"Content type reported to the display" is missing in 295.51
  1 / 3    
The "Content type reported to the display" option is missing in 295.51 for my GT430, which is connected to a Sony TV, which [b]requires[/b] this to be set to "Full-screen videos" to be usable as the HDTV that it is. This is the first driver since the option was introduced circa driver 256 that is missing the option. The Nvidia control panel also misidentified the port as DVI, as I'm connecting to the card's HDMI port.
The "Content type reported to the display" option is missing in 295.51 for my GT430, which is connected to a Sony TV, which requires this to be set to "Full-screen videos" to be usable as the HDTV that it is. This is the first driver since the option was introduced circa driver 256 that is missing the option. The Nvidia control panel also misidentified the port as DVI, as I'm connecting to the card's HDMI port.

Posted 02/01/2012 06:46 AM   
[quote name='tima9302' date='01 February 2012 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1328078773' post='1363495']
The "Content type reported to the display" option is missing in 295.51 for my GT430, which is connected to a Sony TV, which [b]requires[/b] this to be set to "Full-screen videos" to be usable as the HDTV that it is. This is the first driver since the option was introduced circa driver 256 that is missing the option. The Nvidia control panel also misidentified the port as DVI, as I'm connecting to the card's HDMI port.
[/quote]

Here's why this is important. Without this option, the card puts my Sony W4100 into a PC mode, where the black levels are way off, and all the video settings are unavailable except the most basic ones for brightness and contrast. Moreover, it really messes up Windows Media Center, which will switch to a true video-timing 1080p mode when playing videos, switching back to the PC timings when returning to the UI. These mode switches blank the screen for several seconds, and worse, they interact really badly with the Media Center 29/59 bug. The 29/59 bug is the one that occurs while watching 1080i programs that improperly switch the frame rate from 29 to 59 Hz, and with these new drivers, I either get whole-screen flicker when the frame rate changes, or if it's really bad, the mode switching will occur back and forth during the program. It makes affected programs unwatchable, including many on channels like AMC, TBS, SHO, etc. It's like 2008 all over again, except that in 2008, I actually had to abandon Nvidia for over a year, as there was no workaround for this bug. It was only the introduction of the "Content type reported to the display" option that enabled me to use Nvidia again. And now it's gone. And it's not just my Sony W4100. It's the XBR6 and W5100 lines at least, along with models from Philips and Vizio. FTR, I have a gaming PC also directly connected to the Sony W4100, and its GTX460 does have this option with the new driver; it also correctly identifies that I'm using the HDMI port on the GTX460. So something in the Nvidia driver is selectively removing it for the GT430 in my HTPC, most likely related to the false reporting that I'm using the GT430's DVI port.
[quote name='tima9302' date='01 February 2012 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1328078773' post='1363495']

The "Content type reported to the display" option is missing in 295.51 for my GT430, which is connected to a Sony TV, which requires this to be set to "Full-screen videos" to be usable as the HDTV that it is. This is the first driver since the option was introduced circa driver 256 that is missing the option. The Nvidia control panel also misidentified the port as DVI, as I'm connecting to the card's HDMI port.

Here's why this is important. Without this option, the card puts my Sony W4100 into a PC mode, where the black levels are way off, and all the video settings are unavailable except the most basic ones for brightness and contrast. Moreover, it really messes up Windows Media Center, which will switch to a true video-timing 1080p mode when playing videos, switching back to the PC timings when returning to the UI. These mode switches blank the screen for several seconds, and worse, they interact really badly with the Media Center 29/59 bug. The 29/59 bug is the one that occurs while watching 1080i programs that improperly switch the frame rate from 29 to 59 Hz, and with these new drivers, I either get whole-screen flicker when the frame rate changes, or if it's really bad, the mode switching will occur back and forth during the program. It makes affected programs unwatchable, including many on channels like AMC, TBS, SHO, etc. It's like 2008 all over again, except that in 2008, I actually had to abandon Nvidia for over a year, as there was no workaround for this bug. It was only the introduction of the "Content type reported to the display" option that enabled me to use Nvidia again. And now it's gone. And it's not just my Sony W4100. It's the XBR6 and W5100 lines at least, along with models from Philips and Vizio. FTR, I have a gaming PC also directly connected to the Sony W4100, and its GTX460 does have this option with the new driver; it also correctly identifies that I'm using the HDMI port on the GTX460. So something in the Nvidia driver is selectively removing it for the GT430 in my HTPC, most likely related to the false reporting that I'm using the GT430's DVI port.

