nVidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS Issues
Not sure if this is where I need to post this, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

I have the nVidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS graphics card, and I know it's rather old and out of date, but it works for what I do. Plus I'm broke. But I've been having an issue with it lately that it wasn't doing when I bought the card. No matter what game I play, I get periodic bouts of lag. And it's not random, it happen sin a pattern. Diablo II, Minecraft, Oblivion, it doesn't matter.

The games will run smooth and perfect for about a minute, and then I get this utter amount of lag that renders the game nearly unplayable that lasts about 45 seconds, and then the games will return to normal, smooth game play. And this cycle repeats until I get frustrated enough to close the game. No matter what game it is (new or old), this happens every time. I was just wondering if anyone here might have at least a diagnosis? I'm not expecting a fix (although that would be super), but at least find out what's going wrong.

Like I said, I know it's out-dated, but I'm poor and can't upgrade right now. And it used to work just fine. And if there's anymore info I can give that would be helpful, please say so. I would really like to at least find out what's going on. Thanks guys!

Charles
Not sure if this is where I need to post this, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.

I have the nVidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS graphics card, and I know it's rather old and out of date, but it works for what I do. Plus I'm broke. But I've been having an issue with it lately that it wasn't doing when I bought the card. No matter what game I play, I get periodic bouts of lag. And it's not random, it happen sin a pattern. Diablo II, Minecraft, Oblivion, it doesn't matter.

The games will run smooth and perfect for about a minute, and then I get this utter amount of lag that renders the game nearly unplayable that lasts about 45 seconds, and then the games will return to normal, smooth game play. And this cycle repeats until I get frustrated enough to close the game. No matter what game it is (new or old), this happens every time. I was just wondering if anyone here might have at least a diagnosis? I'm not expecting a fix (although that would be super), but at least find out what's going wrong.

Like I said, I know it's out-dated, but I'm poor and can't upgrade right now. And it used to work just fine. And if there's anymore info I can give that would be helpful, please say so. I would really like to at least find out what's going on. Thanks guys!

Charles

Posted 02/03/2012 09:40 PM   
Also, I just realized how bare my description was. So here's more.

Windows XP Professional x64
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHz
4 GB of RAM

I have the latest nVidia drivers as well.

I first noticed this problem while I was running Windows XP x32, but then realized my processor was an x64 processor, so I switched to Windows XP x64 to see if it would alleviate the problem, but to no avail. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I just realized how bare my description was. So here's more.

Windows XP Professional x64

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHz

4 GB of RAM

I have the latest nVidia drivers as well.

I first noticed this problem while I was running Windows XP x32, but then realized my processor was an x64 processor, so I switched to Windows XP x64 to see if it would alleviate the problem, but to no avail. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 02/03/2012 09:51 PM   
Hi,

Not sure how much help I'll be but here goes -

Yes the 64 bit OS will help you as it will use all your 4 Gig of ram as the 32 bit is limited to 3.3 Gig.

How full is your Hard Disk ? is there around 10% free space on it ? when did you last defrag the Hard Disk ?

Does the Video card have a fan on it ? if it does is the fan still spinning and how clean is the video card/fan ?

I know there are a lot of questions but try to answer and I'll see where to go from here.

Dar.
Hi,

Not sure how much help I'll be but here goes -

Yes the 64 bit OS will help you as it will use all your 4 Gig of ram as the 32 bit is limited to 3.3 Gig.

How full is your Hard Disk ? is there around 10% free space on it ? when did you last defrag the Hard Disk ?

Does the Video card have a fan on it ? if it does is the fan still spinning and how clean is the video card/fan ?

I know there are a lot of questions but try to answer and I'll see where to go from here.

Dar.

Posted 02/04/2012 12:48 AM   
My hard drive has more than 75% free space, as I just did a clean install and it's not necessary to defragment at this time. The video card doesn't have a fan of its own. but my custom case has a rather large fan blowing on it constantly. The card is clean and free of dust, as is the entire inside of my case. The fan never stops spinning.
My hard drive has more than 75% free space, as I just did a clean install and it's not necessary to defragment at this time. The video card doesn't have a fan of its own. but my custom case has a rather large fan blowing on it constantly. The card is clean and free of dust, as is the entire inside of my case. The fan never stops spinning.

Posted 02/04/2012 03:38 AM   
Ok, thanks for getting back

So the only thing I can think of now is it's the new video driver, what was the reason you updated the driver ? what was NOT working ?

I would go back to a driver of around 190 as you really do not gain anything from the newer drivers as you said the card is old now and does not support the
new features in the new driver.

Dar.
Ok, thanks for getting back

So the only thing I can think of now is it's the new video driver, what was the reason you updated the driver ? what was NOT working ?

