Geforce GTX 560 Ti - "XXX has stopped working"
  1 / 2    
Hi.

I purchased a new pc about 3months ago.

Right from day 1 I ve had issues when trying to play various games. The games will function perfectly... then for no apparent reason, stop & a pop up will appear saying "XXX has stopped working", and proceed to shut the game down & go back to the desk-top.

Initially I suspected I had a faulty pc... however I feel reasonably confident this is not the case.

My specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 4GB)
Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
PSU: 700W Xigmatek

#########################################

Games the above issue tends to happen on:

- Napoleon Total War (Steam)
- Empire Total War (Steam)
- Shogun Total War (Steam)
- Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 (Steam)
- Battlefield 3 (Origin)

All of them suffer the same issue: "XXX has stopped working".... popping up for no reason whatsoever, with the games working perfectly right up until then.

I ve:

- Tested the Ram with Memtest 86 & Memtest 86+ - removing each chip & testing it. I ve also tried playing BF3 with either of the chips... it makes no difference. The issue still occurs. Windows Memory Diagnostic: No errors found.
- Reinstalled the operating system using the cd - made no difference.

I ve also benchmarked my system: No issues found. Dxdiag: No errors found etc....

Playing Battlefield 3 & going onto their forum has revealed to me I m not alone: MANY GTX graphics users are suffering the above issues on BF3... it working fine, then stopping.

##################################################################################

My question is: How can I resolve or minimise the above issue happening?

There is clearly something wrong with the graphics software - what does everyone recommend I do to try and minimise this issue?

Its REALLY annoying me now.

I ve ensured my motherboard drivers are uptodate, updated the BIOS to the latest version (from Motherboards website)... and updated the graphics drivers as & when they are released.... to have no success.

Current driver version is 295.51

Any recommendations to try and minimise/resolve the above issue?

Thanks
Hi.

Right from day 1 I ve had issues when trying to play various games. The games will function perfectly... then for no apparent reason, stop & a pop up will appear saying "XXX has stopped working", and proceed to shut the game down & go back to the desk-top.

Initially I suspected I had a faulty pc... however I feel reasonably confident this is not the case.

My specifications:

- Battlefield 3 (Origin)

All of them suffer the same issue: "XXX has stopped working".... popping up for no reason whatsoever, with the games working perfectly right up until then.

I ve:

- Tested the Ram with Memtest 86 & Memtest 86+ - removing each chip & testing it. I ve also tried playing BF3 with either of the chips... it makes no difference. The issue still occurs. Windows Memory Diagnostic: No errors found.

I ve also benchmarked my system: No issues found. Dxdiag: No errors found etc....

Playing Battlefield 3 & going onto their forum has revealed to me I m not alone: MANY GTX graphics users are suffering the above issues on BF3... it working fine, then stopping.

##################################################################################

There is clearly something wrong with the graphics software - what does everyone recommend I do to try and minimise this issue?

I ve ensured my motherboard drivers are uptodate, updated the BIOS to the latest version (from Motherboards website)... and updated the graphics drivers as & when they are released.... to have no success.

Thanks

Posted 02/01/2012 12:56 AM   
[quote name='ian1246' date='01 February 2012 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1328057806' post='1363384']
Hi.

My specifications:

- Battlefield 3 (Origin)

I ve:

Thanks
[/quote]

I know exactly what you are talking about, considering i'm into BF3 at the moment it got really frustrating for me, all i did was just disable sli whilst playing it.

Yeah i know it's not a fix, but it's a work-around, until i hear tell of a fix.
[quote name='ian1246' date='01 February 2012 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1328057806' post='1363384']

Hi.

My specifications:

- Battlefield 3 (Origin)

I ve:

Thanks

I know exactly what you are talking about, considering i'm into BF3 at the moment it got really frustrating for me, all i did was just disable sli whilst playing it.

Yeah i know it's not a fix, but it's a work-around, until i hear tell of a fix.