Posted 02/03/2012 07:05 AM   
pc mode is usually better for video viewing as it disable most post processing and settings that can hurt image quality and are better done on the nvidia control panel. black levels will be 0-255
pc mode is usually better for video viewing as it disable most post processing and settings that can hurt image quality and are better done on the nvidia control panel. black levels will be 0-255

Posted 02/03/2012 07:13 AM   
[quote name='mcantu' date='03 February 2012 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1328253190' post='1364522']
[/quote]

I'm sure you mean well, but no, and for multiple reasons I'm not going to the trouble to write down. I'm here to report a driver bug, and that's all.
[quote name='mcantu' date='03 February 2012 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1328253190' post='1364522']

I'm sure you mean well, but no, and for multiple reasons I'm not going to the trouble to write down. I'm here to report a driver bug, and that's all.

Posted 02/03/2012 07:21 AM   
sorry, i wasnt trying to imply that 'content type reported...' being missing wasnt a bug
sorry, i wasnt trying to imply that 'content type reported...' being missing wasnt a bug

Posted 02/03/2012 10:04 AM   
To add to my first two posts, I've played around more with the GTX460 system, the one that does still have the "Content-type reported to the display" option. Please review what I wrote earlier about the mode-switching and flicker inside Windows Media Center that occur when watching video and this option is set to "Auto-select". The short version is that even after eliminating the mode-switching as per usual by changing the "Content" option away from "Auto-select" to "Full-screen videos" (or "Desktop programs", for that matter), the 29/59 flicker still occurs no matter what. Turning off dynamic contrast in the driver control panel doesn't help (which FWIW is the usual fix for ATI, which is well-known for this flicker). This unavoidable whole-screen strobe effect is a new bug and makes Nvidia useless once again for Windows 7 Media Center for 1080i TV programs affected by the 29/59 bug, which is a lot of programs affecting a lot of people on a very wide scale, as some degree of 29/59 is practically ubiquitous.

Again, the GT430 is missing the "Content" option altogether in the 295.51 driver, and the control panel incorrectly identifies my Sony TV as "DVI - PC" in my HTPC. The GTX460 in the gaming system correctly identifies it as "HDMI - HDTV". Without the "Content" option for the GT430, I can't eliminate the mode-switching, which makes the 295.51 driver unusable. But 295.51 doesn't stop there. It adds the 29/59 flicker as another new bug, which survives eliminating the mode-switching on the GTX460 in the usual way. Presumably, if the "Content" option were still present on the GT430, as it has been for the last couple of years, and I could eliminate the mode-switching by setting it to "Full-screen videos", as I've been doing all that time, the 29/59 flicker would remain, rendering the driver and card useless to me. I also needed to use the "Content" option with my 9600GT and GT520, so most if not all Nvidia cards made in the last few years may be affected by one or both of these problems.