I would go back to a driver of around 190 as you really do not gain anything from the newer drivers as you said the card is old now and does not support the

new features in the new driver.

Dar.

Posted 02/04/2012 10:41 PM   
Forgive me for my delayed reply, as my internet is not the greatest... I will try downloading the early driver you suggested and see if it alleviates the problem. In the mean time, thank you for helping me! I've tried many forums and whatnot, but because I'm a new poster, not many will reply to any of my posts. It seems it's all in who you know these days.

Also, the reason I updated the driver was that I had to do a reinstall of Windows and didn't think to back up the drivers to my devices. It wasn't because something was NOT working, just that I wasn't thinking clearly. I never thought to roll back on the driver, so thank you for the input!

Cheers. :D
Forgive me for my delayed reply, as my internet is not the greatest... I will try downloading the early driver you suggested and see if it alleviates the problem. In the mean time, thank you for helping me! I've tried many forums and whatnot, but because I'm a new poster, not many will reply to any of my posts. It seems it's all in who you know these days.

Also, the reason I updated the driver was that I had to do a reinstall of Windows and didn't think to back up the drivers to my devices. It wasn't because something was NOT working, just that I wasn't thinking clearly. I never thought to roll back on the driver, so thank you for the input!

Cheers. :D

Posted 02/21/2012 05:03 PM   
Don't worry I hope it works, post back and let me know ! as to being new we all have to start somewhere /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Dar.
Don't worry I hope it works, post back and let me know ! as to being new we all have to start somewhere /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Dar.

Posted 02/21/2012 09:10 PM   
Okay, reporting back with results!

Sadly, reverting back to early drivers has not helped. Right now I'm using driver version 190.38. It doesn't seem to be doing any better or worse; just the same. I'm starting to think the card itself might have been damaged. But the only thing is that it's never been removed after the initial installation. The case has never been jarred or dropped or harmed otherwise. I clean out the dust and debris every other month, but nothing ever gets disturbed as far as equipment goes. I don't want to say the card is defective, because it used to work just fine. Maybe it's just so old now that it's worn down, so to speak?

My hard drive and operating system is maintained, as in there aren't any viruses or bad sectors or anything. This baffles me to no return. And I can't get a new card, as I am unemployed currently. Blah.

Well, if you can think of anything else or have any more questions for me, please ask or say so. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume I'm doomed with a bad card for a few more years.

Thanks again. :D
Okay, reporting back with results!

Sadly, reverting back to early drivers has not helped. Right now I'm using driver version 190.38. It doesn't seem to be doing any better or worse; just the same. I'm starting to think the card itself might have been damaged. But the only thing is that it's never been removed after the initial installation. The case has never been jarred or dropped or harmed otherwise. I clean out the dust and debris every other month, but nothing ever gets disturbed as far as equipment goes. I don't want to say the card is defective, because it used to work just fine. Maybe it's just so old now that it's worn down, so to speak?

My hard drive and operating system is maintained, as in there aren't any viruses or bad sectors or anything. This baffles me to no return. And I can't get a new card, as I am unemployed currently. Blah.

Well, if you can think of anything else or have any more questions for me, please ask or say so. Otherwise, I'm just going to assume I'm doomed with a bad card for a few more years.

Thanks again. :D

Posted 02/27/2012 06:30 PM   
Also, I read somewhere that your power supply could have something to do with your video card's performance...? If so, how could I relay the specs of my power supply to you?
Also, I read somewhere that your power supply could have something to do with your video card's performance...? If so, how could I relay the specs of my power supply to you?

Posted 02/27/2012 07:13 PM   
Sorry not posted before, been away.

From what you have said, I have to agree with you - with the best will in the world computer components fail and it looks like your video card has, maybe just 'old age'
or a weak component ?!

As to the PSU yes that can sometime course problems but they are usually failure to boot or sudden re-boots that kind of thing, but if you want to take the side off the PC and on the PSU there should be a label with the specification on ie +12v/+5v/-12v and under that should be something like 18Amp/8Amp/2Amp

Sorry it's not good news, being unemployed sucks I KNOW !

Dar.
Sorry not posted before, been away.

From what you have said, I have to agree with you - with the best will in the world computer components fail and it looks like your video card has, maybe just 'old age'

or a weak component ?!

As to the PSU yes that can sometime course problems but they are usually failure to boot or sudden re-boots that kind of thing, but if you want to take the side off the PC and on the PSU there should be a label with the specification on ie +12v/+5v/-12v and under that should be something like 18Amp/8Amp/2Amp

Sorry it's not good news, being unemployed sucks I KNOW !

Dar.

Posted 03/01/2012 02:20 PM   
Scroll To Top