Posted 02/01/2012 05:15 AM   
[quote]"XXX has stopped working".... popping up for no reason whatsoever,[/quote]
It can certainly seem that way. There are many causes for '[i]xxx has stopped working[/i]', not just games.
The Win7 forums has heaps of threads relating to this error message, one of the most common is - [i]'Windows Explorer has stopped working'[/i] - so maybe it's a Win7 problem ? /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' /> Barely a day goes by on the Win7 forums without threats to buy a Mac.

As the issue was evident from day one I'd be inclined to think that, if it's not hardware, some software installed early on could be causing problems in the background.
Have you tried troubleshooting using [i][url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135"]Clean Boot - here[/url][/i] ? This problem often comes from software launching with Windows that conflicts with the game (or other software), or steals focus trying to do an auto-update, etc.
Have you tried disabling your AV ? Anti-Virus programs often cause problems.

Have you monitored your cpu and gpu temps ?
You don't mention a specific gpu maker, so I assume your card is a reference model running at stock clock speed, and while you have a 'k' model cpu, you didn't mention the cpu clock speed, so this is at stock clocks as well ?

The drivers you are using are BETA. They should come with a tag - '[i]May still have bugs. Use at your own risk[/i]'. Not to say you won't have the problem with WHQL drivers, but it helps eliminate the drivers as the source.
The Nvidia HD Audio drivers that are bundled with the graphics drivers can be a problems and should be left out of the installation if you don't need them. If you do need NV Audio you may need to disable your Realtek on board audio.
Audio Drivers are also known to cause problems is some games. If you have the most recent Realtek drivers if my be worth trying an earlier version.
The [url="http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm"]Windows 7 Codec Pack[/url] - can help with some games (FO3 if nothing else).

Do you have other games that are running well ? If so, reinstalling the games in question may help. Download installs are perhaps a bit more prone to install corruption.

"XXX has stopped working".... popping up for no reason whatsoever,

It can certainly seem that way. There are many causes for 'xxx has stopped working', not just games.

The Win7 forums has heaps of threads relating to this error message, one of the most common is - 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' - so maybe it's a Win7 problem ? /teehee.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':teehee:' /> Barely a day goes by on the Win7 forums without threats to buy a Mac.

As the issue was evident from day one I'd be inclined to think that, if it's not hardware, some software installed early on could be causing problems in the background.

Have you tried troubleshooting using Clean Boot - here ? This problem often comes from software launching with Windows that conflicts with the game (or other software), or steals focus trying to do an auto-update, etc.

Have you tried disabling your AV ? Anti-Virus programs often cause problems.

Have you monitored your cpu and gpu temps ?

You don't mention a specific gpu maker, so I assume your card is a reference model running at stock clock speed, and while you have a 'k' model cpu, you didn't mention the cpu clock speed, so this is at stock clocks as well ?

The drivers you are using are BETA. They should come with a tag - 'May still have bugs. Use at your own risk'. Not to say you won't have the problem with WHQL drivers, but it helps eliminate the drivers as the source.

The Nvidia HD Audio drivers that are bundled with the graphics drivers can be a problems and should be left out of the installation if you don't need them. If you do need NV Audio you may need to disable your Realtek on board audio.

Audio Drivers are also known to cause problems is some games. If you have the most recent Realtek drivers if my be worth trying an earlier version.

The Windows 7 Codec Pack - can help with some games (FO3 if nothing else).

Do you have other games that are running well ? If so, reinstalling the games in question may help. Download installs are perhaps a bit more prone to install corruption.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 02/01/2012 08:48 AM   
Hey buddy.

I haven't tried the "clean boot" troubleshooting yet, its something I ll have to try if the latest efforts to resolve this haven't worked. I ve also not tried disabling my AV given I generally only play these games online rather than single player (I.e. BF3). However this is something I ll have to do as well to rule the AV out.