P.S. For completeness, Microsoft has recently published a [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140"]KB article[/url] on the 29/59 bug, after many hundreds of messages have been written on it over the years. It's sketchy at best, consolidating the various manifestations of the 29/59 bug as "stuttering" (some degree of stuttering from none to severe is the best than can be achieved to date, and it's what I can achieve with the Nvidia drivers from 256 to 290 after eliminating the mode-switching) or "glitches", but at least they've finally acknowledged the problem.
To add to my first two posts, I've played around more with the GTX460 system, the one that does still have the "Content-type reported to the display" option. Please review what I wrote earlier about the mode-switching and flicker inside Windows Media Center that occur when watching video and this option is set to "Auto-select". The short version is that even after eliminating the mode-switching as per usual by changing the "Content" option away from "Auto-select" to "Full-screen videos" (or "Desktop programs", for that matter), the 29/59 flicker still occurs no matter what. Turning off dynamic contrast in the driver control panel doesn't help (which FWIW is the usual fix for ATI, which is well-known for this flicker). This unavoidable whole-screen strobe effect is a new bug and makes Nvidia useless once again for Windows 7 Media Center for 1080i TV programs affected by the 29/59 bug, which is a lot of programs affecting a lot of people on a very wide scale, as some degree of 29/59 is practically ubiquitous.

Again, the GT430 is missing the "Content" option altogether in the 295.51 driver, and the control panel incorrectly identifies my Sony TV as "DVI - PC" in my HTPC. The GTX460 in the gaming system correctly identifies it as "HDMI - HDTV". Without the "Content" option for the GT430, I can't eliminate the mode-switching, which makes the 295.51 driver unusable. But 295.51 doesn't stop there. It adds the 29/59 flicker as another new bug, which survives eliminating the mode-switching on the GTX460 in the usual way. Presumably, if the "Content" option were still present on the GT430, as it has been for the last couple of years, and I could eliminate the mode-switching by setting it to "Full-screen videos", as I've been doing all that time, the 29/59 flicker would remain, rendering the driver and card useless to me. I also needed to use the "Content" option with my 9600GT and GT520, so most if not all Nvidia cards made in the last few years may be affected by one or both of these problems.

P.S. For completeness, Microsoft has recently published a KB article on the 29/59 bug, after many hundreds of messages have been written on it over the years. It's sketchy at best, consolidating the various manifestations of the 29/59 bug as "stuttering" (some degree of stuttering from none to severe is the best than can be achieved to date, and it's what I can achieve with the Nvidia drivers from 256 to 290 after eliminating the mode-switching) or "glitches", but at least they've finally acknowledged the problem.

Posted 02/03/2012 05:28 PM   
You should also report this using the proper feedback channels. Many bugs have gone unnoticed and/or unsolved in the forum.
You should also report this using the proper feedback channels. Many bugs have gone unnoticed and/or unsolved in the forum.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 02/03/2012 05:32 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='03 February 2012 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1328290374' post='1364736']
[/quote]

Good idea, and done.
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='03 February 2012 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1328290374' post='1364736']

Good idea, and done.

Posted 02/03/2012 06:42 PM   
I have the same issue with a gt240. I have submitted feedback also.

Posted 02/06/2012 04:22 PM   
[quote name='Razoola' date='06 February 2012 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1328545347' post='1365939']
[/quote]

Can you confirm Nvidia didn't fix the missing option, "Content type reported to the display", a bug they introduced in 295.51?

I can confirm Nvidia didn't fix the other major bug they introduced in 295.51, the Media Center 29/59 whole screen flicker or strobe effect bug, which I also talked about above. I installed 295.73 on my GTX460 system, and that bug is alive and well. I won't be installing it on my GT430 system to test the "Content type" bug, as the strobe bug makes it useless for Media Center irrespective of the "Content type" bug.

So it would appear Nvidia has made their cards useless for Media Center once again, at least for cards from the 240 series through Fermi.
[quote name='Razoola' date='06 February 2012 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1328545347' post='1365939']

Can you confirm Nvidia didn't fix the missing option, "Content type reported to the display", a bug they introduced in 295.51?

I can confirm Nvidia didn't fix the other major bug they introduced in 295.51, the Media Center 29/59 whole screen flicker or strobe effect bug, which I also talked about above. I installed 295.73 on my GTX460 system, and that bug is alive and well. I won't be installing it on my GT430 system to test the "Content type" bug, as the strobe bug makes it useless for Media Center irrespective of the "Content type" bug.

