Game performance is awful, please help! playing games my gpu usage of my gtx 560 ti 448 cores u
  1 / 2    
Ok so I have been working day and night trying to get my computer to play games right. Just recently my rig started to stutter constantly on every game no matter what settings. In one way or another it would stutter. And in some games like crysis warhead my GPU (GTX 560 ti 448 cores) usage would go up and down constantly when it shouldn't. It doesn't just happen sometimes. It's all the time. My GPU will be at a steady 99% and then for no reason drop to around 40%. ?? and then climb slowly back up. I have ALL power management that I know of disabled. It's not the GPU because it started when I had an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in my rig. Thats when it all started so I bought a brand new GTX460ti 448 cores GPU and a brand new WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Drive thinking that something had to be wrong with one of them. but it isn't. I've tried all drivers. did many restores and reinstallation of windows 7 64bit. maybe CPU bad? but it was perfect before all that. WHAT CAN IT BE? PLEASE HELP!!! IT LITERALLY MAKES ME SICK TO WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE PLAYING A GAME.

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz @ 3.6 Ghz
VIDEO: EVGA GTX 460 ti 448 cores
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB 64mb cache
M.B.: 790i Ultra SLI LGA Socket 775
MEMORY: 4GB Corsair XMP CMXG4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB 9-9-9-24 (i have had 4x2GB but now won't post with all 8GB)
POWER: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Cable management

I also have the latest bios. please any help at all will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info at all let me know. thanks
Ok so I have been working day and night trying to get my computer to play games right. Just recently my rig started to stutter constantly on every game no matter what settings. In one way or another it would stutter. And in some games like crysis warhead my GPU (GTX 560 ti 448 cores) usage would go up and down constantly when it shouldn't. It doesn't just happen sometimes. It's all the time. My GPU will be at a steady 99% and then for no reason drop to around 40%. ?? and then climb slowly back up. I have ALL power management that I know of disabled. It's not the GPU because it started when I had an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in my rig. Thats when it all started so I bought a brand new GTX460ti 448 cores GPU and a brand new WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Drive thinking that something had to be wrong with one of them. but it isn't. I've tried all drivers. did many restores and reinstallation of windows 7 64bit. maybe CPU bad? but it was perfect before all that. WHAT CAN IT BE? PLEASE HELP!!! IT LITERALLY MAKES ME SICK TO WATCH THE SCREEN WHILE PLAYING A GAME.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 Ghz @ 3.6 Ghz

VIDEO: EVGA GTX 460 ti 448 cores

HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB 64mb cache

M.B.: 790i Ultra SLI LGA Socket 775

MEMORY: 4GB Corsair XMP CMXG4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB 9-9-9-24 (i have had 4x2GB but now won't post with all 8GB)

POWER: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Cable management

I also have the latest bios. please any help at all will be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info at all let me know. thanks

Posted 01/30/2012 12:39 AM   
Well on one good note, you know its not the Videocard, the Harddrive, Windows.

Im curious if you have a VOLTAGE / TEMP monitoring software for that motherboard.

Have you actually CLeared the CMOS using any onboard jumper or switch with it unplugged from the wall?

Im curious if you have a VOLTAGE / TEMP monitoring software for that motherboard.

Have you actually CLeared the CMOS using any onboard jumper or switch with it unplugged from the wall?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 01/30/2012 01:48 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='29 January 2012 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1327888082' post='1362393']

[/quote]

Thank you for your quick reply. and Yes I have cleared CMOS at least 50 times, took the battery out for 30 minutes, changed battery, and of course in the bios is where i do all my OC'ing and for software I use and have used CPUID, EVGA Precision, OC scanner, but what software would you suggest?
and also when my usage is very low on my GTX 560 ti 448 classified GPU my FPS is also very low. (around 10fps) and when i had it working right before this happened the HD 5770 worked excellent. so I just wish I knew what has happened. So what VOLTAGE/TEMP monitoring software would you suggest?
[quote name='Greybear' date='29 January 2012 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1327888082' post='1362393']

Thank you for your quick reply. and Yes I have cleared CMOS at least 50 times, took the battery out for 30 minutes, changed battery, and of course in the bios is where i do all my OC'ing and for software I use and have used CPUID, EVGA Precision, OC scanner, but what software would you suggest?

and also when my usage is very low on my GTX 560 ti 448 classified GPU my FPS is also very low. (around 10fps) and when i had it working right before this happened the HD 5770 worked excellent. so I just wish I knew what has happened. So what VOLTAGE/TEMP monitoring software would you suggest?

Posted 01/30/2012 03:49 AM   
Unless you have some special cooling I'd say it's heat from overclocking, dust in the vents or the desktop tower hidden in a cubby hole can do that...

Try stock-clocking everything and see if that fixes it (Also try running a program called "speccy" to see what temperature your rig is at when you stutter)
Unless you have some special cooling I'd say it's heat from overclocking, dust in the vents or the desktop tower hidden in a cubby hole can do that...