Regarding my CPU Temperature: The pccase I have is a Zalman Plus, which comes with a temperature display. The PC normally never (barely ever) gets past 36C. The case is VERY well ventilated with 4 fans... plus I also have a Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler in it, so I feel reasonably confident in ruling out any form of overheating.

As for my GPU, going into system information on the Nvidia control panel:

Item: Geforce GTX 560 Ti.
Driver Version: 295.51
Direct X Support: 11
CUDA Cores: 384
Graphics Clock: 835 Mhz
Processor Clock: 1670 Mhz
Memory Clock: 2000 Mhz (4000 Mhz Data Rate)
Memory Interface: 256-bit
Total Available Graphics: 4095 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 1024 MB GDDR5
System Video Memory: 0MB
Shared System Memory: 3071 MB
Video Bios Version: 70.24.0A.00.01
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen 2

#################

I haven't done anything to the graphics card in terms of overclocking or underclocking (don't really know how). About the only thing I ve done is selected for the 3D settings (for Battlefield 3) for the CUDA-GPU's option to "use these GPU's" (with the Geforce GTX 560 Ti ticked) instead of the global settings & for the power management mode to be "Prefer Maximum Performance".

For the Physx Configuration I ve also selected the Geforce GTX 560 Ti... rather than allowing it to auto-select, which coupled with the above alterations does seem to have reduced the amount it crashes substantially, though the problem does still persist.

Note on the driver: I ve updated the drivers 3 times now, so its not the beta - the problem has persisted regardless of the driver.

##################

Regarding my PC:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

When I do dxdiag it tells me for my processor:

Processor: Intel (R)Core (TM) i5-2500k @ 3.30ghz (4 CPU's), ~ 3.6Ghz

########################################

As part of my motherboard software I have a software called "Easy Tune 6" designed to allow me to easily overclock my pc... I ve never done so, but it does give me more information regarding my pc.

Here is some screenshots of what its currently telling me my set-up is.

What, if any, options would people recommend I change?

I.e. I ve read its advised dropping the graphics card speed down by 40-50mhz might help improve stability. Should I try this?

"HW Monitor" (whats its called on Easy Tune 6 - allows me to alter fan speed & temperature, as well as monitor voltage etc...)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/HWmonitor.png
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/HWmonitor.png[/IMG]

&

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/VoltageMonitor.png
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/VoltageMonitor.png[/IMG]

This is the graphics info page - where I can adjust the graphics settings

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/GraphicsInfo.png
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/GraphicsInfo.png[/IMG]

CPU current speeds/settings. There is another option called "Tuner" which allows me to pick 3 different overclock options, or pick a more advanced option which allows me to basically alter everything... I haven't touched this - so my system is still at its default settings.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/Processorspeed.png
[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/Processorspeed.png[/IMG]
Hey buddy.

I haven't tried the "clean boot" troubleshooting yet, its something I ll have to try if the latest efforts to resolve this haven't worked. I ve also not tried disabling my AV given I generally only play these games online rather than single player (I.e. BF3). However this is something I ll have to do as well to rule the AV out.

Regarding my CPU Temperature: The pccase I have is a Zalman Plus, which comes with a temperature display. The PC normally never (barely ever) gets past 36C. The case is VERY well ventilated with 4 fans... plus I also have a Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler in it, so I feel reasonably confident in ruling out any form of overheating.

As for my GPU, going into system information on the Nvidia control panel:

Item: Geforce GTX 560 Ti.

Driver Version: 295.51

Direct X Support: 11

CUDA Cores: 384

Graphics Clock: 835 Mhz

Processor Clock: 1670 Mhz

Memory Clock: 2000 Mhz (4000 Mhz Data Rate)

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Total Available Graphics: 4095 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 1024 MB GDDR5

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 3071 MB

Video Bios Version: 70.24.0A.00.01

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen 2

#################

I haven't done anything to the graphics card in terms of overclocking or underclocking (don't really know how). About the only thing I ve done is selected for the 3D settings (for Battlefield 3) for the CUDA-GPU's option to "use these GPU's" (with the Geforce GTX 560 Ti ticked) instead of the global settings & for the power management mode to be "Prefer Maximum Performance".

