7950 GT, Nvidia driver fails to install
I am upgrading my friend's old computer (Athlon XP 2800, Nforce chipset) with a Leadtek 7950 GT. I plugged in the new card and Windows XP SP3 attempted to install drivers. I let Windows try to find the drivers and it appeared to work, but then it repeatedly tried to install drivers for "Display" so I knew something was wrong. I rebooted and the driver installation obviously failed. But I knew the 7950 hardware was working because it was running the display in a safe mode I guess, just everything was very slow.

Then I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia site and ran the installation. It copied some files over and looked like it was going to work, but it simply failed and gave me no other message other than Control Panel Failed, Driver Failed, etc.

So I am stuck and don't know what to do. It occurred to me that the PSU is definitely not big enough to handle the card, it's only 250W. But I don't see how that would cause the drivers to fail. It's not really being pushed at all just driving the Windows desktop.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!
I am upgrading my friend's old computer (Athlon XP 2800, Nforce chipset) with a Leadtek 7950 GT. I plugged in the new card and Windows XP SP3 attempted to install drivers. I let Windows try to find the drivers and it appeared to work, but then it repeatedly tried to install drivers for "Display" so I knew something was wrong. I rebooted and the driver installation obviously failed. But I knew the 7950 hardware was working because it was running the display in a safe mode I guess, just everything was very slow.

Then I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia site and ran the installation. It copied some files over and looked like it was going to work, but it simply failed and gave me no other message other than Control Panel Failed, Driver Failed, etc.

So I am stuck and don't know what to do. It occurred to me that the PSU is definitely not big enough to handle the card, it's only 250W. But I don't see how that would cause the drivers to fail. It's not really being pushed at all just driving the Windows desktop.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Posted 02/04/2012 02:05 AM   
Problem resolved. Had to reload XP anyway for another reason, that seemed to fix it.
Problem resolved. Had to reload XP anyway for another reason, that seemed to fix it.

Posted 02/05/2012 02:19 PM   
Scroll To Top