Do PSU Watts affect gameplay performance?
  1 / 10    
I'm asking the question cause I am experiencing a lot of lagging with my gtx 560 ti msi twin frozr ii oc card while i have a 650 w psu?im thinking of buying an 800w one.will this solve my issue?
I'm asking the question cause I am experiencing a lot of lagging with my gtx 560 ti msi twin frozr ii oc card while i have a 650 w psu?im thinking of buying an 800w one.will this solve my issue?

[b][/b]Jimmy

Posted 01/29/2012 06:54 PM   
no if u did not havre the watts to run the gpu would not start ...650 for 1 ti is fine...can you list all your specs like cpu gpu psu motherboard ram....

also is your motherboard on the latest bios for it?

lag may be your cpu or the game your playing may be too hard on your ti....
no if u did not havre the watts to run the gpu would not start ...650 for 1 ti is fine...can you list all your specs like cpu gpu psu motherboard ram....

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 01/29/2012 07:09 PM   
[quote name='MontyQ' date='29 January 2012 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1327864182' post='1362296']

[/quote]

Actually, this is not entirely true. A graphics card eats a lot less power when it's not loaded. The computer would still turn on and function normally until introduced to an application which get's offset to the card, at which point, the machine would either crash, or spontaneously turn itself off.

That being said, as long as the PSU wasn't made by "Chinese Garbage Inc.", it should be ok.
[quote name='MontyQ' date='29 January 2012 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1327864182' post='1362296']

Actually, this is not entirely true. A graphics card eats a lot less power when it's not loaded. The computer would still turn on and function normally until introduced to an application which get's offset to the card, at which point, the machine would either crash, or spontaneously turn itself off.

That being said, as long as the PSU wasn't made by "Chinese Garbage Inc.", it should be ok.
Hold your hand near the air vent at the back of the PSU while gaming and see how warm the air is that it is blowing out. Excessively hot air means something probably isn't good with your computer configuration. (Computer case may be of poor design or your PSU is indeed inadequate.

List what your PSU actually is or at least the amperage's on the +12v rails.
Hold your hand near the air vent at the back of the PSU while gaming and see how warm the air is that it is blowing out. Excessively hot air means something probably isn't good with your computer configuration. (Computer case may be of poor design or your PSU is indeed inadequate.

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500GB SATA2 HDD's | Auzentech Forte S/C | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2048MB | Windows 7 Home Premium: Service Pack 1 - x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.

Posted 01/30/2012 02:29 AM   
Funny this topic should come up, this was something i was searching for last week. I spent the better part of two evenings looking for the answer to this very question. For the most part 99.9% of the people would say that a poor or failing psu will have no effect on performance. A poor of failing psu will only result in a crash or complete shut down.

I questioned that, I also searched for "poor quality" power or power that ripples or for a better word is not "clean" and this question returned slightly different responses. While most would still hold fast to the notion that the result would be crash or shutdown there were a few who would suggest that a psu without "clean power" could indeed cause system slowdown, fps loss, performance loss. Now they used big fancy words but the boilded down version would be that if a cpu/gpu is struggling with minor power/voltage issues, things what cause a hard working processor to starve then there is the possiblity that it could corrupt some information causing the processor to resend the information that was corrupted, this in return eats cpu cycles causing slowdowns in performance ie. fps. These issues would not cause a complete shutdown or crash so you have no idea its happeining, you would not even recieve and error message as the processor does eventualy get the the instructions completed but not befor multiple attempts.

Whatever, for what its worth thats what my searching has come up with. Just food for though /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
Funny this topic should come up, this was something i was searching for last week. I spent the better part of two evenings looking for the answer to this very question. For the most part 99.9% of the people would say that a poor or failing psu will have no effect on performance. A poor of failing psu will only result in a crash or complete shut down.

I questioned that, I also searched for "poor quality" power or power that ripples or for a better word is not "clean" and this question returned slightly different responses. While most would still hold fast to the notion that the result would be crash or shutdown there were a few who would suggest that a psu without "clean power" could indeed cause system slowdown, fps loss, performance loss. Now they used big fancy words but the boilded down version would be that if a cpu/gpu is struggling with minor power/voltage issues, things what cause a hard working processor to starve then there is the possiblity that it could corrupt some information causing the processor to resend the information that was corrupted, this in return eats cpu cycles causing slowdowns in performance ie. fps. These issues would not cause a complete shutdown or crash so you have no idea its happeining, you would not even recieve and error message as the processor does eventualy get the the instructions completed but not befor multiple attempts.