For the Physx Configuration I ve also selected the Geforce GTX 560 Ti... rather than allowing it to auto-select, which coupled with the above alterations does seem to have reduced the amount it crashes substantially, though the problem does still persist.

Note on the driver: I ve updated the drivers 3 times now, so its not the beta - the problem has persisted regardless of the driver.

##################

Regarding my PC:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

When I do dxdiag it tells me for my processor:

Processor: Intel (R)Core (TM) i5-2500k @ 3.30ghz (4 CPU's), ~ 3.6Ghz

########################################

As part of my motherboard software I have a software called "Easy Tune 6" designed to allow me to easily overclock my pc... I ve never done so, but it does give me more information regarding my pc.

Here is some screenshots of what its currently telling me my set-up is.

What, if any, options would people recommend I change?

I.e. I ve read its advised dropping the graphics card speed down by 40-50mhz might help improve stability. Should I try this?

"HW Monitor" (whats its called on Easy Tune 6 - allows me to alter fan speed & temperature, as well as monitor voltage etc...)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/HWmonitor.png

&

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/VoltageMonitor.png

This is the graphics info page - where I can adjust the graphics settings

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/GraphicsInfo.png

CPU current speeds/settings. There is another option called "Tuner" which allows me to pick 3 different overclock options, or pick a more advanced option which allows me to basically alter everything... I haven't touched this - so my system is still at its default settings.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/ianjones1246/Processorspeed.png

Posted 02/01/2012 06:27 PM   
[quote name='ian1246' date='01 February 2012 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1328120878' post='1363760']
As part of my motherboard software I have a software called "Easy Tune 5" designed to allow me to easily overclock my pc...
[/quote]

easy tune 5 is a bugware. it is like 5 years old at least. it has been replaced by easy tune 6 MANY YEARS ago. i would remove this as fast as possible. (and do not install easy tune 6 either. these are crap.)

edit: oh i see you just corrected it. nvm.
[quote name='ian1246' date='01 February 2012 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1328120878' post='1363760']

As part of my motherboard software I have a software called "Easy Tune 5" designed to allow me to easily overclock my pc...

easy tune 5 is a bugware. it is like 5 years old at least. it has been replaced by easy tune 6 MANY YEARS ago. i would remove this as fast as possible. (and do not install easy tune 6 either. these are crap.)

edit: oh i see you just corrected it. nvm.
Posted 02/01/2012 06:39 PM   
You cards clocks aren't much over stock (822MHz) so I doubt they are a problem, but you never know. You should not need to go below 822MHz regardless, and if you did you would have cause for an RMA.
Normally it's the higher OC'd cards that sometimes benefit from reducing clocks or tweaking voltage.

Easy Tune 6 is OK for checking on a few things but there are better OC'ing programs. It's one of the things I have turned off in System Configuration/Startup (ET Call Application).

[quote]so I feel reasonably confident in ruling out any form of overheating.[/quote]
Fair enough, and it is a recent build, so the dust shouldn't be too bad, but the gpu needs monitoring as well as the cpu. Especially when their are problems as it can be a problem with the card regardless of the quality of cooling.
It's just one step in the troubleshooting. It's no good assuming anything. It can lead to /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> Which reminds me. The machine is not on a carpeted floor (as with the stand-offs, it does happen) ?
You cards clocks aren't much over stock (822MHz) so I doubt they are a problem, but you never know. You should not need to go below 822MHz regardless, and if you did you would have cause for an RMA.

Normally it's the higher OC'd cards that sometimes benefit from reducing clocks or tweaking voltage.

Easy Tune 6 is OK for checking on a few things but there are better OC'ing programs. It's one of the things I have turned off in System Configuration/Startup (ET Call Application).

so I feel reasonably confident in ruling out any form of overheating.

