know of.

- make a backup of your system with acronis true image. you could even use your now obsolete 400g drive to store the backup.

- break the array and remove the existing raid configuration from the new disks (all can be done in the raid setup utility straight at bios post time)

- restore backup with acronis. there's an option here, hidden under some advanced config i think, to tell acronis to restore drive signature as weel - make sure this is checked. (if not checked, you may need to use windows startup recovery from the install disk.)

- boot your restored system, make sure everything works, then resize/move partitions as needed.
Posted 02/05/2012 10:38 PM   
[quote name='bsh' date='05 February 2012 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1328481489' post='1365627']
not that i know of.
[/quote]

OK, thats kinda what I thought, but was hoping for an easier way.

I have the EasyUS partition software, which will allow you to move/copy either a partition, or entire drive to another drive. My main problem is my MB will not allow both a bootable RAID and a bootable IDE drive to function at the same time. What I think I am going to try is to remove one of the existing volumes from the current array, then install old 400g drive as a new array with only one drive (degraded). Then I should be able to boot to the original array with the one drive, and use the partition software to copy the new drive to the old one. Once I am sure I can still boot to the old drive, then wipe new drives, install them both as an array, boot to the old drive, and use partition software to copy old drive back to new array. The software will either expand or contract the partition structure to accomodate up or downsizing, and hopefully this will allow me to gain back the unused space on the new drives.

Thanks for the reply.
[quote name='bsh' date='05 February 2012 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1328481489' post='1365627']

not that i know of.

OK, thats kinda what I thought, but was hoping for an easier way.

I have the EasyUS partition software, which will allow you to move/copy either a partition, or entire drive to another drive. My main problem is my MB will not allow both a bootable RAID and a bootable IDE drive to function at the same time. What I think I am going to try is to remove one of the existing volumes from the current array, then install old 400g drive as a new array with only one drive (degraded). Then I should be able to boot to the original array with the one drive, and use the partition software to copy the new drive to the old one. Once I am sure I can still boot to the old drive, then wipe new drives, install them both as an array, boot to the old drive, and use partition software to copy old drive back to new array. The software will either expand or contract the partition structure to accomodate up or downsizing, and hopefully this will allow me to gain back the unused space on the new drives.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted 02/06/2012 11:54 PM   
[quote name='TechWrench' date='07 February 2012 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1328572492' post='1366157']
My main problem is my MB will not allow both a bootable RAID and a bootable IDE drive to function at the same time.
[/quote]

I don't know what you mean by this? I can assure you it allows this and it works, I had such configuration for a long time (up to only recently where I took out my last ide drive and replaced with a sata one), I had up to 3 bootable drives in my system (one raid and two single drives). It doesn't matter if a drive is bootable or not, that is just one single bit on the drives. You can only boot one of them at any time anyway, but after it is booted, the other drives will work too.
[quote name='TechWrench' date='07 February 2012 - 12:54 AM' timestamp='1328572492' post='1366157']

My main problem is my MB will not allow both a bootable RAID and a bootable IDE drive to function at the same time.

I don't know what you mean by this? I can assure you it allows this and it works, I had such configuration for a long time (up to only recently where I took out my last ide drive and replaced with a sata one), I had up to 3 bootable drives in my system (one raid and two single drives). It doesn't matter if a drive is bootable or not, that is just one single bit on the drives. You can only boot one of them at any time anyway, but after it is booted, the other drives will work too.
Posted 02/07/2012 10:54 AM   
Scroll To Top