Two Problems with my GTX 260m
Hello all!

I've been having trouble installing the latest update (285.62) as well as any previous graphics driver updates. What I get is a black screen part way through the installation which does not recover and I am forced to shut down my computer. Why does this happen?

The second problem I'm having (which might be related to the unsucessfully installed drivers) is that my graphics display crashes very often. What happens is my screen blinks once or twice, and then I get a message on my taskbar saying that the display driver has crashed unexpectedly and recovered.

Is this a driver problem? Because reinstalling the driver isn't effective, and redownloading the installer doesn't alleviate the problem. Or could it be a problem with my graphic card itself?

Thanks in advance!
Hello all!

I've been having trouble installing the latest update (285.62) as well as any previous graphics driver updates. What I get is a black screen part way through the installation which does not recover and I am forced to shut down my computer. Why does this happen?

The second problem I'm having (which might be related to the unsucessfully installed drivers) is that my graphics display crashes very often. What happens is my screen blinks once or twice, and then I get a message on my taskbar saying that the display driver has crashed unexpectedly and recovered.

Is this a driver problem? Because reinstalling the driver isn't effective, and redownloading the installer doesn't alleviate the problem. Or could it be a problem with my graphic card itself?

Thanks in advance!

Posted 01/31/2012 02:08 AM   
The behaviors could be related to bad hardware. If possible, try to use the driver that originally came with your laptop. If problem still occurs, try to do a Windows restore or a complete system restore(image provided by your vendor) and see if problem persists. If yes, then you may want to contact your vendor for warranty service.
The behaviors could be related to bad hardware. If possible, try to use the driver that originally came with your laptop. If problem still occurs, try to do a Windows restore or a complete system restore(image provided by your vendor) and see if problem persists. If yes, then you may want to contact your vendor for warranty service.

NVIDIA Techical Support

Posted 02/01/2012 12:37 AM   
I have the same card and I am having exactly the same problem as your 2nd problem. When I play games, my graphics driver crashes randomly, screen goes black for 5 seconds and then windows recovers it by restoring the driver. This is a very big nuisance in Online games. I've been dealing with this over the last year but it's getting worse and worse. I have tried every thinkable solution. I have:
- Tried over 20 different drivers, even going back 2 years to a driver of which I knew 100% sure that it wasn't ocuring back then
- Opened up my laptop, removed all the dust and applied new cooling paste to ensure that the graphics card wasn't overheating (it gets around 85 degrees max.)
- Re-installing windows completely
- Installing a different windows version
- Increased the freeze detection timer in the registry (the time that it will wait before attempting to recover)

but none gave any result.
I tried various VRAM stresstests, none came up with any errors.

The weird thing with this problem is that it sometimes happens very randomly, but sometimes it doesn't, and it doesnt seem to be directly related to heat or performance stress.
For example when I'm playing a game with very simple graphics like Maplestory, I don't have the problem. When I open up two Maplestory's in windowed mode, the problem started occuring. Then I disabled Aero theme, and it didn't happen anymore when I had 2 maplestory clients running.
I recently purchased SW: The Old Republic. I could get through the beginner's area decently with a few random driver crashes that got recovered by Windows. But as soon as I arrived at a certain area, the driver keeps crashing in a row untill the game itself crashes as well.
Also another game called Runes of Magic that I tried already crashed the drivers during the first few seconds of the title screen, and it was impossible for me to get past it. I'm guessing some special effect or render is causing it.
I have the same card and I am having exactly the same problem as your 2nd problem. When I play games, my graphics driver crashes randomly, screen goes black for 5 seconds and then windows recovers it by restoring the driver. This is a very big nuisance in Online games. I've been dealing with this over the last year but it's getting worse and worse. I have tried every thinkable solution. I have:

- Tried over 20 different drivers, even going back 2 years to a driver of which I knew 100% sure that it wasn't ocuring back then

- Opened up my laptop, removed all the dust and applied new cooling paste to ensure that the graphics card wasn't overheating (it gets around 85 degrees max.)

- Re-installing windows completely

- Installing a different windows version

- Increased the freeze detection timer in the registry (the time that it will wait before attempting to recover)

but none gave any result.

I tried various VRAM stresstests, none came up with any errors.

The weird thing with this problem is that it sometimes happens very randomly, but sometimes it doesn't, and it doesnt seem to be directly related to heat or performance stress.

For example when I'm playing a game with very simple graphics like Maplestory, I don't have the problem. When I open up two Maplestory's in windowed mode, the problem started occuring. Then I disabled Aero theme, and it didn't happen anymore when I had 2 maplestory clients running.

I recently purchased SW: The Old Republic. I could get through the beginner's area decently with a few random driver crashes that got recovered by Windows. But as soon as I arrived at a certain area, the driver keeps crashing in a row untill the game itself crashes as well.

Also another game called Runes of Magic that I tried already crashed the drivers during the first few seconds of the title screen, and it was impossible for me to get past it. I'm guessing some special effect or render is causing it.

Posted 02/01/2012 06:05 AM   
Scroll To Top