Fair enough, and it is a recent build, so the dust shouldn't be too bad, but the gpu needs monitoring as well as the cpu. Especially when their are problems as it can be a problem with the card regardless of the quality of cooling.

It's just one step in the troubleshooting. It's no good assuming anything. It can lead to /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' /> Which reminds me. The machine is not on a carpeted floor (as with the stand-offs, it does happen) ?

Posted 02/02/2012 08:00 AM   
I am visiting different forums that are labeled with this error, so my information may have already been suggested or tried but i hope it helps out. There are many things that can cause a crash, or TDR time out, here is just 1 suggestion that worked for me.

At 1st i purchased a gigabye geforce 560 ti Card, and not too long after all my drivers were installed, cretin games would crash. The error message was either Open GL errors, or Display has stopped responding and recovered, listing my current driver version. Since then ive gone through what seems to be 100s of pages of forums, and troubleshooted every single fix or suggestion that is out there.

I RMAd my card and picked up a MSI geforce 560 ti, hoping the extra power and different company would fix my issues. It did seem to fix a few however i would still crash on a few games, Minecraft and skyrim for example. We all know minecraft is coded rather poorly but it should not be crashing on a new system built to run all new games at ultra settings.

I literary tried everything, but recently i came across something i skipped over. In my Device manager i noticed my sound devices had listed 5 "HD Audio Driver". My card came with audio drivers, and my motherboard had a on-board HD audio as well. At 1st i disabled my realtek Driver thinking that was my only audio issue but the crashes kept coming. I took a 2nd look a few days ago and noticed the drivers were still there but all labeled as HD Audio.

This time i disabled the Drivers form my video card from the System devices list, so they wouldn't auto detect and install again. then re installed the realtek driver for my motherboard. After that, i uninstalled my Cards drivers, and when it came to reinstall them, click clean install, and only check the graphics driver. If it does not have that option go back to the device manager and disable the cards sound drivers after you install, from the system devices, not Sound, video and game controllers.

Now on my list of audio devices, only the realtek shows, and since then, ive had no crashes or issues. however if i do ill update this post.

Make sure any time u install a new driver, use a nvidia driver sweeper to clean out the old files, those can build up errors and cause crashes as well.

Long story short, Sound drivers can conflict with your graphics. Having multiple installed at once, intentional or not can cause these issues, be sure to always check.
I am visiting different forums that are labeled with this error, so my information may have already been suggested or tried but i hope it helps out. There are many things that can cause a crash, or TDR time out, here is just 1 suggestion that worked for me.

At 1st i purchased a gigabye geforce 560 ti Card, and not too long after all my drivers were installed, cretin games would crash. The error message was either Open GL errors, or Display has stopped responding and recovered, listing my current driver version. Since then ive gone through what seems to be 100s of pages of forums, and troubleshooted every single fix or suggestion that is out there.

I RMAd my card and picked up a MSI geforce 560 ti, hoping the extra power and different company would fix my issues. It did seem to fix a few however i would still crash on a few games, Minecraft and skyrim for example. We all know minecraft is coded rather poorly but it should not be crashing on a new system built to run all new games at ultra settings.

I literary tried everything, but recently i came across something i skipped over. In my Device manager i noticed my sound devices had listed 5 "HD Audio Driver". My card came with audio drivers, and my motherboard had a on-board HD audio as well. At 1st i disabled my realtek Driver thinking that was my only audio issue but the crashes kept coming. I took a 2nd look a few days ago and noticed the drivers were still there but all labeled as HD Audio.

This time i disabled the Drivers form my video card from the System devices list, so they wouldn't auto detect and install again. then re installed the realtek driver for my motherboard. After that, i uninstalled my Cards drivers, and when it came to reinstall them, click clean install, and only check the graphics driver. If it does not have that option go back to the device manager and disable the cards sound drivers after you install, from the system devices, not Sound, video and game controllers.