Try stock-clocking everything and see if that fixes it (Also try running a program called "speccy" to see what temperature your rig is at when you stutter)

Ultimate Gaming Rig:

Dell Latitude XT2

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core 2 Duo U9600 1.6 GHz

3GB DDR3 1200MHz underclocked to 800 MHz (YAY DELL!)

Intel GMA4500MHD

156GB SATAII 5400RPM HDD

Cold Boot Time: 12 Seconds to desktop (Take that Lenovo with i5 + SSD & 40 second boot)

Posted 01/30/2012 11:52 AM   
I was meaning more of one from the motherboard manufacturer. One that would show the 3.3 / 5 / 12v rails and temps with realtime updating (approx. 3sec intervals)

When a PSU starts to die, only 1 rail has to be giving out.
I was meaning more of one from the motherboard manufacturer. One that would show the 3.3 / 5 / 12v rails and temps with realtime updating (approx. 3sec intervals)

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 01/30/2012 12:46 PM   
Yeah, but I'm not 100% sure that the symptoms fit, in my experience (Though I've only ever had 2 PSUs die on me, so this may be the exception to the rule) when the PSU goes you get random reboots or bluescreens under load, rather than components nicely underclocking themselves.

IMO It's most likely heat -- There's a "thermal event" (As the logging stuff I use calls them) which results in underclocking of components followed by a gradual up-clocking (Correct term?) as the component cools... (The CPU is massively overclocked -- would never survive under stock cooling afaik)
Yeah, but I'm not 100% sure that the symptoms fit, in my experience (Though I've only ever had 2 PSUs die on me, so this may be the exception to the rule) when the PSU goes you get random reboots or bluescreens under load, rather than components nicely underclocking themselves.

IMO It's most likely heat -- There's a "thermal event" (As the logging stuff I use calls them) which results in underclocking of components followed by a gradual up-clocking (Correct term?) as the component cools... (The CPU is massively overclocked -- would never survive under stock cooling afaik)

Ultimate Gaming Rig:

Dell Latitude XT2

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core 2 Duo U9600 1.6 GHz

3GB DDR3 1200MHz underclocked to 800 MHz (YAY DELL!)

Intel GMA4500MHD

156GB SATAII 5400RPM HDD

Cold Boot Time: 12 Seconds to desktop (Take that Lenovo with i5 + SSD & 40 second boot)

Posted 01/30/2012 12:57 PM   
[quote name='Evilhamburger' date='30 January 2012 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1327928241' post='1362539']

[/quote]

Ok so you think my CPU is overheating and underclocking itself until it cools off and then goes back up and a few seconds later back down and so on? That may very well be right because every now and then as the computer is booting it will say CPU FAN FAILURE. But I have had the case off watching it and the fan is staying steady so I wasn't really concerned about it too much. But I have took the heatsink and fan off and cleaned it and put ARCTIC SILVER #5 back on it very carefully so what could be causing it? I am going to download a program to monitor the heat on the motherboard and cpu right now and see where the temps are at during a game. I will post them back on here shortly and THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING. I have been at a loss here and it's driving me nuts.
[quote name='Evilhamburger' date='30 January 2012 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1327928241' post='1362539']

Ok so you think my CPU is overheating and underclocking itself until it cools off and then goes back up and a few seconds later back down and so on? That may very well be right because every now and then as the computer is booting it will say CPU FAN FAILURE. But I have had the case off watching it and the fan is staying steady so I wasn't really concerned about it too much. But I have took the heatsink and fan off and cleaned it and put ARCTIC SILVER #5 back on it very carefully so what could be causing it? I am going to download a program to monitor the heat on the motherboard and cpu right now and see where the temps are at during a game. I will post them back on here shortly and THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING. I have been at a loss here and it's driving me nuts.

Posted 01/31/2012 12:52 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 January 2012 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1327927613' post='1362533']

[/quote]

Ok I am going to try and find something to monitor the voltage, temps and the heat on cpu and motherboard right now and see what the temps are while gaming. I will post the results back on here shortly and THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I really appreciate it.
[quote name='Greybear' date='30 January 2012 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1327927613' post='1362533']

Ok I am going to try and find something to monitor the voltage, temps and the heat on cpu and motherboard right now and see what the temps are while gaming. I will post the results back on here shortly and THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. I really appreciate it.

Posted 01/31/2012 12:55 AM   

[/quote]

And also you are saying that you don't think that my CPU would stay cool enough on air at 3.6 Ghz? stock is 2.93 ghz but I didn't think that it would need water cooling since I have 2 fans on the CPU and 5 more fans in there. But I may be wrong?

And also you are saying that you don't think that my CPU would stay cool enough on air at 3.6 Ghz? stock is 2.93 ghz but I didn't think that it would need water cooling since I have 2 fans on the CPU and 5 more fans in there. But I may be wrong?

Posted 01/31/2012 01:02 AM   
Ok I got the system monitor from nvidia and my motherboard temp at idle with ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS AND SPEEDS is 60 DEGREES

and according to what I have read that is way too high right? and it isn't giving me a warning? CPU TEMP IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE

PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE HERE. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WOULD JUST START RUNNING HOT ALL OF THE SUDDEN THOUGH?

