120Hz IPS ? When ?
Any idea when are they supposed to come out ?

[QUOTE]
[B]hardforummarc[/B]

I'm building a new gaming rig right now and I need to know what I want as a display.
From what I hear, 120Hz TN and 60Hz IPS both have their Pro and Con.....Making it hard to make a decision...

Any of you know when are the new gen Display are coming ? Are we talking about IPS 120Hz only or is there anything else to be released soon ? OLED (just heard of it..)

My #1 priority is to have the most beautiful and smooth 2D visual gaming experience possible.. (no competitive gaming or such, it that can be a factor of decision).
I see as many peoples swearing by the 120Hz as for the 60Hz IPS ... this is getting confusing..

The rig will be for gaming only.

[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] i7 2600K
[B]GPU:[/B] AMD Radeon HD 7970 CF
[B]Hard Drive:[/B] SSD SATA3 160GB
[B]Pw supply:[/B] Corsair HX1050
[B]Memory:[/B] 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 MHz
[B]Mobo:[/B] ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
[B]OS:[/B] win 7 64-bit
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

hardforummarc

I'm building a new gaming rig right now and I need to know what I want as a display.

From what I hear, 120Hz TN and 60Hz IPS both have their Pro and Con.....Making it hard to make a decision...

Any of you know when are the new gen Display are coming ? Are we talking about IPS 120Hz only or is there anything else to be released soon ? OLED (just heard of it..)

My #1 priority is to have the most beautiful and smooth 2D visual gaming experience possible.. (no competitive gaming or such, it that can be a factor of decision).

I see as many peoples swearing by the 120Hz as for the 60Hz IPS ... this is getting confusing..

The rig will be for gaming only.

CPU: i7 2600K

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 CF

Hard Drive: SSD SATA3 160GB

Pw supply: Corsair HX1050

Memory: 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 MHz

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

[/QUOTE]

Posted 01/30/2012 12:11 AM   
[quote name='gtxmarcc' date='29 January 2012 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1327882275' post='1362375']
[/quote]From what I have heard, I don't think it will happen. Either go with a low res 1080p TN 120hz panel or go for a 1440 IPS panel capable or doing 90hz.

For IPS both the Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270 displays have been getting a lot of attention. They can be had for less then $400 on ebay and are shipped directly from Korea. So returns at this point are impossible. It's best to research the topic to know what exactly you are in for.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

I still prefer 120hz TN panels as the motion is distinctly more smooth and after all the is the point of my interest with these displays in the first place. 2d 120hz, not 3d or high res.

Currently it is the ASUS VG278H that has been getting mt attention. Just not sure when to pull the trigger. FYI you may want to do it sooner than later as 120hz panels seem to be disappearing from the market.
[quote name='gtxmarcc' date='29 January 2012 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1327882275' post='1362375']

From what I have heard, I don't think it will happen. Either go with a low res 1080p TN 120hz panel or go for a 1440 IPS panel capable or doing 90hz.

For IPS both the Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270 displays have been getting a lot of attention. They can be had for less then $400 on ebay and are shipped directly from Korea. So returns at this point are impossible. It's best to research the topic to know what exactly you are in for.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

I still prefer 120hz TN panels as the motion is distinctly more smooth and after all the is the point of my interest with these displays in the first place. 2d 120hz, not 3d or high res.

Currently it is the ASUS VG278H that has been getting mt attention. Just not sure when to pull the trigger. FYI you may want to do it sooner than later as 120hz panels seem to be disappearing from the market.

Posted 03/25/2012 09:22 PM   
I'm not exactly sure when we'll see true 120Hz IPS panels, but LG will have passive 3D IPS panels out sometime this year. See [url="http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/33065-lg-unveil-high-quality-ips-3d-monitors-ces-2012/"][b]here[/b][/url].

I would definitely recommend a quality IPS panel over a 120Hz TN any day of the week, as the 2D picture quality is far superior on IPS panels. There is a reason that all the most popular tablets (like the iPAD and ASUS Transformer) use high-quality S-IPS displays. AMOLED is also becoming more popular (especially in devices with smaller 4.5 inch screens) and this technology is far superior to any LCD, let alone TN LCDs.

TN tech is rare or non-existent in other markets (like HDTV's and mobile devices) due to it's disadvantages compared to IPS LCD and AMOLED. TN thrives only in the budget\gaming PC monitor segment, due to it's low manufacturing cost and excellent response time. However, recent 60Hz IPS displays are easily fast enough for gaming, both in terms of pixel response and input lag. They're just not quite fast enough for true 120Hz refresh rates at this point, which makes manufacturing a 120Hz IPS display nearly impossible.
I'm not exactly sure when we'll see true 120Hz IPS panels, but LG will have passive 3D IPS panels out sometime this year. See here.

I would definitely recommend a quality IPS panel over a 120Hz TN any day of the week, as the 2D picture quality is far superior on IPS panels. There is a reason that all the most popular tablets (like the iPAD and ASUS Transformer) use high-quality S-IPS displays. AMOLED is also becoming more popular (especially in devices with smaller 4.5 inch screens) and this technology is far superior to any LCD, let alone TN LCDs.

TN tech is rare or non-existent in other markets (like HDTV's and mobile devices) due to it's disadvantages compared to IPS LCD and AMOLED. TN thrives only in the budget\gaming PC monitor segment, due to it's low manufacturing cost and excellent response time. However, recent 60Hz IPS displays are easily fast enough for gaming, both in terms of pixel response and input lag. They're just not quite fast enough for true 120Hz refresh rates at this point, which makes manufacturing a 120Hz IPS display nearly impossible.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 03/25/2012 11:28 PM   
Scroll To Top