Now on my list of audio devices, only the realtek shows, and since then, ive had no crashes or issues. however if i do ill update this post.

Make sure any time u install a new driver, use a nvidia driver sweeper to clean out the old files, those can build up errors and cause crashes as well.

Long story short, Sound drivers can conflict with your graphics. Having multiple installed at once, intentional or not can cause these issues, be sure to always check.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980

Memory: 8g DDR3 1600

Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+

PSU: 700w Corsair

GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit

Posted 02/11/2012 08:59 PM   
See this thread: [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=217362&st=49"]NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.62 stopped responding[/url]

Posted 02/12/2012 11:32 PM   
[quote name='Theshadowwolf89' date='11 February 2012 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1328993996' post='1368206']

[/quote]

Hey Buddy.

Thanks for the information. I d actually also come to a similar conclusion earlier today regarding the HD-audio, though I hadn't tried disabling them at system-devices, just the sound & control lol. That might be why the crashing continued.

Will give the above steps a shot tommorrow :)

Question: When you say you only installed the graphic driver, do you mean graphic driver & physx? Or literally just graphic-driver?

[quote name='Theshadowwolf89' date='11 February 2012 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1328993996' post='1368206']

Hey Buddy.

Thanks for the information. I d actually also come to a similar conclusion earlier today regarding the HD-audio, though I hadn't tried disabling them at system-devices, just the sound & control lol. That might be why the crashing continued.

Will give the above steps a shot tommorrow :)

Question: When you say you only installed the graphic driver, do you mean graphic driver & physx? Or literally just graphic-driver?

Posted 02/14/2012 03:11 AM   
Another way of saying what I said in my first post. Install the drivers and PhysX,
but don't install HD Audio unless you use HDMI. In which case you may want to disable Realtek audio (in BIOS or Services)
or uninstall the Realtek drivers (or both). No need installing 3D if you don't use it either.
A best practice option to keep a machine from getting cluttered with bloatware is to always choose the 'custom' install option when installing anything.

Don't allow drivers to be installed automatically by any method. All drivers, and Windows updates are better done manually. It goes a long way in preventing an occurrence of Murphy's Law.
Another way of saying what I said in my first post. Install the drivers and PhysX,

but don't install HD Audio unless you use HDMI. In which case you may want to disable Realtek audio (in BIOS or Services)

or uninstall the Realtek drivers (or both). No need installing 3D if you don't use it either.

A best practice option to keep a machine from getting cluttered with bloatware is to always choose the 'custom' install option when installing anything.

Don't allow drivers to be installed automatically by any method. All drivers, and Windows updates are better done manually. It goes a long way in preventing an occurrence of Murphy's Law.

Posted 02/14/2012 03:32 AM   
I don't use the on-board audio and I never installed the HD drivers from NV, yet I still had those black freezes on 285.62. YMMV.
I don't use the on-board audio and I never installed the HD drivers from NV, yet I still had those black freezes on 285.62. YMMV.

Posted 02/14/2012 05:30 AM   
Did you ever get around to using Clean Boot [i]ian [/i]? It may have helped find the conflict between HD audio and Realtek.

@ Wily O - Have you used 280.26 ? Still using 275.33 here, but don't have the current troublemakers - BF, SWTOR, etc.

The HD Audio driver does conflict with Realtek drivers, so it is a viable fix in the correct circumstances (HD Audio installed in system with Realtek audio).
There are many other possibilities, hardware/software. So it can keep going 'round and 'round if a "known, known" (thanks D.Cheney...) is not fixed while perusing "unknown, known's, or is that...?". /woot.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':woot:' />
Did you ever get around to using Clean Boot ian ? It may have helped find the conflict between HD audio and Realtek.

@ Wily O - Have you used 280.26 ? Still using 275.33 here, but don't have the current troublemakers - BF, SWTOR, etc.

The HD Audio driver does conflict with Realtek drivers, so it is a viable fix in the correct circumstances (HD Audio installed in system with Realtek audio).