\
Ok I got the system monitor from nvidia and my motherboard temp at idle with ALL DEFAULT SETTINGS AND SPEEDS is 60 DEGREES

and according to what I have read that is way too high right? and it isn't giving me a warning? CPU TEMP IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE

PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE HERE. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WOULD JUST START RUNNING HOT ALL OF THE SUDDEN THOUGH?

\

Posted 01/31/2012 04:31 AM   
[quote name='TCate1124' date='30 January 2012 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1327971747' post='1362785']
[/quote]

MOTHERBOARD TEMP IS 60 DEGREES AT IDLE WHICH IS WAY TOO HOT RIGHT? CPU TEMP IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE
[quote name='TCate1124' date='30 January 2012 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1327971747' post='1362785']

MOTHERBOARD TEMP IS 60 DEGREES AT IDLE WHICH IS WAY TOO HOT RIGHT? CPU TEMP IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE

Posted 01/31/2012 04:32 AM   

[/quote]

MOTHERBOARD TEMP IS WAY TOO HIGH AT 60 DEGREES AND CPU IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE I KNOW THAT IS WAY TOO HOT BUT I HAVE 7 FANS RUNNING THROUGH THERE AND IT WASN'T RUNNING HOT BEFORE BECAUSE I'M GUESSING THAT IS WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. BUT THAT IS WITH EVERYTHING AT STOCK SPEEDS?

MOTHERBOARD TEMP IS WAY TOO HIGH AT 60 DEGREES AND CPU IS 41 DEGREES AT IDLE I KNOW THAT IS WAY TOO HOT BUT I HAVE 7 FANS RUNNING THROUGH THERE AND IT WASN'T RUNNING HOT BEFORE BECAUSE I'M GUESSING THAT IS WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. BUT THAT IS WITH EVERYTHING AT STOCK SPEEDS?

Posted 01/31/2012 04:35 AM   
ok i checked this morning and all of these were ok and now in the bios it is saying

Vcore Voltage: 4.16v - (in red)
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52v
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.13v
Memory Voltage: 1.66v
NB Core Voltage: 1.34v
SB Core Voltage: 1.52v
DDR3 Termination Voltage 0.813v
3.3V Voltage 4.08v - (in red)
5V Voltage: 6.85v - (in red)
12V Voltage: 16.32v - (in red)

So it says it's getting too much voltage what causes that???

--well i just tested my every part of my psu with a digital volt meter and it is right on so it must be motherboard going bad or something with it. I have had trouble OC'ing this mobo ever since I've had it but when I had it right it was great. any body else had this problem at all??? thanks
ok i checked this morning and all of these were ok and now in the bios it is saying

Vcore Voltage: 4.16v - (in red)

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.52v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.13v

Memory Voltage: 1.66v

NB Core Voltage: 1.34v

SB Core Voltage: 1.52v

DDR3 Termination Voltage 0.813v

3.3V Voltage 4.08v - (in red)

5V Voltage: 6.85v - (in red)

12V Voltage: 16.32v - (in red)

So it says it's getting too much voltage what causes that???

--well i just tested my every part of my psu with a digital volt meter and it is right on so it must be motherboard going bad or something with it. I have had trouble OC'ing this mobo ever since I've had it but when I had it right it was great. any body else had this problem at all??? thanks

Posted 01/31/2012 05:13 AM   
- stop shouting
- cpu fan stays steady and you were not concerned??????????????? /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
- 60°C for the motherboard is not dangerously high
- if the bios displays those voltages, then it's either you motherboard died or your psu, or both.
- stop shouting

- cpu fan stays steady and you were not concerned??????????????? /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

- if the bios displays those voltages, then it's either you motherboard died or your psu, or both.
Posted 01/31/2012 08:51 AM   
[quote name='bsh' date='31 January 2012 - 03:51 AM' timestamp='1327999902' post='1362892']
- stop shouting
[/quote]

thanks for the reply the cpu fan failure would come on maybe once a month and if i watch it on pc probe II, about every 30 seconds just for a split second it will say -OPT 1 fan failure!- but it stays steady too. but like I said earlier I checked every pin on my PSU with a multimeter and all voltages are right so I know its not the PSU. What is wierd is now when I play a game my CPU usage is maxxed out 100% and I know people say that is bottlenecking but it did not do it before. So i'm still stumped
[quote name='bsh' date='31 January 2012 - 03:51 AM' timestamp='1327999902' post='1362892']

- stop shouting

thanks for the reply the cpu fan failure would come on maybe once a month and if i watch it on pc probe II, about every 30 seconds just for a split second it will say -OPT 1 fan failure!- but it stays steady too. but like I said earlier I checked every pin on my PSU with a multimeter and all voltages are right so I know its not the PSU. What is wierd is now when I play a game my CPU usage is maxxed out 100% and I know people say that is bottlenecking but it did not do it before. So i'm still stumped

Posted 01/31/2012 09:00 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top