So it would appear Nvidia has made their cards useless for Media Center once again, at least for cards from the 240 series through Fermi.

Posted 02/21/2012 06:48 PM   
i have a 560ti connected to a samsung hdtv and i have the content type option available
i have a 560ti connected to a samsung hdtv and i have the content type option available

Posted 02/21/2012 07:42 PM   
[quote name='mcantu' date='21 February 2012 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1329853337' post='1372445']
[/quote]

Like I said earlier, it's there on my GTX460 as well. I never said the "Content type" option is missing from every card, just the GT430, and apparently Razoola has it missing on his GT240. Again, the new bug that occurs with both my GT430 and GTX460 is the whole-screen flicker or strobe effect bug that is Nvidia's new unavoidable manifestation of the Media Center 29/59 bug, which I've talked about in some detail in this thread. By itself, the strobe effect bug makes these drivers useless for Media Center, and the missing "Content type" option doubles down on the uselessness for the Nvidia card most frequently recommended for HTPC usage, the GT430, when it's used with various Sony, Philips, and Vizio TVs. It's hard to imagine a bigger FAIL for Media Center usage. As I said earlier, Nvidia has copied the ATI strobe bug, except there's no way to defeat it, and Nvidia has regressed to 2009 or so WRT the PC/HDTV timing bug, for which they finally provided a workaround with the "Content type" option, which they've now rescinded for the GT430 and apparently the GT240 as well. Just terrible.
[quote name='mcantu' date='21 February 2012 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1329853337' post='1372445']

Like I said earlier, it's there on my GTX460 as well. I never said the "Content type" option is missing from every card, just the GT430, and apparently Razoola has it missing on his GT240. Again, the new bug that occurs with both my GT430 and GTX460 is the whole-screen flicker or strobe effect bug that is Nvidia's new unavoidable manifestation of the Media Center 29/59 bug, which I've talked about in some detail in this thread. By itself, the strobe effect bug makes these drivers useless for Media Center, and the missing "Content type" option doubles down on the uselessness for the Nvidia card most frequently recommended for HTPC usage, the GT430, when it's used with various Sony, Philips, and Vizio TVs. It's hard to imagine a bigger FAIL for Media Center usage. As I said earlier, Nvidia has copied the ATI strobe bug, except there's no way to defeat it, and Nvidia has regressed to 2009 or so WRT the PC/HDTV timing bug, for which they finally provided a workaround with the "Content type" option, which they've now rescinded for the GT430 and apparently the GT240 as well. Just terrible.

Posted 02/21/2012 08:23 PM   
[quote name='tima9302' date='21 February 2012 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1329850094' post='1372407']

[/quote]

I wanted to update the ticket I opened on these issues so I went ahead and installed 295.73 on my GT430 system. Unsurprisingly, Nvidia has not fixed the missing "Content type" bug that affects my GT430, either. Just terrible.
[quote name='tima9302' date='21 February 2012 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1329850094' post='1372407']

I wanted to update the ticket I opened on these issues so I went ahead and installed 295.73 on my GT430 system. Unsurprisingly, Nvidia has not fixed the missing "Content type" bug that affects my GT430, either. Just terrible.

Posted 02/23/2012 06:25 PM   
Yes the problem still exist for me also with the new drivers.

Posted 02/23/2012 06:28 PM   
[quote name='Razoola' date='23 February 2012 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1330021738' post='1373968']
[/quote]

I think a new driver calls for new tickets, so I opened separate new ones for the "Content type" and 29/59 flicker issues.
[quote name='Razoola' date='23 February 2012 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1330021738' post='1373968']

I think a new driver calls for new tickets, so I opened separate new ones for the "Content type" and 29/59 flicker issues.

Posted 02/24/2012 09:30 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top