Whatever, for what its worth thats what my searching has come up with. Just food for though /tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
Posted 01/30/2012 03:47 AM   
[quote name='cravinmild' date='29 January 2012 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1327895241' post='1362412']

[/quote]

I think for this effect, the power being demanded and the power being supplied have to be awfully close to have the machine just slow down instead of crash or turn off. Like, the machine requires 650 +/- so-many-watts and the unit is providing 645 +/- so-many-watts...
[quote name='cravinmild' date='29 January 2012 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1327895241' post='1362412']

I think for this effect, the power being demanded and the power being supplied have to be awfully close to have the machine just slow down instead of crash or turn off. Like, the machine requires 650 +/- so-many-watts and the unit is providing 645 +/- so-many-watts...
[quote name='MontyQ' date='29 January 2012 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1327864182' post='1362296']

[/quote]
Hello MontyQ.I thank you and all the others for the quick replies.Anyway,I am replying to your question and this is my rig:
-amd phenom ii x6 1055t 2.8 ghz
-msi gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii oc 1 gb
-gigabyte ud3-890xa-ua motherboard
-corsair 1333 mhz ram 4 gb
-caviar black western digital 7200 rpm,6 gb/s,32 mb cache,500 gb sata (local disk)
-western digital green sata 1.3 tb,5400 rpm,3 gb/s,64 mb cache (second disk)
-coolermaster gx 650 650 w psu with 52 A at the 12 volt rail
-apex 3620 vortex case
-lg w2363d-pf monitor lcd tft 120 hz 23 ''
-microphone,keyboard,mouse,speakers (lol)

yes,my m/b bios are updated to the latest (everything is updated to the latest),my pc is clean cause i formatted it before some days,i did everything you can imagine and i cannot believe that i experience low fps in games while one of my friends has a worse pc than mine and all the games work great on him.the game the fps dropdown happens mostly is saints row the third and gta iv,but,sometimes i even experience lagging in garrys mod!!

any other suggestions??

p.s. here are 2 links you should check:

1.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=221400 (my topic about my lagging problem in a more detailed way)

2.http://www.schrockinnovations.com/computer-power-supply-calculator/ (the reason why i came here.after going on the site to measure the watts that should be needed for my system,i came to the conclusion that i should have 780 watts.that's why i asked the question here.)

i am waiting for a reply as soon as possible... /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
[quote name='MontyQ' date='29 January 2012 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1327864182' post='1362296']

Hello MontyQ.I thank you and all the others for the quick replies.Anyway,I am replying to your question and this is my rig:

-amd phenom ii x6 1055t 2.8 ghz

-msi gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii oc 1 gb

-gigabyte ud3-890xa-ua motherboard

-corsair 1333 mhz ram 4 gb

-caviar black western digital 7200 rpm,6 gb/s,32 mb cache,500 gb sata (local disk)

-western digital green sata 1.3 tb,5400 rpm,3 gb/s,64 mb cache (second disk)

-coolermaster gx 650 650 w psu with 52 A at the 12 volt rail

-apex 3620 vortex case

-lg w2363d-pf monitor lcd tft 120 hz 23 ''

-microphone,keyboard,mouse,speakers (lol)

yes,my m/b bios are updated to the latest (everything is updated to the latest),my pc is clean cause i formatted it before some days,i did everything you can imagine and i cannot believe that i experience low fps in games while one of my friends has a worse pc than mine and all the games work great on him.the game the fps dropdown happens mostly is saints row the third and gta iv,but,sometimes i even experience lagging in garrys mod!!

any other suggestions??

p.s. here are 2 links you should check:

1.http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=221400 (my topic about my lagging problem in a more detailed way)

2.http://www.schrockinnovations.com/computer-power-supply-calculator/ (the reason why i came here.after going on the site to measure the watts that should be needed for my system,i came to the conclusion that i should have 780 watts.that's why i asked the question here.)

i am waiting for a reply as soon as possible... /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

[b][/b]Jimmy

Posted 01/30/2012 04:56 PM   
[quote name='Franpa' date='30 January 2012 - 02:29 AM' timestamp='1327890594' post='1362399']

[/quote]
hello franpa.these are the specifications of my psu:

It is the coolermaster gx 650 w with 52 amperage on the 12 volt rail (all the other volt rails are 25 amperage).its efficiency is ranked as 80 % and higher

p.s. http://www.schrockinnovations.com/computer-power-supply-calculator/ - the reason why i came here (go to the site and put these specifications based on my rig:six core, 4 gb ram,high end graphics card,m/b regular desktop,sata x2,none solid states,1 x dvd rom)
[quote name='Franpa' date='30 January 2012 - 02:29 AM' timestamp='1327890594' post='1362399']

hello franpa.these are the specifications of my psu:

It is the coolermaster gx 650 w with 52 amperage on the 12 volt rail (all the other volt rails are 25 amperage).its efficiency is ranked as 80 % and higher

p.s. http://www.schrockinnovations.com/computer-power-supply-calculator/ - the reason why i came here (go to the site and put these specifications based on my rig:six core, 4 gb ram,high end graphics card,m/b regular desktop,sata x2,none solid states,1 x dvd rom)

[b][/b]Jimmy

Posted 01/30/2012 05:01 PM   
I'm not sure why you complained about the speed in which you yourself reply at but yes, 52amps on the +12v rail and 650 watts should both be more then sufficient to power your video card. Make sure that you have plugged in any additional power cables that the video card may require.
I'm not sure why you complained about the speed in which you yourself reply at but yes, 52amps on the +12v rail and 650 watts should both be more then sufficient to power your video card. Make sure that you have plugged in any additional power cables that the video card may require.

Custom built PC | Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500GB SATA2 HDD's | Auzentech Forte S/C | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2048MB | Windows 7 Home Premium: Service Pack 1 - x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.

Posted 02/01/2012 11:12 PM   
[quote name='Franpa' date='01 February 2012 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1328137969' post='1363862']
[/quote]
''Plugged in any additional cable'' ??What kind of suggestion is this??Do you believe that I am stupid or what??It is like saying ''Do not forget to use a glass of water to drink water'' )lol).It is obvious that I already have connected all the proper cables..
[quote name='Franpa' date='01 February 2012 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1328137969' post='1363862']

''Plugged in any additional cable'' ??What kind of suggestion is this??Do you believe that I am stupid or what??It is like saying ''Do not forget to use a glass of water to drink water'' )lol).It is obvious that I already have connected all the proper cables..

[b][/b]Jimmy

Posted 02/02/2012 04:22 PM   
[quote name='JimmyzzzX' date='02 February 2012 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1328199734' post='1364200']
[/quote]
lol
[quote name='JimmyzzzX' date='02 February 2012 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1328199734' post='1364200']

lol

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 02/02/2012 08:35 PM   
[/quote]

"Thank you" would have worked too.

[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='03 February 2012 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1328227555' post='1364383']
[/quote]
none of your business
[quote name='Heedless_onE' date='03 February 2012 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1328227555' post='1364383']

none of your business

[b][/b]Jimmy

Posted 02/03/2012 01:15 PM   
You'd be surprised how often it slips people's minds to plug in all additional PSU cables for the mobo & GPU. The system WILL boot up without the GPU plugs in, but it won't game at all, as the GPU will stay in low power state to stay within the 75Ws the slot can feed it.

Explain more please. What are you experiencing lag in, like what games specifically? What resolution are you playing at and what settings? If you're playing BF3 @ 1080p for instance, a single GTX 560 Ti is simply not enough to run that game maxed out without experiencing lag, especially on the multiplayer in large-player-count servers.
You'd be surprised how often it slips people's minds to plug in all additional PSU cables for the mobo & GPU. The system WILL boot up without the GPU plugs in, but it won't game at all, as the GPU will stay in low power state to stay within the 75Ws the slot can feed it.

Explain more please. What are you experiencing lag in, like what games specifically? What resolution are you playing at and what settings? If you're playing BF3 @ 1080p for instance, a single GTX 560 Ti is simply not enough to run that game maxed out without experiencing lag, especially on the multiplayer in large-player-count servers.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 02/03/2012 03:13 PM   
[quote name='JimmyzzzX' date='03 February 2012 - 02:22 AM' timestamp='1328199734' post='1364200']
[/quote]
No need to get nasty, it's a fairly common thing people forget to do. @ Honey Badger I noticed with my BFG 8800GT the computer would turn on but there wouldn't be any display if the 6pin plug wasn't connected, also the card emits a high pitched squeal in that situation. It got me blood pumping real quick thinking I buggered something up and my card was dying after just getting it home from the shop >.>"
[quote name='JimmyzzzX' date='03 February 2012 - 02:22 AM' timestamp='1328199734' post='1364200']

No need to get nasty, it's a fairly common thing people forget to do. @ Honey Badger I noticed with my BFG 8800GT the computer would turn on but there wouldn't be any display if the 6pin plug wasn't connected, also the card emits a high pitched squeal in that situation. It got me blood pumping real quick thinking I buggered something up and my card was dying after just getting it home from the shop >.>"

Posted 02/03/2012 05:13 PM   
  1 / 10    
Scroll To Top