There are many other possibilities, hardware/software. So it can keep going 'round and 'round if a "known, known" (thanks D.Cheney...) is not fixed while perusing "unknown, known's, or is that...?". /woot.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':woot:' />

Posted 02/14/2012 07:02 AM   
Yes I was running 280.26 and it seemed fine up until about an hour ago. Another crash. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Now I'm on 295.51, the most recent beta. We'll see...
Yes I was running 280.26 and it seemed fine up until about an hour ago. Another crash. /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Now I'm on 295.51, the most recent beta. We'll see...

Posted 02/14/2012 07:12 AM   
Yes install The graphic Drivers and PhysX. As for the option of disabling realtek, be sure when you do this that the motherboard doesn't automatically detect and install a sound driver again.
This was my 1st problem, when i figured getting rid of realtek would be enough, however i didn't notice that in the list of HD Audio, was 1 coming from my motherboard as well, without the Realtek title. To prevent that again, disable the sound device you are not using, if you uninstall, it will likely return. You can figure out which one is from your card and from your board from reading the information on the driver list, or simply disabling the device and watching which ones disappear.

And Wiley, just to be sure, look under your device manager and see if it looks anything like the attached image. [attachment=24276:Sound.png]
Make sure there is only 1 type of High Definition Audio Controller active, and there is only one type under Sound video and game controllers. However a Card with a HDMI port will often show up with multiple. If that's the case make sure it is all coming from the same source.

Also remember, always clean install Drivers by using a driver sweeper software, use custom installs to only install what you need, and to check for any conflicting drivers. In my experience with Nvidia drivers, the audio will not always come as a option you can disable. If that's the case just disable it yourself, or disable the preexisting audio drivers.

There are many things that can cause TDRs, or crashes such as these. Try running memtest, checking hardware compatibility, contacting your manufacturer. Sometimes its simply the fact that your asking too much from your card or it is overheating. of course ive read all of these things countless times, and tried every solution, until finally the sound fix is what resolved it.

So far my crashes have been greatly reduced, and my computer has become playable again.

I hope you find similar results.
Yes install The graphic Drivers and PhysX. As for the option of disabling realtek, be sure when you do this that the motherboard doesn't automatically detect and install a sound driver again.

This was my 1st problem, when i figured getting rid of realtek would be enough, however i didn't notice that in the list of HD Audio, was 1 coming from my motherboard as well, without the Realtek title. To prevent that again, disable the sound device you are not using, if you uninstall, it will likely return. You can figure out which one is from your card and from your board from reading the information on the driver list, or simply disabling the device and watching which ones disappear.

And Wiley, just to be sure, look under your device manager and see if it looks anything like the attached image. [attachment=24276:Sound.png]

Make sure there is only 1 type of High Definition Audio Controller active, and there is only one type under Sound video and game controllers. However a Card with a HDMI port will often show up with multiple. If that's the case make sure it is all coming from the same source.

Also remember, always clean install Drivers by using a driver sweeper software, use custom installs to only install what you need, and to check for any conflicting drivers. In my experience with Nvidia drivers, the audio will not always come as a option you can disable. If that's the case just disable it yourself, or disable the preexisting audio drivers.

There are many things that can cause TDRs, or crashes such as these. Try running memtest, checking hardware compatibility, contacting your manufacturer. Sometimes its simply the fact that your asking too much from your card or it is overheating. of course ive read all of these things countless times, and tried every solution, until finally the sound fix is what resolved it.

So far my crashes have been greatly reduced, and my computer has become playable again.

I hope you find similar results.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980

Memory: 8g DDR3 1600

Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+

PSU: 700w Corsair

GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit

Posted 02/14/2012 07:31 AM   
Right if you're not using the on-board audio you should disable it in the BIOS.
Right if you're not using the on-board audio you should disable it in the BIOS.

Posted 02/14/2012 07:36 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top